Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

Nice singing voice, I take it you've had a lot of practice. Still getting used to casually meeting all kinds of legendarily powerful figures.

You decide to play it cool, for now, and to give her a compliment. She seems more than a little prideful, from what you can see.

JOSEI: I can say I'm still getting used to casually meeting all kinds of legendarily powerful figures. Nice singing voice, I take it you've had a lot of practice.

Apollyon immediately preens at that.

APOLLYON: Ahhhh... well, yes! I always have done well musically. When you're my age, you get plenty of time to do all sorts of hobbies. I've never been the sort to just shut myself up in a dark basement.

APOLLYON: How is Sami doing, by the way?

JOSEI: She's doing fine, I guess. Why do you ask?

APOLLYON: I just like keeping up with how other luminaries - or not-so-luminaries, ahaha - are doing in the Underworld.

JOSEI: I... see. I've gathered you two had some kind of falling out, I take it?

APOLLYON: A bit of an understatement. We had an intense disagreement about some lifestyle choices. We used to be quite close, though, so it's a shame.

You take all the hints she's been giving you, along with your own observations, and have a very solid think while you try to put the puzzle pieces together. Your brow furrows, and your eyes cross a bit. There's the love song, Sami's reaction to you wanting to take Apollyon's bounty, the falling out they apparently had...

Realization dawns.

INSIGHT ROLL: 1 +3 PERK BONUS (LUCK, ODIN) = 4 VS DC 10. CRITICAL FAILURE.

Obviously, they were lesbian lovers, and then broke up. After all, opposites attract. You nod to yourself, confident that you have made a brilliant deduction. You're getting better at this all the time.

ATHENA: Josei... they're sisters.

You briefly consider that Sami and Apollyon could be sisters, and discard that idea as being exceptionally silly. First off, they look like complete opposites, aside from sharing the yellow eyes and sharp teeth. Second, that would be incest, which is rather gross. Though from what you read Olympians kinda did that sort of thing, so maybe she just think it's normal.

ATHENA: loving Hades, you're- you're such an idiot!

You mentally set Athena's jibes aside, and turn your attention back to Apollyon. She has an intrigued expression on her face.

APOLLYON: Having a mental debate?

JOSEI: Er. Yes. Kind of. So what was it like, being with Sami, anyway? If you don't mind me asking.

Apollyon gives you a weird look.

APOLLYON: As in when we lived together, long ago?

JOSEI: Uh... yeah?

The look on her face tells you she thinks you're either messing with her, or a moron. Probably the latter. She shrugs dismissively.

APOLLYON: Ancient history. I'm not the sort to dwell on it. What about you, Josei? Do you have family, or people you care about?

Character Sheets & Inventory
BUSINESS USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $3,000,000
USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $74,611
SM ACCOUNT BALANCE: Ω1.55

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:doh:

Getting there. Dying a few times does shift one's priorities. Got some burnt bridges to rebuild.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

:doh:

Getting there. Dying a few times does shift one's priorities. Got some burnt bridges to rebuild.

JOSEI: Getting there. Dying a few times does shift one's priorities. Got some burnt bridges to rebuild.

You actually get pensive for a moment, just from considering recent events. Apollyon inclines her head a bit, obviously expecting you to share more. She seems mildly disappointed when you decline to do so.

APOLLYON: Well! Best of luck. Though if you ever need a hand with that, I wouldn't be opposed to helping as a favor.

She gives a sharp toothed smile, and you do your best to seem appreciative of the offer.

JOSEI: I'll keep that in mind.

And with that, Apollyon apparently decides she's getting about as much out of you for now as she can, given your noncommittal answers.

APOLLYON: Speaking of help... here.

She holds up a hand, and a tightly rolled scroll appears in her fingers with a small flash of light. She tosses it to you, and you catch it with a grunt. You unroll it, and find a simple list written in her elegant handwriting.

code:
1. One phoenix down feather.
2. One unicorn horn (or equivalent amount of unicorn horn dust).
3. One lock of hair from a pure-of-heart virgin.
4. One cup of Essence of Moonlight.
APOLLYON: In a way, you can think of this as a grocery shopping list, hmm? And I can say... I'm not picky HOW you get these items. Even though I try to be a perfect angel, sometimes, a little sin must be done.

