Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"We don't want people in it"
:confused: "I don't know how to make it not put people in it, are you sure you don't want maybe just a few people?"

drat unreasonable clients

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I'm just gonna throw out that it's waaaaay loving harder and much more time consuming to tweak a flat image. Am I correct in assuming AI doesn't use layers?

Yeah, absolutely not. It doesn't even really 'create' in a way where it could make a coherent layered file.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's possible to layer additional generations on top, which draw from the data of the layers below, depending on the tooling. So you can, say, lasso an area with people in it, prompt it as empty and (maybe) get a blob on an additional layer that has them removed.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm just thinking of all the notes you get and it seems... impossible.

"Lighten the shadows 20%."
"We need this scene in daytime pallette A and sunset pallette C."
"Give me one with blue and one with purple lining and we'll choose."
"Add a terminator to the light from the windows."
"We need a 5-point and interior detail on that Jeep turn."
"That chair moves in scene 365, so make sure it's on a breakaway."
"Shot A is door closed and B is door destroyed with floor damage and debris."

Not to mention when your project has its own brush sets, drop-in assets, and you have to make repeating background assets that terminate on the same vanishing point. Working from a finished product on all that would be monstrous.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Das Boo posted:

I'm just gonna throw out that it's waaaaay loving harder and much more time consuming to tweak a flat image. Am I correct in assuming AI doesn't use layers?

Not yet.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Das Boo posted:

I'm just thinking of all the notes you get and it seems... impossible.

"Lighten the shadows 20%."
"We need this scene in daytime pallette A and sunset pallette C."
"Give me one with blue and one with purple lining and we'll choose."
"Add a terminator to the light from the windows."
"We need a 5-point and interior detail on that Jeep turn."
"That chair moves in scene 365, so make sure it's on a breakaway."
"Shot A is door closed and B is door destroyed with floor damage and debris."

Not to mention when your project has its own brush sets, drop-in assets, and you have to make repeating background assets that terminate on the same vanishing point. Working from a finished product on all that would be monstrous.

How long does it take to train a human from infancy until journey artist? Now give Ai dev that much time. That’s the scary part because the Ai never gets old and retires.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Sure, but as long as any human input is necessary, you kinda need to know how to lead it. I would not wanna be the person setting the parameters on a commercial plane's autopilot or be in charge for the assembly line production of nails, for instance. I got no idea what "wrong" even looks like.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah if you're an actual artist you can make an ai image and then slap it into photoshop and do a drawover of the parts that suck poo poo but if you're an idiot hack fraud with no talent there's nothing you can but press the AI diarrhea button over and over praying one of the turds it farts out will be acceptably composed enough to pass off as real art made by someone who isn't an inept moron.

Yeah I’ve done this. It was kinda fun to do. My issue now is on the where the images come from.

The best thing to do with ai is just laugh at how horrific the image is.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

How long does it take to train a human from infancy until journey artist? Now give Ai dev that much time.
No thanks

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yea i'll give the AI devs time.... time to pack up and loving leave!!!!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I don't hate generative AI as a technology. My anger sits where it always has, the billionaire class, who are trying to cram an interesting, possibly useful technology into every space with the express goal of making money above all else regardless of the damage it does. Also some AI artists can be extremely annoying with how full of themselves they are.

Some stuff made with AI stuff is can be neat and I've made some songs for myself as well as some art for a friend's restaurant in their GTA RP server (icons for food items etc), both of which I spent more time in audio/image editors than prompt engineering. The tools are quite terrible, not just in an incompetent way but because their functionality is usually geared for a creation process that's end-to-end generative AI. The most prominent AI music generators, both Suno and Udio, have an interface and "work" flow designed like Spotify, by default you ask it to generate the lyrics for you and this is how it's been sold too. There's a glowy Rolling Stone article with the CEO of Suno and nowhere in it do they even mention that you can supply lyrics, instead they see themselves as a ~new form of democratized music~ where everyone gets bland junk generated from filtered keywords they supply. Features that provide more control and intent are more an afterthought and I see the same approach across most of the AI image generators.

You can make art out of this stuff, you can with just about anything, but most don't try.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 27, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Because they know their audience, and people who actually have existing ideas or want to put in any modicum of effort aren't part of it.

RapTrap
Apr 24, 2024
So apparently Season 2 of Velma came out and In case you were wondering who the big murderer of the season turns out to be, an evil Scrappy Doo. Yes, they're doing that.

His whole deal is that he kills people and tears the balls out because he was involved in this military experiment that went horribly wrong, and he wants to kill everyone involved in it.
He also wants to find Uncle Scooby.

Oh yeah, they're finally going to bring Scooby-Doo into the show.
In case any of you were hoping he would be spared from this piece of a poo poo show, well, too bad.

