Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Remember when Marisa Tomei won the best supporting actress Oscar for My Cousin Vinny, and people were really salty about it (and still are!)?

gently caress that noise. Marisa Tomei owned that role and deserved that Oscar :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Whether someone’s maddest about Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakespeare in Love, Brokeback Mountain losing to Crash or Marisa Tomei winning for my cousin Vinny is one of the great character tests frankly

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

The Oscars acknowledge the true cinematic greats such as the Academy Award nominated film Norbit but the Golden Globes do not.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Whether someone’s maddest about Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakespeare in Love, Brokeback Mountain losing to Crash or Marisa Tomei winning for my cousin Vinny is one of the great character tests frankly

:hmmyes: :agreed:

Also, going back to the 1950s, High Noon losing out to The Greatest Show on Earth. Who the gently caress wants to watch a movie about clowns??

Unless it’s Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Remember when Marisa Tomei won the best supporting actress Oscar for My Cousin Vinny, and people were really salty about it (and still are!)?

gently caress that noise. Marisa Tomei owned that role and deserved that Oscar :colbert:

Oscars rarely get awarded to comedies which is apparently a factor in the opprobrium. She was fine, and certainly no worse than any of the other nominees.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I love the conspiracy that Jack Palance read the wrong name off the card but since it was announced the Academy had to honor it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm still miffed George Miller didn't get Best Director in 2016.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Golden globes but they give you a statue for nicest boobs

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Chris Farley lifetime achievement award

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Worf posted:

Golden globes but they give you a statue for nicest boobs

This was basically the Oscars from 1988-2008

quote:

These nine actresses left nothing to the imagination in their Academy Award-nominated performances, and proceeded to take home the prize: In 2008, Kate Winslet won for The Reader, which was the first time in five years an actress who went nude won since two monster-related performances: Charlize Theron for Monster in 2003 and Halle Berry for Monster's Ball in 2001. Flashback two more years to a string of consecutive naked wins: Hilary Swank for Boys Don't Cry (1999), Gwyneth Paltrow for Shakespeare in Love (1998), and Helen Hunt for As Good as It Gets (1997). We get two more consecutive winners in 1994 and 1993: Jessica Lange in Blue Sky, preceded by Holly Hunter in The Piano, respectively. Finally, we reach Jodie Foster, who dramatically stripped down in The Accused in 1988.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Vampire Panties posted:

Quote sounds like Kevin from The Office

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Vampire Panties posted:

Did you just Google Oscar winning boobs?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

My dad loves movies and we went go see Crash when it came out and I was still a a teenager and hadn't heard the phrase "Oscar bait" yet and I still thought "Wow I think they made that movie just to win an Oscar"

Every time we visit he wants me to watch The Departed with him though, he loves that movie. And American Hustle.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Worf posted:

:hmmno: I googled "best actress after showing boobs", which is obviously far classier

but also it was a p. big unspoken thing about the Oscars, especially after back-to-back boobs with Halle Berry and Charlize Theron

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
"And the Oscar for 'Best SA Posting' goes to..." *moth flies out of envelope*

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Vampire Panties posted:

back-to-back boobs with Halle Berry and Charlize Theron

The title of my sex tape

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

*Cue the music!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Worf posted:

If you’re not allowed to google Great boobs without shame what’s even the loving point of democracy

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ChickenHeart posted:

*just a card that reads “many people do not like me or want me posting”*

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

mannerup posted:

may have to subscribe to this theory, 1995 had MTV award it to Pulp Fiction over Forrest Gump, 2000 had MTV award it to The Matrix over American Beauty and the Lord of the Rings trilogy swept 2002-2004 in the MTV awards over A Beautiful Mind and Chicago.

edit: lol I just looked up the 1992 MTV Movie & TV Awards and T2 won every single category

lmao that a beautiful mind won anything, poo poo was a straight snoozer. he doesnt even pork his blond roommate

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

[citation needed]

What in hell are you talking about?

the fine art movie "the town"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Everyone knows the Nickelodeon Kids Choice awards are the real status symbol among Hollywood elites, this year they awarded a lifetime achievement award to Optimus Prime

Bah Prime gave one good performance decades ago and have been coasting on it ever since. :colbert:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Bah Prime gave one good performance decades ago and have been coasting on it ever since. :colbert:

yeah but it was killer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7GeisRaias

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

GoutPatrol posted:

Ben Affleck making movies about Boston is hardly a reflection of Hollywood as a whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

Hell yeah, that movie ruled