Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I was just reading this article on plastic grocery bags in California:
https://news.yahoo.com/californias-war-plastic-bag-seems-110054347.html
and it made me laugh in a sad way.

Essentially, heavier duty plastic bags are still in full use and going to landfills just as much as before "the plastic bag ban".

I haven't lived in CA in years, but I remember when the "ban" was announced, and I thought, "Oh, That's Great!"

A year later I visited my sister in CA and we did a grocery run and there were only plastic bags. The newer heavier duty ones that you can totally re-use! Which is true, but hardly anyone re-uses them. You get charged 5-10 cents per bag if you don't bring in your own, and there is no incentive for people to remember to put them back in their car and bring them into the store when they shop.

I asked my sister, brother-in-law, and my brother about their habits; and these are conscientious people; about their habits and they fessed up that they often would forget to bring their bags. At least half of them were going to recycling on a regular basis.

I myself am a paragon of virtue and use my two cloth bags that a local grocery was giving out for free on arbor day (I also got a free blue spruce sapling!). But I am also a liar and sometimes forget to put them back in the car.

When asked, "Paper or plastic?" I often consider if I need fire starter or ease of carrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Plastic is both a fire starter and better for carrying random things. I would pick plastic most of the time.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Serious question, why did we move away from paper grocery bags, anyway?

I use the plastic bags to clean my cats litter box. The rest I return to the store to recycle when I have too many. I do have a few reusable bags I use, though, when I remember I have them.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

i always do paper. in fact i've never even heard of "toilet plastic"

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

We've had this rule in place in Edmonton for like a year or more. I have literally hundreds of these plastic fabric bags.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I use the plastic bags to clean my cats litter box. The rest I return to the store to recycle when I have too many. I do have a few reusable bags I use, though, when I remember I have them.

as i understand it, someone invented a kind of paper grocery bag on a roll specifically for keeping in the bathroom, so there wasnt as much need for people to wipe with their old paper grocery bags anymore,.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I use waxed canvas totes or have the groceries delivered because I am not an animal.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What if they deliver it in plastic bags tho? I don't think you've thought this through.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

What if they deliver it in plastic bags tho? I don't think you've thought this through.

They do, they are used for the cat box. But we just bought a new freezer and refrigerator for the garage so the grocery delivery people can put the groceries away for us, so I think they will stop using bags? I dunno, haven't done it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_zmtsE22dU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
plastic because scooping cat poo poo into leftover paper bags sounds awful

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

My understanding, and this could be totally wrong, is that making paper bags is way more water-intensive and thus costly vs. the price of some petro-chemicals to make the plastic.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
We only have paper bags where I live they are 25 cents each. And they are absolute garbage. The handles can't support any amount of weight and if you carry them in your arms any sharp object such as a spaghetti box corner sitting slightly wrong will tear it and spill everything in the parking lot.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

In June of 2023 here in Canada there was supposedly a ban on single use plastics instituted, which basically only means I can't obtain plastic bags from grocery stores anymore. Which left me with a conundrum re: cat litter, that I solved by purchasing bulk plastic t-shirt bags on Amazon. It sounds counterintuitive, but because the bags from Amazon are basically in immaculate, never-before-used condition, I only have to use one bag, whereas before I would double up because grocery store plastic bags would always have random small holes in them after carrying your groceries for you. So I'm using 50% less plastic now, but I have to order it from Amazon. Weird, but acceptable.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I also save cat poop in plastic bags

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i've found that glass jars are much better

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Every person in the UK has a secret stash of plastic disposable bags they never actually get around to reusing, except as bin liners. They now cost 25p a piece. I have no problem taking them back to stores and reusing them. If the price goes above 50p it will have a positive effect on the environment as I will go around pulling them out of trees.

Paper straws however are a ridiculous con on two fronts: 1) They're selling you self destructing items. 2) Its ridiculous lip service to tackling sea plastics given the real issue is the fishing industry which nobody has any intention of tackling.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Mozi posted:

At making bloody, lovely mess.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Because they're made out of paper and if it weren't for the environmental impact a plastic bag is far better bag for carrying groceries in.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i still have hundreds of paper grocery bags because they are the very best thing to use for drying catnip

some of them probably got used and reused for a decade or more

nowadays i have 8 or 10 cloth bags that i use for grocery shopping and rarely ever have to use a plastic bag from the store

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Internetjack posted:

My understanding, and this could be totally wrong, is that making paper bags is way more water-intensive and thus costly vs. the price of some petro-chemicals to make the plastic.