Turn out Scooby Doo is..... a woman named Sophie.

Now in case you're wondering who the gently caress would watch this show and who the gently caress is Sophie.

To make a long, stupid story short, Sophie was a female military officer who was assigned a job (and I'm not joking when I say this) to observe meddling kids solving mysteries while disguised as a waitress.
She hated the job, but one day, while observing kids watching dog videos, she had the idea of creating a talking dog (there was also this side plot of being Velma's stepmom, but it ultimately doesn't matter because nothing matters in this show).

She then disguised herself as a leather man in a mask to get her project going.

Why the disguised, you may ask?
Because this show likes to pretend women have it so much harder than men do despite the fact they constantly bring up that women the most brilliant beings in the world, yet they still like to pretend they're victims of an oppressive society despite them taking every opportunity to poo poo on men for free, epically Fred the only character they didn't race swap.

Anyways, to get back on track, her big project of creating talking dogs went to poo poo when Scrappy kept killing people, and the army couldn't kill him because, apparently, he's bulletproof (don't try making sense of this, the writers certainly didn't) Sophie would then spend all her time covering up all of the Scrappy murders and then try to escape to protect her family.

So after the mystery was revealed, they basically changed EVERYTHING about Scooby.
Scrappy tries to kill everyone, but through the power of bullshit and plot contrivance, they finally kill him.
But not only does Scrappy die, but Velma does as well.

Yeah, she dies!
The show kills her off and then has her kill Scrappy as a ghost. Oh and the original designs of Daphne and Velma appear in one episode.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
sounds bad, thank you for the summary

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That Twitter thread makes me worried because there's a lot of stuff in there that's already been passed. You can lock elements of generation to use the same seeds so those things come out the same. You can select areas of an image and call inpaint prompts on just that, both just to go 'have another go at this thing, it looks weird', or to regenerate it with a directed prompt on what to change/replace/remove or how you want it modified. Be wary, this stuff is moving fast.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 27, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MikeJF posted:

That Twitter thread makes me worried because there's a lot of stuff in there that's already been passed. You can lock elements of generation to use the same seeds so those things come out the same. You can select areas of an image and call inpaint prompts on just that, both just to go 'have another go at this thing, it looks weird', or to regenerate it with a directed prompt on what to change/replace/remove or how you want it modified. Be wary, this stuff is moving fast.

TBH one of my takeaways from Late Night With the Devil was how many people didn't notice the terrible art until it was pointed out to them.

It might not matter if it doesn't produce work that's not dog poo poo, so long as its good enough for the audience that doesn't pay attention.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also if it costs less to replace a team of digital artists with a half a dozen AI guys and one photoshop guy who does nothing but cleanups and tweaks, that's what they'll do and it'll still suck for artists.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Schwarzwald posted:

TBH one of my takeaways from Late Night With the Devil was how many people didn't notice the terrible art until it was pointed out to them.

It might not matter if it doesn't produce work that's not dog poo poo, so long as its good enough for the audience that doesn't pay attention.

having finally watched late night with the devil I fully believe the people they hired to work on the film and used ai did so to be creative and test out new tech and not as way to bypass hiring someone.

Why did it look bad? Because every graphic and photoshop in the film looked really bad lol.

Like there was multiple photos they showed which depicted events with the actors and they were supposed to be era specific or something but they didn’t blend them right or something because you could immediately just tell they just cut and pasted someone without properly blending everything.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

why would you hatewatch velma.
like that's the whole reason this show exists, it's to be hatewatched, don't give them the satisfaction/encouragement.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

like that's the whole reason this show exists, it's to be hatewatched, don't give them the satisfaction/encouragement.

Hatewatching is the entire reason a second season even got greenlit as I understand it, it still makes the numbers go up which therefore convinces the higher ups that the show is worth salvaging.

Anyway, sounds like the second season of Velma is just as lovely as the first if not moreso. Hopefully this won't make it to a third

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Hatewatching is the entire reason a second season even got greenlit as I understand it

Both seasons were probably commissioned together, like pretty much every other animated show ever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Both seasons were probably commissioned together, like pretty much every other animated show ever.

