Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Old movies coming to theaters for the first time, new sequels too!

Welcome to the animated movies (and sometimes TV shows) for 2024!

Current Movies
Turning Red
Peppa's Cinema Party
Snoopy Presents: Welcome Home, Franklin (Apple TV+ Only)
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu No Yaiba - To the Hashira Training
Megamind vs The Doom Syndicate (Peacock Only)
Kung Fu Panda 4

Upcoming Movies
Luca - (US, Mar 22, 2024)
Dragonkeeper - (US, Apr 5, 2024)
The Garfield Movie - (US, May 24, 2024)
Inside Out 2 - (US, Jun 14, 2024)
Despicable Me 4 - (US, Jul 3, 2024)
Harold and the Purple Crayon - (US, Aug 2, 2024)
Transformers One - (US, Sep 13, 2024)
Moana 2 (US, Nov 27, 2024)
The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim - (US, Dec 13, 2024)
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (US, Dec 20, 2024)
Mufasa: The Lion King - (US, Dec 20, 2024)
DOG MAN (US, January 31, 2025)

Previous Movies
Migration
The Boy and the Heron
The Inseparables
Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part 1
The Peasants
Orion and the Dark
Jungle Bunch: Operation Meltdown

Unknown Dates (US)
Giants of La Mancha
The Day the Earth Blew Up: A Looney Tunes Movie
Fixed
The Imaginary
In Your Dreams
Doraemon: Nobita's Earth Symphony
The Magnificent Life of Marcel Pagnol
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Freedom
Night of the Zoopocalypse
Saving Bikini Bottom: The Sandy Cheeks Movie
Spellbound
That Christmas
Thelma the Unicorn
The Tiger's Apprentice
Trouble
Ultraman Rising
The Wild Robot
The Amazing World of Gumball Movie
Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part 2

Old Threads:
Want to look back on the classics such as Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse, The Little Mermaid, or The Lion King? Here are the old threads.

2020 - 2023
2017 - 2018

Check the archives for the rest!

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

[More space here]

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

A-NI-MA-TION
RULES THE NA-TION

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Looks like it's going to be kind of a weak year for animation compared to 2023. Nothing was ever going to complete with a lineup headlined by Miyazaki and Spiderverse, but drat.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
This article lists a few more films scheduled to come out this year, a lot of which I haven't heard of. It includes The Day the Earth Blew Up: A Looney Tunes Movie, and Fixed, an R-rated film directed by Genndy Tartakovsky. Also worth keeping an eye out for is Coyote vs. Acme, which is currently being shopped after Zaslav tried and somehow failed to kill it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And Across the Spider-verse rereleases on Jan 19th to bump up the numbers. :toot:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That loony tunes movie is a movie that's... coming out? This year? And isn't being canceled? Where's the advertisements for the movie? Where's the marketing? Even if that's not out til the very end of the year, that post should not be the first I'm hearing of this film

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The_Doctor posted:

And Across the Spider-verse rereleases on Jan 19th to bump up the numbers. :toot:

That soon?! I thought it had been delayed.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

...wait, I thought Turning Red had come out already?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Samovar posted:

That soon?! I thought it had been delayed.

Across, not Beyond.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

paradoxGentleman posted:

turning redder

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of Miyazaki, watch some Lupin the Third this year folks!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macaluso posted:

That loony tunes movie is a movie that's... coming out? This year? And isn't being canceled?

well I wouldn't get ahead of myself on that last one

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

It did but now it's getting a brief theatrical run.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

It did but now it's getting a brief theatrical run.

See also: Luca and Soul

Which is good because they all deserved it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I had actually forgotten they were making another Garfield movie (though this one at least isn't live action)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

readingatwork posted:

See also: Luca and Soul

Which is good because they all deserved it.

They aren't marketing them though of course so they're probably not gonna do great

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Larryb posted:

I had actually forgotten they were making another Garfield movie (though this one at least isn't live action)

still waiting for this spinoff

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Macaluso posted:

They aren't marketing them though of course so they're probably not gonna do great

Yea, Soul opened at #20 over the weekend which is real dire. Especially considering it played in 1,350 theaters. Honestly impressive to be that far down while playing in that many theaters.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i imagine that most people who wanted to see it already streamed it, can't say im to suprised

