Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I briefly worked a chat support job and I quit my job one day after I got stuck on a chat for two hours with this person who wasn't understanding image ratios and they kept asking why their image was "long" and I was trying to explain the difference in aspect ratios (square vs rectangle) for two hours while they got really mad and typed at me in all caps about how squares and rectangles are the same thing. I don't think I would have survived that experience if it was over the phone

All they had to do was click the button to use a 1:1 aspect ratio (the logo was a square) but they typed angrily in all caps for 2 hours instead of just click it

"That's what they said at the self checkout! You mean you don't have Apple Pay AnYwHeRe in the store?"

"What do you mean you don't recycle these!" (looks at me like I'm Hitler, refuses to leave)

Wants to return something stupid like a used frying pan. Card lookup isn't working. Spends the entire transaction complaining about how there "was some fraud" and they "had to get a new card." I give them store credit and they ask if I can ring them up.

Wants to tell me their full CC #, CVV, expiration date and billing zip (by showing me pictures of their card including their name) to buy dish soap and some snacks. Is determined to do so, knows I can do it, and will not take no for an answer.

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I worked text message support for an airline for a bit and giving someone who is EXTREMELY UPSET the ability to angry text an airline employee with no cooldown period like while the thing was happening just creates bigger problems

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I worked text message support for an airline for a bit and giving someone who is EXTREMELY UPSET the ability to angry text an airline employee with no cooldown period like while the thing was happening just creates bigger problems

You think it would have been better making this person wait 10 minutes in a phone queue lol??

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

You think it would have been better making this person wait 10 minutes in a phone queue lol??

It is much, much easier to de-escalate someone with your voice than it is via text message, yes. I’d rather talk to someone over the phone that waited on hold over someone who can just rage text me, it’s WAY easier to make a connection with someone who is upset that way

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

the text support is better because it creates a paper trail so you can prove to the next support person what the previous one told you. it won’t help of course but you can feel a really great sense of justified outrage that phone calls simply can’t replicate.

I had a pretty satisfying one once:

Me: Hey could I get a refund for my thing.
Agent1: Unfortunately I cannot give you a refund right now because the manager is on vacation.
Me: When do you think they'll be back?
(disconnected)
Me: Hey got disconnected, do you know when I could talk to someone about refunding my thing?
Agent2: I just talked to the manager and he says we aren't giving you a refund.
Me: Whoa that was a short vacation!
Agent2: Conversations you had with other representatives previously are not relevant.

had to do a chargeback lol.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Yo momma

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Chat support does have its benefits, but the person you are talking to isn't taking one chat at a time.

I have worked phone and chat customer service from home for the last four years and have done phone customer service for a bunch of places in the last 20ish years. Two chats at once isn't too bad, but during peak season we have to do 3 at a time.

I have to put on my headphones and just listen to my Energy or Workout playlist and go into "the chat hole" for sometimes a whole 8 hour shift. I have a whole slew of templates I copy n paste for the stuff I say a lot but I also free form type a bunch as well.

It does take a certain skill to be empathetic, uphold my metrics/policy and still also come off as a human. It's not for everyone but I'm pretty good at it.

If you get a survey about your customer service experience remember it's about the specific interaction with that agent, not the company as a whole.

Most places provide you a place to give written feedback as part of the survey, that's the place where you should say what went wrong. Don't ruin some working guys bonus because they won't or can't change company policy for you.

I always give out top marks any time I'm presented with a survey even if my experience was bad. When you do this you force companies to still pay out bonuses to agents for hitting and exceeding their metrics but also you get to tell them what a lovely job they did.

Edit: even if the agent you worked with was terrible still give out the best scores. It costs you nothing and may help someone who is struggling keep their job.

To clarify, in most surveys the only score that counts is the top one, anything that isn't the best response is counted as a detractor.

A 9 means the same thing as a 1

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 4, 2024

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
That drove me nuts when I was working for a corporation that had satisfaction surveys. I think they called it "not fully satisfied" and there would be a comment left like "everyone was great thank you so much" but because they chose 4/5 stars we would get dinged for it anyway. It's real dumb.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I nutted wrong and had to call up bustomer support

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, depending on the place anything lower than 9/10 or 10/10 counts as a bad score. I habitually give top marks because of this bullshit.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i get them mixed up with a text based CYOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I briefly worked a chat support job and I quit my job one day after I got stuck on a chat for two hours with this person who wasn't understanding image ratios and they kept asking why their image was "long" and I was trying to explain the difference in aspect ratios (square vs rectangle) for two hours while they got really mad and typed at me in all caps about how squares and rectangles are the same thing. I don't think I would have survived that experience if it was over the phone

All they had to do was click the button to use a 1:1 aspect ratio (the logo was a square) but they typed angrily in all caps for 2 hours instead of just click it

This is really funny