Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Black Sunshine posted:

Is It possible to love BBQ AND care about your family or are they mutually exclusive things?

Just gotta give your family the money to start a BBQ restaurant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Black Sunshine posted:

Is It possible to love BBQ AND care about your family or are they mutually exclusive things?

that's a tough question. mulling it over, i'd say bbq the family and if you still love bbq then it means you also love your family.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

There are hundreds of ways you can assist family without ending up broke and destitute if you have anything approaching real money. The problem is that they don't help people in the slightly slower but far more effective long term ways. They buy three houses. They buy five cars and give cash away for people to start businesses and other stupid poo poo like that. There is a line between not helping anyone and being cold and selfish and not ending up broke.

The problem is young men think they're invincible and athletes think they're infallible and their hangers on think they've hit the lottery when they hit big.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

BlindSite posted:

There are hundreds of ways you can assist family without ending up broke and destitute if you have anything approaching real money. The problem is that they don't help people in the slightly slower but far more effective long term ways. They buy three houses. They buy five cars and give cash away for people to start businesses and other stupid poo poo like that. There is a line between not helping anyone and being cold and selfish and not ending up broke.

The problem is young men think they're invincible and athletes think they're infallible and their hangers on think they've hit the lottery when they hit big.

After college, my friend got a had a great opportunity that eventually turned into a great job with huge pay. He grew up in poverty and felt like he had to help his family. So he did the smart thing: bought a bunch of houses. Now he didn't give them the houses, they live on his property for reduced rent so it stretches their normal income. They still work and have responsibilities but aren't in the danger zone anymore. I think he's doing it the right way because the worst case scenario is he still owns property.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

fartknocker posted:

gently caress the Cowboys

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

BlindSite posted:

The other problem is that those same young men have zero financial aptitude for the *how* part of helping out anyone in need, if they're coming out of generational poverty, which is branching off into a different topic than the raw idea of helping family being a mistake.

I also brought that up thinking way more about the low-mid tier player who's gonna be lucky to even hit a 2nd contract and lock down generational wealth. You've probably gotta gently caress up along the way to burn 8 figure type money, but if it gets much lower than that, you're in trouble fast if you had a league average career and have league average prospects on what you're going to do after football.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The337th posted:

The other problem is that those same young men have zero financial aptitude for the *how* part of helping out anyone in need, if they're coming out of generational poverty, which is branching off into a different topic than the raw idea of helping family being a mistake.

I also brought that up thinking way more about the low-mid tier player who's gonna be lucky to even hit a 2nd contract and lock down generational wealth. You've probably gotta gently caress up along the way to burn 8 figure type money, but if it gets much lower than that, you're in trouble fast if you had a league average career and have league average prospects on what you're going to do after football.

I don't know if the NFL and if MLB still do this, but it used to be that all rookies had to go through mandatory financial literacy classes around the start of camp, basically explaining to these players that they have newfound generational wealth and it's easy to blow it all very, very quickly during your first contract (especially explaining just how much comes out of their contracts, between taxes, agent fees, management fees, etc.). MLB players, especially international ones, are preyed upon even more; it's not uncommon for them to be conned into signing as much as 35 percent of their lifetime earnings to the agent who plucked them out of the DR or Cuba or whatever.

With NFL players, especially, a lot of them are the first in their families to go to school, and then they get handed mega-deals, more money than they've ever seen in their lives. And then the family and the hangers-on come, and Mom wants a new garage and sister needs a new car and Uncle Jim has a really great idea for a restaurant, he's got a solid business plan, honest, he just needs some investment money for the property and the capital to keep things going for six months while the place gets running and up on its feet and before you know it, that $17 million signing bonus is long gone, Uncle Jim needs another four months of operating money because the place just isn't getting the crowds he expected, your other sister now expects a car, and, welp, your career went sideways and it looks like you're not getting that fifth-year option and you're looking at signing somewhere for league-minimum.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 3, 2024

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Timby posted:

I don't know if the NFL and if MLB still do this, but it used to be that all rookies had to go through mandatory financial literacy classes around the start of camp, basically explaining to these players that they have newfound generational wealth and it's easy to blow it all very, very quickly during your first contract (especially explaining just how much comes out of their contracts, between taxes, agent fees, management fees, etc.).