You tap the "Essence of Moonlight" item.

JOSEI: What is this?

APOLLYON: Ah, fairly simple. Some water from the Fae Court that has been infused with their peculiarly potent form of lunar light. All you need to do is travel there, fill up a small bottle, then travel back. NOT a metal bottle, it must be glass.

You nod, wondering what else to ask.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Ever had slow roasted Unicorn?

Would the person we source the hair from be in any risk of danger, increased likelihood of misfortune or any other negative effect?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

Ever had slow roasted Unicorn?

She raises an eyebrow.

APOLLYON: No, I haven't. Color me a bit curious.

Blasphemaster posted:

Would the person we source the hair from be in any risk of danger, increased likelihood of misfortune or any other negative effect?

APOLLYON: Ha, no, not at all. Of that I can assure you. If you have a friend who would fit the bill, that would work fine. The big requirement is that they MUST be pure of heart. So not just a virgin, but someone who is truly innocent.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Do Phoenix Down feathers actually do what it sounds like they do in the popular imagination?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Do Phoenix Down feathers actually do what it sounds like they do in the popular imagination?

APOLLYON: As in resurrecting people? Yes. With the correct preparation.

APOLLYON: With INCORRECT preparation, they could still theoretically resurrect you, while also sapping life force from nearby people. If you're unlucky, they could kill someone.

APOLLYON: Very dangerous in unprepared hands, mmm?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
That's probably enough of what we need to know to find these ingredients, suggest we wrap this bit up.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

That's probably enough of what we need to know to find these ingredients, suggest we wrap this bit up.

JOSEI: Alright, understood. I think I have everything that I need. Thank you, Apollyon.

She flashes another smile.

APOLLYON: Please, call me Polly. We're not strangers anymore, hmm?

JOSEI: I'll keep that in mind. Thank you, Polly.

You pause.

JOSEI: I'm assuming I can reach out if I have more questions?

POLLY: Absolutely. Come back here anytime.

With that, you stand up, and nod to the angel politely, before leaving with your dog. You contemplate trying to cram more Useful and Productive things in for the evening, but frankly, it's late. Instead, you head back to your penthouse and eat dinner with Goodboy at your feet. After that, you head to bed early.

The next morning you get up, feeling refreshed. As you have your morning coffee, you check your messages. It looks like Kenjiro got Rebecca's stuff on a freight train and it all should be arriving in a day or two. This gives you time to purchase the farmhouse property and even begin setting things up for the troupe of ex-NPCs who will be moving to the property.

> We have a number of tasks we can complete today. Select what you want Josei's focus to be on for today. One task is pre-selected.

A) Purchase the farmhouse propertly and surrounding land. This will cost about 1.6 million dollars depending on Josei's negotiating prowess. (Pre-selected, unless people violently change their minds.)

B) Begin setting up the property for human habitation... but how much money do we sink into this in the short term?
1. Nothing. These are medieval peasants, they can just figure out things on their own. (Josei thinks this option is a bit mean, but then again, maybe it's a good idea to save money?)
2. Put in a small investment, at the least we can order some basic things like bedrolls and port-a-potties. It will be a bit like campground life or barracks life for the short term.
3. Purchase some mobile homes. A single one is about $100,000, and there were about 20 households. We could either by 1 for each family, or try to cram more people into each mobile home. So if we got 20, that would be $2,000,000...
4. Something else, suggestions are welcome.

C) Someone said something about recovering the Minotaur's map and fixing it. That would be a Nike Question.

D) We can visit Richter, to get things. Like the $100,000 clips for the cyberpunk gun that the author totally didn't forget to have Josei to buy, what are you talking about? (We don't have much funds, but we could always draw on our business account to buy some...)

E) We can visit Veldrin, Elara, and the villagers to check in on them and let them know the general game plan.

F) Slightly separate to E) - we need to talk to Veldrin about him joining the Council of Merlin. Otherwise he's an unsanctioned mage which could have repercussions.

G) We can check on Kiara and find out how she's doing. Either by calling, or by visiting.

H) We can begin farming out work. Josei can't do all the bounties by himself. We need to start following up on leads - what do we hand off, and to who? We could even hand off both bounties, though Josei isn't sure that's a good idea.
1. We hand off scouting out where the water elementals went. Do we give this to Ivan, Ryder, or Rebecca?
2. We can hand off sourcing ingredients for the reagent bounty. Ryder already has a unicorn horn, so it might make sense to use him. Or we could use Ivan or Rebecca.

