Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Dinette

Popcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

The Adventures of Marmaduke (February 22-23, 1940)

It's a bit surprising to see Field Marshal Mannerheim randomly pop up in what I assume is not a Finnish comic strip. Also his reputation in 1940 was definitely quite positive considering his role in the Winter War, except among the Red part of the population who hated him ever since the Civil War, so the idea that he needed a bodyguard to protect him from "the love of the Finnish masses" is even more surprising.

E:

FINGERPORI

One of the two huge store chains in Finland is essentially a co-op, where you can become a "customer-owner" by paying a one time fee, and get some kind of special benefits and bonuses when you shop in stores and establishments belonging to that chain.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 27, 2024

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

It's a good thing wildfires are so respectful of property lines.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's a bit surprising to see Field Marshal Mannerheim randomly pop up in what I assume is not a Finnish comic strip. Also his reputation in 1940 was definitely quite positive considering his role in the Winter War, except among the Red part of the population who hated him ever since the Civil War, so the idea that he needed a bodyguard to protect him from "the love of the Finnish masses" is even more surprising.

It's a communist comic strip HTH.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hippocrass posted:

It's a communist comic strip HTH.

Oh well that explains it then.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Saoshyant posted:

Steelfingers is a really cool villain.

Look at the guts in this dude to have set up all those events behind the story, causing all the things the natives are going to war for, and then going to visit these same natives while unarmed and ready to manipulate them further.

The writing in Blueberry continues to be impressive, every character always manages to be interesting and with a depth you don't expect from a "western". I'm kinda sad I never looked into it years ago when it still had some presence in the European comic book shelves around here.

I'm pretty sure I brought this up when I last posted this - but I like Steelfingers, too; in fact he is one of my favourite villains in the whole series (seconded only by another character, who we haven't met, who I like for the same reason) because he basically an 'evil' Blueberry.

One thing that makes Blueberry unique as a Western adventure protagonist is that, sure, he knows his way around a gun and is brave and all that, but above all that he is sly and cunning to a degree one doesn't usually see in a protagonist, only in antagonists. This means that in a lot of conflicts, it typically involves the opposing sides out-witting each other to a level that one doesn't expect in these types of stories (the current series I'm translating puts this into perspective - I mean, it is fun, but it ain't the same level as Blueberry.

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 25, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Strontium posted:

Dark Side Of The Horse

Fun fact: In Norway, because of watching american movies and shows, a lot of people started to dial 911 instead of the national emergency numbers. In response to this 911 actually became a viable emergency telephone number in Norway. If you dial 911 in Norway you get connected to the police's emergency center.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Have to admit I don’t get this one. Thirty years ago… kids would chuck vegetables at men who were on their way to give flowers to people?
A lot of people in those old comics are just utter assholes.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Doomykins posted:

Isn't their initial drifting apart caused by a literal fae pact? They trade the concept of their friendship to avert disaster as I recall.

tackleford spoilers

that's the fantastical excuse Lottie gives to Shelley Winters... it's set after THE CASE OF THE SEVERED ALLIANCE, where the reader has had two arcs of the friendship going up in flames (that Winters is not privy to). Little Claire brokered a shake-and-make-up but it's thin at best, and the fae-pact bit suggests Lottie sensing that the friendship isn't coming back after all whilst she spins a yarn for Winters

WEN-TACK suggests that they all form a band with Blossom (yeah) but this element got decanonized

HOLIDAY SURPRISE 2022 has Allison's latest take:

https://badmachinery.com/comic/munch/

quote:

When I wrote this, I had forgotten that Lottie and the rest of the mystery friends had actually been under alien mind control – in fact, the only one who wasn’t was Shauna. I wrote it as a goof on Lottie’s love of the X-Files. But if you’re reading this, I didn’t manage to write a better final line.

https://badmachinery.com/comic/youre-toying-with-me/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait whys that being hidden

is John Allison not appropriate reading anymore?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
for the benefit of those following the gocomics run, mainly

e: or, because what I quoted was spoilered also. Since my earlier post wasn't :shrug:

ronya fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 27, 2024

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Cranky Shafterbean

"As a lifelong fan of your wonderful, groundbreaking comic, I knew you'd be intelligent, sensitive, and witty. But I... I didn't expect you to be so handsome......"

