Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Well that makes a lot of sense but isn't quite as funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

TomatoPawah posted:

His demons are still here. A true Summoner till the end. :kiddo:

Now that I think about it, is it possible to obtain any of Judah's demons before this? If so, would his version of the demon simply not be added to your COMP?

TomatoPawah posted:

I love this dialogue.

It's great. It probably wasn't a big deal when the game first got released in the Saturn but having it in a relatively recent Nintendo console is :discourse:

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Hyahahaha! Failure as a human! Failure as a human!

Petiso posted:

Now that I think about it, is it possible to obtain any of Judah's demons before this? If so, would his version of the demon simply not be added to your COMP?

That's...a really good question. I should have a save state at the start of the dungeon, let me check. Unlike Majin Tensei or Devil Survivor, it's not possible to have 2 of the same demon.

Okay, luckily the game doesn't do anything stupid like replacing your current demon with the one Judah had.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 10: VR Art Museum, Part 1

So...OBS corrupted my footage and I had to record the entire update again. :hotpickle: I'm mentioning this because I won't be starting inside Paradigm X.

She just needs to study or something, am I right?

Just a heads up, the next dungeon has huge groups of enemies and the encounter rate is slightly higher. Try to fuse something with an AoE attack. In my case, I'll be using Spin Slash...:unsmigghh:

"Nemechi"

And we reached the final Nemechi evolution, on the female path at least.

This unlocks Yama, more specifically, his PS1 redesign.

I also buy two new guns, allowing me to shoot enemies in the back line, and ammo with a chance to make enemies fall sleep.

And finally, our new armor. Notice how both the MC and Nemissa have armor to null Force.

"Paradigm X"

Paradigm X is a major focus of the Amami City project. It's not just a game. Until Paradigm X is complete, Amami City isn't a fully-functioning test case.

You hear these kinds of rumors everywhere, I'm not surprised that even Amami City has them, too.

It's a little girl's voice, saying "Shingo, Shingo..." Oh, er... That's my name, Shingo.

Wait... Is this Six?

Oh, there it is again. Someone's calling me... Do you hear it?

Huh, odd. Anyway, let's check the Pet Shop.

"Kingdom House"

Wait, how did you...?

This little one tells me if you do or not. Isn't he a clever little thing? As for you two, I'll show my pet collection.

Let's get started! The Petshop Kingdom is open!

If you like Demon Fusion, then you'll love this place.

At the Pet Shop you can take requests, such as "Bring me a Lv. 5 Loyalty Demon" or "Bring a demon with X Skill."

No good fusion results come from Apsaras so...

Notice how the demon is Lv. 27, rewards ignore your current level.

It turns out my team is full of idiots, including myself.

Hm...not yet.

I could use Silky but come on... That's Judah's Silky! She deserves to be properly fused. The rest of those demons can be found in the next dungeon.

gently caress you and your Meat Bullet.

Didn't we just got a Seere?

:peanut:

Well, that was fun.

:atlus:

"VR Art Museum"

It looks like she can't hear me. Is she enchanted by the art?

Well, this is new...

:stare:

A juggler is someone who keeps objects in a state of constant motion by tossing and catching them in the air. The painting really captures his cheerful, yet mischievous aura.

Ah, there it is.

Aha! I knew it. We can enter this painting!

"Aqua Dolphin"

Tomato, look! There's someone over there playing with a dolphin... Maybe it's Tomoko! Let's go check!

I feel like we've been walking in circles. Why don't we get out of here and rethink our strategy?

No way to make progress yet... What else can we d-- Who the gently caress is this guy?

Who-hoa, brother! Your friend's got a sharp tongue there! Let's put the past behind us, though. Lemme see if I can guess the reason for that sad face... Wait, wait, don't tell me. I'll guess it.

Hmmmm... My guess is... Something happened to your little sister, right? Is that it? Do I get the prize?

There's something up with this guy. Be careful, Tomato.

Obviously, you wanna save her, right? I mean, an unconscious sister just won't do, after all.

Why do you know about his sister!? What did you do to her, and why do we have to play a stupid game of chess with you!?

Shut up! Nobody's talking to you, so just cram it! I'm talking to the brother. You're going to play, aren't you?

I live inside the chess painting. There's a little room in the back with a chessboard that I like to call the Boardroom. Place three cheese pieces on the board to make a checkmate. If you can do that, you win.

But there's a twist for you beginners! To get the chess pieces... You're just dying to know, aren't you?

Let me guess, you have the last one.

I have one of them. The other two are hidden in the other paintings in this art museum. You need all three to play. Good luck, brother. See you... Hyahahahahaha!

...He disappeared! He said he lived inside the chess painting, but who or what is he? I don't know if we can trust him. But I guess we have no choice but to look for the chess pieces...

You fucker...

"Chess by Window"

I love the atmosphere of this place, it feels like walking inside a dream.

So this is it, huh! The chess painting world where that psycho Juggler lives!

It's kind of surreal... Why the combination of chess pieces and blue sky? This painting has no meaning to Nemissa... It doesn't move me at all.

I think it's pretty. :colbert:

"Normal Battle"

While some enemies are pretty weak...

Others can deal heavy damage. This dungeon is supposed to be explored at the end but... I just couldn't resist.

Recarm allows Nemissa to revive a dead party member, saving a lot of money in the long run.

"Battle Conversation"

Hee-ho!

I'm not supposed to talk to strangers.

Ne-hee-vermind...

I was kidding. I wanted to act like a human kid for once. I like you. I think I'll give you a Gaburipon Chocolate seed.

Looks tasty, ho!

Why don't you get your own, then?

:smith:

I'm sure you've learned a lot today from talking to a demon like me!

You have a point, ho.

...Really? Wow, today's y lucky day!

Aight, the LP is over, I got my own Jack Frost.

Chakra Pots restore you MP fully, nice.

*Sigh*

CRAP!

Phew... Her new armor is being really useful.

See those symbols on the floor? What you have to do is--

drat it! Random encounter-- Oh, I can recruit Pyro Jack too.

Kamen Nobuta 9

I only knew about the first eight. Is Kamen Nobuta 9 a new one!? Wow! I'm sure you've learned a lot today from talking with a demon like me!

Oh it's just as the Jack Frost one, that was easy.

You little...

Nemissa, if you please.

You're on my list.:argh:

Wh-What are you talking about!? What list!? Do I want to be on your list? Oh, oh yeah! I wanted to be your friend!

:smug:

As I was saying, all you have to do is follow the path with the King symbol on the floor.

Simple enough.

Dimute Stones remove the Silence status effect, these will be useful...later.

Nemissa and the MC are not enough to take so much damage, let's summon some help.

That's better... Now that we're alone, let's try and recruit this Archangel.

That's right, demons can reject you if you have a party member with an opposite alignment. You don't need to be Ex. Law/Chaos, they can have the exact same reaction with just a Law/Chaos demon. The only exception are Neutral demons.

drat it! What's with the enemy ambushes?

:blastu:

And...we're back on the entrance, great.

Nemissa algo got this sweet weapon thanks to the Finders Keepers app.

No thanks, Hugh Mann...

:argh:

Ah, there he is.

If you enter the Terminal inside the Museum Lobby, you'll notice how it changed to "Soul Space" Am I playing YIIK?

What's with this place...? That voice is just repeating itself.

No clue why this room changed but...sure.

Time to claim our rewards...

The Frost Panel changes your party to Jack Frost.

And the Lantern Panel changes your party to Pyro Jack. I won't be using any of these.

The Oni Mark is actually one of my favourite apps, I'll show you why in a minute.

Since I have another demon with Rakukaja, I can use this Bai Suzhen to complete the Dumb demon request I saw earlier.

That's all the preparation I needed, let's explore this place!

Starting with Ghost Waterfall.

"Ghost Waterfall"

Oh! I think I got it! This must be behind the waterfall in the painting.

Good thing I gave INT some points, look at how smart she is!

Right? Everyone thinks so, too, right? It has to be!

I'll be showing the map a bit more often here, this dungeon is...quite long.

Enemy formations are a lot more scary too, Gu Huo Niao is a support demon but Wing Flap hurts a lot... If you saw the fight against Speed Demon, you know what I'm talking about. Take care of the 2 Dwarfs in the front line ASAP, they'll cast an ATK debuff non-stop. They also have Hama, and talking about Hama... I made a tiny mistake a few updates ago. I said that Hama can kill your party members and that humans weren't immune to Light by default here. I was wrong...both Nemissa and the MC are immune to light, unless they have armor to make them weak to it.

Stop debuffing me, you oval office! :argh:

Man, that was rough... At least Finders Keepers makes random encounters worth it, thanks for the Bead.

This door says there's a Treasure Room!

Uh-huh...?

There must be a chess piece ahead! Awesome! I didn't think we'd find it so easily!!

The chess piece has to be behind it! That's easy as pie!

Girl, you're awfully excited.

...Hm? There's something written on this door, too. Let's see here...

Well, I'm not a he, so certainly this doesn't apply to me. I'll just... Ngh... Tomato...! It's not opening!

You still have 3 Strength, Nemissa...

Urrrrrrgh! Why don't these technicalities ever work? So, we're gonna need an Entrance Scroll to open the door...

Tch... It was too good to be true!

The enemies come in big groups here, time to use my secret weapon. :unsmigghh:

My turn!

How do you like that? :cawg:

Oh... Right, Headless Rider is weak to Hama.:frogdunce:

quote:

Ah, finally. This is what I wanted to show. The Oni Mark will change the icons on status effects, this one is supposed to be Freeze. I like that app a lot, so I'll be using it from now on.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Even if the enemies are pushovers, the fights get a lot harder if there are six of them. Also Roma Calor is pretty good! I've been saying that from the start, remember? :mmmsmug:

Try me now.

Nuh-uh!

What's your name, old man?

Huh? My name? I'm Xi. Why do you ask? You have a problem with me or something? Huh?

Remember this place, it's important.

Charm is one of the worst ailments in the game. Charmed party members will hit their own allies and the game is very smart when it comes to picking the targets.

:doh:

Thank you, Headless Rider!

So, who are you? What are you doing here? And what is it you want with me?

Say something already! Geez! Don't make me guess! I don't have patience for this stuff! Seriously, just tell me already!

Arrgh! Fine, then! Go home! Leave! You don't have to come back again! Scram!

I guess the MC remembered he's supposed to be a silent protagonist.

Hello there.

Hello, my name is Ruan. Just your everyday stubborn old man. There's nothing here, but make yourself at home.

Do you remember Puts? He was one of Urabe's demons.

You've got a favourite food, right? Something you could eat day after day and never get tired of?

But the thing is, there's a limit to everything, even the best stuff. It don't matter how much you like it-- everyone has their limits. But I had this friend, right? A total idiot. And one day he just ate and ate and ate until his gut frigging busted. Man, I kinda feel sorry for him. Alls I'm saying is, be careful or you might end up dead-- and worse, your corpse will look stupid. Seeya!

Cryptic, but useful advice...

Are you having trouble fighting against multiple enemies? Use the Spirit Kodachi. This sword will turn your basic attacks into a sweep to the enemy front row, from right to left.

