Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Hyahahaha! Failure as a human! Failure as a human!

"You are not alone."

What's the game about?

Originally released in 1997 for the Sega Saturn and getting a PS1 port two years later in 1999; Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers is a first-person dungeon crawler JRPG developed and published by Atlus. The game is part of a spin-off series called Devil Summoner; which is also part of the Megami Tensei franchise. The story takes place in Amami City, a coastal country town suddenly turned into a cyber-metropolis thanks to the company Algon Soft. The game plays like most Megami Tensei titles; having turn-based combat and gaining the ability to negotiate with demons to make them your allies. In 2012 the game got ported, updated and properly localized to the Nintendo 3DS handheld; this version includes new demons, voice acting, a streetpass feature that allows you to buy Devil Summoner demons using play coins, among other things. That's the version that I'll be playing, luckily this game never got a sequel :).

Where is Ringo?

Taking the L.

Aren't you also writing an EO1HD LP? Is it canceled?

Yes, I am and no, it's not. Soul Hackers is relatively short game and I need to take a break from playing, reading and writing about EO. I'll be uploading the gathering spots, monster compendium and all that stuff from time to time.

Spoiler Policy

Don't.

About the LP

This will be a Screenshot Let's Play with the occasional gifs and linked videos. Characters in this game already have a personality so I won't be adding any dialogue unlike my EO1 LP, as for the MC... I'll probably write some lines of my own, NPCs tend to have a lot of dialogues and I need to separate them somehow. Finally, my own commentary outside of the gameplay will be written in italics, like this.
Music will have this little ghost and I highly recommend listening to it at least once.

Miscellaneous info

You can read my ongoing Etrian Odyssey HD LP here.
In case you're curious, here's the "Devil Summoner" LP made by PeaceDiner. While Soul Hackers isn't exactly a sequel, several characters from Devil Summoner will show up.
Want to check on Nemechi to know which demons to unlock? Check the Nemechi List. Information here will be updated as I make progress through the game

Updates

Update 1: Amami City
Update 2: Paradigm X
Update 3: Vision Quest 1: Alma Capture
Update 4: Algon NS
Mini-update: Shibahama Core
Update 5: Cold Storage Warehouse
Update 6: Astro Museum
Update 7: Vision Quest 2: He Who Haunts
Update 8: Amami Bypass
Update 9: Amami Airport
Update 10: VR Art Museum Part 1
Update 10: VR Art Museum Part 2
Update 11: Leon Automotive
Update 12: Amami Float

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Reserved.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Base Nemechi
Unlocks:
Fairy - Pixie (Devil Summoner version)
Jirae - Knocker (Devil Summoner version)
UMA - Oliver Zero

Fairy - Pixie (Devil Summoner version)

Lv. 3
D-Souls Cost: 100
Alignment: NEUTRAL - NEUTRAL
Personality: Kind
Nulls: Expel
Drains: Electricity

Magic:
Zio: Deals Electric damage to a single target.
Dia: Restores a low amount of HP.
Mazio: Deals Electric damage to an entire row.
Recarm: Revives an ally with low HP.

Jirae - Knocker (Devil Summoner version)

Lv. 4
Personality: Sly
Drains: Ice
Weakness: Fire

Magic
Bufu: Deals Ice damage to a single target

Extra
Valiant Dance: Attempts to inflict Confusion to the enemy front row.
Hypnosis: Attempts to inflict Sleep to an entire row.
Lost Word: Has a chance to: Inflict Undead to all allied demons, deal almighty damage to all enemies, flee from battle, caster receives almighty damage.

UMA - Oliver Zero

Lv. 6
Personality: Dumb
Reflects: Force
Nulls: Death

Magic
Recarmudra: Fully heals HP to the entire party. Kills the User.
Media: Restores HP to the entire party.

Extra
Infinite Taunt: Attempts to raise enemy ATK X2 and reduce its DEF x2
Meat Bullet: Deals Strike damage to a single target. User takes severe damage as well.
Last Resort: Deals heavy Strike damage to all enemies. Kills the user.

Snake Nemechi
Evolves from: Base Nemechi
Unlocks:
Jirae - Goblin
Raptor - Muh Shuvuu (Devil Summoner version)

Jirae - Goblin

Lv. 10
Resists: Fire, Ice, Electricity
Weakness: Expel

Magic
Tarukaja: Increases Physical Attack. Stacks up to 4 times. (50%/150%/250%/350%)
Sukukaja: Increases Accuracy. Stacks up to 4 times.
Makakaja: Increases Magical Attack. Stacks up to 4 times.(50%/150%/250%/350%)
Dekunda: Removes debuffs from the entire party.

Raptor - Muh Shuvuu (Devil Summoner version)

Lv. 16
Alignment: DARK - LAW
Drains: Electricity
Nulls: Expel
Weakness: Gun

Magic
Dia: Restores a low amount of HP.

Extra
Loyal Electricity: Deals Electric damage to all enemies. Damage scales with Loyalty.

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 12, 2024

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 1: Amami City

Atlus, an infinite source of joy and sometimes disappointment.

:siren: "Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers Intro" :siren:

This is the new intro for the 3DS version, I'm surprised by the amount of foreshadowing it has.

Cool title screen, the chip in the back is more important than you think. But... What if we skip the intro and don't touch anything for a few seconds?

:siren: "Soul Hackers OG intro" :siren:

Doing that will trigger the original Sega Saturn/PS1 intro. Give it a listen, I personally prefer the new one.

"Music: Prologue 1"

While its public opening is coming soon, creator Algon Soft is reportedly being flooded with beta applications. The number of users is so great that the company is unable to shut down the site for new user registrations.

You're a member of the great hacker group, the Spookies. You ought to be able to pull this off, at least.

Our protagonist still doesn't have his iconic GUMP, I'll be using this sprite in the meantime. Hee ho~

See? It's deserted around this terminal. It's the perfect place to do a little remote hacking, don't you think?

Everytime we get one of these dialogue choices, I'll be answering to them in bold text.

We're really doing this?

We can't rely on luck to get us into the Paradigm X Beta. I doubt we'd win that lottery... Come on, please?

I'll give it a shot.

Haha, thanks. Leader's already found where the list of winners is kept on their server, so just overwrite one of the names there.

:siren: "Hacking into Paradigm X winners list" :siren:

I highly recommend watching the video, the sequence is really impressive. If not, this gif will do.

I'm in.

So, this is the list of lucky winners who are getting into the beta...

"Music: Prologue 2"

The protagonist has different names and handles based on a few comics, a novel and a manga. I personally prefer Kenichi Senno with the handle being Sanagi but since the game never refers to him by any of those names I'll just use my own.

Huh? Did it work? Once you're on the list, the license should be sent to your home email... Wait, hold on. There's still something on the screen...

"Music: Redman"

Huh? Who's this? This guys knows you? What's going on?

My name is Kinap. You are in danger. Leave now. The authorities are on their way.

"Kinap..."?

It must be a prank.

I cannot speak much now, but remember this: I will appear before you again...

"Music: Suspicious Occasion"

Who was that...? He knew your name. That's weird, huh?

*Phone ringing*

Ah! Oh... Geez... That's just your phone.

Hi, brother! It's me, Tomoko! I have big news!

Some useless trivia, the phone had a different design on the Sega Saturn. The screenshot was taken from this video.

It's...... Heehee, it's big! Hurry up and come home! Hurry!

Oh, was that Tomoko? It was, wasn't it?

No, it wasn't.

Nice try. I heard her voice from here. She sure sounded happy though. Well... I wonder if you hack's taken effect yet. Let's get back to your house.

"Music: Home"

Hm? Ah, Tomato. You're home.

I just realized that my name is Tomato and my sister is Tomoko, what a family.

Tomoko was looking for you earlier... Oh, speak of the devil.

Hey, brother!

PFT...! TOMOKO PAWAH HAHAHA, I completely forgot this game gives Tomoko your last name.

Oh, Hitomi's here, too! Hello!

It's been a while, Tomoko. You look happy. Did you get good news?

Yeah! Was it obvious? Big, big news! Tah-dah! One of us is lucky enough to get into the Paradigm X beta test! Congrats, Tomato!

Is that so? Nice, Tomato! I didn't think you'd win that drawing, hahaha.

Gee, thanks dad.

Oh, dear, you're such a child. You have to raise the kids better.

Tomoko, you need to study to get into a good school. You don't have time to be playing on the computer.

Ugh... I forgot she has this "Tomoko you need to study" sub-plot. It's probably just a cultural difference but... You'll see.

I'm sorry, Hitomi. You shouldn't have to see this. Is your father still away on that research trip of his?

Yes. This time, he's investigating the pyramids.

It must be hard for you to be all by yourself at your age. You're always welcome to have dinner with us.

Hey, Tomato! I want to see Paradigm X!

Have you finished your homework, Tomoko?

Awwww... I'm almost done...

Haha... Don't worry, Tomoko. Come to Tomato's room when you're finished. We'll play on Paradigm X together.

I know we shouldn't have done that, but... I'm glad it worked. Huh? Oh, hey, you've got some mail.

This came from Leader, right? He must have used the Spookies cypher, then. Go ahead and run it through the decoding tool.

We moved our HQ? I didn't hear anything about that... Did something happen? Anyway, we should get to the South Parking Garage in Shibahama. Paradigm X is just going to have to wait. Too bad.

"Music: 2D Field"

Do yourself a favour and listen to 2D Field, it's of the best overworld themes ever made. Toshiko Tasaki is so loving talented... Anyway, see those green orbs floating around? They're NPCs, let's talk to them.

When you press the L button or R button, you can see the building names. You can't go inside the buildings that have names in grey. You can only go into the ones that have names in white. Do you want to try, too?

NPCs giving useful advice? Wow... If you ever get lost try pressing L or R to check on the destinations you have available.

A friend of mine told me that they hooked me up with access. I asked them, and they said it was sent... Do you think I got hacked?

. . .

Uh-oh...

Aw, man, I hope not. My girlfriend dumped me because we couldn't hang out in Paradigm X. If only I had some way of getting in...

I have come to observe this city. I want to be able to tell the story of this city to people all over the world.

Cool guy.

But now that I see the city, it's so much better. Everything's a definite improvement over the way it used to be.

That's all for now, off to Shibahama.

There's the garage but... let's have a look around first.

Soul Hackers is so good, it created Saul Goodman.

I told him I didn't understand, but he just kept talking. So, I paid more attention, and all of a sudden, it hit me... He just had this really thick Russian accent, and it threw me off.

I tried entering, but I didn't stand a chance... It wasn't just me, either. I don't know a single person who got selected. I wonder if they actually let anyone in.

Now that you mention the Goumaden, I hear the restaurant there is very good. Let's eat there tonight.

That's fine for tonight, but I want to go on vacation somewhere! You never take me anywhere!

I love these two, their interactions are so funny.

I'm looking to earn some money, so I've been job hunting these days. If you know a good place that's hiring, let me know.

Ugh... that hits too close to home.

Shibahama core is your usual nexus where you buy weapons, equipment, medicine, etc. Let's go inside.

"Music: Video Muscle"

He's not wrong... By the way, this guy is voiced by Matthew Mercer, every time I recognize him I laugh my rear end off for some reason.

Huh? You've got a girl with you? Sorry, I can't let you in. We specialize in the horror genre here. You know, the REALLY gory stuff.

. . .

I'd rather not have girls watching that stuff. Sorry, but it's store policy. I'm gonna have to ask you to leave.

Huh, okay then. How about Artists Allez?

"Music: Picture Gallery Radder"

If you are not a member, then I'm afraid I must ask you to leave.

Uh...

"Music: Automata"

I don't know about you, dear reader, but dolls creep me out...

My babies aren't ready to be seen in public at the moment.

"Music: Drug Gear"

My mother tells me that I'm not yet ready for this, but... Well, I'm looking forward to doing business with you.