Kennel posted:

Nancy

heh

This is good! It's like a standard nu-Nancy turnabout, except there's movement and action and comic timing, instead of being just a bunch of words. It's like... a joke???

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/26/04

Brenda Starr 2/5-7/53

Smokey Stover 3/5/61

Everyday Movies 6/23/37

"You came out a lot better on your wedding gifts than we did. We got 20 candlesticks and not one cocktail set."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/5-7/43

Closer Than We Think! 3/5/61

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Seeing the Major win for once has made his inevitable loss all the funnier. :haw: No doubt he blew his full windfall already.

ronya posted:

tackleford spoilers

Ah, thanks for the explanation. :tipshat:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This strip has very slowly but steadily become one of my favourites in the thread.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 3/5/61

Add in just one missing element and this could be an Art Frahm painting.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

I love a good "We are not so different, you and I" villain speech. :allears:

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/4/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/7/1994)

Ziggy

(12/3/1971)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 16, 1962)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fiona Joins The Bene Gesserit

Vow of Joke Silence

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 16, 1962)

I really like that Thorg is apparently just a constant of the fens.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Those last two panels always break me.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (April 30, 1977)

Cranky Shafterbean

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (June 4-6, 1936; spoiler because the new storyline looks like it's leaning hard into a Speedy Gonzales dialect.)

Thimble Theater (November 30, 1940)

Out Our Way (July 24-26, 1944; another spoiler for Worry Wart being (ahem) the butt of the joke)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Tom Batiuk: well, if no one else is going to hand me the accolades I deserve, I guess it's up to me!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

Tom Batiuk: well, if no one else is going to hand me the accolades I deserve, I guess it's up to me!

TomBat and Wilbur crossover when?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

TomBat and Wilbur crossover when?

I think that just results in the Kliban cartoon.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

If that's how you're gripping the lid, I see why you're having a problem.

(Use a spoon to pry under the lip of the jar until it breaks the seal. The round end of one of those old fashioned can openers works, too.)

Luann

Oh ho ho! But it is YOU who do not get it! For Luann is perfect as she is! So vibrant! So full of youth and potential! You fools! You stupid, stupid, pretty and (formerly) popular girls!!

(No, they are correct. Luann is a dud. Any time spent with her is a waste.)

Gil Thorp
I'm reposting yesterday's as well because Barajas and newspaper comic pacing. You know. Anyway he cut Gil off mid-sentence yesterday and today's makes more sense when you read these things together.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(October 29, 1910)

The Oregon Boot. Probably referencing a song about being in Oregon prison.

Baron Bean(April 29, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(March 29, 1913)

Mrs Delicia Hicks,

Dear Nice lady.

I seen your advertisement which stood by the paper which I should advise immedeately you should place in my hands the matter at once for quickest results without failing. I have a picture of Lillian Russell which we can use.

Max Golstein
(Schaschen)

Gasoline Alley(December 20, 1919)

Us Boys(April 27, 1912)

The Gumps(May 26, 1917)

Bringing up Father(January 16, 1913)

Abie the Agent(February 14, 1914)

"Cap" Stubbs(March 9, 1918)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Julet Esqu posted:

Gil Thorp
I'm reposting yesterday's as well because Barajas and newspaper comic pacing. You know. Anyway he cut Gil off mid-sentence yesterday and today's makes more sense when you read these things together.

Cute little shout-out to when Mary Jane is first revealed in Spider-Man.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Green Intern posted:

I really like that Thorg is apparently just a constant of the fens.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a Thorg.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

did that kid get a steam deck what the hell

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like it could be. Bit of a price tag difference between that and a Dick Tracy collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > BSS: Bisexual Super Son > Comic Strips 2024: Beth. Beth, the kids.