Mommy!

...That's so pathetic.

Okay...

Whoa... That was scary. I dreamed that I was falling from the sky. Then I hit the ground, and you showed up. This is a rarity. The last time someone came was... A long time ago.

What's your name?

I'm Shan. Nice to meet you. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn... So sleepy...

Maybe those four old men know something about the Entry Scroll. Let's ask 'em.

At this point your level should be higher than most, if not all, demons in here. If you still have Oshira-Sama from Judah or Nekomata from the Pet Shop minigame, you can use the skill Estoma. Estoma prevents enemy encounters as long as your level is higher than the enemy. If you want to do this puzzle without help, you should use it to save time.

Ahhhhhhhh!? What!? Who are you!?

I just talked with you...

Huh? Oh yeah. The Entry Scroll.

If Xi and I don't have it, you should ask some of the others.

You should go and talk to Shan. However... His memory's been getting a bit fuzzy lately... Ha... I wish I didn't have to age.

I don't have it! Yeah! You need Ruan! Go pester him!

You're done here!

I don't know who has the Entry Scroll. I mean, all of them said they didn't have it. Wait... Then one of them... IS LYING!?

Which sleazebag is trying to jerk Nemissa around!? Tomato! We need to find the decrepit, deceitful dirtbag! We're gonna make him tell us where that scroll is!

This is the location of each old men. From left to right, we have: Ruan, Shan, Xi and Liu.

Ruan
Shan
Xi
Liu

According to Ruan, Shan has the Entry Scroll. However, Shan says that neither Xi nor himself have it. Xi confirms this, he said neither Liu nor himself have the scroll. And finally, Liu accuses Ruan of having the Entry Scroll. The only one who doesn't have anyone backing him up is...

..... Well... I'm surprised you figured it out! You got me!

Got you, old man!

I'm impressed!! It seems your grey matter's still firing. As you've probably guessed, sitting around inside this painting is REALLY boring! Having guests like you makes me happy! I couldn't help having some fun at your expense! After all, it'd keep you around here a bit longer. Please forgive this old man for his little prank... Here's the Entry Scroll you were looking for.

This puzzle can be quite annoying when adding random encounters to the mix.

One down, two more to go.

I complete this request using the Bai Suzhen I resummoned. The reward is information about the UMA race. I should be able to fuse one already, I'll give it a try in the next update.

All the info you get as a reward can be seen here.

After feeding more D-Souls to Nemechi, we get 3 new demons. These three are part of the Leg (Female) form. Actually, let's talk about Loki for a second...

Loki is the only demon in the game who starts with a Loyalty of 1. To make matters worse, he's a Sly demon so...prepare some gifts if you plan on using him.

The devs also gave him all 4 Loyalty skills, just to mess with you. Oh Atlus...:allears:

One of the requests asked for a demon with Paralama, so I used this SMT 1 boss called Douman.

Oh, right... They gave me a Poltergeist as a reward. Hm...

So, you will not be able to make them your allies by talking to them. As fusion materials, though, you could say that darkness is only born from darkness. Once you make one DARK demon, pretty much any fusions you create using that demon will also be DARK. If you plan on creating DARK demons, take this into consideration.

if I use this Ex. Law Archangel with a DARK demon...

Aha!

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 2, 2024

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 10: VR Art Museum, Part 2

Here goes...

"Strange Area"

...nothing?

What is this...? A living being? It said something...

Diapers and desserts? It's trying to say something, but I'm not getting it... This thing doesn't make any sense.

Hmhm... But it is kind of cute. Don't you think so, Tomato?

Oh... It ran away. What was it?

...Anyway, it's getting hot in here. I'm sweating just from standing around. The heat, that creature... This really is a strange world.

Actually, I do.

Oh, that's wonderful! I want more than to remember you, I want to experience you. If you will have me along...

Oh wow, thanks Lady Killer app.

I didn't know there was a treasure in this map... I prefer Evasion over Defense, so I'll equip it on Nemissa.

Hmm...

Tell me about this place.

I'm pretty sure you already know, but this is inside a picture. The previous place was the Ghost Waterfall. This is the Strange Area. There are two other pictures, too. Isn't this place great? You can have some tough battles or play elegant games.

Well, let's set the terms of our little arrangement, then.

Hm? What's this? You don't have any? I've had enough. Now I'm angry... Maybe I'll just attack you.

I see you have a death wish.

There's no end to the world in this painting. Er, I think that's probably not exactly right.

This is a finite space, but the north and south ends are connected, as are the east and west ends. If we just keep strolling along without thinking , we'll be walking until we die.

So, it's kind of like a Moebius strip?

Tomato, we should use something as a marker so we can tell when we pass a point we've already been to.

:actually: I already did when I found the treasure chest.

Null Force armor, babyyyyy!

Okay, time to explain how this place works. Try reading this backwards...

So, let's go to the teleporter down here.

In Japanese the puzzle is written in hiragana and you need to read it from right to left. Translated it says "Higashi chigau" which means something like "Not the East." I actually had to replay the entire game up to this point in Japanese, just to take this screenshot. :)

Remember you can use the compass in the second screen to know which one is the East side.

Go west...

"Think for yourself" :smithicide:

Hm, North or South... Let's go North

:regd09:

Assuming you go South, you'll be teleported here instead.

Two out of three! I'm coming for you, Juggler!

I doubt I'll return here, so I recruited Jack Frost, Archangel and Pyro Jack before meeting the Juggler.

And as usual, our stats.

"Suspicious Occasion"

But, a promise is a promise. So, here's the final piece, the Bishop.

Yup, you've got to be honest. I like you, so I'll give you the Bishop. But, you've got to give me a little fee first: your life.

"Event Battle 1" :siren:Vs. Juggler:siren:

Foul - Juggler

HP: 830
Lv. 28
Nulls: Expel, Death, Mind, Nerve, Curse
Weakness: Fire, Ice, Electricity

Skills:
Silent Whisper: Prevents the entire party from casting spells.
Sukukaja: Increases Accuracy. Stacks up to 4 times.
Tarukaja: Increases Physical Attack. Stacks up to 4 times. (50%/150%/250%/350%)

The Juggler is an enabler and his worst skill by far is Silent Whisper. He'll cast it at the start of the fight, then a mix between Tarukaja/Sukukaja. Not being able to cast spells against 2 bulky enemies with both Phys/Mag damage can be quite dangerous.

Remember the Dimute Stones? If your Nemissa is fairly slow, she can use it on Turn 1 to dispel the Silence right after the Juggler had its turn. If not, just accept you'll have to spend at least 2 turns trying to recover.

Jaki - Lham Dearg

HP: 235
Lv. 26
Resists: Physical
Weakness: Magic

Skills:
Zanma: Deals medium Force damage to a single target.
Mazan: Deals Force damage to an entire row of enemies.
Bamboo Slice: Deals medium Slash damage to a single target.

Not much to say about these two, other than using armor to reduce Force damage is heavily encouraged. They can hit quite hard and using phys attacks against them is nearly useless. If your Nemissa is fast enough, she can easily one shot one of them at the start of the fight.

"Boss Event End"

The Board Room is on the room behind the Juggler.

Let's go back to that Aqua Dolphin painting.

Oho~ Maragi deals fire damage to an entire enemy row. If you haven't faced Speed Demon yet, this can be useful. Keep in mind, the Side Quest has a time limit...

Like they'd be deceitful and plot against us. They'd lull us into security... They might even assassinate the prime minister!

Once again, cryptic but useful advice.

"Suspicious Occasion"

...You're right... As long as I'm here, nothing can bother me... No worries... No bad things...

Her soul was sucked into here, so that's why she's like a corpse in the outside world.

It's that dolphin... He's the one who pulled Tomoko's soul into this world. But he's... That's not Kinap. That dolphin is just a demon.

What are you trying to do to Tomoko? Give her back her soul!

No... Tomoko! Tomoko, say something!

...Hitomi? Tomato? What's wrong? Why are you two here?

Tomoko, get a hold of yourself. This isn't a place you should be in. Let's go home, okay?

Go home? Back to that world...? No... No! I'm not going home!

Why not? Your mother is worried about you!

No, she's only worried about my test scores. She doesn't understand the depth of my suffering. Not like Snappy does. Snappy understands me. I feel so relaxed with Snappy.

This isn't good. That demon's totally bewitched her. At this rate, her soul's going to be consumed and she'll never wake up.

"Event Battle 2" :siren:Vs. Snappy:siren:

Wilder - Snappy

HP: 1068
Lv. 32
Resists: Physical
Drains: Magic
Weakness: None

Skills:

Dolphin Kick: ???
Bufula: Deals medium Ice damage to a single target. Has a chance to inflict Freeze.
Mabufu: Deals Ice damage to one row of enemies. Has a chance to inflict Freeze.
Lullaby: Attempts to put the entire party to sleep.

Snappy is a weird boss. First and foremost, he will always ambush you and start the fight with Dolphin Kick. He's also the first boss in the game who can act twice per turn.

And talking about Dolphin Kick... I'm not entirely sure what this skills does. The Wiki says "Reduces 50% HP to front row enemies, 25% HP to back row enemies" but using my own screenshots and several fights in YT this doesn't seem to be the case. Just assume you'll take unavoidable damage at the start of the fight.

No matter how much you buff, trying to kill Snappy with Phys damage is a terrible strategy because he takes single digit damage. So, how about magic? Well... Snappy drains magic. However...

quote:

But the thing is, there's a limit to everything, even the best stuff. It don't matter how much you like it-- everyone has their limits. But I had this friend, right? A total idiot. And one day he just ate and ate and ate until his gut frigging busted. Man, I kinda feel sorry for him. Alls I'm saying is, be careful or you might end up dead-- and worse, your corpse will look stupid. Seeya!

quote:

Hey, Mister! Did you know that dolphins are super smart? I think if they're smart, they'd know how to lie.

Snappy will keep saying that he loves magic attacks, I mean obviously, he drains it! But Just like Puts said, too much eating and you'll end up dead. The trick to beat Snappy is to feed him magic until he explodes.

"Boss Event End"

I... What happened? I was sneaking a quick peek at the VR Art Museum, when...

Once I've finished my entrance exams, I'll have time to draw all the pictures I want. I'm logging off now. Bye-bye.

Yay...?

But it turned out that this didn't have anything to do with Kinap. I thought we might meet him here...

I didn't know that demons could do things like that... Plus, what he said about gathering souls bothers me.

Either way, we beat him, so it's all good. Let's go home, too.

"Hideout"

"2D Field"

"EL-115"

We have new COMP apps:

Pump Box: Displays EXP needed for the MC to reach the next level.
Nightengaler: Stops Auto-Battle when in danger.
Back Mirror: Prevents enemy blindsides.
Moon Pulser: Shows the moon's effects on the party.
Double Value: Doubles effects of Magnetite during demon negotiation. For example, offering 500 MAG will count as 1000 MAG.
Steiner: Adds Element, Mitama and Zoma fusion to the COMP.

Back Mirror is a no brainer and will probably stay equipped the entire game, the rest are optional.