I got chills when he said "My mother's very proud"

"Music: Hakkaku Liquor Store"

Oh hey, that's the theme from the Silverman residence in Persona 2

Unfortunately, we're not open for business today. I'm just not in the mood for it right now. So I won't be selling you any sake today. Tell your dad that you tried your best.

"Music: Thai Eatery Sawamura"

All the food I make is delicious, and very good for you! Today's special is Tom Yum Goong. If you eat a lot, you'll get strong and you can do anything!

"Music: Somatic Energy Institute"

Unfortunately, we are not open to new members at this time. If you were able to get a referral from a current member, you could join as a special member...

Huh, I must be missing something. Enough chit-chat, let's meet Spooky.

"Music: Hideout"

Where is everybody? Are we too early?

:siren: "Spooky Arrives" :siren:

Oh, you guys beat me here. Sorry for calling you here so suddenly.

I'm sorry, what? I guess he became a hacker after retiring.

So, what happened? You moved the HQ without any warning.

It's nothing, really. I've just got something on my mind. Come on, let's talk inside.

This guy even knew Tomato's name. That's what bothers me...

Maybe you're just being paranoid. You got your name on the beta list without any problems, after all. Amami City's a fully network-integrated city. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a hacker that skilled out there. Still, I wouldn't think that you'd be all that worried about something like that...

Now, before you pick the sexy option let me explain something. This question will decide Hitomi's build, well not Hitomi exactly but... Anyway, here are the skills.

In case you're not familiar with Megaten. Agi is Fire, Bufu is Ice and Zio is Volt. Calling Hitomi upbeat will give her a Fire/Light build, calling her Calm will create an Ice/Dark build, and calling her sexy will give make her a Volt/Almighty user. All three of them have support skills included so pick whichever you want.

quote:

She's a calm one.

You're right... Maybe I'm too worried about what happened. But, you said you had something on your mind? What is it?

quote:

Sexy defines her.

H-Hey! What are you saying!?

Ha ha! Well, either way, I don't think there's any cause for concern.

Most people prefer this one due to the dialogue and because of Megidola, a powerful skill that ignores enemy affinities. I'm not the biggest fan of almighty skills in Megaten and the Ice/Dark path kind of sucks so... Upbeat it is!

She's more upbeat.

You're right... I guess I wasn't acting like myself, huh. But you said you had something on your mind? What is it?

Hmm... Well, I guess I'll show you two first. You see, I picked up something interesting lately.

What is this...? Is that... a gun?

Looks like one, doesn't it? But when you unlatch this part...

Wait, so this is a PC?

I'm calling it a "gun-type PC" for now, but that's really all I know about it.

Ah... the COMP, they have different forms through the series but their function is always the same.

But, what does this have to do with moving our HQ?

Ever since I obtained this, I've noticed some suspicious people following me around. This PC is the only reason I can think of that would explain that. It's more just to soothe my nerves, though.

But is thing really all that special...?

I don't know. I plan on doing some research. I'm glad you two showed up so early. I'm going back to the junk store I bought this thing from. Watch over the trailer while I'm gone, okay? If we can learn what this gun-type PC really is, we might be able to figure out who those suspicious guys are, too.

Just call it a GUMP, it's not that hard :colbert:

I'll leave the gun PC with you. I don't want to risk getting back on those guys' radar. I'll see you later.

Huh? Hold on, Leader... Geez he called us just so we could babysit the trailer for him? Still, I doubt anyone else will show up soon...

Leave.

Well, we can't do anything right now. We might as well wait for the others to get here.

Gun-type PC

......... It's not working. It is broken? Well, we don't have anything else to do.

Oh I know! Let's check out Paradigm X. You just got the license, so let's see what the big deal is. That'll pass the time until Lunch and the others get here. Come on, let's do it!

Paradigm X

Ha ha, I'm kind of excited!

And that's it for this update. We'll explore Paradigm X in the next one! :atlus:

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 2, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I own this game. I have tried to play it repeatedly but the past two times I have gotten bogged down in trying to make my own fusion calculator.

Can't wait to see what you do with it. :allears:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I like that if you look *really* closely when you are replacing the name of the applicant, the name you are replacing is Kazuma Kaneko's. :v:

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Quackles posted:

I own this game. I have tried to play it repeatedly but the past two times I have gotten bogged down in trying to make my own fusion calculator.

Can't wait to see what you do with it. :allears:

I love this game to death but one of endgame dungeons takes a long rear end time to finish. Unless you're using the App to save anywhere; you don't have a single terminal nearby. To make matters worse, there's a demon who can inflict petrification, if that lands on your MC well... I hope you don't mind losing some progress. :suicide:

Koorisch posted:

I like that if you look *really* closely when you are replacing the name of the applicant, the name you are replacing is Kazuma Kaneko's. :v:

Huh I never noticed that!

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Uploaded by accident. :bang:

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 2: Paradigm X

"Music: User Counter"

First-time users will receive an explanation of Amami City's network. Please listen carefully.

This explanation is a bit long. Bear with me here, okay?

This guy has a sick artwork made by Kazuma Kaneko. Why Captain Paradigm? Who knows.

Let me tell you about the network that connects the beloved citizens of Amami City to Paradigm X.

Thanks to this network, you can enter Paradigm X freely from your home PC and meet with your friends online. With no lag and a nigh-zero percent rate of packet loss, the intranet of Amami City makes Paradigm X truly another world!

Does that mean I can't use "I'm lagging bro" as an excuse anymore? drat.

Anything you want can be found on Paradigm X's virtual streets: a movie theater, pet shops... anything! Through your PCs you can access these "cyber-shops" and use them at any time. The city of future never closes! This is truly the life of the future, brought to Amami City by Algon Soft! But, enough from me. It's time for you to experience it for yourself! Now, have a goooooooood time! Hahaha!

It felt like one of those job interviews where they have a whole presentation with a colorful character telling you about the company policies.

You may be surprised by the intense quality of the virtual city. When you want to end your time in Paradigm X, please return here. And... Have fun!

"Music: Paradigm X"

...Wow!

So this is Paradigm X! It's wonderful! Hey Tomato, where should we go first?

I mean... The game was originally released in 1997, I guess it looked impressive back then.

Well, she said I could return here if I wanted to exit Paradigm X.

I'm out of here.

Hey, Tomato! We haven't seen everything yet! Why are you quitting?

Oh God... that line of dialogue made me remember Hitomi is voiced by Cassandra Lee Morris. I hope you like being bossed around by Morgana again.

Wasn't Paradigm X supposed to be the "City of Tomorrow"?

The retro appearance of the city of tomorrow may surprise you at first. We have purposefully created the illusion of nostalgia to help users remain in a state of relaxation.

Okay, let's fully explore Paradigm X! And I do mean fully. :unsmigghh:

...Crap, is it already this late? I forgot Leader summoned us. If I'm late, Lunch is gonna yell at me.

Huh, another member of Spookies managed to get access to the Paradigm X beta.

"Music: Boutique"

Tell me about this place.

Everyone has the desire to transform himself... Here at this store, we present you with all the clothing you'd like to try out. If you find anything you like, please let me know and we'll deliver the real article to you.

It gives the whole place a nostalgic feeling. I'm really relaxed looking around this place. This is very useful information. I'm glad I came to inspect the place.

Also, I heard there's an art museum and a park, and you can go on trips around the world from the "theater". But I'm looking forward to the Haunted Mansion the most. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Well, let's check on the forums. Starting with...

Beach forum...?!

"Music: Forum"

This forum's supposed to feel like you're at a beach resort.

Nothing beats the real thing, but this place isn't half-bad.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. So this is the Beach Forum. If it was an ugly place, I wouldn't come back, but I think I can live with this.

You can access the rest of the forums from here.

What about him?

If you don't know what to do, you should go and ask him.

"Music: Paradigm Bank"

Oh no...

Where do I left my money?

You are the new Paradigm X beta tester, Mister Pawah, correct? I'm sorry, but you are currently unable to use of our facilities while we verify your ID.

Tell me how this place works.

Customers can leave their e-money with us at Paradigm Bank. The e-money you leave with us will gradually grow in value according to our set interest rates. You can deposit or withdraw your e-money any time you like.

This sounds like a scam, I'm out of here.

Is that even SFW?

It's a VR relationship compatibility program. It told me that I was most compatible with some fancy old guy in a red cape. That's totally my type! I wonder if there's anybody like that actually in this city...?

When I'm here, men start talking to me just because I'm using a female avatar. Is it like that in the outside world, too? That's disturbing, isn't it?

It's pretty much the same nowadays...

Greetings, Netizen! Have you gotten used to navigating Paradigm X? If you can't move smoothly, try using the B Button and the L and R buttons. But remember, you can't go through a door sideways or backwards! Farewell!

Mfw when a 1997 game had strafing and the DS version of Etrian Odyssey doesn't...

Man, I didn't think I'd win a beta license. I'm so lucky!

Hm?

"Music: Virtual Club"

I-Is this what love feels like...? :ohdear:

This is your first time here, isn't it? Let me tell you about the Virtual Club, then! There are a variety of virtual reality attractions for you to enjoy here. Just pick the attraction you would like to try, then enjoy! So, what attractions do we have? First, there's the VR Art Museum. Not only can you enjoy the wonders of the paintings, but you can go inside!

Next is our horror attraction, the VR Haunted Mansion! Can you escape the clutches of evil? Hee-ho!

Oh my God. She even says hee-ho! :ohdear:

We also have VR Tours, where you can travel the virtual world, and a VR Park where you can enjoy a stroll in a maze. There's also Dungeon Q, a giant quiz game, and Love Club, a compatibility test to find your perfect mate. Why don't you give them a try?

There are a variety of virtual reality attractions for you to enjoy here. Just pick the attraction you would like to try, then enjoy! Select "Start" from the menu, then select from the two groups. From there, you'll see the individual attractions. Pick one, and off you go! Couldn't be easier, hee-ho!

I'm interested in the VR tours.

This attraction lets you enjoy tours of various famed sightseeing spots from around the world, ho. But, unfortunately, it's not available yet. It will open with the public launch of Paradigm X. Sorry. VR Tours is brought to you by a partnership with Leon Automotive, ho!

Foreshadowing is a narrative device--

What about the Haunted Mansion?

The VR Haunted Mansion will be opening soon, hee-ho! It won't be much longer.

Okay, then take me to the Art Gallery.

Enjoy your stay at the VR Art Museum!

"Music: VR Art Museum"

Brr... The music gives the place an unnerving aura. We will get access to the rest of the attractions as the game goes on.

Here you can enjoy paintings in a relaxing environment that only virtual reality can provide. Soon, we will be implementing a feature that will allow our guests to enter into the paintings themselves. Enjoy your stay...

:magemage:

I think there are fairies in that painting. Beautiful, winged little girls.

"Beautiful, winged little girls?" Sorry, doesn't ring a bell. :allears:

Don't you think so too? I can't wait to go inside. I bet it'll be so magical.

Behind her we have Ghost Waterfall, one of the paintings you can enter. It's not possible yet, unfortunately.

This guy probably thinks AI generated art is the future. :dumbbravo:

Well...

There's nothing else to do here, let's go upstairs.

Staring at it, it does feel like I'm being pulled in... I want to try it out, but I'm also scared that I won't be able to come back out.

Sector Horologium?

Another painting we'll be able to access after a while.

A juggler is someone who keeps objects in a state of constant motion by tossing and catching them in the air. The painting really captures his cheerful, yet mischievous aura.

Hello.

No.

It's great here. This is my favorite spot. I feel at peace when I'm here.

Yes, I am.

Then you probably understand. I need to take an entrance exam next year, and my mom's always on my case about studying. I'm sick of it.

Sounds familiar indeed...

So I pretend to study and come here instead.

And... we have reached the end of the VR Art Museum. The Hee-ho gal mentioned a Casino, so...

