Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The 2023 season is officially over! Some people are getting ready for the draft, others for the playoffs, and a special few are just happy they don't have to watch or think about their team for 5-8 months. I thought it'd be fun to let the forum vote on who they think did the best and worst during the 2023 season! I've got 4 sections - one for coaches, one for rookies, one for the players at large, and then a final section for the feel good stories etc.

Click here to vote!

To explain some categories, the draft disappointment section includes players that were doing great and got hurt - and the disappointment comes from not getting to see them play a full season. Not that the player themselves is a disappointment. I didn't do ranked voting for coaches because I don't think people will have strong enough opinions on coaches beyond "BAD" or "GOOD". I'll let the whims of fate determine the top 5.

The coaches section allows you to vote for up to 5 people! Don't feel like you have to vote for that many if you don't think that many were that good/bad. The Rookies section is one vote per category. The MVP section is ranked voting, where 1st place is worth five points, 2nd place four points, 3rd place three points, 4th place two points, and 5th place one point. The most points is what crowns the winner.

I'm not perfect and may not have a player/coach included in a category because I'm dumb, not because I hate your team or player or whatever. If you let me know to include someone else - I will try to. Besides, it's supposed to be for fun.

I'll flip a coin to determine tiebreakers for first place only. Two people stuck at 2nd will both have to live with both being the 2nd worst or best.

Finally, if you have an idea for another category - please let me know. I wanted to do one for funniest moment of 2023 or like best catch but don't know enough off the top of my head.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Fun!

Might want to include DaRon Bland among the DPotY choices. 9 INT/5 pick sixes.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

fartknocker posted:

Fun!

Might want to include DaRon Bland among the DPotY choices. 9 INT/5 pick sixes.

drat, yeah can't believe I forgot about him. I remember trying to put him in rookie section and found out he's year 2...yet somehow forgot to put him in dpoy. He's added now.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
That last section was TOUGH to choose from

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

This will be fun!

re MVP:
As soon as I saw Trent Williams I already knew who would win the crown

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 10, 2024

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I feel like CeeDee Lamb should be on the OPOTY listing.

I also refused to vote for any QB's on OPOTY and any non-QB's on MVP.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
This was fun, good idea.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Kalli posted:

Nice Catch

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Kalli posted:

I just added him if anyone would like to go back and redo theirs.

Already have 13 votes in! Some interesting results so far! Offensive rookie is currently tied and defensive rookie is not who I'd thought would win!

Mvp is a close race between two players right now, with several others all in the running for third.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kalli posted:

This is the way.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

:) i had a lovely time voting on the awards.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 10, 2024

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

another anotine winfield snub smdh

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

kidcoelacanth posted:

Hes now added!

Kalli posted:

Before this post, the non QBs were running away with mvp, and now the QBs are in the firm lead lol.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

In.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kidcoelacanth posted:

How does this keep happening?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Why is Rodgers listed for the FAs when he was a trade?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

MrLogan posted:

Why is Rodgers listed for the FAs when he was a trade?

Was that not explained by the "(I'm counting it)"??

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
And I'm here reading the thread title thinking it's going to be about best posts

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

MaximilianK posted:

And I'm here reading the thread title thinking it's going to be about best posts

That's what I was hoping tbh. I'll go vote for Lamar anyway though.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

MaximilianK posted:

You find em for me and I'll put them in the poll.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

really queer Christmas posted:

You find em for me and I'll put them in the poll.

For your consideration:

fartknocker posted:

gently caress the Cowboys

If I can't nominate myself, I'll go with this:

Quiet Feet posted:

gently caress the Cowboys.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

We're up to 49 votes! I'll go ahead and close this tomorrow night so we can have the results before the playoffs start.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Solid poll but I'm slightly disappointed in the "most disappointing rookie" section where Gonzalez and Richardson are listed but they actually looked pretty great until the injury. Meanwhile, someone like Tyree Wilson (#7 overall ) played the whole season and the only notable thing he did was wear a baller rear end suit on draft night, otherwise he was completely invisible.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

fartknocker posted:

For your consideration:

If I can't nominate myself, I'll go with this:

Thank you! It's an honor just to be nominated.

gently caress the Cowboys.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shinji2015 posted:

That last section was TOUGH to choose from

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

And voting is closed! Thank you all for participating! I was worried this would be dumb but if it was, I got 60 people to waste some time too! Again, I'm sorry for not having some people on the list from the start - I really don't mean anything by it. I filled out the names of players/coaches I could remember and then started googling to bring up other names (Mike Evans deserved a slot on OPOY imo and I just straight up forgot to include him - even if the outcome for that category was already decided).

Anyway, enough of that. Here's the results!

For the top coordinator of 2023... TFF chose these people:

1. Ben Johnson (27 votes - 45% of respondents)
2. Bobby Slowik (16 votes - 27% of respondents)
2. Jim Schwartz (16 votes - 27% of respondents)
4. Mike Macdonald (15 votes - 25% of respondents)
5. Todd Monken (14 votes - 23% of respondents)

No surprise in this top 5. All of these coordinators are getting head coaching interviews this month and all are in the playoffs. We've got 3 offensive guys and 2 defensive guys in there, so that's a good showing by both sides of the ball!

For the worst coordinator of 2023... TFF chose these unlucky people:

1. Sean Desai/Matt Patricia (36 votes - 60% of respondents)
2. Matt Canada (27 votes - 45% of respondents)
3. Nathaniel Hackett (22 votes - 37% of respondents)
4. Luke Getsy (11 votes - 18% of respondents)
4. Joe Barry (11 votes - 18% of respondents)

My favorite result of this voting was that despite this being a "choose as many as you want" type of vote, 12 people only selected Matt Patricia and left all others blank. Joe Barry also got very few votes until late in the voting, which surprised me at first. Another interesting result - of people who selected 3 or more coaches, NONE had the same ballot. Also, Aaron Glenn received no votes. Congrats Lions fans, you have a good defensive coordinator after all.