He used to spend hours on end playing with Paradigm X and telling me how great it was. Now he just stares off into space. I thought he finally got over being dumped, but this is even worse than he was before.

Wait...

quote:

Aw, man, I hope not. My girlfriend dumped me because we couldn't hang out in Paradigm X. If only I had some way of getting in...

Oh, crap.

So, you can crab walk with the L button or the R button. You can also hold the B button. Holding down the B button is also what lets you walk backwards. My daddy showed me that! He knows everything! Isn't he amazing!

I wonder if the PS1/Sega Saturn version had crabwalking.

But, he's acting kinda weird right now... Maybe he's just tired...

"Home"

But, you have to hear this. She was so lifeless one moment, then the next she was right back to normal. It was like she just woke up from hypnosis or something.

I don't remember anything... Was I that bad? I thought I was just playing in the VR Art Museum...

Oh! That's right! Did you run into me in the museum? I feel like you did. I think... Was it next to the dolphin painting? Or... inside it?

Tomato's never even been to the VR Art Museum before.

Aw, really? I really think I ran into you, though...

I don't want you playing that Para-dimex anymore.

:cripes:

I know... I've got to study, right? Ugh. I've got to be a humble student... Oh, well. I guess I'll hit the books.

Really...? That was the lesson? Look, you're completely free to disagree with me here, but I think this resolution is horrendous. Tomoko felt like her mother only cared about her test scores, and instead of proving her wrong, that's exactly the first thing she mentions when we recover her soul. Come the gently caress on...:rant: This is probably just a cultural difference but it still annoys me.

......Hm? Ah, oh. Hi, Hitomi... Tomato... Welcome...

Dad, too? *sigh*

Well, at least Tomoko is safe now. See you in the next update! :atlus:

Or not. :unsmigghh:

"Suspicious Occasion"

You know me?

This presence... I... I know you! You're... Moowis!?

Moowis... That's the demon that possessed me at the Astro Museum?

I thought he ran off, but I didn't think he was going to build himself a body like that. But how do you know Nemissa!?

"Event Battle 2" :siren:Vs. Moowis (Second Form)

Cyber - Moowis

HP: 2016
Lv. 25
Nulls: Expel, Death, Mind, Nerve, Curse, Gun
Resists: Fire, Ice
Weakness: Electricity

Skills:
She Marker: Inflicts Mark.
Dynablast: Deals Skill damage to a single target. Higher damage when the target is Marked.
Zanma: Deals medium Force damage to a single target.
Agilao: Deals medium Fire damage to a single target.
Megido: Deals Almighty damage to a single target.

I hope you didn't return your demons to the COMP because Moowis is back! The fight triggers as soon as you leave your house and I have to admit... I lost a lot of progress the first time I played the game. Moowis will start the fight using She Marker against Nemissa, followed by Dynablast in the next turn. Cast a few defensive buffs or use Tarunda to reduce his ATK. In my testing, Moowis tends to attack Nemissa 9 out of 10 times. I only saw him use a basic attack against another party member once. As for the rest of his skills, try not having any Fire/Force weakness around. Megido is almighty damage, so the only way to reduce the damage is using a defensive buff like Rakukaja.

I decided to use Roma Calor for poo poo and giggles and... it actually worked! While I wouldn't recommend leaving Nemissa on low HP, using Roma Calor efficiently is satisfying as hell. Just remember to have your healer in the back row to reduce their speed and heal Nemissa after she used it.

He must have something to do with those guys who locked me up. That has to be it. Finally, a lead! I'm going to get him, not matter what. Let's go, Tomato.

Hold on. Where do you plan to go catch him? Take a look over there first.

There? Hm? There's something on the ground... What is it?

It has to be a part that fell off of Moowis body. It could be a clue to where he is.

Oh, I see. You're smart, Hitomi. Let's go show it to the other Spookies.

"Hideout"

So if we find where this part came from, we might find where the demon is staying... I see. But I don't know what this is. I'm sorry.

"Leon Automotive"... So he has to be hiding there? All right, I won't let him escape this time.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You're going to rush into a den of demons? Just the two of you?

That Moowis knew me. He has to know something more. I'm gonna grab him and make him tell me what he knows.

But if there are demons there, then the Phantom Society may not be too far away. It'll be dangerous for just the two of you alone. We'll go, too.

All right! I've always wanted to see a real demon!

Are you dense? You only say that because you've never seen one.

We can still help, even if we can't handle demons.

Right. We may not be able to fight directly, but we can provide support. We can't let you two do all the work.

Supportive characters being useful...? I'll take it!

Phew! Quite a long update, I hope you enjoyed it. In the next one, we'll explore one of my favourite dungeons in the game, the Leon Auto Plant. See you! :atlus:

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 2, 2024

Frozenen
Nov 6, 2022
The VR art museum nearly stopped my playthrough of the game. It is rather long, and the puzzles are annoying if you don't look up solutions. I recall not having access to estoma for the old man puzzle, so that one took a fair while on account of all the encounters.

And the dolphin is just bullshit, I had to look up the solution eventually.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I actually thought the Dolphin boss fight was really clever, as it's an interesting way to screw with the knowledge the player has. I did eventually figure it out on my own after enough attempts and really labored on why I'd be randomly told that dolphins can lie. Funnily enough, the way I interpreted this fight was as a pure 4th wall break, where the dolphin is lying to the player and pretending like he's draining attacks even though he takes normal damage.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

There’s a few out of place screenshots in the update… one is early on where the Check Mate! cup is randomly in the middle of a battle, there’s one where Tomoko is talking about Mom only worrying about her academics before it makes sense for her to be doing so…

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

AweStriker posted:

There’s a few out of place screenshots in the update… one is early on where the Check Mate! cup is randomly in the middle of a battle, there’s one where Tomoko is talking about Mom only worrying about her academics before it makes sense for her to be doing so…

It turns out I named the screenshot of Tomoko talking about her mother "429", replacing this one by accident.

I have no idea how the Checkmate gif ended up there... Anyway, both of them have been corrected, thanks a lot for letting me know!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Just another confirmation that dolphins are dicks

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Slaan posted:

Just another confirmation that dolphins are dicks

EDIT: Also, I admit I was the sort of person who would leave my demons summoned all the time. I wonder if the game is balanced around that?

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 1, 2024

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Quackles posted:

EDIT: Also, I admit I was the sort of person who would leave my demons summoned all the time. I wonder if the game is balanced around that?

Well... The Sea Ark/Organic Energy Association exist, so the only way to run out of MAG is having 4 demons summoned at all times and constantly running away from battle. Personally, I prefer to travel with 1-2 demons to resell MAG later.

Unfortunately, the enemies in the next dungeons are not very fond of that strategy...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That Sandman segment had big "I'm a genius!" "OH NO!" vibes.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Two things, first is you said cryptid remarks a couple times, which sounds more like offhand remarks from bigfoot or mothman, rather than cryptic which is mysterious

Second, the whole 'study study study' bit from the mother reminds me of similar (one off) characters from Pokemon, who complain about their children spending too much time with Pokemon and not enough time studying, in a world where most industries, and likely the entire economy, revolves around Pokemon. You are living in a city entirely based around Paradigm Online, your kids being some of the few who get to familiarize themselves with it before the general launch, this is a big opportunity and likely more useful for their future (until Tomato burns the whole thing down of course) than studying would be.

Basically your character's mother is going 'computers will never catch on' in a city built around computers, she dumb.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Ashsaber posted:

Two things, first is you said cryptid remarks a couple times, which sounds more like offhand remarks from bigfoot or mothman, rather than cryptic which is mysterious

Second, the whole 'study study study' bit from the mother reminds me of similar (one off) characters from Pokemon, who complain about their children spending too much time with Pokemon and not enough time studying, in a world where most industries, and likely the entire economy, revolves around Pokemon. You are living in a city entirely based around Paradigm Online, your kids being some of the few who get to familiarize themselves with it before the general launch, this is a big opportunity and likely more useful for their future (until Tomato burns the whole thing down of course) than studying would be.

Basically your character's mother is going 'computers will never catch on' in a city built around computers, she dumb.

Okay, that's embarrassing. :cripes: And...fixed, thank you.

quote:

I know they're supposed to be way more easy to use than they used to be, but man, I still don't get them. But, if you don't learn how to use the new tech, you're going to get left behind in the business world.

quote:

The Pokemon example you mentioned was spot on. Heck, even NPCs around her age are not reluctant to learn about Paradigm X.

I love this game to death, but having "All Tomoko needed was being told to study" as the resolution of her story was terrible, and it has been bothering me since I played the game for the first time. I get that she's supposed to be a traditional Japanese mother but sheesh... Not even a "I'm glad you're okay"? :colbert:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I also didn't get Snappy's gimmick the first time I played so I just fully buffed with Tarukaja, fully debuffed with Rakunda and slowly but surely reduced those 2k HP with physical attacks :black101:

TomatoPawah posted:

And talking about Dolphin Kick... I'm not entirely sure what this skills does. The Wiki says "Reduces 50% HP to front row enemies, 25% HP to back row enemies" but using my own screenshots and several fights in YT this doesn't seem to be the case. Just assume you'll take unavoidable damage at the start of the fight.

Looking at your screenshot, the damage seems to be exactly 25% or 50% to each character indeed. I'm guessing it's RNG and whoever wrote that coincidentally got a roll where the front row characters got the 50% damage and the back ones 25% so they assumed it always followed that formula since it makes sense.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Uploaded by accident, my bad. :doh:

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 11: Leon Automotive

"2D Field"

Oh, right. From now on, the VR Art Museum is inaccessible.

"Hotel Goumaden"

"When the time comes when you can smile from the bottom of your heart, then smile. But never smile any other time. A smile without the heart behind it only desiccates the heart."

So...... Please forgive my shortcomings.

Uh...huh. Okay, I won't mention it anymore.

Fair enough. Anyway, time to fuse demons.

Airavata is quite bulky to be a healer, 289HP and 11 Endurance means he can go in the front row to get that sweet speed modifier. Thanks to Judah's Silky I'm able to pass Diarama and Media.

Principality is whatever. I guess having another Hama user can be useful.

I'm only fusing this demon because of Bufula.

A single enemy in the next dungeon has Mudo and that's enough to be considered a threat, so I buy equipment to block instant death for both the MC and Nemissa.

While this armor piece is weaker, Nemissa needs to block fire damage during this dungeon if you're playing on hard. Why's that? Well...

Yeah... More on this guy later.

Several enemies in the next dungeon have a weakness to Expel damage, so I buy 10 Segaki Rice. These work just as Hama, but as a consumable item, and allow the MC to do something else other than get hit and summon demons.

I thought I just saw something strange go into Leon Auto Plant. I wonder what that was...

Tf is his problem?

Man, you're always so angry. You need to get more calcium. Try drinking some milk or eating some kale or something.

"Leon Automotive (Electricity OFF)"

Everyone, split up and find the Main Power Room. Lunch, you're with me. Six, take Yu-Ichi with you.

Tomatoe, protect Hitomi, all right? We'll see you later.

Why do you have to protect me? Nemissa doesn't need any help.

Leader's always worrying about the team members. He's a very selfless man. Right, Tomato?