Ah, that makes sense. Still hoping WB kills this one though

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Saw Wish yesterday. Honestly basically nothing happened during the course of that story. The singers hit the tunes well, but the lyrics were bad.
What a waste of a movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

paradoxGentleman posted:

That’s stupid.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Execs don't care about why thought Honestly the spoiler-tagged Velma sounds par for the course for a Mindy Kaling project minus abusing her position as showrunner to sexually harass people.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
why has everyone decided that the hatewatchers made Velma happen vs every other time a bad show gets more seasons. many more people just like bad shows

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

YggiDee posted:

why has everyone decided that the hatewatchers made Velma happen vs every other time a bad show gets more seasons. many more people just like bad shows

The original order was for two seasons so unless they've announced it's being picked up for more seasons I don't think we can say either way what effect the hate watchers had

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Amusingly I think Velma was actually more hateable in Mystery Inc despite that show being infinitely better overall because they made her weirdly jealous of Shaggy and Scooby's relationship. Yes Scooby is a bit clingy, he's intelligent enough to speak, but he's still a loving DOG! She keeps whining after Shaggy breaks up with her that she was dumped for a dog, but first of all Shaggy's relationship with Scooby is completely different as unlike Velma he's not shagging the dog, and secondly he dumped her because she was a poo poo girlfriend, that part had nothing to do with Scooby.

Then after the relationship ends midway through the first season, she has a moment where Scooby is in mortal danger and she actually discusses the idea that letting him die would solve her relationship problem, which it would not because again, SCOOBY ISN'T A SEXUAL RIVAL YOU LUNATIC!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Amusingly I think Velma was actually more hateable in Mystery Inc despite that show being infinitely better overall because they made her weirdly jealous of Shaggy and Scooby's relationship. Yes Scooby is a bit clingy, he's intelligent enough to speak, but he's still a loving DOG! She keeps whining after Shaggy breaks up with her that she was dumped for a dog, but first of all Shaggy's relationship with Scooby is completely different as unlike Velma he's not shagging the dog, and secondly he dumped her because she was a poo poo girlfriend, that part had nothing to do with Scooby.

Then after the relationship ends midway through the first season, she has a moment where Scooby is in mortal danger and she actually discusses the idea that letting him die would solve her relationship problem, which it would not because again, SCOOBY ISN'T A SEXUAL RIVAL YOU LUNATIC!

I reckon that all of that, like a lot of the show, was very tongue in cheek. The show, particularly the first season, is frequently taking the piss out of its leads in ways that I find very funny. They're both the most gosh darned wholesome teenage dorks and also deeply terrible, judgemental, deeply lovely crazy people. Mashing those two things up together ends up being pretty decently funny.

So I think you're meant to be laughing at Velma, rather than trying to find any psychological clarity in her behaviour.

I know the show has a reputation for being a dark and serious version of the Scooby Saga (or whatever) and it definitely becomes like that towards the end. But I vastly prefer its deeply sarcastic side.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 27, 2024

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I reckon that all of that, like a lot of the show, was very tongue in cheek. The show, particularly the first season, is frequently taking the piss out of its leads in ways that I find very funny. They're both the most gosh darned wholesome teenage dorks and also deeply terrible, judgemental, deeply lovely crazy people. Mashing those two things up together ends up being pretty decently funny.

So I think you're meant to be laughing at Velma, rather than trying to find any psychological clarity in her behaviour.

I know the show has a reputation for being a dark and serious version of the Scooby Saga (or whatever) and it definitely becomes like that towards the end. But I vastly prefer its deeply sarcastic side.

I get that it's meant to be tongue in cheek but I think it's because her behaviour is too realistic to sell it as a joke. Fred's trap obsession goes far enough that it's ridiculous, and Shaggy and Scooby's eating habits have been a recurring joke for decades, but Velma's toxicity doesn't go into the realm of absurd enough for me to not see it as just a toxic person who's just not funny.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly I wouldn’t mind seeing them try to do another Scooby show in the vein of Mystery Inc one day (story driven with actual character development)

Off the subject, a rough animatic of the original pitch pilot for The Owl House has been uncovered:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qAoY9EjWrno

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think overall my favourite aspect of Mystery Inc was that the villains were basically the protagonists, but with their flaws blown up so far they became toxic, with the Fred and Daphne analog being pretty and charming but completely manipulative, so they themselves were practically a human trap even beyond their trap-making skills, the Velma analog was so sure of her own intelligence that she ended up being trusted by no one because she wasn't forthcoming enough, and the Shaggy analog looked exactly like someone with that diet would realistically look, so an obese greasy disgusting misanthrope. I thought that was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I think overall my favourite aspect of Mystery Inc was that the villains were basically the protagonists, but with their flaws blown up so far they became toxic, with the Fred and Daphne analog being pretty and charming but completely manipulative, so they themselves were practically a human trap even beyond their trap-making skills, the Velma analog was so sure of her own intelligence that she ended up being trusted by no one because she wasn't forthcoming enough, and the Shaggy analog looked exactly like someone with that diet would realistically look, so an obese greasy disgusting misanthrope. I thought that was cool.

The Shaggy analogue being voiced by Patton Oswolt was also an inspired choice (as was the Scooby analogue being a highly intelligent evil bird)

Also is that the only series where we ever met the gang’s families?