For the coach of the year 2023... TFF chose:

1. DeMeco Ryans (32 votes - 53% of respondents)
2. Dan Campbell (22 votes - 37% of respondents)
3. Kevin Stefanski (21 votes - 35% of respondents)
4. John Harbaugh (12 votes - 20% of respondents)
5-T. Mike Tomlin (11 votes -18% of respondents)
5-T. Kyle Shanahan (11 votes - 18% of respondents)

This is one of those votes I think are swayed by narrative and recency bias. If the browns end up winning tomorrow, Stefanski would probably overcome DeMeco in people's eyes, for example.

And for worst coach? I don't think anyone will be shocked to learn it was...

1. Josh McDaniels (34 votes - 57% of respondents)
2. Arthur Smith (26 votes - 43% of respondents)
3. Brandon Staley (23 votes - 38% of respondents)
4. Robert Saleh (15 votes - 25% of respondents)
5. Dennis Allen (13 votes - 22% of respondents)

Get hosed Dennis. You placed higher than Frank Reich. Shoutout to the three people who voted for John Harbaugh, two of whom voted for no one else. And one brave soul who voted for him and Arthur Smith. The real champions though?

:patriot:

THE ROOKIES

This was an actual tug of war for quite a while. Until the vote count went into the 40s, this could have gone to either Puka or CJ. But Stroud pulled it out in the end, and with over 50% of the votes! Rooting for you tomorrow :unsmith:

This race, meanwhile, ended in a tie! So to determine the winner, I will flip a coin. I want the first Lions or Texans fan to see this post and then call a side of the coin, and I'll flip to determine the winner.

This one, was never close. Puka ran away with this one, and its very justly deserved.

As is, uh, this one. Poor Bryce.

THE PLAYERS

Finally for the most exciting stuff, what you posters think are the top players in the league for the 2023 season. Going in order, for Offensive player of the year, we have...

1. CMC - 227 points
2. Tyreek - 165 points
3. Lamar - 155 points
4. CeeDee - 79 points
5. Purdy - 62 points

CMC had a commanding 29 first place votes. That's the most first place votes of any of the 4 categories! Lamar actually had the 2nd most first place votes but Tyreek had more 2nd and 3rd place votes. Ranked voting baby! Such a pain to calculate...

For defensive player of the year... there's been some arguments already about this. So who does TFF think deserves it? Well, it's...

1. Myles Garrett - 201 points
2. Micah Parsons - 130 points
3. Maxx Crosby - 114 points
4. TJ Watt - 106 points
5. Aidan Hutchinson - 66 points

Myles received 25 first place votes, more than triple that of runner up Micah Parsons. Most people were undecided as to first place, but those who thought it was Garrett were the plurality so he carries the day! My apologies to Bland and Winfield who I wrongfully excluded until a dozen votes or so had already been counted. It wouldn't have been enough to get into top 3, but they could have gotten to 5th (42 and 26 points respectively)

I'm not even going to leave you in suspense for O-linemen it was

1. Trent Williams - 188 points
2. Jason Kelce - 103 points
3. Penei Sewell - 87 points
4. Frank Ragnow - 78 points
5. Lane Johnson - 54 points

Trent received 28 first place votes and crushed this voting. It was literally never in doubt. Dude's phenomenal. Congrats to the Lions for getting two big guys in the top 5. They are the people's team for a reason.

Now then... MVP. This one was a close race for a LONG time. But one candidate started running away with it towards the end... which is fitting for the MVP - who does a lot of running. The MVP for the 2023 season as voted on by TFF is... in descending order...

10. Micah Parsons - 20 points
9. Trent Williams - 42 points
8. Dak Prescott - 44 points
7. Brock Purdy - 59 points
6. Myles Garrett - 65 points
4-T. Josh Allen - 66 points
4-T. Tyreek Hill - 66 points
3. CJ Stroud - 71 points
2. CMC - 139 points
1. Lamar Jackson - 192 points

Lamar received 27 first place votes, with CMC in 2nd with 9... interesting enough, Stroud received no first place votes but had a very even distribution of 2nd - 5th votes which let him pull ahead of the logjam below him.

Finally for the vibes check polls -

No shock here, I know he wasn't really a free agent acquisition, but he was still the most exciting off season addition to a team not through the draft.

Seems like the people have chosen Joe over Baker. Shoutout to the Tommy Cutlets fans, he will not be forgotten :italy:

Finally, yes, despite some fans insistence, everything to do with the lions reporting fiasco is considered the biggest ref blunder in a year with many insane ref blunders. You just know a playoff game is going to be decided on a ref loving up and that sucks to think about when there's some really good games coming up.

Anyway, thank you all for participating! I hope you enjoyed this dumb idea I came up with one night! If you want to see the full results, you can click here or click back on the same link in the OP and click view previous results.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I appreciate this thread. thanks for doing it!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Hey baby I've got a Tiffy for you :pervert:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Mystic Stylez posted:

I appreciate this thread. thanks for doing it!

:emptyquote:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I didn't make the vote window but I would have voted for all the winners so it's okay.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lions fan calls tails for defensive rookie of the year

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

Lions fan calls tails for defensive rookie of the year

Congrats to Will Anderson Jr - the TFF's defensive rookie of the year! Today's just all texans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Damnit