"Music: Casino"

Oh God, there's two of them. Also look at that golden King Frost in the back.:swoon:

It's your first time here, isn't it? Let me just explain all the things you can do here, then! You trade in money for coins, and you can use coins to play all kinds of exciting casino games. Which casino games, you ask...? First, there's VS. Poker. You play 5-card draw poker against opponents. Believe in the heart of the cards! Hee-ho! We also have Video Poker, which you can play on your own. Play your cards right, and you get to talk about all the coins you won! Next up are the slots. You spin the reels and try to land a jackpot, Hee-ho! We have two types of slot machines, Jack Slot and King Slot. Then there's the dice game. Use the power of frost magic to help you guess what the next roll's going to be, Hee-ho!

I... Uh... That was a lot of info for a newcomer. :stare:

So let's get started! is what I would normally say, but... Did you just get your license recently hee-ho? You aren't registered as a user yet. The system should recognize you as a registered user soon, so just hang tight and come back then!

I'll be honest with you, I never bothered using the Casino. I know it has some ultimate equipment but... Look, If I ever return here to gamble, I'll write a mini-update.

Enjoy your stay at the VR Park. Oh, I almost forgot. Only a portion of the VR Park is currently available. The rest will be open soon.

"Music: VR Park"

I love that song... At least this place isn't as creepy as the VR Art Museum.

Ah, yes, we're currently growing a Symbolic Tree in the center of the VR park...

No

I see. Well, let me tell you about it. Our Symbolic Tree, the Omphalos, is growing in the middle of the VR Park. Omphalos "grows" by gathering all the "wishes" of the people who visit the park. So you see, we're encouraging users to visit Omphalos and make wishes. What would you wish for?

I don't think that's a good idea...

It's going to be a while until we can properly explore the VR Park.

Same...

I wish I could just... stay here... everyday... and not go... to work... and...

Are you okay?

.... so tired...

Once all the areas are open, I'm sure I could spend the whole day dozing off in here.

Why is everyone so eepy?

Whenever my husband and I go on vacation, it's always so crowded and expensive. Spending time here is so much better.

What if I get lost?

Use Mapper.

Hey, you, can I just ramble at you for a while? I just have a sudden urge to get some things off my chest.

Imagine saying no.

Thank you, young man. You see, to tell you the truth, I really didn't want to move to this city. Personal reasons forced me to close my family business, and I didn't have a choice. I'm an office custodian now. My son refused to carry on my business, so I had a feeling it would come to this sooner or later. I dream that one day my son will rethink his ways and come back to take over the store, and we'll all be a family again.

Reading that made me tear up a bit while I was recording the footage.

Thank you for listening to my story. If only my son was more like you. Well, he's not going to change.

"Music: Dungeon Q"

There are five questions total! Miss a single one, and you're out! Now, good luck...

The what now...? Uhm... No?

OH COME ON!

Too bad! I hope you try your mind again!

:argh:

Okay I'll just... skip ahead a bit.

:peanut:

This should be interesting...

"Music: Love Club"

That music really sets the mood, huh. There are two paths in this minigame, let's go over the male path first.

What the gently caress is that opening question? :thunk:

"Music: Love Club Results"

You're the studious type, always seeking to improve yourself. When you get tired, she will certainly be someone you can lean on! But remember you need to learn how to take breaks! Please try the Love Club again. Goodbye!

Heh, good to see my mindset hasn't changed since the first time I played this game. Let's go over the female path now. Hm, why? Well... The developers cared enough to put all this inside Paradigm X and as a player I feel compelled to show it!

Bruh.

"Music: Love Club Results"

What the...? Huh, this is new.

You want to be a little over your head in love. Maybe you long for a love as hot as a fire. He's capricious and sometimes even completely changes the way he looks, which keeps a relationship fresh. He has many secrets, but you shouldn't worry about it. Trying to find out too much about him may turn him away. Please try the Love Club again. Goodbye!

"Music: Forum 1"

Just as there are rules in public bathhouses, there are rules to the internet. These conventions that help facilitate polite communication with each other are known as "netiquette."

Whenever I play Paradigm X on the PC, my parents keep telling me I should be studying... But that's not very convincing, coming from people who can't use a computer! It's the Digital Age now, suckas!

Ooh, so this is one of these traditional Japanese baths! But why would they have one here? Aha! It must be a traditional place of communication and relaxation! That's interesting. There's nothing like this back in my country.

Yoooooo! Nippon Ichi!

I wish I was a bird, able to fly around wherever I wanted to...

Same...

...Oh. There's a dandelion here. Haha, how cute.

Nobody can tell who I really am in here, so I'm going to speak my mind.

Having to act friendly to everyone in the real world is a pain in the rear end!

To be honest... Yeah, a little.

I might have a young avatar, but I'm actually pretty old. Of course half the draw of Paradigm X is being able to become someone new. I like this experience.

Remembering the old times can be a hell of a drug.

People here don't look like what they really look in real life. So, I made myself look different, too.

"Music: Fortune Teller"

Your lucky color is silver. For extra lucky today, be kind to animals. If you are lost, come visit this old man. I shall tell you your fortune.

If being kind to animals gives me luck, I must be the luckiest person ever. By the way, this fortune teller will give you tips about your next destination. Feel free to stop by in case you stop playing for a while and have no idea what to do.

Can I get a virtual pet?!

"Music: Kingdom House"

This is a digital pet shop, and I sell digital pets. You see all these little guys here? They're called Mechi. Aren't they adorable?

I mean...

Unfortunately, all of these are reserved for other customers. Every single one! So, I don't have any I can sell you right now. Sorry.

This guy actually gives you some quests where you need to get a specific demon, but I'll leave it for later.

Phew, took a while to actually get here. If you read everything before this point, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

"Music: Airvision"

Vice-Minister Nishi, head of the Amami City "model city" project, was there and spoke about what more is to come.

Aren't you a Fire Emblem villain?

Being able to celebrate Paradigm X's completion with all of you is a momentous honor and a pleasure. It has been five years since our project began... and now, Amami City has grown to become the envy of the entire world. What that means to you is that the people of this city are the most technologically advanced in the world. Think of the Citizen IDs registered to you as proof of this. We, and Algon Soft, promise you all a life of light and convenience.

After Mr. Nishi's speech, Mr. Kadokura, director of Algon Soft, the developers of Paradigm X, spoke. The following was taken from his comments on the completion of Paradigm X.

Some of our beta testers may be viewing this broadcast in Paradigm X itself.

Is that it? Your buddy Validar had a lot more to say!

The people of Amami City definitely have a future to look forward to.

Well, that was interesting. We have nothing else to do in Paradigm X at the moment, let's go back.

"Music: Suspicious Occasion"

"Music: Redman"

If I hadn't been here, that light would have stolen your soul, too.

:stare:

But you aren't the only one. All humans have forgotten their souls.

...?

Do you wonder who I am? This is not the first time our paths have crossed, Pawah.

However, this time I have come to warn you of this city's coming catastrophe... It seems I must hurry. There is someone thirsting for human souls, and that light was its doing... At this rate, the souls of all who live in this city shall become his.

It turns out Kinap isn't just his name. A Kinap is a native American legend in Algonquian folklore. Huh, so that's it's called Algon Soft. :psyduck: If anyone knows more about the topic let me know!

While I can see that the day is coming, and I am powerless to stop it. I need your help. But, right now you cannot understand me or the light that is stealing souls. Therefore, I invite you on a Vision Quest.

The Paradigm X theater?

Vision Quests are how souls communicate. Your own soul will touch with souls that have completed their lives on this world. You will learn the truth you need to know during this time. At this point, you will be meeting the soul of a man named Urabe. You will become Urabe, and relive part of his own life. However, the Vision Quest is a perilous journey. Death within the vision means death for you, Tomato Pawah.

Now, go. Open your eyes to the memories laid out before you.

"Music: Urabe intro" :siren: "Urabe Intro" :siren:

"Music: Algon NS (Vision Quest)"

I LOVE that song, it's such a banger and we're still in the tutorial.

The data I'm looking for should be in the Computer Room on the fifth floor. I'm getting some spikes on the Enemy Sonar. Bes, Puts, Leanan Sidhe... I'm going to need your help.

quote:

Bes: A pygmy-sized Egyptian god. He is said to bring good luck. While a minor god compared to the other Egyptian gods, he was worshiped by many folk. He started off as a protector of the pharaoh, but eventually became the protector of all households, regardless of social status. He is also a god of fertility and helps mothers giving birth. He protects newborn children and is said to appear dancing around mothers ready to give birth.

Puts: A fairy said to live in the forests of Australia, telling timber cutters which tree to cut. He is white-haired and small, and often spotted on the top of fir trees. If you cut down the tree he is on, gold will come flowing out of it. If you do not listen to him, however, it is said you will lose your life. There is a tale of a timber-cutter who brought home gold coins, only to have them turned into hazelnuts, causing him to die of shock.

Leanan Sidhe: A beautiful faerie of Irish lore whose name means faerie mistress. She drains the life of her lovers in return for granting them artistic inspiration.

What are they thinking? Letting demons loose in the building... I've got a really bad feeling about this. I should hurry.

I hate having to do this but... This is the end of Update 2. Next up, Algon NS and proper gameplay!:atlus:

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 22, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It's just as I remember :allears:

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

All this talk about jumping into paintings just has me imagining a sterotypical salaryman backwards long-jumping into work. That's what the metaverse really needs, VR physics exploits.

Frozenen
Nov 6, 2022
I really like how Soul Hackers starts. It takes a while to get going, but this was the point that really grabbed me. I didn't bother exploring paradigm x that much though, it's a pain to navigate and I remember it being rather large.

But the shift from a very cyberpunk aesthetic with the digital city and focus on technology to a wolf god inviting you to a vision quest and the rest of the game mixing these things wildly kept me interested through the end. But I can absolutely understand people giving up, the game quickly gives you really large dungeons that are a pain to navigate. One of the later ones in particular is absolutely horrible, but more can be said on that once you get there.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Frozenen posted:

I really like how Soul Hackers starts. It takes a while to get going, but this was the point that really grabbed me. I didn't bother exploring paradigm x that much though, it's a pain to navigate and I remember it being rather large.

But the shift from a very cyberpunk aesthetic with the digital city and focus on technology to a wolf god inviting you to a vision quest and the rest of the game mixing these things wildly kept me interested through the end. But I can absolutely understand people giving up, the game quickly gives you really large dungeons that are a pain to navigate. One of the later ones in particular is absolutely horrible, but more can be said on that once you get there.

If we talk about lengthy Megaten intros I think Strange Journey takes the prize. Luckily, after the first Vision Quest the game has a very good pacing.

I never really bothered exploring Paradigm X all that much on previous playthroughs either, but I wanted to show as many dialogues as possible during the LP. Thanks for leaving a comment and I hope to see you when I arrive to that lengthy endgame dungeon. :)

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
If I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream taught me anything, you should always be wary of what yarns digital desert canines try to spin you on. (Okay that one was a Jackal but close enough)

I still need to go back and finish this game, I made it a ways into it but it's yet another RPG that got lost in the lurch that is my limited attention span.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I feel like this intro to the game is very atmospheric, sets the mood quite well.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 3: Vision Quest 1: Alma Capture

"Music: Algon NS (Vision Quest)"

Okay, time to do our first Vision Quest. On the upper left corner, we have the current moon phase. By each step you take, that number will go up and down until you eventually reach a Full Moon/New Moon. This affects various things but the most notorious change is the music. Using Algon NS as an example, during a Full Moon you can hear a female voice singing. Unfortunately, the video I linked is the normal version so you'll have to play the game to notice the rest. The upper right corner displays our Yen and Magnetite-- Wait, Magnetite? That's right, this game has two currencies and you can't buy everything using only one of them. If you're not familiar with Megaten and are wondering about the uses of Magnetite... Don't worry, I'll talk about it later.