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I will not underestimate Disney's ability to take away the dumbest possible lesson from any situation, but I do hope they weren't expecting big numbers from the Pixar re-releases. Honestly even under the best circumstances I kinda think I'd rather watch them at home on a nice 4K TV. They probably look better that way than on a lot of theater projectors.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

also most reviews i've seen describe soul as kind of bad

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

paradoxGentleman posted:

also most reviews i've seen describe soul as kind of bad
I was up for a movie about jazz with a black lead and then he spends like 70% of it as a cat with a famous white lady's voice in his body instead.
Same problem I had with Princess and the Frog. Just an odd decision to do these transformation stories. Plus, I wouldn't really say it stuck the landing with its message/moral.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Turning Red immediately became my favorite Pixar movie and I want that movie to do well so I can get more Turning Reds :saddowns:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just found Soul utterly mediocre, which is iirc the worst thing any movie can be. I'd rather laugh at a bad one than yawn through a boring one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macaluso posted:

That loony tunes movie is a movie that's... coming out? This year? And isn't being canceled? Where's the advertisements for the movie? Where's the marketing? Even if that's not out til the very end of the year, that post should not be the first I'm hearing of this film

Was that the one Zaslav wrote off and then un-wrote off because directors and writers cancelled meetings with WB not wanting to spend years working on movies that would be thrown in the vault and never see the light of day?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This article lists a few more films scheduled to come out this year, a lot of which I haven't heard of. It includes The Day the Earth Blew Up: A Looney Tunes Movie, and Fixed, an R-rated film directed by Genndy Tartakovsky. Also worth keeping an eye out for is Coyote vs. Acme, which is currently being shopped after Zaslav tried and somehow failed to kill it.

Adding these to the OP. Thanks!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was that the one Zaslav wrote off and then un-wrote off because directors and writers cancelled meetings with WB not wanting to spend years working on movies that would be thrown in the vault and never see the light of day?

No that was Coyote Vs ACME which as far as I know is still cancelled

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

There are a ton more movies added to the OP but a lot of them are unknown dates and don't have trailers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The New York bits of Soul are truly gorgeous and evocative of the city. Joe walking along with coffee at the end, and you can just tell it’s a bit chilly, but still a lovely day. That’s so well realised, it’s just a shame the rest of the movie is pretty mediocre and set in blobby soft afterlife space with blobby shapeless people.

The soundtrack is very good, shout out to both Jon Batiste and the Reznor/Ross hybrid.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Larryb posted:

No that was Coyote Vs ACME which as far as I know is still cancelled

It's not quite cancelled but it's still in limbo - there were more than a few big names like James Gunn who were upset at the film being cancelled (especially when it was already finished and screening well with test audiences), so Zaslav had to walk it back and promise to shop the film to other studios for distribution. Probably gonna end up with either Netflix or Paramount.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The_Doctor posted:

The New York bits of Soul are truly gorgeous and evocative of the city. Joe walking along with coffee at the end, and you can just tell it’s a bit chilly, but still a lovely day. That’s so well realised, it’s just a shame the rest of the movie is pretty mediocre and set in blobby soft afterlife space with blobby shapeless people.

The soundtrack is very good, shout out to both Jon Batiste and the Reznor/Ross hybrid.

Soul feels like Coco for people who watch PBS. Or perhaps for people who actually listen to Jon Batiste albums. I still like it quite a bit (in the same way that I like Jon Batiste) but it feels a little too... whatever that is.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 16, 2024

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/slybash/status/1747072913654874215?t=MVaB8evlLqnYGYSLkA31vA&s=19

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I know the bar has been considerablely lowered, but it's still incredible to tell such an obvious lie.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Lying on your resume is usually a great idea, but it is possible to overshoot.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

I'm going to hell.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol the Tommy tallarico of animation

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Here's more info but extremely lol at this very easy to debunk lie https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1747242092102050276?t=5sZJ60iUmVLliX3fGSHVAw&s=19

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I’m late to the party on this but just saw Wish and wow, y’all were right on about the “we’re trying to do Lin Manuel Miranda but have no idea how” point. All the songs just sort of happen and all sound the same. The movie itself never really stops moving but it never feels like it’s actually going anywhere, and the goat is the most tacked funny character. Like he made me laugh cause it’s Clayface but it also felt at the expense of the movie and never with it. Big punch up energy with him. Really hope Disney gets its animation movie division poo poo together because they have been stuck in such a dud zone of creativity for a while now.
Also, side note question: they showed constellations for all the mainline Disney animated movies over the credits and I swear they skipped over the Rescuers movies, did I just miss them? They’re my favorites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Kermit The Grog posted:

Also, side note question: they showed constellations for all the mainline Disney animated movies over the credits and I swear they skipped over the Rescuers movies, did I just miss them? They’re my favorites

They probably did, Rescuers, Great Mouse Detective and Oliver & Company tend to get overlooked a lot.