Anyway, why is it completely dark here!?

It definitely is strange. Even if it's nighttime, not having a single light is really odd...

Wait! Is this his plan...!? Be careful, everyone! If Moowis is the one behind this blackout, everyone's in danger!

Ha-ha... That oaf is trying to strike me while hidden in the darkness, huh? This should be interesting! I'll show him what it means to pick a fight with me! Let's find Moowis, Tomato!

Despite having our radar in green, there are no enemy encounters and the music is quite simple.

And of course nothing works until we turn on the power.

I thought I just saw a robot walking around. Not a construction robot, though. It walked toward the back, making robot noises...

Hmph. So he ran this way. Hey, what's in the back?

The elevator leading to the upper floors is back there. But it's inoperable because the power's out.

Epic.

D-Demon...? I said I saw a robot. Who said anything about demons...? I gotta get outta this darkness.

Gotta boot this puppy up and log in to the system... That's a good girl.

Now to send the order to begin power, aaaaand...

It looks like we got to it first, Tomatoe. Is the elevator moving, Leader?

Gimme a sec. Ummmm.... Is this it? Yeah, that's the ticket. All right, I see it. It's on.

Phew. It looks like we can move on. I don't know what kind of monster attacked you guys, so let's be extra cautious.

"Leon Automotive (Electricity ON)"

And here's one of the reasons why I LOVE this dungeon. My jaw dropped when I left the Main Power Room, only to be greeted with a new song.

See that 100-Taro? This means Back Mirror activated and prevented a blindside.

RIP Bozo.

Hmmm... So you know me. Oh, and by the looks of that COMP you have, I'd guess that we aren't enemies. But still, I shut the power off so that demons wouldn't come out. Why did you turn it back on?

Oh...

Oh, sorry... We didn't know. We're after a certain demon.

Is that so? Well, I'll let you handle this. Good luck.

She is.

If you gave Nemissa enough agility, she can outspeed and one round any demon that doesn't null fire. :unsmigghh:

Huh... No random encounters, that's weird.

There are holes here and there... Looks like someone was going around destroying things. They definitely don't want us here.

By the way, have you noticed? It seems demons don't come near this outer area, which is lucky for us.

Don't tell Six about it, though. Heh. He'd probably never leave the safe zone.

Come on, he isn't that much of a coward.

There's another elevator here, but it doesn't work just yet. Guess I should check the rest of the floors first.

Oh, right. Only the edge of the map is a safe zone. As soon as you approach the middle, your radar (assuming you're using the app like me) will start moving.

It wouldn't be a Dungeon Crawler without pitfalls... At least this one leads to a "secret area" in the first floor.

Out of the way.

Phew... Aim is able to one shot Nemissa easily. Headless Rider was a powerhouse during the VR Art Museum update, but now we're up against him...

These pigs have Mudo and are a weak to Expel, so...

:peanut:

Left.

Hey, my horoscope said that my lucky direction is left! Good things are gonna happen. Do you know how to tell fortunes, too? That's pretty awesome.

Believe in yourself!

I've been dreaming of something like this! Can I fight at your side!? You look like you know how to have a good time.

For some reason, a few treasures boxes are empty.

You don't need to leave a single demon alive to recruit it, but it definitely helps.

A new beginning.

YOU HAVE A POSITIVE STANCE, EVEN ON YOUR OWN DEATH. I ADMIRE THAT. I HAVE DECIDED... THAT I WILL GO WITH YOU.

More Agility because I do not want to deal with Spin Slash.

Two incenses, two items and some MAG.:toot:

You can exit through here, but it’s a one-way door.

This is going to hurt... Let's summon our healer.

quote:

Leanan Sidhe tends to cast Lullaby, and the 3 Sandmans can use Happy Trriger.

The wiser choice would've been to kill all 3 Sandman, but I need to recruit one to make a cool demon.

This is what 3 Endurance looks like, at least she didn't d--

*sigh*

Buffs are pretty broken in this game, by the way.

Trying to put my healer to sleep? Nice Try. This is why being in the front line is so important if you want to act faster.

Compare the initial damage of Happy Trigger with this one. Having a demon with Rakukaja at all times is very important.

Yes, you are.

Tell me about this place.

Actually, I'm having trouble with that, too. Well let's set the terms of our little arrangement, then.

Wow, thank you. You're pretty generous. Yep, I'm in your team now.

:confused: Thanks...?

Want to see something funny?

Dumb demon with Recarmudra.

Oh yes! Please use Happy Trigger against two enemies that null Gun damage. I hate Dumb demons sometimes...

And the radar is still yellow...

If you picked Fire path Nemissa, she will have issues against those red demons since they null fire... This is why I gave her a powerful gun.

They also LOVE to spam Maragi. This is why I gave her weaker armor in exchange to being able to nullify fire attacks.

Come here, you idiot.

The MC got hit by Mudo, but it was nullified. Losing progress is never fun.

Oho~

The Schiavona, just like the Spirit Kodachi, hits the entire enemy row.

The Rikioh's Kote also nulls Death and gives 3 Strength to the MC, in exchange he will lose 4 points of Magic and will be weak to Expel. While being weak to one type of instant death sounds scary, the MC can just use a Tetraja Stone (assuming we don't get ambushed...) at the start of the turn. Remember, we're getting all these drops thanks to the Finders Keepers COMP app.

Down here, you can find a Terminal and a Healing spot.

Figures...

I guess I should explain why this update took a little longer than usual... :shepicide:

Yoma - Shiwanna

HP: 256
Lv. 32
Alignment: NEUTRAL - NEUTRAL
Personality: Calm
Repels: Expel
Weakness: Death

Skills:
Maragi: Deals fire damage to an entire row of enemies
Violet Flash: Expel-based skill with a chance to instantly kill all targets in the front row.
Markdi: Cures Mark.

I thought the Urban Terror (more on that douchebag later) was the most dangerous enemy you could find in random encounters, but this demon called Shiwanna took his place.

Here I got creamed thanks to an enemy ambush and Violet Flash, a skill with Expel damage, while wearing the Rikioh's Kote.

So I fused some demons, changed Nemissa's armor and checked his weakness at the Goumaden. Oh, would you look at that? Mudo only works against enemies in the front row!

If you try to use a Tetraja Stone to block Violet Flash...

He can still use Maragi, and it hurts. I tried to use Airavata to heal my MC instead of using a Bead, while using sleep bullets to make the enemy lose a turn, but Shiwanna casted Maragi again...

And that's how I got my first game over. I also ended up losing a lot of progress because I only save at Terminals. Hopefully my future self learned from those mistakes.

Shiwanna is tanky enough to survive Nemissa.

Denied.

Both Katakirauwa and Sandman started to grow on me at this point... I find demons with Loyalty skills to be quite lovely.:allears:

Nemissa learns Diarama, a stronger version of Dia.

Finally! :livintrope:

:allears:

With the power of Love, Force and Guns!

Nata Taishi is born!

Look! A Dumb demon with Meat Bullet.:sludgepal:

It's always satisfying to enter the Velvet Room/Cathedral of Shadows/Goumaden with a ton of demons and exit the place with only a few of them.

Anyway, as soon as I returned to the dungeon, the first random encounter loving destroyed me.

Once again, I forgot to save... Luckily, I managed to kill it on my own.

Enough, I don't want to have to record this update again.

Okay...

Let's see... I think we can turn on Elevator #2 from here.

Can we hurry up?

Geez, what a pain. Moowis must be really afraid of us. He really wants to keep us out of here.

Now to go all the way back to the elevator...

The third floor is completely optional, and there's a good reason for that...

Could be useful, I suppose.

*sigh*

Foul - Urban Terror

HP: 255
Lv. 31
Alignment: DARK - CHAOS
Personality: Calm
Nulls: Expel
Repels: Strike, Slash
Weakness: Stupid AI None

Skills:
Aim: Deals Gun damage to one enemy.
Happy Trigger: Deals heavy gun damage to all enemies.
Psycho Barrier: Blocks any Mind ailments for a single turn.

Meet the Urban Terror, he's an urban terrorist and the cause of many game overs when I played the game for the first time. Why? Have a look at his resistances... Are you telling me a foul demon, a race filled with evil spirits, nulls Expel? Also, what's with the Strike and Slash repel? Is it supposed to be due to the grenades on his chest? Following that logic, he should be weak to Gun damage!

In any case, Aim and Happy Trigger suck. Luckily, just like I mentioned during the Amami Airport update, his AI is terrible and he tends to use Psycho Barrier (sometimes even twice in a row...) more often. But when Happy Trigger lands...

It hurts... :gibs:

Up and at them, Nemissa! We need y-

Oh, I'm dead...

At least that's what I would say if I didn't have any kind demon with a high loyalty to take mortal blows in my place. :cawg:

See that icon on the floor? If you stand on it and stop moving...

Remember the "Secret Area"? Well, this is where you'll end up after each failed attempt. I never bothered doing this fairly when I played the game on my 3DS, but with the power of save states I'll be able to show you this place fully.

Say hi to one of the most broken skills, or in this case items, in the entire game. When using a magical mirror, any magic damage (other than Almighty) will be reflected back to the caster...infinite times! Yeah, if an enemy uses a spell with 99 hits, they'll eat those 99 hits as well. The best way to use these is with a fast MC or a very fast demon.

The King Panel will change your portraits to King Frost, hee-ho!

Oh, right... Back Mirror's description is lying to you. It doesn't prevent blindsides, it only reduces the chances of being blindsided...

Did I tell you how much I love Meat Bullet? I wish I could face several fast enemies with Meat Bullet.

And... I'm dead again.

Not!

Very funny, game...

And... We’re done here! It definitely gets easier if you can see the map beforehand, and are already used to crabwalk.

Man, that guy's such a klutz. He just gets in my way. So I told him to get his crap together. Then he started sulking, and he just said if I was gonna be a jerk, that he'd just go.

You did what...?

And then he went home. I'm glad he did. It only gets more dangerous when he's around.

...Something's wrong. You're way too confident. Normally you'd be crapping your pants...

...Wh-What!? Nothing's wrong! What are you talking about?

Ohhhh... I get it now. Demons don't appear in this area, do they? It's like what Lunch was telling us earlier. I bet that's it. That's the only way someone who's as scared of demons as you are could be so calm right now.

Dammit, Hitomi! Shut up! Unlike you and Tomatoe, I've got survival instincts!

So excuse me, Miss Strong Assertive Woman, but maybe none of my combat magazines ever prepared me to fight monsters!

Wow, what a bitch.

...Er, s-sorry about that. This is all very stressful for me!

Riding the Elevator #2, then heading to the 4th Floor will allow you to reach the boss room. Unfortunately, there are a few treasure boxes we haven't opened yet, and I'm the type of player who wants to step on every single tile and open all treasure chests. :smug:

Fall through this pitfall.

Voilà! A free helmet and a Chakra Pot.

It looked like a robot. That can't be right... Although, with the power being out, and the walkways getting destroyed, I can't really rule it out...

Notice how there's still an empty area on the 2nd Floor...

Head back to the 4th Floor and fall through here.

"Treasure Chest Battle"

Bye.