On the left side of the screen we have the enemy radar which is currently green, meaning that the enemies have a lower level compared to the party. Keep in mind this isn't part of the normal UI, but an app in Urabe's COMP.

Finally, we have our map. Since this is the tutorial, the entire building is already mapped. Now, let's have a look at our demons.

Bes is a jack of all trades, having healing and recovery skill, Phys damage and Confusion. His stats are not too impressive but he has high HP and decent MP for a frontliner.

Magic
Diarama: Restores a high amount of HP.
Charmdi: Cures Charm.

Extra
Roundhouse: Deals Strike damage to the front row starting from the right side. Units on the left side take reduced splash damage.
Valiant Dance: Attempts to inflict Confusion to the enemy front row.

Bes skills are pretty average and the personality type doesn't matter since it's already at level 5.

Puts is more of a physical user

Magic
Markdi: Cures Mark.

Extra
Gun Beam: Marks the enemy.
Gun Phone: Deals Gun damage to a single target with splash damage. Has a chance to inflict Confusion.
Meat Bullet: Deals Strike damage to a single target. User takes severe damage as well.

God I hate Meat Bullet so much... Avoid it if you can, it deals a lot of damage but using it will leave your demon on 1HP. Gun Phone is nice I guess.

Leanan Sidhe stats lean more to Magic and Agility, making her a good mage and fast healer.

Magic
Mabufu: Deals Ice damage to an entire row.
Zan: Deals Force damage to a single target.
Posumudi: Cures poison.

Extra
Lullaby: Attempts to inflict Sleep to all enemies.

Unlike Bes and Puts, Leanan Sidhe is a bit more recognizable if you've played games like Persona 5 or Shin Megami Tensei V.

Oh wow, that was a quick random encounter. Yes, this game has random encounters... Don't worry, they're not that annoying.

"Music: Conversation"

A few Megami Tensei titles do this really cool thing where the battle theme won't start until you either press the Fight command or the battle properly starts.

quote:

Churel: A female Hindu ghost that bewitches young men and possesses them. A woman who dies in childbirth or during impure rituals becomes a Churel. She has no mouth and her legs are on backwards.

Unlike newer entries we have 6 slots for party members including your main character. Once you trigger a random encounter you can: Fight the enemy, talk to them, use your COMP, escape the battle and attack the enemy using your equipped weapons/repeating the same commands you used on the previous turn.

Another cool feature is the Loyalty meter, raising loyalty on Devil Summoner was kind of annoying and I wouldn't blame anyone for disliking it. On Soul Hackers there are 5 types of personalities and they mostly depend on your direct commands. Once you picked all your actions the battle will start.

"Urabe Battle"

Combat in Soul Hackers is fast paced and fun, random encounters shouldn't last more than a couple of turns. Urabe also has a unique battle theme and it's pretty drat good!

After the battle you get EXP and Magnetite. Something to keep in mind is that demons do NOT level up. Only humans can get EXP.

I don't have the skill to hack it... It looks like I can't get a ride directly to the Computer Room. If I remember correctly, there's an emergency stairway on the southeast side. I'll try that route.

I welcome you, Pawah.

Oh, Kinap is here too. Rooms with a T are terminal rooms, here you can save your game. Since we're on a Vision Quest, we're also allowed to heal our entire party for free.

Heal me, please.

Close your eyes.

Urabe's party recovered.

I pray for your luck.

Right outside the Terminal room we find our first treasure "chest." They come in different forms and are usually worth the effort. Now, you don't have to do what I'm about to do but...

I'll put a marker on each one. Did you know this game had markers? It's probably one of the most useless features I've ever seen. So, why did I put one? I Dunno, playing too much Etrian Odyssey changes people.

quote:

An abominable snowman of Canada. Its height is over five meters. It has a face that looks like a skull and its thick fur lets it easily thrive in the snow. It appears in villages and eats humans. Sacrifices are common to avoid being attacked. It is also said to be a type of spirit that dwells in mountains.

Reflects: Ice

We already saw what happened during a fight, let's try talking now.

ME WANT ASK SUMMONER...

I'd rather create.

GRRRRR... THAT LIE! IT NATURAL LIKE BREAKING!

Excuse me?

ME MAD. ME NO TALK WITH YOU.

If a demon gets angry at you, they will either attack or refuse to talk with you again.

quote:

Night Stalker: Demon worshipers who work in the shadows of society. They live a life of crime and sacrifice their victims to the demons they pledge their allegiance to. Many of their victims are children. By killing the ones God loves, they believe they are pleasing the demons who hate God.

He looks like a trustworthy fellow.

I found this on the ground earlier and didn't have any use for it, m'boy. So, you can have it.

What's this?

Do you know about that magne-whatsits stuff? It's actually very precious to us. I'll give you this 152 MAG. Use it wisely.

Sometimes demon negotiation can have happy endings.

It's impossible to get lost in the third floor.

You're just the person I'm looking for, though. I need to ask you something. Answer me and I won't harm you. You try some funny business, and I can't guarantee your safety. Understand?

Urgh... Okay, okay. I'll talk...

How do I get to the Computer Room on the fifth floor from the emergency stairway?

Ah, the Computer Room... From the emergency exit, there should be a door to the far left. It's past there...

Thanks, now let me help you. Get the hell outta the building now. If you see any demons, run.

D-Demons? Are you serious!? I wasn't even supposed to be here today! O-Okay. Run! Got it!

After you walk away, this happens.

Using demons to kill innocent people... Killing their own security guards... They haven't changed a bit. It's only been a year since I left this place... I was a fool for thinking that anything would be different.

4F is, once again, a straight line. Here I decided to talk to one of the demons again.

I'd heard that you left the Society, but it looks like you're still a summoner. By the way, what might you be doing in a place like this? I'm sure it has something to do with your work...
But if you want to live a long life, I suggest you don't get yourself involved in any shady business. I mean, you are already being targeted by your former employers... Well, if you do survive, we may meet again. Farewell.

Oddly kind for a demon.

Some of the demons here recognize Urabe, and a few of them will get a free turn if you try talking to them. Luckily, Urabe's demons can deal with it.

The Computer Room I'm looking for is on this floor.

We have some stairs but they just lead to a dead end, the roof.

Encounters here are pretty much the same but you get at least 2 of the same demon which can be a bit more dangerous if you're still learning.

Well, here goes nothing...

Nemissa... This is it... What kind of program is this? The file size is massive... It won't fit on my COMP...

Crap... If I delete the demons in my summoning program, that should give me enough space...

Why would you...?

Huh!? What was that!? Is this program... alive?

[???] I didn't think you'd have the spine to com waltzing back in here... Now, what's a traitor like you doing here?

...!? Who's there!?

"Finnegan's Entrance"

[???] You've eluded the Society's grasp up til now... And it all ends with such disappointment.

:suspense:

I don't know why you betrayed us, but it's a bad joke. You're nothing now.

Hmph, I see the Society's still using the powers of Summoners for evil.

Heh. You're in no position to talk. Has the tragedy that took your family finally scared you?

Y-You miserable cretin! Don't you dare talk about my family!

I... I can't die here! I must get this data to Kinap...

From here Urabe moves on his own, the only control you have is when advancing dialogues.

And I can't even summon anything... I need to get the hell outta here!

I know what'll pick you right up. Wanna play with my demons?

What the!? Tch. One of Finnegan's drat mutts... Feeling our oats today, are we?

(poo poo. I don't even stand a chance against a pissant like him right now... I have no choice but to run!?)

Aw what's wrong, Urabe? Hehe... If you wait around, Finnegan'll catch up to youuuu. Or would you prefer dying at my hands instead? Muahahahaha!

Dammit... I knew I shouldn't have deleted all my demons! This way's no good... Where else can I run...?

...But I won't die in vain. Luckily, they haven't realized I took the data...

You get to choose the password, pick whatever you want as long as you can remember it.

"Urabe's Death"

Tch, dammit!

...Just one last question before you have to leave. What were you doing in that room?

Heh. As if the actions of a worm could affect our organization in the slightest. Pathetic. When you meet your disappointed family in the afterlife, be sure to say hi for me. They'll know who I am.

Ice cold :stare:

Keep hell warm for me, Urabe!

*Gunshot*

How pathetic. I lost myself in my family's deaths...

I thought that my life was meaningless...

Yet now... I only want...

To live...

"Redman"

Do you call yourself Urabe, resenting the mistake you made which led to your family's death, yet still yearning to live? Or are you a soul ready to awaken again with newfound resolution born in your heart?

Life is just a string that drags lasting will along. That is how will transcends lives and endures through time.

Now, awaken. Call on the soul that is sealed before you. I am Kinap, he who talks with souls, he who guides souls.

The souls of fallen warriors will lead you to your next Vision Quest. Until then farewell.

And thanks to Urabe's soul we get our first level up, a straight jump to Lv. 7

An NPC gives an explanation about the stats later but... Here's a brief description of the stats.

ST Strength determines your physical damage. Does not affect gun damage.
IN Intelligence affects the accuracy of your magic attacks and also its power, but only slightly. It also increases your resistance against ailments and magic damage.
MA Magic is the opposite of Intelligence. This affects your magical attack power and a little bit of accuracy. Has no effect on consumable items.
EN Endurance affects your physical defense and raises your HP.
AG Agility affects your turn speed and evasion. It also gives you a minor boost in Sword accuracy. Does not affect gun accuracy.
LU Affects dodge and sword/gun accuracy. Very little is known about this stat other than the previously mentioned effects.

So, how to build your character? If you've played older Megami Tensei titles the answer tends to be ST, EN and AG. However... Soul Hackers MC is fairly weak and his best role is a dedicated support and item user. Demons can't use items and you're the only one with the COMP. My personal recommendation is this.

ST is good if you really want to use your sword. In my opinion the MC has better things to do other than damage.
IN can be good if you're having issues against magic damage or status ailments.
MA is completely worthless on the MC since he's unable to use magic. Something to keep in mind is that if you want to wear his best armor set you need at least 10 MA. You can only get this armor very late in the game so don't rush it. If you have some spare points and are interested in the set level up your MA up to 8. There's a male-only piece of armor that increases your MA by 2 and this allows you to wear the set.
EN is very important. Your MC works great as a frontline tank and if he dies its game over. Having more HP and durability can help to avoid losing progress.
AG is by far his best stat. Once you're in battle, using items and the COMP is key to survive and nothing better than being really fast to outspeed enemies and even bosses. It also affects your evasion, this paired with high EN and good armor can turn you into a dodgetank.
LU is... LU. Like I mentioned very little is known about this stat so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're actively using Guns with low accuracy.

If you want a Phys attacker go like this. Focus on ST and AG, and put a few points into EN from time to time.

I'll go with this.

"Hideout"

Huh?

You stopped moving all of a sudden, like you died or something. What happened? I kept calling you but you didn't respond. I was really worried.

Poor Hitomi...

I'm fine.

Really...? I hope that's true.

I know what I need to do.

You do remember the password, right?

If you somehow forgot the password you created 2 minutes ago, the game will give you a hand.

"Possession by Nemissa"

So you let me out... ummm... Tomato, was it?

Y-Yes?

Thanks! I really owe you one. It was so stuffy in there, being crammed in that tiny place for so long. It's a bit cramped here too, but it's way better now.

Nemissa is voiced by Laura Bailey, who also voices Lucina from Fire Emblem, Rise Kujikawa from Persona 4 and Chun-Li from Street Fighter.

You're not Hitomi?

Hitomi? Oh, you mean this body? From now on, it's Nemissa. I can't move around without a body. I'm glad there was a body just within reach.

But still, who locked Nemissa away in there? Whoever it is has some nerve. I gotta go find that jerk. When I find him, I'm gonna beat his face in.

Get out of Hitomi's body!