With NFL players, especially, a lot of them are the first in their families to go to school, and then they get handed mega-deals, more money than they've ever seen in their lives. And then the family and the hangers-on come, and Mom wants a new garage and sister needs a new car and Uncle Jim has a really great idea for a restaurant, he's got a solid business plan, honest, he just needs some investment money for the property and the capital to keep things going for six months while the place gets running and up on its feet and before you know it, that $17 million signing bonus is long gone, Uncle Jim needs another four months of operating money because the place just isn't getting the crowds he expected, your other sister now expects a car, and, welp, your career went sideways and it looks like you're not getting that fifth-year option and you're looking at signing somewhere for league-minimum.

A one off financial literacy class isn't gonna add up to much against what your long term exposure to understanding finances was. People just repeat learned behavior on money like they would anything, which helps feed the whole generational poverty problem outside of the systemic part of the problem. If you grow up around people with means who are protective of that wealth you'll likely have some learned instinct for also protecting your wealth, and you'll actually have older relatives who have the knowledge to at least try to prevent you from loving it up in the first place.

It's better than nothing to take a shot at waking up some 22 year old to the reality of how fast that money can evaporate, but it can only do so much. Maybe if the players were getting more of their deserved slice of the pie it wouldn't be quite as crucial for a brief crash course to save them from helping family wrong.

It's also not mom needing a new garage if you're talking real poverty, it's mom being in an unsustainable living situation that *needs* to be solved, and if it's mom in that situation then its probably also siblings and grandma and so on for people who aren't just some fringe grifter family member. There's a difference between wanting a new car and not even having reliable transportation it takes to survive. Luxury poo poo is an entirely different issue that doesn't fit a conversation about athletes coming out of generational poverty.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The337th posted:

A one off financial literacy class isn't gonna add up to much against what your long term exposure to understanding finances was. People just repeat learned behavior on money like they would anything, which helps feed the whole generational poverty problem outside of the systemic part of the problem. If you grow up around people with means who are protective of that wealth you'll likely have some learned instinct for also protecting your wealth, and you'll actually have older relatives who have the knowledge to at least try to prevent you from loving it up in the first place.

It's better than nothing to take a shot at waking up some 22 year old to the reality of how fast that money can evaporate, but it can only do so much. Maybe if the players were getting more of their deserved slice of the pie it wouldn't be quite as crucial for a brief crash course to save them from helping family wrong.

It's also not mom needing a new garage if you're talking real poverty, it's mom being in an unsustainable living situation that *needs* to be solved, and if it's mom in that situation then its probably also siblings and grandma and so on for people who aren't just some fringe grifter family member. There's a difference between wanting a new car and not even having reliable transportation it takes to survive. Luxury poo poo is an entirely different issue that doesn't fit a conversation about athletes coming out of generational poverty.

It wouldn't, players end up broke for the same reasons the numbers they burn through just go up.

It's an education, culture and discipline problem. A single seminar isn't enough to make someone financially literate, but it's enough to make someone realise they don't know what they're doing and should break off a small percentage of that nest egg to ensure their future and their families' future is secure.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

fartknocker posted:

I know what will unite the Pro Bowl thread and restore peace:

Now and forever friend.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

BlindSite posted:

It wouldn't, players end up broke for the same reasons the numbers they burn through just go up.

It's an education, culture and discipline problem. A single seminar isn't enough to make someone financially literate, but it's enough to make someone realise they don't know what they're doing and should break off a small percentage of that nest egg to ensure their future and their families' future is secure.

It's also poorly timed with dudes going pro and having a million other things going on in their lives/careers, almost like it's not a realistic way to intervene and wake someone up to the existence of financial literacy if they aren't already aware of the concept. Great for the fraction it hits for, but it's a joke to pretend that's succeeding as a preventative measure for a sudden windfall landing in the lap of someone from poverty.

Whether it's a well intentioned response to watching someone close to you languish in poverty your whole life, or the stuff like grifters getting in your ear, those things have established way more of a presence than a blip of financial advice. Any grifters that were already around have been planting those seeds from the moment one of these guys were a highly touted recruit.

Also, the part about the bigger piece of the pie is specifically for this subject of players who are trying to solve a poverty problem for those in their immediate lives. It absolutely could and would help with that, not every example of broke athletes is the dude who chased multiple grifts, which is what started this whole derail. I know it's real hard for people with no grasp on poverty to imagine having to help out multiple generations of family if you end up as the one with means to, but it's a real phenomena no matter how many times it gets conflated with luxuries and bad investments.

The337th fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 3, 2024

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

da bears

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Maybe they could just all live with the Blind Side lady

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/Buccaneers/status/1753511360355307635

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

a neat cape posted:

It's been the offseason for months

this is the truth

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You either believe there is an off season or you don’t.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
N: Pro

V: Bowel???

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

fartknocker posted:

I know what will unite the Pro Bowl thread and restore peace:

Makes sense to me!

Dan Quinn is gonna be the WFT Jason Garret and will lead the team to two 8-9 seasons and two 9-8 seasons.

They will win the NFCE twice.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

KC wins so many BBQ festival awards they're now kinda considered the ruling class of BBQ and Joe's is pretty much clout chasing at this point.

Man when I'm at the fair and they constantly cut to the celebrity cheering on her boyfriend in overalls but no shirt smoking brisket it's extremely cringe. We don't need this just show us BBQ

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Sherman_FFB/status/1753460701245427890

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

kiimo posted:

Lol they are putting all of the media for the Super Bowl in the Luxor.

Feel like...like you probably could have done better than that. I kind of like the interior but the outside is hypodermic needle city. Things get sketch on that end
I think the idea is you don't have to go outside at all to get to the stadium, there's a tunnel connecting it (or Mandalay Bay, I forget) to Allegiant Stadium going under I-15.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The NFL cabal is going to order a shitload of rain to clear out the Tunnel People in Vegas this week.

it's already on the way

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1753543960532791788?s=46

You know, maybe the pro bowl truly doesn’t matter. :thunk:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nickoledeon cast is gonna bring out a performance of spongebobs sweet victory song

Sick

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I guess people like Zamir White should just let their siblings fight for themselves when they make it to the NFL.

https://theathletic.com/5166671/2023/12/29/raiders-zamir-white-josh-jacobs/

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

getting ready for the pro bowl

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Saw the explosion of posts and thought something cool happened in the pro bowl. Disappointment 😞

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Amy Pole Her posted:

Saw the explosion of posts and thought something cool happened in the pro bowl. Disappointment 😞

you know such a thing is impossible

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

it’s time for the most watched event of the season, the pro bowl (games)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Amy Pole Her posted:

The clip of that one dude getting rocked at the goal line from last year that they use all the time is the only compelling footage and is directly against the spirit of the game they're aiming for. It's a mini encapsulation of the NFL.

N:

V: Rated Mostly True as Toney could theoretically not muff anything sent his way.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They seriously should just make it flag football at this point.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

It is..

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol I completely missed that the actual game was indeed changed among all the skill contests or whatever.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Every time I see Ray Lewis I’m reminded that he definitely didn’t kill no mothafuckin lion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

JPrime posted:

you know such a thing is impossible

Honestly I thought someone got injured or something weird happened but instead it’s just one dude with really poor reading comprehension. Which is better than an injury at least!