A bit overkill, but pretty good nonetheless.

This won't do...

I use Nemechi to buy Forneus, who has Makakaja at base, and Dormarth because she's cute… And has good physical damage, of course.

And finally Tuna-Roa, because it can inherit Tarukaja from Yaka.

Our stats.

And our team.

Let's do this!

"Finnegan's Entrance"

Oh wow, the workers weren't kidding when they called Moowis a robot. :stare:

Moowis, how do you know about me? You know who locked me away, don't you?

Is your master the one who locked me up? Tell me!

Whaddya mean "our"!? Who's this master?

Arrrrrgh! Stop dragging this out and tell me everything! Who are you!? How do you know about Nemissa!?

"Event Battle 2" :siren: Vs. Moowis (Third Form):siren:

Cyber - Moowis (Third Form)

HP: 3812
Lv. 36
Nulls: Expel, Death, Mind, Nerve, Curse, Skill, Gun
Resists: Fire, Ice
Weakness: Electricity

Skills:
Agilao: Deals medium Fire damage to a single enemy.
Maragion: Deals medium Fire damage to all enemies.
She Marker: Inflicts Mark.
Destroyer Pile: Deals Strike damage to a single enemy with splash damage to the rest.
Megido: Deals Almighty damage to a single target.
Megidola: Deals Almighty damage to an entire row.

Moowis is...interesting. He'll take 3 turns analyzing you, followed by marking Nemissa, using Agilao, and finally a mix between his other skills. His most dangerous attack by far is Megidola. While Almighty damage in Megaten ignores resistances, the damage can be reduced with defensive buffs like Rakukaja. It's recommended to cast Rakukaja 1-2 times on Normal and at least 2-3 times on Hard. Otherwise your MC will die, causing a game over.

Turn 1: Nothing
Turn 2: Nothing
Turn 3: Nothing
Turn 4: Nothing
Turn 5: She Marker on Nemissa
Turn 6: Agilao
Turn 7: Maragion, Destroyer Pile, Megido or Megidola
Turn 8: Maragion, Destroyer Pile, Megido or Megidola
Turn 9: Back to Turn 2

If you have a demon with Makakaja and/or Rakunda it's very easy to clown on Moowis and kill him before he even gets a chance to act. I wish this boss could use his strongest moves without having to wait 3 turns doing nothing.

"Final Event 1"

Maybe if you didn't take 3/4 turns doing absolutely nothing...

Let's go, Tomato!

"VR Tours"

What was that...!? Was it Moowis's doing, too?

If so... Then let's make him tell us what he was doing! C'mon, Tomato!

"Boss Event End"

NEMISSA... YOU FOLLOWED ME...

We have you to thank for that, Moowis. Once you possessed Hitomi, you also gave me the power to enter this world.

HMMMM... YOU REALLY HAVE LOST YOUR MEMORY... I DIDN'T GRANT YOU THAT POWER. WE'RE ALL GIVEN THAT POWER FROM THE START.

What...? A-Are you leading me astray? Or am I really from the same group as you!?

HMHMHM... HAVE YOU COME TO SEE MY END? YO DO GOVERN DEATH, AFTER ALL...

BUT... I AM NOT ALONE... THE SECOND, OR THE THIRD... WILL... DEFEAT YOU... TH-THEN, MANITOU WILL...

MANITOU... WIIIIILL...

No! M-Moowis! You didn't answer my questions! Moowis! Mooowiiiss!

Um, I don't think Moowis knew who locked you away, Nemissa. But... He seemed to know something else...

I know that! But, he knew something about me. I could have found out who I am!

...Did you really lose your memory?

I-It can't be. I'm me. I've always just been me, right? A-Anyway, let's just get out of here. I don't like it here. We're heading back to the plant.

"Kuzunoha Event End"

You just sat back and watched while we did all the work?

I didn't come here to kill demons, so why would I help? I'm here to investigate Phantom. Wherever there are demons, Phantom is always close... At least, that's what I figured. Unfortunately, I came up empty-handed.

It seems you didn't quite find what you were looking for, either.

That is true, but... Um...

You sure keep your cards close to your chest. I'm guessing your situation's complicated. Especially you...

This is a reference to the story of the first Devil Summoner. The protagonist of that game gets killed by the main villain, only to get his soul transferred to Rei's partner, Kyouji Kuzunoha. And talking about Rei's partner...

Remember him? Yeah, that's Kyouji. *sigh* I wish I could play the original Devil Summoner in English. At least a Spanish translation is close to being finished! Anyway, back to the main story.

Eh, nevermind. Getting your life story at this point isn't going to help much. But if you're going to continue fighting against Phantom, I'd advise that you at least meet with someone.

Whoa, it's not like we're all friends here yet. Why should we meet her?

I'm not forcing you to. But, she knows Phantom very well. I'm sure she'd be of help to you. You can find Madam Ginko at the Goumaden. I'll let her know to expect you.

Hey, quit deciding for us...

Hm? It seems that someone else has arrived. Time for me to be on my way.

Honestly, she's right. I have a feeling that knowing about them will be a significant part of the upcoming battle.

Killed, huh... Then we don't really have any clues about Phantom, huh...

No... We didn't really get anything...

I see...

Well, at least you guys won't be getting ambushed any more. Everyone's safe, so that's a success in my book. Let's return to the HQ. I'm a bit worried about Yu-Ichi.

You of all people are telling him everyone to just leave him alone? He's actually pretty sensitive, you know.

Hm? Okay. You can catch up with us later, then.

"2D Field"

What a dungeon... I still love the place, even after having to record multiple times after dealing with Shiwanna and Urban Terror.

Oh, right... They're part of Phantom.

"Hotel Goumaden"

Madame Ginko is another character from Devil Summoner, but as you can see, she had an entirely different design back then.

In this game she's voiced by Tara Platt, voice of Mitsuru Kirijo/Elizabeth from Persona 3 and... *siiiiigh* Edelgard von Hresvelg from Fire Emblem 3 Houses... She also voices the MC's mother.

In the JP dub she has a male voice and according to the Wiki, Japanese guidebooks refer to Ginko as a "She", making her a trans woman. Soul Hackers 2 gave Ginko a male voice in both the English and JP dub.

So, you're Tomato. And this must be Hitomi... It would appear that both of you have stepped onto a harsh path.

Wow... She's so beautiful... I expected someone scarier...

Quit gawping at her, geez. Are you just gonna stand there staring all day? Get a hold of yourself.

Hey, lady, if you've heard about us, then you know we're here to find out about the Phantom Society.

Oh, I know. But Phantom is a much bigger and more fearsome organization than you think. Pursuing them will only result in even more perilous battles. Especially for you, Tomato... Do you have the courage to carry out your will?

This dialogue choice is quite important, but only if you're playing on a NG+ file. For now, I'll just pick the first option.

I'm confident.

Carrying out one's will is the only way to learn the purpose of existence. Perhaps that is humanity's worth... It may be too late to stop you.

The Phantom Society is an organization that has controlled the world from the shadows since long, long ago. Its power stretches across the world, and now this society can even control an entire nation.

And what do goons like that want to do with this city?

I do not know the full extent of what Phantom's plans are for Amami. What I do know is that the principles behind their actions transcend the common ideals of morality and justice.

So they're not doing it for good or for evil...?

But Phantom is motivated by control. Their fight is for a completely different cause than yours.

Control...

Rei did not want to see you killed. That is why she introduced you to me. Your reason for fighting Phantom is not for me to know. However, as one who shares your objective, I shall cooperate with you as much as I can. As proof I give you this.

...A sword? It doesn't look like much.

The Nameless Sword. Much like Tomato himself. Just as Tomato obtained the COMP and became a Summoner... This sword will grow, too...

Take this to the kitchen within the Goumaden. It will be of great use to you.

Perhaps Rei saw something of that young man in you, Tomato.

What young man?

Three years ago, there was a young man who had no choice but to become a Summoner. He was killed by a Dark Summoner, but his soul possessed the body of another Summoner... Before he gained his Summoner powers, he had lived a normal life. Rei knew that young man, very well.

How strange... That sounds a lot like Tomato's situation.

The two of you are too young to die. Do not act rashly!

Thank you very much, Madam Ginko... About that Young man... whatever happened to him?

drat, I guess no cameo from the Devil Summoner MC.

I am Muramasa, chef of the S.S. Sinful. It is a pleasure to meet you.

Oui, mademoiselle. I excel in the culinary arts, but I also excel at the art of putting souls into swords. My family line has crafted swords for generations, but I have developed a new technique. The technique of imbuing the power of a demon into a sword... I think I am the only one in the world. A three-star idea, wouldn't you say? But it would be faster to show you than to explain it. Please try it out.

Sword fusion is something else I completely ignored on my first playthrough, but unlike Zoma fusion, I would like to give it a try this time.

"Shichisei Muramasa is the standard sword, and its strength depends on the demon's level and stats. For example, fusing a demon with high level, agility and luck will result in a sword with higher accuracy.

However, certain demons will give the Nameless Sword unique features, such as: Basic attacks hitting an entire row, status effects, elemental properties, etc.

To avoid struggling against enemies who null fire and are weak to ice, I'll fuse Tuna-Roa to create an ice sword.

:siren:Sword Fusion:siren:

There's also a Sword Compendium. Creating a sword for the first time will automatically be registered into the Compendium, after that you'll have to manually register the swords.

No hard feelings, right?

I can't really discuss it right now... I need you to come back to HQ. ASAP.

"Hideout"

Do you know this Finnegan?

So this WAS about you guys... To tell you the truth, there are signs that this posting has been accessed before we found it.

Dammit... That idiot.

Shut the gently caress up, Six.

That's so reckless! Finnegan's a killer. At this rate...

Yeah. We need to save him...

I just told him the truth!

Enough! There's no time for this. Let's just go.

Oho~

Finnegan crossed the line with this one. In the next update, we'll explore the Amami Float and bring our boy Yu-Ichi back. See you! :atlus:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

How do you know which demons can pass on a specific skill to a target demon, anyway?

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Quackles posted:

How do you know which demons can pass on a specific skill to a target demon, anyway?

TL;DR: Demons tend to have a hidden affinity, you can check it at the Megami Tensei fusion calculator, but it usually revolves around their resistances.

Using this demon as an example.

Airavata can inherit Force Skills because he drains that element.

Katakirauwa reflects Death, so it can inherit Dark skills.

If you're wondering "Shouldn't Katakirauwa inherit Force skills too?" Well, after doing more testing I noticed how the skill inheritance has a hierarchy. For example, if a demon repels Fire and drains Force, the game will give priority to Fire skills during fusion. Things get trickier when talking about healing skills and buffs/debuffs. If a demon has a Fire affinity and you can only pass healing skills and buffs, the Goumaden will give priority to the healing skills.

To clarify, blue skills are Extra skills and cannot be transferred through fusion. Every other skill here can be transferred, however...

Despite draining Electricity, this demon has an Ice affinity.

During fusion, the game transfers the strongest healing skill which is Diarama, then searches for a skill to match the Ice affinity, this being Mabufu from Principality. Despite having 3 skills to pick from Dormarth (Tetraja, Makarakarn and Tarunda) none of these are picked because they're part of the "Support Affinity." These skills being buffs, debuffs and such. Instead, the game looks for another healing skill and picks Media.