Huh? No way! Not when I'm finally free! Don't you get in--

U-Um, maybe if we use the gun-type PC again, we can seal her again.

Huh? Y-You're kidding, right!? Hey, stop it!

:getin:

Even if you saved my life, I won't let you do that to Nemissa!

Whoa, whoa, whatcha fighting over?

"Being a bit rash" is quite an understatement. Just like Hitomi, I have no idea what Six does to be considered a member of Spookies.

It's pretty rare to hear Hitomi raise her voice.

Now that's more like it.

Sorry I'm la--whoa, you dyed your hair, Hitomi!?

Shut up! Who asked you!

Isn't she loveable? :allears:

S-Sorry! It looks good on you, I didn't know you were so upset about it. Where are Leader and Yu-Ichi?

Probably just lagging behind as usual. I think I have a good way to kill some time. Hey, Tomatoe, you using the PC right now? I'm gonna shut it down for a sec.

:smith:

Let's see... It was here... All right, it should fit in the same slot... Just gotta pop this sucker out...
Okay... Got it... Now to just put this in... And that should boost the processing speed.

Not that I care, but all the PCs in the city are using the designated parts, right? Is it cool to swap it out like that?

Again with the Krypto chip...

I'm just saying. It's not my fault if Leader gets ticked at you for taking an unnecessary risk.

So, it's all good as long as he doesn't, then. We'd be a lame hacker group if we all just used standard equipment.

Eh, suit yourself. I'll be cleaning my guns.

Whatever, I'm gonna take off. I can't waste time sitting around like this.

*Phone Ringing*

Hm? Who's that?

Yes?

H-Hello!? Is that you, Tomatoe? It's me Spooky.

I'm at the Algon NS building right now, but something's gone wrong. Th-This place is full of m-monsters...

...!? Whoa--

Oh boy

Is Leader okay...? Did he say monsters!?

Leader is your friend, right? He was talking about monsters...

Algon NS is a branch office of Algon Soft, right? What's leader doing there?

I don't know, but... That call was no joke. Leader was dead serious.

What'd he mean by monsters? Is that code for cops or security?

That's the most confusing part, but... We can't ignore this. We gotta go help Leader.

Help? At the Algon NS building? You sure about this?

(Hey, I thought you were leaving!?)

(Oh, shut up! I wanna go, so I'm going!)

(I haven't been outside in such a long time. I'm aching for a fight. Don't worry, your body is ready!)

(You don't need to use my body! Find another one, please! I don't like fighting!)

(You can't tell Nemissa what to do! This is my body now, forever! You should just get used to it!)

I love how the protagonist is playing Paradigm X or something, not even caring about those two arguing.

H-Hey, no need to start hopping around over there. We can all tell you're ready to go. You can come along. Aren't you guys worried about barging in empty-handed, though? I'll lend you all some of my collection.

I never thought I'd ever use these in actual combat... Haha, is my collection badass or what?

Well, we're all ready to go, then. The Algon NS building is at the north side of Nikamimon. Let's roll.

Oh, it's over. Man, what a long conversation. Anyway, Hito...missa? gets some levels too.

Unless you care about her ultimate armor, which requires at least 12 in every single stat, don't put any points into St, En or Lu. In and Ma are a must and Ag can be helpful.

Let's go.

"2D Field"

See that icon on the second screen?

Those are the COMP mods the sender was talking about. You can change the difficulty, reveal all maps without having to explore by yourself, being able to have any demon in your party regardless of their alignment and having enemy demons already analyzed. I won't touch the rest but I'll raise the difficulty because hey, why not?

Anyway, that's all for now. Sorry for taking this long to write a single update. :ohdear: The drawing classes and not having internet connection for over a week really messed up my update schedule. Next up, Algon NS! Again...! :atlus:

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

My first experience playing this game was the untranslated PS1 version, so Paradigm X and the Vision Quest were a surreal experience to say the least.

I find the Spooky's to be pretty amusing as a gang. Despite that badass truck and remarkable branding they have, they prove to be surprisingly rag-tag throughout most of the game. I have no memory of the Hard mode of this game, which probably means I did not set it when I played it. It'll be interesting to see how that affects things.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You're raising the difficulty? :stonk:

I always kept the difficulty at normal, but turned it down during demon fusion/summoning (it costs a fee to fuse or summon demons, and the prices are obnoxiously steep, in my opinion. Easy decreases them, so I can only assume that Hard... well...)

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

CullenDaGaDee posted:

My first experience playing this game was the untranslated PS1 version, so Paradigm X and the Vision Quest were a surreal experience to say the least.

I find the Spooky's to be pretty amusing as a gang. Despite that badass truck and remarkable branding they have, they prove to be surprisingly rag-tag throughout most of the game. I have no memory of the Hard mode of this game, which probably means I did not set it when I played it. It'll be interesting to see how that affects things.

While the "usefulness" of a couple of members is questionable at first, I think the game does a fantastic job making every one of them do something relevant at some point.

Quackles posted:

You're raising the difficulty? :stonk:

I always kept the difficulty at normal, but turned it down during demon fusion/summoning (it costs a fee to fuse or summon demons, and the prices are obnoxiously steep, in my opinion. Easy decreases them, so I can only assume that Hard... well...)

Oh right! I forgot that it's more expensive to buy demons from the compendium while on Hard. I may change it back to normal outside of battles, since I'll definitely need a lot of MAG to tackle the Extra content.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I've always disliked Hard modes in MegaTen games increasing prices because they always just do a flat multiplier instead of giving everything a unique price. It only succeeds in making things harder in the early game, where you have to make some tough choices with selling items to obtain useful stuff, and just makes it incredibly annoying in the late game where money is easy to get but the prices are so inflated it takes about an hour or two to get it all together.

Frozenen
Nov 6, 2022
I am very annoyed by hardmodes in megaten games making compendium more expensive. I get that the idea is to make it harder to be flexible with demons. But in practice all it does is basically force you to either grind a lot, go die a bit to see what is needed or looking up ahead of time what weaknesses/strengths you need for a certain stretch of the game. The increased difficulty is generally a pretty fun puzzle in itself, and forcing a grind for money is just boring.

And finally Nemissa enters the stage! She really is a fun protagonist, and carries most of the burden of having a personality on account of the main character having to be a bit of a cipher as far as I remember.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I've always disliked Hard modes in MegaTen games increasing prices because they always just do a flat multiplier instead of giving everything a unique price. It only succeeds in making things harder in the early game, where you have to make some tough choices with selling items to obtain useful stuff, and just makes it incredibly annoying in the late game where money is easy to get but the prices are so inflated it takes about an hour or two to get it all together.

Another awful example is Persona 4 Golden, Very Hard reduces your EXP and money which makes the game feel like a slog. At least you can modify your own difficulty to remove that. Can't say the same about SMT Nocturne! But hey, least there's a mod to keep the normal mode prices.

Frozenen posted:

I am very annoyed by hardmodes in megaten games making compendium more expensive. I get that the idea is to make it harder to be flexible with demons. But in practice all it does is basically force you to either grind a lot, go die a bit to see what is needed or looking up ahead of time what weaknesses/strengths you need for a certain stretch of the game. The increased difficulty is generally a pretty fun puzzle in itself, and forcing a grind for money is just boring.

And finally Nemissa enters the stage! She really is a fun protagonist, and carries most of the burden of having a personality on account of the main character having to be a bit of a cipher as far as I remember.

Yeah, I completely forgot about the compendium. I'll leave the game on hard mode during exploration and fighting, while changing it back to normal when I need to buy demons or magnetite. At least it's available from the start unlike SMT IV...

Nemissa is probably one of the most recognizable characters in the entire franchise and she actually grows as a character as the game goes on! Which is surprising considering how rude she is at the start. From what I've been playing on hard she's still a powerhouse but can't oneshot enemies unless the demon is weak to the element she's using.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Mini-Update: Nemechi

On the previous update we unlocked COMP hacks and Nemechi. So, what the hell is a Nemechi?

"Nemechi"

Unlike 99% of the soundtrack, this track was composed by Ryota Kozuka.

I'm a program that collects D-Souls so you can get new demons. So you're Tomato Pawah? That's an okay name, I guess.

I'm gonna collect all the D-Souls I can, so I can learn more about humans. Let's get started.

Nemechi is your usual StreetPass feature. You can trade your play coins in exchange for D-Souls. To get playcoins you need to walk around with your 3DS in sleep mode.

Here you can buy unique demons, the ones you're seeing right now are the Devil Summoner versions! To be honest, I prefer this Pixie over the SMT 1 design...
While I do have a 3DS I'm not going to transfer my save file over and over again. If you're using Citra go to: Emulation, Settings, System and you should see an option to add Play Coins. If I remember correctly you can have up to 300.

And voilá! We have play coins now.

If you have doubts about Nemechi you can ask it some questions. Don't worry, dear reader, I'm not going to info dump you (this time :argh:) but if you take the time to read all of it...

You get D-Souls for free, we can use these D-Souls to buy the exclusive demons Nemechi has.

Since both Pixie and Knocker are demons you can find in Algon NS, I won't be buying those. Instead I'll get this little guy called Oliver Zero. He's an alternative version of Oliver, a demon based on a real chimpanzee who was said to be a a mix of chimpanzee and human. This was eventually debunked.

Magic
Recarmudra: Fully heals HP to the entire party. Kills the User.

Extra
Infinite Taunt: Attempts to raise enemy ATK X2 and reduce its DEF x2

Just look at those skills... The person who made Oliver Zero must have been laughing like a maniac the entire time. He even has 69 HP.

I'll exchange some of my play coins for D-Souls now. This has a daily limit, so the more I can get the better. And talking about daily limits...

Nemechi can evolve once per day. In case you need to hasten the process, you can just change the date in your 3DS to ignore this limitation.

Eh...

The Snake is supposed to unlock 4 demons but we only have two, I wonder why? You see, evolving Nemechi doesn't grant access to all demons available to that form. Instead, they depend in your current amount of D-Souls. A few of these numbers are set, but most of them are unknown. Nemechi will always evolve into the Snake form, then it will choose at random between the Male and Female path. Both paths unlock exclusive demons that are not available on the other.

However, evolving Nemechi again won't lock you out of demons from the previous form. Instead it will automatically unlock them as long as you have enough D-Souls. Because of this, it's better to keep evolving Nemechi while saving up D-Souls.

Once you reach their final form, you'll have the option to return to the base Nemechi and start again.

Something to keep in mind is that both Male and Female paths have ultimate demons, and they're quite expensive. According to the Wiki, these 2 demons cost 2500 D-Souls to unlock but in my own testing one of them was unlocked at 1825 D-Souls and the other one unlocked at 3000 D-Souls. If you reach the final Nemechi form, try to unlock the ultimate demon before switching to the other path.

If I remember correctly you can't buy demons that are a higher level than-- YOO IS THAT MOH SHUVUU?!

This is her Devil Summoner version but... :shepspends:

In case you're wondering, no I didn't spend 2 weeks only writing this. I wanted to properly explain Nemechi since I'll be buying demons from time to time. Update 4 should be up in a few hours. I'll be adding the current Nemechi form with the demons it unlocks here. See you in a few hours. :atlus:

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 4: Algon NS

"2D Field"

You bet.

...Er? You are Hitomi, right? Something seems different about you.

Check this out.

Whoa! You have a license!? Badical! I bet it's awesome!

Paradigm X... That name's supposed to be important, right? What is it...?

It's a virtual world! You get into it on a computer, and you can walk all over and do this cool stuff in it!

Thanks for the explanation!

(There's no time for this, Nemissa! We have to save Leader!)

Huh? What was that, Hitomi?

I love those interactions

I'm pretty sure it's a coyote.

I wonder if it's a special feature for some users? Maybe we'll all be able to choose animal characters later.

Soul Hackers truly was ahead of its time, huh.