I) Feel free to submit other things you're more interested in doing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

B2, but make sure it's nice high-quality stuff;
E+F
H2 - see if Ryder's still got that unicorn horn, also he's the logical choice to get the fae moon water

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
B2, with nice high-quality stuff. And lets take care of E+F, yes. H2 if we have the time, maybe Rebecca knows a friend that has the qualities required for the lock of hair? Call up and see if we can pay Ryder to fetch the moon water as well.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 5, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Given two votes on the same sensible options, I'm going to go ahead and move forward. Additional suggestions are still welcome, but it's not like the unselected options are going to disappear forever without ever being seen again. We will start out with finalizing the property purchase along with getting basic supplies, then visit the former NPCs. Talking to Ryder and Rebecca about reagent recovery will come last for the day.

Once all of that is done, Josei will spend the evening figuring out next steps with water elemental recovery.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

B2, with nice high-quality stuff. And lets take care of E+F, yes. H2 if we have the time, maybe Rebecca knows a friend that has the qualities required for the lock of hair? Call up and see if we can pay Ryder to fetch the moon water as well.

McSpanky posted:

B2, but make sure it's nice high-quality stuff;
E+F
H2 - see if Ryder's still got that unicorn horn, also he's the logical choice to get the fae moon water

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 14 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 16 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

First off, you reach out to the retired couple who first rented you the house property. They're surprised when you offer to buy it outright from them. After some tough negotiation, you manage to purchase it at a discount, considering you're willing to pay cash upfront. It only costs you $150,000. Even you feel kind of impressed. Then again, it's in a rural area. Land value is lower out here.

You have spent $150,000 on purchasing the farmhouse.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 20 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 25 VS DC 14. CRITICAL SUCCESS!

You then reach out to the people who own the plots of land surrounding the farmhouse, and find that you have a real knack for negotiation. Then again, it helps that you once read up on real estate law back when you used to sell bridges to people as a con artist. You only spend $1,003,200 dollars purchasing up the surrounding parcels, and even get manage to purchase mineral rights to the property as well. You're not sure if there's anything of value - you didn't exactly buy an iron mine, or something - but who knows, right?

You have spent $1,003,200 on purchasing the property surrounding the farmhouse.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 4 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 9 VS DC 12. FAILURE.

After that, you visit Richter, since you figure that continuing to give him business is a good idea. Plus, he has loads of contacts. Things go a little less well, you were hoping to get a bulk discount... you mostly just pay fair market value for the camping supplies. All told, you end up spending about $30,000 in premium camping supplies, including tents, camping chairs, outdoor kitchen and stove equipment, and outdoor toilets. You figure people can take showers in the farmhouse, it has three bathrooms so it wouldn't be too awkward.

You have spent $30,000 on premium camping supplies.

Richter gives you a weird look as you order the stuff with him, and asks what the hell you have planned. You just tell him cheerfully that you need to put up a bunch of medieval peasants long term while you build a holiday resort. He just stares at you, shrugs, and says that if you didn't want to tell him, you could have just said so.

With the vast quantity of shopping done, you decide to pay a visit to Nocturna Silvarum to visit Veldrin, Elara, and the villagers. You stop by the Famous Adventurers store, which is currently undergoing renovations, and say a friendly hello to Raymond as you head for Nike's magic portal. He's apparently left it open semi-permanently to allow easy transit, what with the plans to move all the NPCs out.

When you reach the village, you find that it is bustling with activity. The villagers are packing up and loading large ox-drawn carts with gods. Nike mentioned to you that all the animals in the sim are actually real... it was cheaper to do that than make animatronics. You vaguely wonder if that means you could pick up free-range livestock ranching on the property. People would pay a fortune for organic produce and the like.

The villagers point when they see you, and soon enough Veldrin is approaching with Elara at his side. You haven't seen the two automatons in a while, and you wonder how that relationship is going to play out long term.

Elara salutes you, which makes you feel a bit weird, and you awkwardly return it.

ELARA: Preparations to evacuate the village are almost complete, sir. I'm... assuming you're still willing to host us?