Airavata's base kit is: Zanma, Rakukaja and Paraladai. Diarama and Media were inherited by Silky and the skills from Nekomata were completely ignored, despite having an extra slot.

To sum up, Soul Hackers fusion is way too convoluted. :hmmyes:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, uh, that's making me really grateful for how this works in Persona 5.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I just caught up! I've liked the vibes so far.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, uh, that's making me really grateful for how this works in Persona 5.

Rakukaja and Taru/Makakaja are the skills you really want to have around; Rakunda is way harder to get because it belongs to the "Support Affinity". Maybe I'm just coping, but I like how limited fusion is in Soul Hackers. Trying to pass every single skill would make demons less unique, in my opinion. Which is the same reason why I love the Loyalty System, even if can be annoying at times...or you have to deal with Dumb demons. :tif:

Junpei posted:

I just caught up! I've liked the vibes so far.

I'm glad you like it! Knowing that people is enjoying the LP makes me want to work even harder.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm curious: What is your opinion of Strange Journey?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

TomatoPawah posted:

Rakukaja and Taru/Makakaja are the skills you really want to have around; Rakunda is way harder to get because it belongs to the "Support Affinity". Maybe I'm just coping, but I like how limited fusion is in Soul Hackers. Trying to pass every single skill would make demons less unique, in my opinion. Which is the same reason why I love the Loyalty System, even if can be annoying at times...or you have to deal with Dumb demons. :tif:

I was going to say the same thing. Part of me misses the more restrictive fusion systems since it forced you to make compromises and try different things. In the newest games I feel you just fuse a Dragon Quest party (physical attacker, magical attacker, healer/supporter) that you fuse into stronger versions of themselves every two dungeons.

Man, they're all so randomly hostile towards Six, I guess they're all equipped with weapons that can hurt the demons like the MC is but still I'd say it's Leader, Lunch and Yu-Ichi the ones with a death wish running so carelessly to dens of demons without many means to defend themselves.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Quackles posted:

I'm curious: What is your opinion of Strange Journey?

If you want the short version: Strange Journey is easily one of my favorite games. The setting, the combat, the story, the characters, the music. All of them are just... *chef's kiss* peak Megaten. Now, for the long version...

The game starts a bit slow, but the intro sets the mood perfectly. The world is going to hell, and it's your job to save whatever its left. Failing in your task means death for both you and the rest of the human race. No pressure, right? There's also this really cool detail about the quiz to calculate your initial stats and growths. One of the questions says "Will the mission succeed?" And you have three answers: Yes, No and I don't know. Did you know that is impossible to answer with anything but "Yes"? The Demonica will say "Invalid Input, try again" if you pick the other two. Little details like that is what makes the intro memorable, despite being quite lengthy.

Characters: I love the Alignment reps this game has. They're probably one of the best, if not the best, alignment reps in the series. All 3 of them feel so human and have compelling reasons to act the way they do. Props to the Red Sprite crew, they made me change my Alignment right at the end of the game. And this is coming from someone who doesn't like Neutral outside of Devil Survivor.

Combat: Demon-coop is very underrated and I wish more games would use it (not counting Soul Hackers 2 btw) as the main battle system. While I have nothing against Press Turn, using demon alignments to determine the amount of damage you deal is just fantastic and it adds a lot of replay value. It also makes you use a lot of demons you wouldn't pick otherwise. Some fights are absolute dogshit though. Two bosses have a skill called Pure Blue. Pure Blue removes all debuffs and heals over 1k HP. This doesn't seem like a huge deal until you realize, they can use this skill EVERY. SINGLE. TURN. Other than that, I don't have a lot of negative things to say about the original combat.

Dungeon design: The dungeons in Strange Journey are a bit of a mixed bag. I personally dislike Delphinus and Grus. But then you have dungeons like Eridanus. I'm not censoring that one because even people who haven't played SJ know about it, and those who post the Eridanus map out of nowhere to criticize it deserve to be consumed by the Schwarzwelt have no idea what they're talking about. Jokes aside, the dungeons are pretty good. One criticism I have is the repetitive music, though.

I want to finish this somewhat long answer talking about Redux.

People tend to hate Redux because it makes the game "too easy" giving you access to new Sub-Apps, removing the Sub-App limit, adding Commander skills, etc. Personally, I couldn't disagree more. Commander skills make your character way more relevant than ever. In the DS version, the space marine is stuck for 90% of the game as the item user and demon summoner. Commander Skills add a whole new layer of strategy, especially if you plan on challenging the new bosses. And come on... is anyone really going to complain about having a reliable way to prevent ailments...?

I also noticed there is no Redux LP in the Master List, only the DS version. I guess I could give it a try, eventually. :allears:

Petiso posted:

I was going to say the same thing. Part of me misses the more restrictive fusion systems since it forced you to make compromises and try different things. In the newest games I feel you just fuse a Dragon Quest party (physical attacker, magical attacker, healer/supporter) that you fuse into stronger versions of themselves every two dungeons.

The demon affinities introduced in SMT IV: Apocalypse and SMT V kind of help... But at the end they all fall in the "Dragon Quest party" archetype you mentioned. Funny how not allowing demons to gain EXP is what motivates the player to keep fusing them.

quote:

Man, they're all so randomly hostile towards Six, I guess they're all equipped with weapons that can hurt the demons like the MC is but still I'd say it's Leader, Lunch and Yu-Ichi the ones with a death wish running so carelessly to dens of demons without many means to defend themselves.

Yeah, I wonder how they manage to travel safely through the dungeons. I don't remember any of them mentioning weapons or even fighting demons. :magemage:

Honestly my main issue with Six is the way he treats Yu-Ichi and the bad habit of leaving his teammates behind. He got separated from Lunch back in Algon NS, and now Yu-Ichi too. Nemissa even called him a chicken at the start of the game and he's more flustered than anything, but as soon as Yu-Ichi dares to speak he treats him like poo poo for no reason. I already finished recording the next update and I feel like he crossed a line... But then again, you're completely free to disagree with me.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 12: Amami Float

"Hideout"

Yeah, yeah... In a second.

Once you complete Leon Automotive, you'll lose access to the Speed Demon sidequest. The game doesn't give you that many clues if you're playing blind, but NG+ is something you'll want to do no matter what.

"EL-115"

He'd probably be shocked to hear that you hacked your way into the beta records.

CAPS LOCK: Prevents random encounters against low level demons.
Mr. Surprise: Raises the chance of a preemptive attack.
Judgmental Eyes: Changes cursor to show when an enemy nulls, drains or repel attacks. Works even against demons who haven't been analyzed yet.
Dark Man: Allows you to speak with DARK demons.
Jive Talkin': Translates gibberish speech.

Every new app here can be useful, especially Dark Man. Jive Talkin' is quite...unique. Allow me to explain.

Some demons are recruitable, but will ask Yes or No questions using gibberish. While being able to understand what they're saying doesn't mean you'll be able to recruit them, it still helps. Don't use Nozuchi during this dungeon though...

"Organic Energy Association"

MAG IS 2 YEN MORE EXPENSIVE, NEED TO...RESELL! :homebrew:

I believe that a great number who are in need of MAG are beginning to take action...

You think it's the Phantom Society?

I have no idea who these people are. I would surmise that they are those who need to control demons, such as yourself.

"Video Muscle"

Oh right, I forgot to show the differences between my old sword and the Hyoujin Muramasa. The accuracy is still crap, but the damage is a lot higher and the ice property makes it more than worth it.

Is that a loving AK? Yes please!

Nemissa with a double barrel shotgun, what could possibly go wrong?

Maybe you should watch your back. You've been making something of a name for yourself lately, you know.

Will do, Matthew Mercer.

"Picture Gallery Radder"

Holy poo poo, 15 Endurance is a lot but look at those numbers!

And...we're done with the equipment.

"Automata"

She doesn't seem too happy... I'd feel bad if she got stuck like that.

Eh, might as well. I love free MAG but even I get tired of fighting the same demons over and over again, especially when they're weak.

These are the apps I'll be using. Let's give Dark Man a try.

Okay maybe not during a full moon...

"Battle Conversation"

If you join me.

You'll take Poltergeist if Poltergeist joins you? It looks fun to go with you... Poltergeist's going with you!

:toot:

"2D Field"

Everything goes at some point. Life really is pointless, isn't it?

Leader... Don't let it get to you. I'm sure Yu-Ichi will be fine.

Supposedly, it's still under construction, but I see people going inside who clearly are not construction workers. But maybe I'm just reading too much into it. I'm generally pretty suspicious of things. It comes with the job.

That must be the hotel that Six and... Yu-Ichi were investigating. It's called the Sea Ark. Hey Tomatoe, did you try the Sea Ark yet?

It's alright.

Yeah, it's friggin' amazing. Those amazing jerks are just causing all kinds of amazing headaches right now.

*sigh*

The Shuttle Platform is on the Amami Airport B1F, left side.

"Shuttle Platform"

Let's hurry. I'm really worried about Yu-Ichi.

:siren:

Tch. Who the hell would be calling us now?

Hey it's your phone, Tomatoe.

That's Finnegan's voice!

I'm glad you accepted my challenge, but what's this bullcrap!? You'd send a brat like this in your place?

I came here to settle the score with you. If you're not up for that, I'll have to devise other ways to entertain myself.

If you value this kid's life, get to the materials storeroom before I get bored. Just you and the girl. This is your last warning.

That call came from Yu-Ichi's phone...

That goddamn idiot! He practically volunteered to become a hostage!

Jesus Christ Six, we get it.

No problem. Going alone is better for me anyway. It's easier to move without the extra weigh--

Err, you'll just have to wait a little bit extra... We'll do our best and make sure we bring Yu-Ichi back.

Well, here goes nothing.

Leader...:ohdear:

Finnegan said to meet him at the materials storeroom, right? Let's go.

"Amami Float"

You better come prepared, this dungeon is quite long and backtracking will be unavoidable.

Early Terminal and Healing Spot, always welcome.

Nemissa can still one shot entire rows using Marag--

Oh no...

The Youtou Nihiru grants Nemissa a massive boost in ATK power! The catch? Well... What the game means with "Utter care is needed when handling" is that each time you use it, there's a chance Nemissa will turn into stone. Fun, right? I'm not sure if this can be prevented with equipment to nullify Death but I'll use it anyway.

The switch is all the way on the 13th floor! Guess wo's got two thumbs and isn't going all the way up there... This guy.

Good luck with that...

...You. Wanna go to the 13th floor and hit the switch for me? I'd do it, but I've already decided that I don't want to.

:smugjones:

"Normal Battle"

Bah, more weak enemies. I just gotta kill the Maruts in the back, then--

:shepicide:

Don't attack Nemissa, you idiot!

Phew...

gently caress... gently caress... gently caress! :blastu:

Did you know that Meat Bullet costs 2 HP? :bravo: You better kill those birds in a single turn, or you'll regret it.

You need to find some switches before being able to use these.

Both of them.