Meanwhile, back at home, Tomoko is gaming. There are a few more NPC dialogues but nothing interesting or worth mentioning.

We have a new location, Nikamimon.

There it is, Algon NS.

Although, every couple that goes up there on a date ends up breaking up. Maybe that antenna collects bad vibes or something. If you two wanna stay together, I'd suggest staying away from that place.

Oh, I'm sure the Amami Monolith is a lovely place... :smithicide:

Eh, don't worry about them. They're inseparable. They don't even understand the concept of breaking up.

I know they're supposed to be way more easy to use than they used to be, but man, I still don't get them. But, if you don't learn how to use the new tech, you're going to get left behind in the business world.

They told us not to customize it, but I can't ever imagine needing to tamper with it.

You hear that, Lunch? For some reason, you just had to go and tweak it just that liiiiitle bit extra.

...Shut up, Six. There's never a reason to go mass produced. I'm not a number.

Heh, not only Nemissa and Hitomi have funny interactions.

"Spookies"

Hey, wanna see a video of Jack Frost and his girlfriend dancing with that music in the background? Here you go

We don't have time to turn over every rock looking for him, and we can't afford to get caught ourselves... What should we do?

What are you muttering about? What a pain. Fine, I'll go on ahead.

Hey! Don't go walking off on your own!

I'm not good at sitting here and thinking! Besides, I don't have to take orders from you!

Yes, you do! It's my body! Tomato, help me out here!

Hee-ho?

Hee-ho!

Shut up! None of your business!

Look, calm down. You're right that splitting up would be the most efficient plan.

Lunch has a lot of patience when dealing with Nemissa.

Let's split into pairs, me with Six and Tomatoe with Hitomi.

Don't do anything stupid. Well, that's what my collection is for. Bwahahahahaha!

Honestly, you're the one I'm worried about the most. Anyway, you guys be careful.

"Algon NS (Reality)"

Ah, it feels good to be back. This time with a new dungeon theme, less Magnetite and having our enemy sonar in yellow.

Crap, Finnegan is still here...

Yup, everything's great!

Right, Tomato?

Y-Yeah.

What about you, Lunch? What're you doing here?

Me? I was thinking of heading upstairs... But this elevator's got a security lock on it...

Ha... This type is easy. Hold on... Just gimme a sec...

[Voice] The security lock has been released.

Wow, Lunch, that's amazing! You really are reliable!

(...Whoa. Hitomi's really nervous, huh, Tomatoe? She's trying so hard to act cheerful.)

Men when they get an honest compliment be like

(Not that I can blame her. This is a pretty dicey situation...) Well, be careful. I'm going on ahead.

Jirae - Knocker
A sprite who lives in the mines of Cornwall. There are tales of benevolent tapping to tell miners of a rich vein of ore or notifying them of an impending cave-in. They are generally viewed as good sprites, but show their anger to those they dislike. They reportedly hate whistling, so miners who do not wish to draw their ire never whistle inside mines.

Lv. 3
Nulls: Ice

Being level 7 is not going to help if we're alone. Let's try to recruit this Knocker.

Hmm, are you one of those, whatchacallit, Summoners? Yeah... I reckon that COMP looks mighty durn familiar. Don't recall seeing you before, though. You're a green, aren't ya, sonny boy?

Is it that obvious?

Then why don'tcha let good ol' Knocker teach you a thing or two about talking to demons?

First, you ought to know why you'd wanna talk to one. Well, seeing as how you're a Summoner, you need demons to help you out, right? To get a demon to join you, you gotta make friends with it first. The best way to do that is to talk to it first so's you understand each other. Just like people do!

You got to be careful, 'cause you need to think about what the demon might be thinking. Demons are just like humans, the way they have moods, likes and dislikes. They won't always answer the same way. And now you're probably thinking, "Then how'm I supposed to talk to 'em, dagnabbit!?"

Welp, it's no different than talkin' to another human. If they like you, they'll help you. If they don't, they won't. See? Just like humanfolk. If you want to be friends with a demon, just give 'em the answer you think they'll like hearing. They might not cotton to you at first, but you keep talking , and eventually you'll be havin' a nice chat. Or, if'n you want, you can act all tough and strong. Some demons might be impressed by that instead. If that's your angle, you just give answers you think will get the demon to obey you. Depending on how the jawin' goes, you might get to negotiate with the demon.

Back in the good ol' days, us demons traded in human souls. But times have changed... The exchange rate nowadays is 10 times their level in MAG, or 100 times their level in Yen. That's 'bout what it takes to satisfy demons these days.

Not every demon will join you, neither. There are some downright unsociable demons that won't even think about joining you. You c'n tell if the demon you're jawin' with will join by looking at the upper right of the screen while you talk. If there's a mark to the right of where it shows the demon's name and race... That means there's a chance they'll join you. If there isn't one there, nothin' doing. They have their reasons.

He means this smiley face, by the way.

It might even be your fault they won't join, m'boy! But that doesn't mean you shouldn't talk to 'em. If'n you make a good impression, they might let you go when you're in a pinch, or maybe even give you a little gift.

This refers to talking to a demon you already recruited. Keep in mind that having a dead ally will cause the demon to attack you instead!

Oh, and one more thing. You c'n talk to demons like me 'cause of that COMP thingy you go there. But if that COMP gets lost or broken, you won't be able to talk to demons, so watch out. Anyway, enjoy jawin' with demons!

No idea what he means here, at no point in the game you lose the COMP or anything like it.

Hoho, did I talk your ear off? Hmm, I think I'm out of things to say. Did you catch all that, sonny boy? Oh, one last thing! To show how much I appreciate you listening to me, I'm going to join you. The name's Gen the Knocker, a mischievous Jirae! You can call me Old Man Gen!

You also get experience by recruiting demons. 18 EXP doesn't sound like a lot but...

...it's enough for me and Nemissa to level up! When you level up, you get a full HP/TP restore. Her only skill up to this point was Dia, which is a weak healing skill.

Heh... :unsmigghh:

"Normal Battle"

We finally trigger our first random encounter as the MC and Nemissa. I wasn't planning on uploading enemy stats like this but since this game has a lot of obscure demons with really cool art, I'll be uploading a brief description like this.

Spirit - Poltergeist
A trickster ghost known for haunting houses. It wreaks havoc by making loud noises and moving objects around through the air.

Lv. 2
Alignment: DARK-CHAOS
Nulls: Death, Nerve, Gun.

While the MC is a jack of all trades, master of none.

Nemissa will straight up delete any demons as long as they aren't immune to magic... Look at the damage compared to my sword attack, keep in mind I'm playing on hard and Poltergeist isn't even weak to fire!

I don't know his name, but I've seen his face before. I think it was a year ago or so...

Yup, sounds like Finnegan...

OH, right... Since we checked these with Urabe they're already opened...

Nemissa, please...

What's wrong with you? How are you so calm!? There are monsters all over this building!

I saw them.

...You saw them, and you're still that calm? Erm... Well... It's probably less nerve-racking when you've got two people. I mean, I'm by myself here. Nobody to cover my six or anything.

What about Lunch?

Lunch left me behind like a little punkass! You don't know what I'm going through over here, man! You weren't there!

Really? We bumped into Lunch, and he told us that you ran off on your own at the first sight of a monster.

Wh-What!? He told you that? I-I can't believe he'd lie like that! Hahaha... What a jerk, right?

...I was just messing with you. But, now I know the truth.

Hm? Are you guys here to get through this door? There's no way. I was just taking a look at it, but it has a special security program. You'd need a high-level fake ID to get through here. Now then. I guess I should go find Lunch. See you...

Undead - Facebind
They are zombies of people who enjoy being bound but who only find ecstasy in binding their face and head. This extremely dangerous act resulted in the brain death of its participants via asphyxiation which is perhaps why these facebinders became zombies. Because their zombie form is still bound around the head they're even dumber than the average zombie.

Lv. 1
Alignment: DARK-NEUTRAL
Personality: Wild
Nulls: Death, Mind.
Weakness: Fire, Expel

:unsmigghh:

Since Lunch hacked the elevator, we can access areas previously locked for Urabe.

Oddly enough, nothing happens if you return to the computer room where Urabe took Nemissa.

Oh, right. I should summon my demons to talk about loyalty. You will need Magnetite to both summon them and move around. Every step you take will cost some Magnetite, you can check how much MAG a demon will use per step using the CP stat.

The emergency exit... It looks like the security's off.

Exactly. Someone deactivated it. And I'm guessing that someone must be Leader. Don't you agree? Anyway, I'm going in. You two be careful.

Behind the unlocked door we find another Terminal and our first Healing Space, here we can fully restore HP/TP, cure ailments or both. These don't charge you Yen, but Magnetite.

The loyalty meter can go up or down depending on your commands. In this case we have 2 Dumb demons on the party. Dumb demons like to do whatever they want, so the fastest way to raise their loyalty is to use the "Go" command.

Foul - Slime
The byproduct of a failed summoning. Devoid of its original powers, it's trapped in an incomplete gel form. Its journey from the Atziluth world to the Assiah world was incomplete in some way.

Lv. 1
Alignment: DARK - CHAOS
Null: Death

Here I told Oliver to attack, if the text screen is white that means the demon obeyed your command reluctantly.

If it's blue that means they liked your command. Despite being a Dumb demon, the Knocker obeyed me and even liked it! However, this is unreliable so your best bet is to use Go. Hm? Why is it unreliable? Well...

Here I told Oliver to heal with Media and...

This is why Dumb demons are the worst type to work with...

A Balm of Life revives someone with full HP, I'm not wasting such a valuable item with Oliver.

So I used the Healing Space instead. Let's be more careful next time.

We just had a hacking incident recently, and now I'm hearing we've got monsters in the building? This isn't real, right?

People died in Algon NS.

Wait a second... That's right! The hacking incident had mysterious fatalities...! So, maybe... The monsters are real!? Heeeelllllllppppppppp! I have a family! I can't die here!

Haunt - Preta
A ghoulish demon of Buddhist lore. Greedy humans cast into the Preta realm of Hell become these. Their hunger is unrelenting and their suffering continues until they are reincarnated.

Lv.3
Alignment: DARK - CHAOS
Null: Death

You two, do whatever you want!

This game has some unique combat animations.

There we go! Trust in Dumb demons and they will be unst-- Wait, Oliver... NO, DON'T DO THAT!

It seems to lead to the basement... I'll go check it out.

Beast - Gally Trot
A large dog-like monster that appears in eastern England. Its name means "protect treasure", and it's known to appear where treasure is buried. There are versions of it with a human head, and others depict it with a human body. Meeting one is a sign of imminent death.

Lv. 6
Personality: Wild
Drains: Force

Ah, finally! Another friendly demon.

My friends.

FRIENDS PRECIOUS. FEW FRIENDS, LONELY. LOTS FRIENDS, HAPPY!

RAWRRRRRRRRRR...! ME GIVE YOU SOMETHING. GOOD FOR SUMMONER...

Ugh... I have when demons ask for this kind of thing. Every single time I gave demons a sword I wasn't using ended up in them taking it, telling me it's garbage and going away. In my experience, reaching this point is a dead end...

RAWRRRRRR! YOU NOT HAVE! NO GETTING AROUND IT...

Are you serious...? "Give me Armor" is pretty much the same.

ME SEE... ME DISAPPOINTED. OKAY, ME GIVE UP. RAWRRRRRRRR! ME HAVE NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT NOW. ALL DONE.

You know, I was just wondering if you two were okay. Not like I'm calling for any other reason. Just checking on my team.

...O-Oh yeah. There's something suspicious down below in the basement. Why don't you check it out? Uwaaaaa!!

Why is she smiling...?

...N-Nothing. It's cool. I'm cool. I thought I saw a monster... Ohh my god. You guys better not give me crap about this...

...Anyway, that's all I called for. Nothing else to report. We'll meet up later!

