Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've never questioned it. I never even thought to ask until now but why? We all know that an Oscar means more than a Golden Globe, but why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
oscar you can more easily shove up your rear end

or someone elses rear end

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Do you really want to get into this? Here and now? It's not about that.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Billy crystal was hosting the show back when anybody still cared about either, op

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Apparently the golden globes voters are throwing a tantrum because they’re not being invited to the ceremony lol. They’re talking about withholding their votes oh no lmao

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Non Compos Mentis posted:

invented by Fatty Arbuckle

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Wolverine has prestige in this, right?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Golden globes were founded by the Hollywood Foreign Press association. Its voters are primarily foreign cinema journalists. So no americans and nobody who actually works IN the film industry. The Oscars by contrast is run by the Academy which is made up of the entire film industry and specficially selects as voting members the people within the film industry who are seen as having the most impact and prestige,

Would you consider it more impressive if your professional achievements were recognized by the most accomplished people in your industry who you would recognize even if the wider public didn't or if they were recognized by some Germans you've never heard of with very strong opinions on your industry.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Golden globes were founded by the Hollywood Foreign Press association. Its voters are primarily foreign cinema journalists. So no americans and nobody who actually works IN the film industry. The Oscars by contrast is run by the Academy which is made up of the entire film industry and specficially selects as voting members the people within the film industry who are seen as having the most impact and prestige,

Would you consider it more impressive if your professional achievements were recognized by the most accomplished people in your industry who you would recognize even if the wider public didn't or if they were recognized by some Germans you've never heard of with very strong opinions on your industry.

Probably the Germans, Americans tend to skew pretty dumb

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Neither of them matter OP. At all.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've never questioned it. I never even thought to ask until now but why? We all know that an Oscar means more than a Golden Globe, but why?

American exceptionalism, next.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Non Compos Mentis posted:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Ever since Avatar was robbed of the Oscar for best picture in 2009 by The Hurt Locker I haven't given a poo poo.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
That was the same year that The Blind Side was also a contender for Best Film. Ugh.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Both are piss from my rear end

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
People's Choice is the only accolade that counts, comrade.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
When I was in film school, I acted like I cared a lot about the Oscars, mostly because that's what pretentious film dicks are supposed to do.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If the Oscars had more slapping that might be interesting

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Narzack posted:

When I was in film school, I acted like I cared a lot about the Oscars, mostly because that's what pretentious film dicks are supposed to do.

drat I woulda thought the super pretentious film dicks would act like they don't care about the oscars you feel me?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
quick reminder that the oscars chose Shakespeare In Love for Best Picture in 1999, over contender Saving Private Ryan. The Green Mile wasn't nominated, nor was Fight Club

does anyone remember anything about Shakespeare in Love other than Gwyneth Paltrow's boobs

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Vampire Panties posted:

quick reminder that the oscars chose Shakespeare In Love for Best Picture in 1999, over contender Saving Private Ryan. The Green Mile wasn't nominated, nor was Fight Club

does anyone remember anything about Shakespeare in Love other than Gwyneth Paltrow's boobs

Yes. They remember that it won best picture over Savingg Private Ryan, Green Mile and Fight Club.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Vampire Panties posted:

thats because tom hanks sucks rear end

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

In the 90s Conan O'Brien would make fun of the Golden Globes constantly and how they were worth less than Emmys so I pretty much based my entire suite of award opinions on 30 year old late night monologues

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

im gonna go watch shakeshpararp in love now

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

pencilhands posted:

drat I woulda thought the super pretentious film dicks would act like they don't care about the oscars you feel me?

We were all future filmmakers so the INDUSTRY was very important and the Oscars were meaningful. We had watch parties and poo poo. gently caress, caring about that incredibly vapid poo poo was exhausting.

Vampire Panties posted:

quick reminder that the oscars chose Shakespeare In Love for Best Picture in 1999, over contender Saving Private Ryan.

Haha, reflecting on this was what kinda snapped me out of it all. True story.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

why would that shakespeare movie win over saving private ryan? what was the justification for it

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Harvey Weinstein

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

now i get why ppl hate him

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Vampire Panties posted:

I remember seeing it in the theater because I was told it was a comedy and being bored out of my loving skull.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Worf posted:

Both are piss from my rear end

Yup.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ring Ring, call up to me goff, I have a proposition for you.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Oscar is older (1929 vs 1944)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What about the Cable Ace Awards OP???

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Everyone knows the Nickelodeon Kids Choice awards are the real status symbol among Hollywood elites, this year they awarded a lifetime achievement award to Optimus Prime

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This is true. Also, the GG has a very small number of voters, and some of those voters are apparently very suggestible in the right circumstances.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i looked up to see if golden globes gave saving private ryan best picture and they did but they also didnt run shakespeareeere in love in the same category, which it also won for best picture in its category

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Worf posted:

i looked up to see if golden globes gave saving private ryan best picture and they did but they also didnt run shakespeareeere in love in the same category, which it also won for best picture in its category

Score one for the Golden Globes, Shakespeare in Love sucks.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Also, the Golden Globes is owned and run by Dick Clark Productions, it's like asking why the Billboard Music Awards is less prestigious than the Grammys.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Three Olives posted:

Also, the Golden Globes is owned and run by Dick Clark Productions, it's like asking why the Billboard Music Awards is less prestigious than the Grammys.

an analogy only you could make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

therattle posted:

This is true. Also, the GG has a very small number of voters, and some of those voters are apparently very suggestible in the right circumstances.

Are you implying that Pia Zadora did not deserve her 1981 Best New Star Golden Globe?