I like this new sword. :unsmigghh:

The elevators only stop at the fifth and thirteenth floors. So those are the only two floors you can get to.

So 1F, 5F and 13F. Got it.

Ayyy! Nemissa can one shot flying units with her shotgun.

Ohoho... BIg mistake, buddy.

Oooookay, you guys don't like Nemissa. That's fine...

I messed up the screenshots here, so let me explain what these two demons do. Kotoshironusi reflects Magic in exchange of being weak to Phys. His strongest skill is Deathbound, dealing heavy phys damage to an entire row.

I fused Leprechaun only because of Rakunda and Makarakarn and it was a TERRIBLE mistake. You'll see...

On the way back, I recruited a few Dark demons, just because.

I also gave Moh Shuvuu a Diamond to make her join my party, despite being a low level demon. Is it too obvious that I like her?

You okay?

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh! You're night! Doooooon't touch meeee!

You're a woman!?

Dost I look like a woman. It seems my beauty is backfiring on me. I, I, I, I'm going toooooooooooo!!!!

What just happened...? :confused:

Why hasn't this design been used for more games? Just look at it!

And...my demon stock is full, great.

That's the first floor. I'll let you know that a few rooms have treasure inside so I wont be uploading those screenshots. Let's do a quick trip to the Goumaden.

I don't even know why I fused this guy...

Jahi, on the other hand, is a valuable asset thanks to Makakaja. She also happens to repel physical in exchange of being weak to Magic and... well... :smithicide: It will all make sense at the end of the update, I promise.

And lastly, my Tarukaja bot.

Remember to save...

Charm is really starting to be an issue, too bad my past self is too dumb to see it. Good thing I saved...

To reach the first lever control, we need to go to the 5th floor.

This area also has lifts, but unlike the ones at 1F, they do work.

*sigh*

Nah.

:colbert:

After fully exploring 5F, go all the way to the left and take this elevator. It'll take you to floor 13, where you can find the first lever.

:toot:

. . .

Alright, I had enough... Charm is being really annoying. To prevent Charm you need to null Curse.

Nemissa also has an armor piece to null Curse, but her defense is already weak enough. Besides, if she hits herself it's no big deal.

"Nemechi"

Thor and Albion are the last 2 demons you can unlock from Nemechi's female path. Well...not quite. There's still one more demon, but it requires a lot more D-Souls and I do mean A LOT.

The block A door leads to...another elevator. Yay...

If you go to the left, you'll reach...

Another elevator! :shepicide: Don't get me wrong, I like this dungeon but going up and down can be really confusing.

Welp, no point in complaining now. Hopefully this place has another lever.

At level 35, Nemissa learns a stronger version of Agi called Agilao. If Agi deals around 300 damage, Agilao can easily deal around 700 damage!

Watatatatata!

:smug:

Luckily, the final lever it's impossible to miss.

I know I said I wouldn't upload screenshots of the treasures, but a Chakra Pot and Magical Mirror are too important to omit. Block B has some nice treasure overall, unfortunately...

Sorry, did I say last one? Nope, there is another lift inside. Have fun looking for the next lever!

:ohdear:

Can't believe this dungeon isn't over yet.

Finnegan? Hello?

I wanted to go to Material Storage in Block C... Looks like I took a wrong turn.

Well you can't reach Block C without entering B first, so...

Finally!

Out of my way!

I know, I know! But where is Finnegan?

:colbert:

At this point I was done with this place and just used all my Repulse Water.

Nothing here so...

The game doesn't give you a warning, but come on... It's the last room in the dungeon. Well, time to prepare...

Rakukaja, Diarama and Sukukaja, do I need to say more?

And this demon because... Umm... I have no idea why I fused this thing.

Our stats.

And our party. Notice how Moh Shuvuu and Reiko are still there.

"Finnegan Entrance"

You get your friend back when you defeat me, and not a moment sooner.

What the heck!? We came here alone, just let him go, already!

You want him back, your only choice is to defeat me. What's the point of releasing him if you die? I'd just capture him again once you're dead.

The Phantom Society has nothing to do with this. This match is for pride, pure and simple.

Hahahaha! Obviously, it's about YOUR pride, after you talked so big last time and totally failed to kill us.

Nemissa, ple-- No, actually... I agree with you this time. Keep at it!

You call it a match, but really, you're just here trying to avenge your shameful defeat, aren't you?

Say what you will. Everything will be settled soon enough.

Kid, I don't know who you are, but where I come from, men don't hide behind girls when they fight. So why don't we settle this old school, one Summoner against another?

Are you crazy? Why would I ditch my glass canon.

:pwn:

The first time I played the game, this dialogue triggered me like you have no idea.

Come and get it! :black101:

All right, that's what I was hoping you'd say. I respect your spirit.

...Now we're on even conditions. There's no excuses now.

I'm not going to thank you, dickhead...

...Fine then. I'll sit this one out, but you'd better not lose.

Summoner - Finnegan

HP: 1306
Lv. 36
Nulls: Expel, Death, Mind, Nerve, Curse

Skills:
Short Jab: Deals Strike damage to a single target. Can only target front row if the user is on back row.
Roundhouse Kick: Deals Strike damage to the front row starting from the right side. Units on the left side take reduced splash damage.
Electric Backfist: Strike damage to one enemy and splash damage to the rest. May inflict Shock.
Aim: Deals Gun damage to a single target.
Zoma Furnace: Deals severe Fire damage to Zoma demons. Finnegan only skill.

If you're thinking "Hey, where's the fight?" Hold on a second, I need to explain the way this fight works first. Get ready, because a rant is coming.

Finnegan will always be in the back row and his goal is simple, to finish off any weakened demon. Every single skill he has can be casted from the back row. During combat he has this unique feature called loving CHEATS. You see, Finnegan will always start the fight with an ambush, and during this ambush he will summon 5 demons at the same time, meanwhile you start with 4 thanks to Nemissa leaving the party. Okay, fair enough... I can just summon a demon on Turn 2. Summoning will take the MC's turn, but that's how the game works, r i g h t?

Well... Finnegan can summon for free and this action doesn't take his turn away! If you think I'm exaggerating, I want you to imagine this situation.

Let's say that after a rough first turn, you manage to kill his entire frontline with minor casualties. Your entire team is weakened, but he'll now have to spend a turn resummoning those demons while you heal.

Wrong! He can summon multiple demons for free at the end of each turn and when I said he summons the same demons as the MC, I mean every demon, including the ones on your stock. So if you have 12 demons, you'll have to deal with multiple reinforcements without a break. If a demon in your party dies, it's pretty much gone for the rest of the fight. Using a Revival Bead and summoning them back (with half HP, let me remind you...) will take at least two turns, and against his unrelenting attacks, this is simply not possible.

Even one of the most infamous and hardest Megami Tensei bosses, Digital Devil Saga Demi-fiend, needs to waste a turn summoning back the demons you killed. And he needs to do it one by one! I guess Finnegan is just built different.:rant:

Beast - Kaso

HP: 306
Lv. 37
Nulls: Expel, Death
Repels: Fire
Resists: Ailments, Phys
Weakness: Ice

Skills:
Diarama: Heals a high amount of HP
Fire Breath: Deals Fire damage to one front row enemy and splash damage to adjacent targets.
Recarm: Revives an ally with low HP.
Petradi: Cures petrification.

Kaso is really interesting. Not because of his skills or anything-- Well, to be fair they're pretty crazy... B-But I'm talking about why he's being summoned. Unlike the rest of his demons, Kaso will only appear if you have a Nemechi demon. But why Kaso? And what if you have several Nemechi demons? Let's answer those questions.

If you have nothing but a single Nemechi demon, Finnegan will only summon Kaso. The reason behind this, is their current level. Dormarth is a level 32 demon, Kaso is 37.

If you use one of the Devil Summoner variants, Finnegan will summon their Soul Hackers version.

If you use a Zoma...

...or go solo, he won't be able to summon anything. :cawg:

Well... I gotta let the cat out of the bad, this fight SUCKS. Don't get me wrong, if you play on Normal, it is quite challenging and will probably remain in your memory as an epic showdown between 2 summoners. On hard though... :smithicide: Also, despite being the "same" demons, every single one of them is faster and stronger than yours. Have fun!

"Event Battle 2" :siren:Vs. Finnegan (Without Nemissa):siren:

While I can't really give you "advice" for this fight, since it completely depends on your team and all that, I hope this was helpful. Actually... I lied, there is one piece of advice I can give you. :siren:avoid having any demons you won't use:siren: either by fusing or deleting them. If you're thinking "But how can a low level and/or weaker demon be considered a threat?"

Well, even if they're not "dangerous" they're still capable of being annoying via debuffs.

Here my Ikusa luckily survived, I was getting ready to use a Bead the next turn, and...

Thanks Moh Shuvuu...

I'll admit, my winning attempt was mostly luck based. But what if you don't want to go through all that bs, and use Nemissa instead? Don't worry, I'll show you.

Nah

Nemissa actually has different lines based on her build.

quote:

Ice Path

Volt Path

If you're wondering... Yes, I replayed the game all the way up here just to take those screenshots. :) Don't judge me.

Enough talk! I'll show you the fearsome might of my demons!

"Event Battle 2" :siren:Vs. Finnegan (With Nemissa):siren:

This fight is a lot easier, and more importantly, doesn't start with an ambush. Finnegan only has those 5 demons, and once dead, he won't be able to resummon them again.

Wilder - Hellhound x2(Finnegan Boss Fight)

HP: 264
Lv. 13
Nulls: Fire, Death
Resists: Expel

Skills:
Fire Breath: Deals Fire damage to one front row enemy and splash damage to adjacent targets.
Feral Bite: Deals Skill damage to one enemy. Can only target front row if the user is on back row.

Yep, you read that right. Lv. 13 enemy. If you have ice skills, or in my case an ice sword, they're easy to kill in a single attack. Their usefulness, however, depends on another enemy entirely...

Beast - Orthrus (Finnegan Boss Fight)

HP: 455
Lv. 31
Drains: Fire
Resists: Expel, Death

Skills:
Mite Breath: Attempts to inflict Bomb to an enemy in the front row.
Fire Wall: Blocks Ice attacks for the entire party. Can only activate once.
Tackle: Deals Strike damage to one enemy. Can only target front row if the user is on back row.

Assuming you do the fight with Nemissa, Orthrus will be your first taste of the Bomb status effect. When inflicted with Bomb, fire attacks will make the target explode, damaging adjacent allies. Luckily his AI is pretty stupid, but if you don't kill the Hellhounds in time, you'll eat a LOT of damage. If you're having trouble, Bomb can be prevented with equipment to null Nerve.

Brute - Berserker (Finnegan Boss Fight)

HP: 468
Lv. 33
Nulls: Slash
Repels: Ice, Electricity
Resists: Expel, Death

Skills:
Marking: Attemps to Mark a single target.
Crescent Slash: Deals Slash damage to all front row enemies. Hits 3 times if current Moon Cycle is 1/8, 2/8 or 3/8. Front Row only
Deathbound: Deals Slash damage to central enemy and splash damage to the rest. Front Row only.
Twister Kick: Deals Strike damage to one front enemy and splash damage to sides. Back Row only.