Fairy - Pixie
A small faerie found in southwest Britain. It is cheerful and likes to play pranks. Their appearance changes from region to region, but their personality is constant. One common prank is to cause humans to travel in circles. They also help farmers, however, and are generally considered good faeries.

Lv. 2
Personality: Kind
Drains: Force

OH CRAP! When you get ambushed the frontline and backline will switch positions, it's as dangerous as it sounds.

Luckily they're just Pixies. Wait, they're pixies! I can recruit one of them.

That means you're a Summoner, right? I haven't seen you before, so you're probably new at this. Am I right?

Yeah, I'm new.

Oh, so here's where it all starts for you. Well, some demons are anti-social and will never cooperate with you. So if you ever see them, just accept it that you're gonna have to fight them. Well, you've got a long way ahead of you... Aw! I'm too worried about you. I guess I'll help you out.

Oh yeah, I haven't introduced myself yet. I'm Pixie the Fairy. I'll be your demon, so let's do our best!

Free Magnetite is always welcome.

Kind demons enjoy using healing/recovery skills, buffs and guarding. Wait until their loyalty meter is high enough to use offensive skills. Something worth mentioning is that a Kind demon with 5 Loyalty will guard the protagonist if he's about to take mortal damage!

And we finally reach the basement.

Okay... before challenging Finnegan I should try and get another party member to have a full team. Maybe I can get lucky with a Gally Trot?

Freshly grown.

ME NO CAN GET IT. SUMMONER GET IT FOR ME!

Sweet! Welcome to the t--

ME GET! ME HAPPY! WANT NOW! GOODBYE SUMMONER. ME WILL COME AGAIN.

Never change Beast demons, never change...

While I was looking for a Gally Trot, both my Pixie and Knocker reached Lv. 5 Loyalty!

See, I knew it! She's in that machine! You guys were getting all touchy and stuff!

Remember to talk to the enemy when you have the same demon in your inventory, they'll give you something for free. Also drat! Soul Hackers demons are down bad...

AYY there he is.

:argh: Whatever, I'll just use the drat monkey...

These are my stats for the fight.

"Suspicious Occasion"

Hello there Finneg-- Who the hell is this guy?

Tomato... Who is this? Could he know where Leader is?

"Leader"? Is that the guy who was here earlier? So, you're the ones he called! Hey, that saves me the trouble of having to go look for you. Everything's goin' Carol J's way today!

Carol J, what a name.

You already know about demons, so I can't just let you live. You did manage to get past all of mine, though...

Oh, so you were the one controlling all the demons here? Tell us where Leader is!

Good question. Maybe he's alive, maybe not. So, who are you guys? Your boyfriend look like a Summoner, but I've never seen your faces at the Phantom Society.

A Summoner? You mean Tomato?

Who else would I be talking about? You have a COMP, so you've gotta be a Summoner!

"Event Battle" :siren: "Carol J" :siren:

Human - Carol J

Nulls: Expel, Death, Mind, Nerve, Curse, Strike

Skills:
Strength Song: Attempts to inflict Confusion to a single target.
Short Jab: Deals Strike damage to a single target.

Carol J isn't that impressive but he's supposed to be the tutorial boss. This fight teaches you the importance of recruiting demons. Nemissa is very powerful sure, but it will be useless if the MC or she gets confused without no one to help. His minions are underleveled versions of normal demons so I won't even bother to talk about them. Oh, and if you're wondering if Oliver killed himself again...

Yes, yes he did...

"Boss Event End"

Tch! Consider yourselves lucky! I'm lettin' you off easy today, but I'll be back!

He never shut up until it was all over...! Huh, he dropped something. What is this?

I wonder what this is...

H-Hang on. This looks like a note. Let's see...

We should ask the others about these later. They might be able to tell us something about them.

"Spookies"

Leader! You're all right!

Y-Yeah. Did you two come to save me?

Something like that. I'm disappointed that it was so easy, though.

But, still, how did--

Heh.

The gun-type PC! Did you get it working!?

It's, uh... A-Anyway, why don't we get out of here? Lunch and Six are here, too.

Yeah... Yeah, you're right. We shouldn't stick around. Let's go.

We get 3 levels after that fight. I put two more points into AG and Nemissa gives MA a single point.

I'll admit, it was a close call... But Tomatoe and Hitomi stepped in and saved me.

H-Hey, I helped, don't forget. I was taking those monsters down, one after an--

We aren't safe here. Cmon, let's get the hell out of this place. We can talk at HQ.

. . .

Hey, you can't blame me! We were dealing with monsters!

"Hideout"

I went back to the junk dealer I bought the gun PC from, and asked him where he got it.

...And?

...He said that he just found it on the street by the building. I thought it might have fallen from up there...

So you snuck into the building just on a hunch?

...Nobody would have thought there'd be demons inside.

It was a strange building. It has to be something out of the ordinary.

I'm wondering about that "Phantom Society" Carol J mentioned.

Don't be fooled by Finnegan's imposing aura, the Phantom Society are a bunch of clowns.

drat. Demons, Summoners... It's like something straight out of a comic book or a movie. I don't believe it.

Oh, so this is where we've moved to. Huh? What's with all the serious faces?

Oh, look who decides to come waltzing in AFTER we've done all the work!

What the hell, Six? What're you so mad about? Huh?

I'm with Yuichi, what the hell is his problem?

Whatcha got there, Tomatoe? Some kind of fancy gun? Suh-weet! Lemme see, lemme see!

You can touch it, but don't you dare point it at me unless you want a faceslap!

Whoa, what happened to you, Hitomi? You look so different.

...Yo, I deciphered the code that was on that note.

You did? Nice! What about the card?

It's a license card for something, but that's all I know. The note is where the real treasure is. The code was a web address. Feast your peepers on this, people: "Summoner Net"!

"To all the glorious" Like I said, a bunch of clowns.

This was posted a little while back.

"Dispose..." Is that what they were trying to do to me? Who are these guys...?

The Kuzunoha, huh?

The demon at Amami Bay...?

I don't understand what this part is referring to.

And here's the latest posting, from three days ago.

The Phantom Society... That's the group Carol J mentioned. Ha ha... Ha ha ha...

This is big. I never thought we'd find a secret like this hidden beneath the gleaming facade of this supposed near-utopia.

You were about to be killed a few minutes ago, and you're already laughing...

N-Now hold on a sec. You don't plan on messing with them again, do you?

Nemissa, please...

Wha--!? W-Well, what about you, Hitomi!?

I'm fine. Heck, sounds like it'll be fun. If we hurry up and chase them, we might be able to get some real information out of them.

R-Really...? W-Well... I don't want to have to worry about you guys. I'll come too.

Then it's decided. Our only clues right now are Summoner Net and the COMP...

:siren: :siren: :siren:

H-Hey! What's that sound!?

I-I dunno, it just started beeping all of a sudden...

Lay off! It just started beeping for no reason!

Give me that thing! Ugh, it's getting me on my nerves. Tomato, do something!

Look at the screen.

It says "ERROR" on the screen...

Grasp the grip.

Maybe it has a fingerprint reader or something?

Let's see what the detailed error report says...

"GO TO GOUMADEN" ...Goumaden? I've heard that name somewhere before... Oh! It's the cruise ship chained up in the harbor. The Hotel Goumaden.

But does that boat have anything to do with the COMP?

Tomatoe, you're the one who can make that COMP work. I want you to go to the Goumaden and see what's up.

Isn't that dangerous? If it's something to do with that COMP, it can't be normal.

That's exactly why I want Tomatoe on this job. Only he can fight the demons.

I'm going with him. This sounds like it'll be fun.

Huh? But, Hitomi, it's going to be dangerous...

O-Okay, then... Just... Be careful. Wait, let me give you the license card, too. Maybe it'll be useful somehow.

All right, Tomato, let's get going. To the Goumaden cruise ship!

"2D Field"

Hmm I wonder what the game wants me to do...:magemage:

Funnily enough, if you go to the Fortune Teller he says this. You know, just in case the orange screen wasn't enough.

Do you know who did it?

Many people stepped forward to claim responsibility, but nobody knows who really did it yet. I hope the construction finishes without any more accidents.

Here's a missable conversation between Six and Yuichi if you return to the Hideout before entering the Goumaden.

Ugh, shut up. What is it?

C'mon, man, you promised me last time we met up. So give it!

Give what? I don't remember promising you anything.

What!? You promised! You said you'd give me a cool hacker handle, like everyone else has! You must've come up with something, right? C'mon, give me a name.

You don't get a name! You're still a noob!

Huh!? But... But you promised! C'mon, man! Name me!

C'mon, man, at least TRY to think of something clever for me!

What, now you're complaining? All right, then, here's a name that fits you perfectly. You're obnoxious and you're constantly wearing that stupid hat... We're gonna call you "Habr-r" pronounced "Haberdasher"!

Both of you , shut the hell up.

All right, let's go to the Goumaden.

"Hotel Goumaden"

Is this really the same Goumaden as was in that message? You think we'll be okay in there?

Heeheehee. Looks like fun. Let's take a peek.

Remember her from my Love Club results? I'm not really into maids but she's pretty cute. She's voiced by Stephanie Sheh; who also voices Tharja from Fire Emblem Awakening, Hinata from Naruto and Usagi Tsukino from Sailor Moon.

O-Oh, we're......

I'm afraid that I cannot allow you to pass without a reservation. Please leave.

Huh, oh, but we're--

Please leave.

Ugh, you're like a lifeless doll! We're here because the COMP told us to come! This is the Goumaden, right?

Master Victor...

If you've played other Devil Summoner titles you may recognize Victor... He's voiced by one of my favourite English voice actors, Patrick Seitz. Starting from Fire Emblem, he voices: Hector from FE Engage, Khan Basilio (that dumbass) from FE Awakening, Jeritza from 3 Houses and Camus Zeke from FE Shadows of Valentia (best FE game btw) A few other roles I enjoyed were Dio Brando from Jojo, Franky from One Piece and Riz from Beastars. I could keep going but I'll just leave it there....

Also, Victor and Mary? Very clever game, very clever...

As you wish.

Now then, guests. Would you show me this COMP you mentioned?

Here...:ohdear:

...I see. It's seen a bit of damage, but I should be able to fix it easily.

You seem to know a lot about the COMP. Are you guys Summoners, too?

Ha, I see. You have only recently set foot in this world, I assume? The doors to the Goumaden are open to all who have COMPs. Allow me to show you my sanctuary, my demon workshop...

Demon fusion...

Demon fusion~

It is a way of combining demons to create an even more powerful demon. When you gain new demons, bring them here. I will show you my techniques.

But we didn't come here to fuse anything. Why are you telling us this?

It will be important once I repair your COMP. However, in exchange, I want you to find me a certain something. An item I require to complete my research.

No way. Why should we do this for you?

Because I am the only one who can repair your COMP. It's not a bad deal, wouldn't you say?

Get wrecked Nemissa.

(We don't really have a choice.)

(What!? I don't want to give in to this nutcase's demands!)

(But we can't leave without the COMP! There's no other option.)

What I need you to obtain for me is kept in the cold storage warehouse at the Warehouse District in Amami Bay. A bloodless lump of earth that holds the breath of life within it, a grotesque doll... Bring it to me.

Some kind of doll? What do you need that for?

That doll is precisely what I require to complete my research. It will also be of some reliable use to you, as well...

It has five blocks of memory that can be used to install software to perform useful functions. I have one such install program here. Take it. Think on what programs you wish to use, and use the Terminals to change your installed software.

If you played Strange Journey, you may be familiar with the App System. The app "Da Vinci" will add the "search option" when fusing demons using the COMP.

As you may already be aware, the COMP has a function that allows you to fuse demons. It is an unstable prototype, however. I don't recommend that you use it too often.

This isn't just flavour text, using the COMP the fuse demons is a bit more risky.

Oh, now that we're cooperating, suddenly you're all friendly with us.

