Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Doomykins posted:

I think it's fair to guess which side of the last week of propaganda working to portray student protestors as malevolent hotheads Leak comes down on. My interpretation is that portraying the protestors as extra snarky rubes who don't even know that college-age adults have civil debates is pretty empty-headed.
The impression I get of Son of Leak is he knows exactly what he was hired to deliver to The Australian and as such I find it hard to gauge where he stands in the line between genuine opinion and mercenary pen for hire. This is in contrast to Spooner, who is clearly a True Believer which shines out in his insane scribbles about wind turbines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It is hard for me to believe that someone can be as casually and naturally racist and hateful as Son of Leak for the mere reason that the pay is good; I feel that you can't get that pure, effortless awful he conveys without already being in that mindset. But maybe that's my last small glob of faith in humanity despite it all coming through.

Edit: like, I feel that Fishman's Mallard Fillmore feels stilted and a little artificial; the jokes are formulaic in repeated structures and are as devoid of feeling and energy as any Hagar The Horrible strip. There is nothing surprising in a Mallard Fillmore strip these days; it's the standard GOP talking point rendered to components and left to gel in the molds that Fishman received from Tinsley. McCoy and Lester and Son of Leak still shock me with their interpretations, their invective, their new ideas and interpretations, which make me feel like it isn't just a job to them - they're steeped in that media, they agree with what they're being told, and they want to go out and build upon it because it's righteous.

Edit2: An example of what I mean: there is not a single Son of Leak cartoon where he depicts Anthony Albanese talking where he does not also have spittle flying from Albanese's mouth. I don't know Australian politics very well, but as far as I can tell, this is not based in any objective reality at all. Leak has just decided that it would make Albanese look like more of a blithering moron if Albanese couldn't speak without spittle going everywhere. This isn't something that someone going for a paycheck does; this is the affect of someone who really, truly believes that Albanese is a terrible moron who shouldn't be allowed in polite society, let alone politics. This is Branco drawing flies and stink lines on Biden in case all of the other liturgical prayer beads of Biden Is Bad don't cover it. When was the last time that the Mallard Fillmore strip showed anyone looking actually deranged and angry?

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 29, 2024

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Doomykins posted:

I think it's fair to guess which side of the last week of propaganda working to portray student protestors as malevolent hotheads Leak comes down on. My interpretation is that portraying the protestors as extra snarky rubes who don't even know that college-age adults have civil debates is pretty empty-headed.

Yeah I am aware of who Leak is. That doesn't mean that portraying the protests as a mob of wokes descending on a couple of innocent Jews is correct any more than it's correct to ignore that there were a lot of Jews protesting. In conclusion, college campuses are a land of contrasts. /s

As someone brought up Jewish I do have a huge problem with the actually antisemitic (not anti-Zionist) chants. I also hate the police brutality that has been deployed against the protesters, among other things university administrators have done.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

It is hard for me to believe that someone can be as casually and naturally racist and hateful as Son of Leak for the mere reason that the pay is good; I feel that you can't get that pure, effortless awful he conveys without already being in that mindset. But maybe that's my last small glob of faith in humanity despite it all coming through.
I don't know how much of this is natural but I'd describe the vibe I get off Leak as calculating which is more disturbing. The key difference the consistency in his cartoons in going right up to the line and parking its toes over it. He doesn't do the cartoons like his father or Mark Knight which are so wildly bigoted they make international headlines, but he also doesn't do the occasional ones with a surprisingly good opinion.

I also don't think "collecting a paycheck" really captures what he's got at The Australian as Son of Leak, he's got tenure.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Amjad Rasmi

Clay Bennett

Dave Whamond

Dick Wright

Many in media and law enforcement careers intend to love Trump and keep him and call him George. A sadly accurate cartoon.

Drew Sheneman

Jeff Danziger

John Darkow

Monte Wolverton

Randall Enos

Rivers

I mean, he did do all that drone poo poo.

Of course, this is just the usual conservative "but it might affect your team too!" thing where they don't understand that we are actually fine with that. (To be fair, I don't know if Obama did anything criminal. Unethical, yes, but criminal under US law? I am not sure.)

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Tom Stiglich

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

Universities are behaving like dinosaurs and the time of the mammals (protestors) has come! A confusing take kirschen

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

I know Soros is the big bad boogeyman that conservatives have convinced themselves is the secret puppet master behind everything from climate change to election rigging to why they have erectile disfunction.
But isn't Soros Jewish? Why would he support funding for a pro-Hamas protest? I know not every Jewish person supports Israel, but still...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Seeing these one after another is just incredible.
"No one is above the law. But also it's lawfare."

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Just fuckin' :lol: that Branco put out these two back to back. Sometimes it's hard to believe he remembers how to breath.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Meeting in the middle between right wing extremeists (Carmen) and noramish center--US-lefties (Winslow) often results in plummiting down a chasm from which there's no escape. A good comic.

Also, if it weren't Stantis and Allie, I'd think it was some brilliant avant-garde thing to have his right wing talking point on the left and vice versa.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jeff Danziger

Kellies Nomination: Worst Label, for the "Vietnam Vets" label on the wheelchair in the comic literally titled "Vietnam Vets Watch Protests At American Universities".