For someone called a Berserker, he sure has a lot of resistances... Anyway, this guy isn't that much of a threat, and the only way for him to deal big damage is by being in the front line and/or challenging Finnegan during a waxing moon phase. If your Nemissa has Maragi, she can easily kill him in a couple of turns, alongside Finnegan and the other demon right next to him. This guy also repels the other 2 types of damage Nemissa can have, Ice and Volt, Fire build OP?

Jaki - Rakshasa

HP: 386
Lv. 28
Nulls: Expel
Repels: Strike, Slash

Skills:
Rakunda: Decreases enemy defense. Stacks up to 4 times (10%-20%-30%-40%).
Sukunda: Decreases accuracy to all enemies.
Arm Chopper: Deals Slash damage to one enemy. Front Row only.

Say hi to the debuffer. If Rakshasa manages to land Rakunda/Sukunda, the fight can be a little harder. Luckily, he doesn't have immunity to Nemissa like the Berserker. Just go wild with magic.

quote:

When defeated by the MC and Nemissa Finnegan has this to say.

Overall this fight is a lot easier, even without Ice skills. But come on... Finnegan deserves to be humiliated after what he did. I'll obviously pick going solo, despite being way harder and a little bit BS

"Boss Event End"

Get hosed.

But listen, kid... Don't think this is my true power...

:mmmsmug:

Look, Tomato! It's Yu-Ichi!!

We were worried about you, Yu-Ichi. Are you okay? Did they do anything to you?

...Hitomi? Why... Why are you here?

Whaddya mean "why"!? You ran off on your own and got captured, so we came to save you!

You came... to save me?

H-Hey, are you sure you're all right? You seem a bit out of it.

He's gone through quite a bit today, of course he's a little shellshocked. We should go back. Everyone's worried.

Oh boy, here we go...

Tch, you run off on your own and then you end up like this! You're just slowing us all down! If you wanna die that badly, then find a way to do it without dragging the rest of us down with you!

Just like you finding places to stay and do jack poo poo, while the rest of us explores the place. Right, Six?

That's enough, Six. I'm sure he feels bad enough as it is. Let's just leave it at that.

Look, we're all safe, now. In the end that's all that counts, right?

Sure, it's easy for you two to just wave it off, but think, what if someone died trying to save him?

I'll tell you right now Six, that "someone" wouldn't be you. Not in a million years.

And for what? What does this punk even bring to the team!? What's the upside for having him jeopardize our lives, huh!?

What!? This just nothing to you? Maybe I need to beat some understanding into your skull!

That's enough, Six! Ease off of Yu-Ichi, he was just trying to help!

He's right. Now isn't the time to get angry at Yu-Ichi.

...Oh, I try to be the voice of reason and that makes me the bad guy? You guys just don't get it. Any time you're in a team setting, once one guy decides to go it alone he jeopardizes the entire team.

quote:

Oh, really? You don't say. :colbert:

Pfft... You aren't even listening. Screw this... If you wanna throw a pity party, do it yourselves. I'm not dying for him. I'm out.

Wait, Six!

What Six said wasn't wrong, though. We can't be taking crazy risks like that and not expect to pay for it. Yu-Ichi, we're good people, but the Phantom Society is made of people who don't bat an eyelash at the thought of killing others.

...Then, I'll quit.

Yu-Ichi, come on... Don't say things like that.

...That's what everyone wants, right?

...Huh, are you listening?

...I just want to go home. We're done here, right...?

Hmph... Well, we're done for right now, but we're not done with out mission... Leader, what should we do?

Yu-Ichi's had an intense day. I'm sure he's tired. He probably should leave and take a rest.

...Bye.

Man... Those two...

What kind of selfish person can't deal with criticism without getting all mopey? He needs to grow up.

Ah yes, "Kill yourself", my favourite type of criticism.

...Let's just return to HQ for now. We can talk about what to do once we're back...

Sorry if I went a little bit overboard there. I don't hate Six or anything, but I just can't keep quiet if he starts acting like a bully after Yu-Ichi was kidnapped, even if it was his fault. What do you think, dear reader? Was Six in the wrong?

"Hideout"

...Hm? Hey, Tomatoe, you got mail.

Maybe the Reticulian want to talk with me again?

"ID Deletion"

No way...

Finnegan, you bitch! :argh:

I don't know why it happened, but I know it isn't good. If you don't have an ID in this town, you're good as dead. Amami City uses IDs for everything. We're just bits to them...

Thanks for the explanation, Lunch... :shepicide:

This has gotta be Phantom's doing... That's the only logical explanation. So, they have control over Amami City itself...?

But why would they be after Tomato's ID?

Well, he's been fighting Phantom directly quite a bit recently. From their standpoint, he's a nuisance. It doesn't surprise me that they're trying to shut down the Summoner who's thwarting them. By freezing Tomatoe's movement, they're trying to hinder our operations... Or perhaps this is a warning...

What are we gonna do, Leader? Without Tomatoe, we're in a tight situation.

Let me think... In the meantime, Tomatoe and Hitomi, go bring Six back. We're dealing with some big shots. We need all the help we can get. I'll contact Yu-Ichi.

Six's house is in the building on the east side of Nikamimon. You should be able to tell which one it is.

Things are not looking good for us... If we want to be able to defeat Phantom, the Spookies needs to be at their strongest. In the next update, we won't visit Six just yet... Instead, we'll explore a beautiful but unnerving garden.

Also, umm... Sorry if this update took way longer than usual.:ohdear: Replaying the game twice for two screenshots was pretty stupid, but that's just the way I do things. I've also been feeling a bit blue lately. But this is no place to vent, please look forward to the next update!.:atlus:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I completely agree with you about Six. I'm sure it'll get justified as him being so worried about Yu-Ichi's life, but that's no justification, he's constantly a dick and here he went way past what was acceptable and treated him like absolute poo poo. It came across as him being more worried about a potential risk to his own life than Yu-Ichi's own.

Don't get me wrong, the kid needed to get chastised for his recklessness but Six did not handle that well, or in any acceptable way.

Frozenen
Nov 6, 2022
I'd forgotten how much of a dick Six was being there, all I recall about the plot of the game is that it was pretty sparse compared to the increasingly lenghty dungeons.

And of course I told Finnegan to suck it and fought with Nemissa, I won't let him bait me into handicapping myself with simple insults like that :P.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

In a truly strange move, an arrangement of Amami Float is available for use in the Donkey Kong 64 randomizer.

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs
Is there a difference in the reward if you fight Finnegan by yourself instead of with Nemissa?

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Blaze Dragon posted:

I completely agree with you about Six. I'm sure it'll get justified as him being so worried about Yu-Ichi's life, but that's no justification, he's constantly a dick and here he went way past what was acceptable and treated him like absolute poo poo. It came across as him being more worried about a potential risk to his own life than Yu-Ichi's own.

Don't get me wrong, the kid needed to get chastised for his recklessness but Six did not handle that well, or in any acceptable way.

I already finished recording the next 2 updates and I gotta say... Six does redeem himself. Well, kind of, you be the judge when the updates comes out.

Frozenen posted:

I'd forgotten how much of a dick Six was being there, all I recall about the plot of the game is that it was pretty sparse compared to the increasingly lenghty dungeons.

Soul Hackers endgame dungeons are quite lenghty, but most of them are small dungeons you can finish in like 1-2 hours.

quote:

And of course I told Finnegan to suck it and fought with Nemissa, I won't let him bait me into handicapping myself with simple insults like that :P.

But what about your pride as a Summoner!? :pwn:

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

AweStriker posted:

In a truly strange move, an arrangement of Amami Float is available for use in the Donkey Kong 64 randomizer.

God drat it... That could've been an awesome April Fools update.

Technomancer posted:

Is there a difference in the reward if you fight Finnegan by yourself instead of with Nemissa?

Why, yes. The satisfaction of defeating a powerful foe without relying on Nem--

No... Not really. :kiddo: Your rewards are actually worse when fighting solo.

Finnegan (Solo): 3292 EXP for the MC and I guess the potential item drops from your own demons.
Finnegan (Nemissa): 4889 EXP for the MC and 5166 for Nemissa.

I guess it depends on how much you dislike Finnegan. :shrug:

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Personally, I agree with almost everything Six said.

Six is actually a coward and thus, goes off and stays out of danger.
Yu-Ichi doesn't understand the stakes and goes off alone to get into danger.
They are not the same.

However... Keep an eye on Yu-Ichi's future behavior. And his voice. That doesn't quite sound like shellshock...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TomatoPawah posted:

But what about your pride as a Summoner!? :pwn:

My pride as a summoner demands that Nemissa kick Finnegan in the junk.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

For trying to call on toxic masculinity to trick Powah, Finnigan deserves to be crushed by Nemissa.

However, giving him the undue respect of a duel leads to more interesting gameplay, so...

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I'm taking Six's side here. From a realistic point of view, he's been constantly called a wuss for being the only sane person in the team. It'd be one thing if they started collecting the COMPs of fallen Phantom Society goons or something to defend themselves, but as they're now Leader, Lunch, Six and Yu-Ichi have no business running around dungeons infested with demons unless they're like right next to the MC or Hitomi/Nemissa. His fault is lashing out at a kid that just went through a traumatic experience but his stance is understandable.

Usually demons' designs are top-notch but Union Jack Leprechaun is the wrongest thing ever.

Oh, I didn't know he used your own demons when going 1 on 1, I assumed he used the same team as with Nemissa, that's really cool.

They really hate Ikusa, don't they?

TomatoPawah posted:

If you're wondering... Yes, I replayed the game all the way up here just to take those screenshots. :) Don't judge me.

Jesus Christ, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Petiso posted:

I'm taking Six's side here. From a realistic point of view, he's been constantly called a wuss for being the only sane person in the team. It'd be one thing if they started collecting the COMPs of fallen Phantom Society goons or something to defend themselves, but as they're now Leader, Lunch, Six and Yu-Ichi have no business running around dungeons infested with demons unless they're like right next to the MC or Hitomi/Nemissa. His fault is lashing out at a kid that just went through a traumatic experience but his stance is understandable.

After taking a deep breath and reading the conversation again, I can kind of understand Six's point of view. Sure, I called him a coward since I'm the one with the COMP and Nemissa, but if I was in his place I would probably do the same.

quote:

Usually demons' designs are top-notch but Union Jack Leprechaun is the wrongest thing ever.

"The fairy shoemaker of Ireland, apparently an old man who takes pride in his craft of fixing other fairies’ worn out shoe soles. He seems to be illustrated as a person sitting inside a shoe quite a lot, but this time I chose a London boot. I personally think the Union Jack is very leprechaunish, but I’m sure others will go “Just how?” (laughs). Well, colour-wise, it’s colourful and beautiful."

- Kazuma Kaneko, Soul Hackers no Subete guidebook

I love Kaneko but sometimes I have no idea what he's talking about. :confused:

quote:

They really hate Ikusa, don't they?

The enemy AI seems focused on killing a single demon each turn, no matter what. Fun...

quote:

Jesus Christ, man.