Thanks.

Makes perfect sense and a good trade-off to return to paper bags if we are to reduce plastic use since paper bags are biodegradable, compostable, and easier to recycle, but lol at trying to coerce major corporations into doing the right thing.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Paper is more durable too.
Gotta store a pile of DVDs in your garage/attic? Double bag the paper and they will hold up for well over a decade. The plastic will fall apart in 5 years or so.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

another fail for behavioral economics. will we ever be free from this cult and their bullshit nudges? that fucker dan ariely and his ilk annihilated a generation of public policy with this garbage

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Les Os posted:

I also save cat poop in plastic bags

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Mozi posted:

whipping a glass jar at someone is aggravated assault w a weapon im sure, slinging a plastic bag of cat poop on the other hand is just

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Just speaking from the customer's end, paper bags melt in the rain and you can't carry really heavy items with them.

Piss And Shittium
Dec 20, 2023
Paper - based
Plastic - cringe

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I have a few and I generally remember to take them with me when I go to the shops. the rate at which I have to buy new ones due to forgetting is approximately matched by the rate at which they wear out and/or get lost, or used for something that destroys them. so it's not really a problem

the shops typically trumpet that they are "bags for life!" and that they'll replace any bag that gets too knackered to use but I have never taken them up on that and I doubt there are many people that do.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

i still use plastic bags for emptying the litter box and carrying my empties to the bottle return. you can get a thing of 50 of them on amazon for like 8 bucks

so now instead of receiving plastic bags at checkout that i always reused for other purposes, now i have to buy them online and also get useless paper bags at the store that just get thrown out. good job liberals

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Three Olives posted:

the grocery delivery people can put the groceries away for us

The wealthy look at being poor as a moral failing, they wouldn't be poor if they weren't lazy trash but at least i can put away my own groceries ,checkmate capitalism

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Doctor Dogballs posted:

i always do paper. in fact i've never even heard of "toilet plastic"

lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Three Olives posted:

we just bought a new freezer and refrigerator for the garage so the grocery delivery people can put the groceries away for us

Jesus Christ

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What if the delivery people do something weird to your food? :ohdear:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Piss And Shittium posted:

Paper - based
Plastic - cringe

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Three Olives posted:

They do, they are used for the cat box. But we just bought a new freezer and refrigerator for the garage so the grocery delivery people can put the groceries away for us, so I think they will stop using bags? I dunno, haven't done it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_zmtsE22dU

Oh dear god, while I'm sure Casa Olive is spotless, but don't make delivery drivers have to come into people's homes. That seems like a horrible nightmare of gropings, racial slur based instructions, kidnappings, shootings, having stacks of decade old newspapers collapse on you type scenarios, or at the very least being accused of breaking a "perfectly fine before" refridgerator by the same person 3 times this year. Sure as part of a registered, insured and monitored disability service but otherwise no. You're forcing the people that shop at walmart together with the people that have to work in walmart in a confined scary place.

e: I just realised this sounds like I am asking Three Olives, Head of Walmart to change company work rules.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
There are no "perfect" options for bags. Plastic is everywhere and is litter fodder and I get it most often because of my cats, but then paper is made with tons of water run-off. Then you've got re-usable bags which also take a lot of resources to make and are very unclean after several uses.

If you wanna make a positive impact without re-usables, the best thing you can do is forego using a bag if you don't need one. We're damned no matter what!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I just like Three Olives causal "Grocery shopping? Ew."

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Yeah the thick plastic bags are dumb as gently caress

At least where I live, recycling won't even take them so you either have 1000 of them all stuffed into a drawer somewhere in your house or you just throw them away. Definitely high ranking on our "performative bullshit so we can huff our own farts" poo poo we do, see also all the poo poo we talk about clean air and less cars on the roads while forcing RTO for state employees for no reason anyone can explain. GJ California

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Three Olives posted:

But we just bought a new freezer and refrigerator for the garage so the grocery delivery people can put the groceries away for us

that isnt their job you loving dick, eat poo poo

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Clear cutting forests is now the environmentally friendly choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Can 3O get probed every time he shows us a new way he's a piece of poo poo?