EDIT: Also, the "Ooops-I-Started-Writing-And-Ran-Out-Of-Space" way it squishes over the wheelchair.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

Someone get Ramirez over here to kick Varvel's rear end.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

those little cartoon rats are adorable. most pleasing thing Kirschen has drawn in possibly his entire cartoon career. we should give those critters whatever they want

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

JamesBont posted:

I know Soros is the big bad boogeyman that conservatives have convinced themselves is the secret puppet master behind everything from climate change to election rigging to why they have erectile disfunction.
But isn't Soros Jewish? Why would he support funding for a pro-Hamas protest? I know not every Jewish person supports Israel, but still...

Anything that destabilizes and weakens the US and the western world. Makes it smoother to roll out the NWO, and (((everyone))) in the ruling class gets to drink all the baby blood they want.

This is what Alex Jones, MTG and your racist uncle actually believes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

JamesBont posted:

There's a separate conspiracy theory around claiming that Soros was an active officer of the SS in his youth, which would've been quite a feat for a 14-year-old hungarian Jew. They're just throwing whatever random poo poo at him no matter whether it makes sense.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Soros is not an Israel supporter and the Open Society Foundation specifically calls out Israel’s racist and authoritarian policies.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Plenty of Zionist right-wingers are also anti-semitic. They just happen to support the state of Israel for Islamophobic or nationalist or colonial or weirdo fundamentalist Christian reasons.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

JamesBont posted:

Soros is the bad kind of Jew, the kind that doesn't agree with conservatives all the time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yay! It's been forever since Stiggy did a pointlessly vicious cartoon about this Larry Krasner dude.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

Universities are behaving like dinosaurs and the time of the mammals (protestors) has come! A confusing take kirschen

Famous US university of <checks notes> Berkely.

Anyone taking bets on "Legit didn't know the name" versys "Ran out of space"?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Interesting how the Constitution and Bible both have now become things they use to justify the exact opposite of what the source material actually tells them to do.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on the troubles of Rishi Sunak and Humza Yousaf – The Tory and SNP leaders are in severely weakened condition as they head towards local elections"

Telegraph:

Britain to deploy homegrown hypersonic missile by 2030

Times:

Summer election rumours swirl as Sunak faces poll reckoning

Evening Standard:

Tory rebels plot against Rishi Sunak ahead of challenging local elections

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel[/b]

I haven't posted in one of these threads in half a decade but it is nice to know these motherfuckers are still going on about debt like it isn't all made up.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
Do we ever see any "DEBT" cartoons when a conservative is in office?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

JamesBont posted:

The true believers will put some up sometimes, but its notably far less common.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Broelman:

PM brushes off accusation he lied about speaking arrangements at violence against women rally (Guardian). "Anthony Albanese told Channel Nine he was happy whether or not he spoke and blamed the situation on an ‘emotional’ day and issue".

Lethbridge:

Wilcox:

Spooner:

First Dog on the Moon: A cup of tea and a biscuit for the end of the world

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon: A cup of tea and a biscuit for the end of the world

I need a version of the growing ironicat that is instead a wanking hand. Cripes.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JamesBont posted:

Yes, though they'll either still be about democrats or it'll be a liberal cartoonist trying to highlight rightwing hypocrisy on a subject.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

The Islamic Shock posted:

Interesting how the Constitution and Bible both have now become things they use to justify the exact opposite of what the source material actually tells them to do.

"now"?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Adam Zyglis

Amjad Rasmi

Jack Ohman

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

Mike Smith

Rivers

Conservative religious people are cheering Trump facing his crimes, a mostly inaccurate cartoon.

Walt Handelsman

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Very loving subtle putting a few other examples in there to pad out directly saying Trump is Jesus being crucified

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

...william wallace? That's in your top 5 picks for most significant cruelty inflicted by mankind? have you considered getting history knowledge from somewhere outside of hollywood movies

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Angepain posted:

...william wallace? That's in your top 5 picks for most significant cruelty inflicted by mankind? have you considered getting history knowledge from somewhere outside of hollywood movies

I mean, he did have the poo poo tortured out of him, Mel didn’t make that up. He actually chickened out of a castration scene, and there were live, burning entrails. It was super hosed up.

Still a weird pull though, I agree with you there. Something like that was a pretty common fate for defeated rebels, kings, generals, etc. I think it’s equally salient to most people as, say, Vercingetorix getting ritualistically strangled to death at Julius Caesar’s 4th triumph, i.e. not at all except for nerds.

Personally I just can’t stand the burning witches at Salem thing. They were hanged, you fuckers. They made a movie about that too!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
huh. the same people really cheer on the death penalty throughout history you say?

i wonder which side of that debate supports trump.

*walks away whistling*

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Personally I just can’t stand the burning witches at Salem thing. They were hanged, you fuckers. They made a movie about that too!

Yeah, and one (Giles Corey) was crushed under wooden planks with rocks piled on them for refusing to plead, because by doing that he could preserve his inheritance for his heirs. His last words were "more weight". Kind of an rear end in a top hat, but he went out well. (I literally live in Salem and this one bugs me too.)

Accused witches were burned, but not by anyone wearing a pilgrim outfit; that was a European practice.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 30, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
2023 kellies update: categorization is done, even after some streamlining we have 40 freaking categories. Some of you basically created an entire category of nominees on your own. A couple of you had, just, way too many selections- more than a hundred each. the_steve and Vincent van Goatse, please leave some toons for the rest of us.

Kellies nomination: Worst Label. The shirt, last panel.

Also what is that loving font

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Chump Farts posted:

I haven't posted in one of these threads in half a decade but it is nice to know these motherfuckers are still going on about debt like it isn't all made up.
It's incisive commentary