Now, I want you to go carry out your end of the bargain, but... You don't appear to be properly equipped. Go to Shibahama Core. There are people there who should be able to help you if you show them that COMP.

Thank you. Tomato, let's go.

Ah~ That's better. Don't worry, I'll write a mini-update about Shibahama Core to talk about the shops and demon fusion. Next up, the cold storage warehouse! :atlus:

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 1, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I should play this game again... I'd forgotten about the MAG costs per step, though. That's a tad rude.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

six posted:

We're gonna call you "Habr-r" pronounced "Haberdasher"!

Honestly? That's not a terrible name for a hacker

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
One thing to note is that the demons you get from Nemichi aren't the same as the ones you find in battle, they have different abilities.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Revisiting this game after watching Jojo Part 5, I wonder if Narancia and Fugo were inspirations for these two, we do know this franchise has its fair share of Jojo influences.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Quackles posted:

I should play this game again... I'd forgotten about the MAG costs per step, though. That's a tad rude.

Yeah... The CP Mag-per-Step costs can go out of hand in the lategame. Luckily, situations where you need all 4 demons summoned while exploring are between rare and inexistent.

Slaan posted:

Honestly? That's not a terrible name for a hacker

IKR?

Koorisch posted:

One thing to note is that the demons you get from Nemichi aren't the same as the ones you find in battle, they have different abilities.

Oh, yeah! I'm aware but thanks for telling me. I'll be putting the Nemechi demons here.. After doing some testing of my own, unlocking the ultimate demons ended up being a lot more tricky than expected.

Petiso posted:

Revisiting this game after watching Jojo Part 5, I wonder if Narancia and Fugo were inspirations for these two, we do know this franchise has its fair share of Jojo influences.

Huh now that you mention it... Fugo and Narancia resemble Six and Yuichi a lot. :psyduck: (Part 5 is amazing and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise :black101:)

Also, I can't believe I never noticed the similarities between Set and Acheri. :cripes:

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Mini-Update: Shibahama Core

Remember Shibahama Core? Where every single vendor told me to gently caress off? Okay, it wasn't that bad but you get it...

"Video Muscle"

Now, hold on a second...

Oh, wait. Hey, that's a COMP, isn't it? Why didn't you tell me you had one?

It seems that having a COMP changes everything in Amami City.

On the lower screen you can see your equipped weapon/gun. The Leather Comb isn't a huge damage boost or anything but the extra hit rate is nice.

I buy both a weapon and a gun for the MC. So, about guns... They require ammo to shoot, ammo is limited but unless you're using guns every single fight for hours, you should be fine.

Nemissa will have terrible STR the entire game, so the best way to let her deal damage without using TP is a gun. I end up buying two 9mm Pistols and Normal Bullets. Got anything to say, Matthew Mercer?

Why don't you stop and chat for a bit instead of just buying items and leaving.

I'll think about it. We now have weapons, but what about armor?

"Picture Gallery Radder"

Heh.

I did not recognize your COMP sir. My sincere apologies

Oho~ Now THAT is fancy.

Armor is a bit more interesting than weapons. A helmet to null Mind being available right away? Sweet, I guess. Oh, right... I haven't explained the different status effects and all that.

HAHAHAHAHA... No. Remember we're heading to the COLD storage warehouse. By the way, see the female icon up there? Just like weapons, some armor is restricted to a specific sex. In this case, either Nemissa or the MC.

Remember the MC ultimate armor I mentioned? You need 10 MA to wear the full set, using this armor piece will let you equip it.

This should do. I recommend buying armor from time to time, you don't need to buy new stuff after every dungeon.

Something something, Persona 5.

I myself sometimes feel as though I become a part of a work of art when I come across a particularly splendid piece... One may go so far as to say that the art possesses me. It is a most peculiar sensation indeed.

He gets it.

"Automata"

Automata is probably one of my favourite songs in the game.

Oh, my, look at that... Uncle Victor made this, didn't he?

Not for free, of course.

I see. Well, I'm going to let you buy the special stuff, then.

Okay, about these items... MA doesn't affect the damage from consumable items. I guess you could give them a try if you literally have NOTHING to do with the MC. Just don't expect anything too crazy.

As for the Attract Water, it raises the encounter rate. Yeah, that's it. Later on, this shop will sell some very useful items.

"Drug Gear"

Okay you know the routine already, MC shows his COMP and bla bla bla.

...Oh! I didn't expect you to have one of Dr. Victor's COMPs. I guess looks can be deceiving... Well then, I'll show you the best Rx and Effects has to offer. I'm sure they'll come in handy.

Rx and Effects sells, you guessed it, consumable items

I don't remember the enemies in the next dungeon, but having items to cure poison and revive party members is a must. Probably...

Oh right! Something to keep in mind is that demons can't use items. Only humans such as the MC and Nemissa (well she isn't human, but you get the point) can. Since Nemissa will be doing most of the damage, nothing better than a fast MC to throw items around.

Why Rx and Effects?

Do you like the name of this shop? My mom wanted me to stick to tradition and name it "Ye Olde Medicine Shoppe" But I figured that a shop in this futuristic city needs to have a name that stands out. We even got a mascot!

"Hakkaku Liquor Store"

I didn't notice your COMP there. I guess you Summoners are just getting younger and younger. Heh. You know, I think I'm taking a liking to you. I'll show you some of the store's finest.

Yes, that's right! You can get your demons drunk. Doing so will change their personalities temporarily. Remember Oliver killing himself and me not being able to raise loyalty because "Go" also meant "Kill yourself"? If I had alcohol, I could've changed his personality to something like Wild and command him to attack instead of using Last Resort.

The third one is a gift. Giving gifts to demons will raise their loyalty. The efficiency of each gift depends on the personality type.

"Thai Eatery Sawamura"

...Sir, you have a COMP! Then you must try out my special recipes.

The voice of this guy is hilarious in Japanese.

This works just like Healing Spots, but you pay Yen instead of MAG.

You can also get a brief description of what stats do. Asking about luck will end up in "I don't know, but you should put some levels into it"

If you're not feeling well, come on back. Kop khun kraup!

"Somatic Energy Institute"

Hm... That's one of Victor's COMPs, isn't it? Ah, then you must be Mister Pawah.

The one and only

Very well. The Association hereby recognizes Pawah as a special member.

The Organic Energy Association has one simple function, selling and buying Magnetite.

See the "M=10=¥99"? That's the current rate. What is rate? I'll let the NPC do the talking this time.

The "Rate" is the exchange rate of MAG to Yen. For example, if the rate is shown as 10= ¥107, then that means you can buy 10 MAG for 107 yen. Or, in reverse, if you sell 10 MAG, the Association will pay you 107 Yen.
So you could buy MAG when it's cheap, and sell it once the prices start to rise. You could make some money that way, but it won't really be a considerable amount.
The MAG and yen trade rate is not set in stone. If demand outgrows supply, the cost of MAG will increase. Conversely, if there is little demand and lots of supply, the prices will go down.

What is Magnetite, anyway?

MAG, formally known as "Magnetite", is a type of energy created by life. Even humans have MAG within them, though it's a negligible amount. In some rare cases, there are people with an extraordinarily large amount of MAG within their bodies. These people often come under attack by demons. But, I'm sure to those concerned that it's simply a nuisance.

Wait... So that's why are we getting attacked so often? Because of Nemissa? Her hair is even the same color as the Magnetite tanks behind him!

Thanks for the explanation.

I suggest you be careful. Demons are unable to survive without Magnetite...

I should be able to upgrade Nemechi again...

Hey, I got the female path.

YOOOOOOOOO, DORMARTH!

And Decarabia's BFF.

I'll buy a Goblin, just in case.

"Hotel Goumaden"

I've been waiting for this...

Demon fusion is the core of Megami Tensei, plain and simple. Once one of your allies stops being useful, fuse it with another demon to create a (hopefully) better one.

Let's start with Binary Fusion. How about Old man Gen (Knocker) and the Goblin I just got.

Oh, okay. How about... Oliver Zero and Pixie?

The new demon will inherit skills if fused inside the Goumaden, that's why I prefer using this place instead of the COMP. But, Why Recarmudra...? Bah, whatever. Bye bye Pixie and Oliver.

And those are the basics of Demon Fusion. There is more advanced stuff, but I'll leave that for later. Also, notice how the Loyalty meter is almost full... Some of the loyalty gets transferred to the new demon, so try to raise it as much as you can.

"Hideout"

I'm just here to save my game.

Nice timing, Tomatoe. We've just found something new on this Summoner Net of theirs.

The Sea Ark will become an excellent training ground for Summoners. You can access the Ark using your license card.

We hope that you will continue to hone your skills and become powerful soldiers for the Phantom Society.

"The day is coming" Lmao.

I just tasked Six and Yu-Ichi with digging up info around town.

We'll give you a call if we find anything, Leader. Hey, Yu-Ichi, quit wasting time!

Heeeey, hold up! I'm coming!

...Oh, see ya, Tomatoe.

So, how'd it go on your end?

Yes, about the Goumaden...

Fade to black.

Victor, huh...

He didn't seem to be associated with the Phantom Society, but...

He was hot.

He was a creep.

That too, I guess.

From what it sounds like, he doesn't deal with people who don't have COMPs. We have no way to communicate with him ourselves, then... Sorry, but we'll have to let you deal with him.

Right, before I go I should check on my apps.

Enemy Sonar: Displays the danger level of enemies in the current floor.
Honey Bee: Displays all floors of the dungeon.
Moon Adult: Raises success chance when talking to demons during a Full Moon.
Da Vinci: Adds a "Fusion Search" option when using the COMP to fuse demons.

Eh, I don't have anything better so may as well.

"2D Field"

We have a new location, Amami Bay.

Oh? THE Amami Airport? I wonder what happened there, even the Phantom Society seemed distressed when talking about it.

My life doesn't have any real highlights other than that. Sad, I know...

Construction's being help up because of that explosion a while back.

E x p l o s i o n?

It's amazing that people have figured out how to build something that massive on water.

"Bay Warehouse Streets"

Scary song... Anyway, that's it for now. Next up, the Cold Storage Warehouse! :atlus:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I remember the thai restaurant's VA doing a bang-up job in EN too. He just sounds so cheerful.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Yeah, there's a lot of neat characters in this series.

Also this page is getting *long*, we better try to get it to next page.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Quackles posted:

I remember the thai restaurant's VA doing a bang-up job in EN too. He just sounds so cheerful.

"Sawatdee Kraup!"

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

"Private video"

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Magnetite is also an incredibly common iron ore and I prefer the idea of demons asking to be paid in pellets of ore ready to be tossed in a steel mill.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Quackles posted:

"Private video"

I may be stupid, try now.

SIGSEGV posted:

Magnetite is also an incredibly common iron ore and I prefer the idea of demons asking to be paid in pellets of ore ready to be tossed in a steel mill.

Considering Life Stones also exist in this game, that could be entirely possible.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TomatoPawah posted:

I may be stupid, try now.

OK, that's pretty good. I still think the EN VA added the perfect amount of ham to his Thai food, though.

Frozenen
Nov 6, 2022
I love how all the shopkeepers are aggressively weird, except for the pharmacy having the most normal guy and shop.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

hell yeahhhhhh a megaten lp!!! man the last time i played SH was like, maybe 9 years ago?? wow.....

ringo and sh2 seem cool too also... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Frozenen posted:

I love how all the shopkeepers are aggressively weird, except for the pharmacy having the most normal guy and shop.

The Thai Food guy is aggressively cheerful.

Booky posted:

hell yeahhhhhh a megaten lp!!! man the last time i played SH was like, maybe 9 years ago?? wow.....

ringo and sh2 seem cool too also... :v:

Ringo is cool, probably one of the few things about SH2 I genuinely enjoyed. I don't know if I'll ever do a SH2 LP, but who knows? :shrug: