Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝
most paper bags and those thick 5 cent plastic bags they have nowadays can be reused at least a couple times, don't see why you'd take them home and immediately throw them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Chief McHeath posted:

that isn’t their job you loving dick, eat poo poo

Appearantly it literally is. There's a video of the service with them smiling and everything so you know they like it.

Weirdly, in the 2000s there was a medium sized supermarket where I live that had this service and the guy would actually come into your kitchen table if you wanted, up flights of stairs and deliver. Without tip. And no charge on the bill. Very small rural town though, where you know everyone. They still got closed when ASDA, the uk walmart showed up. He used good ol fashioned plastic bags and all the kids in town would call him "Strawberry" because his face was constantly red from all the work he did. I think I just remembered when slaves were still a thing on reflection. He'd always get christmas boxes from people, well loved, just not tipped. But christ I wouldn't inflict that on even a medium sized town's delivery people.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Saalkin posted:

Can 3O get probed every time he shows us a new way he's a piece of poo poo?

he can, and must

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I use collapsible plastic creates. I can fit them in the back of my tiny car. There's no reason to regularly consume shopping bags, plastic or paper.

That said some times those bags are useful. Just don't throw them away if you can avoid.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
i bust out a pair of JNCOs and fill the pockets

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i’m way less concerned about a few thin plastic bags discarded per week than the insane amount of food packaging that goes into the waste every day

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

i’m way less concerned about a few thin plastic bags discarded per week than the insane amount of food packaging that goes into the waste every day
we need to return to the old ways

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sosage

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
:cool: : "Interested in a paper or plastic bag?"
:v: : "Burlap."
:fuckoff:

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

The Grimace posted:

:cool: : "Interested in a paper or plastic bag?"
:v: : "Burlap."
:fuckoff:

I had a guy buying used potato sacks off me for $5 piece back when I worked produce, I wasn't even trying to sell them dude just rocked up one day and offered me money.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Three Olives posted:

They do, they are used for the cat box. But we just bought a new freezer and refrigerator for the garage so the grocery delivery people can put the groceries away for us, so I think they will stop using bags? I dunno, haven't done it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_zmtsE22dU

Omgggggggggggggg

Every single loving thread

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

bitterandtwisted posted:

R̷̛̲͚̻̖̻̯̀̃̈̍̓̓͘Ǒ̵̧̺̲͕̬̈̉͋̉̌́̑̾͑͗̚͘̕͝Ŗ̷̛͈͎̠͉̻̬̱̻̞̗̙̅́̂̈́̊͆͜ͅS̸͎͉̜̜̥̖̻͂̇̆͐̚T̶̢̡̪̮̱͇̹̟̮̲̱͎͛̈̉͗̏̓̋́͗̚̚͜
BEEF

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

I also use plastic bags for cat shot. Sometimes I wonder if they won’t end up being perfectly preserved specimens for a future civilization to study. You can learn a lot about society by inspecting their felines crap

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Piss.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
gently caress i mean paper, obviously - even though its like way worse for the environment than that single drop of sweet sweet dino ground cum it'd have taken to make a microplastics dispenser

we're hosed all ways!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just don't get bags at all. When they scan the items we just put them back in the cart, then in a collapsible box in my trunk. These are going straight to my house and being put away anyway, I don't need bags to transfer from the cart to my trunk and don't need them for the 10 foot walk from my driveway to my kitchen

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

bitterandtwisted posted:

Interesting that the chicken salad is the most expensive

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
I transport my groceries in single use baby seal pelt bags I have clubbed to order and then flown in on a private jet

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

there’s this store in town that sells nothing but bulk loose household cleaning stuff. shampoo, floor cleaner, laundry detergent. gotta bring your own containers

seems like a pretty good idea. would switch a bunch of my shopping there, except everything costs 3 to 4 times what it would in a store that uses packaging. makes no sense

the whole place seems to exist solely to assuage the guilt of rich white people. priced so they don’t have to deal with the riffraff stinking up their bourgeois package free shopping experience

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I saw someone using a laundry basket they take with them into the store and place it in the cart, thus, no bags. I kinda want to do something, maybe a little classier with some milk crates maybe?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

why does this thread even exist anyway? the swedes already solved this problem back in the 60s. you gotta be mr burns levels of out of touch to be sleeping on the perfect reusable bag

haven’t had to replace a single one of those suckers in 20 years

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

That's cause those Ikea bags suck. Bad shape, bad handles, bad material.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

No. 6 posted:

I use collapsible plastic creates.

Same. It's the sensible solution. Bag-users willingly choose to live in the greyscale universe seen in home shopping adverts.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

raccoon.bmp posted:

most paper bags and those thick 5 cent plastic bags they have nowadays can be reused at least a couple times, don't see why you'd take them home and immediately throw them away.

If you don't remember to bring them with you you end up with a bunch of them and you have to recycle them at the store not with regular pickup. I have adhd so it's really difficult for me to form new habits. They started the reusable bags like 7 years ago and I still can't remember to just put the bags back in the car when I'm done with them or keep canvas bags in the car.

Most people where I'm at also seem to buy bags every time so it's not just me. It just creates thicker trash and was a stupid idea imo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Can someone just point out how totally insane it is to buy a fridge and a freezer expecting the delivery person who's getting like 6 dollar tip to put that poo poo away.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Can someone just point out how totally insane it is to buy a fridge and a freezer expecting the delivery person who's getting like 6 dollar tip to put that poo poo away.

Anyone that forces a delivery person to come into their house to do that is an rear end in a top hat. Theres no world where you should combine supermarkets and peoples houses.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I make them take their shoes off too

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

:lmao: at people who can’t pick up their own groceries

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

wit posted:

Paper straws however are a ridiculous con on two fronts: 1) They're selling you self destructing items. 2) Its ridiculous lip service to tackling sea plastics given the real issue is the fishing industry which nobody has any intention of tackling.
I recently got takeout from a place that served its drinks in plastic cups with plastic lids, and the straws were paper. There was even a sign saying that plastic straws were available but you had to ask the staff for one.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Hollismason posted:

https://www.walmart.com/plus/inhome

Mind you, I have yet to actually sign up for this additional service but they are full time employees hired for this specific task that drive around in an EV van, they aren't gig workers driving their own cars for tips.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I suspect that the straw thing whereby you can only get a paper straw is merely a test. Lots of people talk about incongruencies like serving a paper straw with plastic cups and extra thick plastic bags rather than going purely paper when it's not really about being consistent at all, I suspect it's about pushing people to change even in small ways. We've been on a trajectory where any inconvenience or limitation on our daily patterns is seen as some kind of injustice or governmental overreach so turning that cart around is going to a bitter battle.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Tarkus posted:

I suspect that the straw thing whereby you can only get a paper straw is merely a test. Lots of people talk about incongruencies like serving a paper straw with plastic cups and extra thick plastic bags rather than going purely paper when it's not really about being consistent at all, I suspect it's about pushing people to change even in small ways. We've been on a trajectory where any inconvenience or limitation on our daily patterns is seen as some kind of injustice or governmental overreach so turning that cart around is going to a bitter battle.

no, it’s about pushing responsibility off on end consumers rather than producers. green theatre

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

TrashMammal posted:

no, it’s about pushing responsibility off on end consumers rather than producers. green theatre

Those things go hand-in-hand though. Green theatre as it may be, perceptions, consumer behavior and consumer demand do change policy of government and behavior of producers.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Tarkus posted:

Those things go hand-in-hand though. Green theatre as it may be, perceptions, consumer behavior and consumer demand do change policy of government and behavior of producers.

or you give consumers the perception that their actions are doing something so they feel good about your brand, then you keep on producing mountains of plastic while they keep on buying what you’re selling

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tarkus posted:

It's not some huge conspiracy to inconvenience you. The EU laws(I assume it's the same in the US) that regulate this stuff only outlaw plastic products where good and economically viable alternatives are already on the market, i.e. it's basically random what got outlawed. Some products are very easy to replace, some are very hard. Like, if your straw goes soft on you while you are sucking too long, it's not a big deal, but if your coffee cup falls apart and spills coffee everywhere that's absolutely not acceptable. So you end up with the legal plastic cup but an illegal plastic straw situation.

Although it's been a while since I saw a plastic/styrofoam cup around here. It's all been plastic coated paper for years now and they can hold liquids basically indefinitely. Also, I very rarely see people buy plastic bags, but that's probably a Europe thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
People complaining about paper straws is the stupidest loving poo poo in the world and I genuinely think you have a mental defect if you're actually angry about having to use one lmao. there's loving like 47,000 things in the current state of the world I'd complain about before whining that the delivery mechanism for my sugary babby drink gets a little soggy after a while.