JOSEI: Of course, that's still the plan.

Veldrin purses his lips on seeing the respect the guard captain is showing you.

VELDRIN: I thought you didn't want anyone giving you orders anymore, Elara.

There's an awkward pause.

ELARA: I said I didn't want YOU giving me orders anymore, Veldrin.

You decide to brush on past this, and clear your throat.

JOSEI: Can we meet somewhere to discuss the game plan?

ELARA: I-

Veldrin interrupts her. Despite being a relatively slight and slender dark elf, his voice has a commanding air to it which allows him to speak over her... at least for a moment.

VELDRIN: Yes, definitely. It would make sense to do it at the castle, that way we can also coordinate with the captain of the castle guard, and my steward. I figure it makes more sense to centralize evacuation planning rather than acting at cross-purposes, yes?

Elara purses her lips.

ELARA: But the bulk of people are in the village, Veldrin. Wouldn't it make more sense to do it here?

VELDRIN: You have to consider Josei's comfort as well. Your house isn't as suited for hosting someone like him. And besides, I have more experience with logistics, along with reading any maps he provides.

Elara narrows her eyes.

ELARA: Are you saying I don't know how to read a map.

He shrugs elegantly.

VELDRIN: Not at all. But I do have more understanding of how to look at it from a long-term planning angle, rather than simple tactics and the like. Along with the supplies necessary to copy maps and charts, or even draft floor plans, et cetera.

You can feel tension begin to rise in the air as the two automatons stare at each other, almost as though they've forgotten you're there at all.

> Pick a side, or try to find a compromise. This will affect their trust. Keep in mind that sometimes, a compromise means that nobody is happy...

BUSINESS USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $1,816,800

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 5, 2024

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Are you two seriously arguing jurisdiction in a place that will soon have no further relevance to any of us? Each of you give me a good argument for the other person’s suggestion.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

AJ_Impy posted:

Are you two seriously arguing jurisdiction in a place that will soon have no further relevance to any of us? Each of you give me a good argument for the other person’s suggestion.

You hold up your hands.

JOSEI: Okay. Help me out here. Are you guys seriously arguing about jurisdiction in a place that you're going to be abandoning?

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 11 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 16 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

Both of them pause at that, and their faces turn pink. Or at least Elara's face does. They glance away from each other, and seem to think over their words carefully. Veldrin is the one to recover first, likely because he's the more eloquent of the two.

VELDRIN: It isn't about jurisdiction, it's about...

JOSEI: About where to sit down and have a conversation about the evacuation? Why does it matter where we do that? It's not like we're under attack by... orcs, or something.

Elara stiffens a bit.

ELARA: Well- well.

You can see both of them now have a thoughtful expression.

JOSEI: Listen. If you guys can give me a good argument for the other person's suggestion, I'm all ears. Otherwise, let's just flip a coin because it's irrelevant.

To your surprise, Veldrin takes a deep breath, and exhales.

VELDRIN: No, no need. This is... ridiculous. You're correct, Josei. Let's just go into guardhouse and get this over with.

Elara looks a bit surprised, and folds her arms, trying to process his sudden surrender. Then she looks away before speaking again.

ELARA: Well... thank you, Veldrin. I can say... I appreciate the help you've been giving. You've got a sharp mind.

With that done, rather than forcing them to shake or something equally stereotypical, you just lead the way into the town's guardhouse. Some of the personal effects have been stripped and packed away, but others are being left. You're guessing that the Famous Adventurers corporation is wanting to keep some of the stuff when they rebuild the simulation.

The three of you sit down at a large table in Elara's study, and you talk through the game plan. When you mention you've hundreds of acres of land, Elara looks at you like you've gone insane.

ELARA: 1,800 acres? Sir, you do realize that we're bringing 60 people over. Not 600. How are we going to work all that land?

JOSEI: I figured we'd need a buffer for privacy and security. And I don't know... if we're really successful, we might need the space.

Veldrin clears his throat.

VELDRIN: Not to mention that they do agriculture a little differently. Based on my research, apparently have perfected using machines to perform tasks like plowing, threshing grain, et cetera. They do agriculture at scale, not by hand. The extra land may be quite useful to actually turn a profit.

ELARA: I... guess.

The guard captain runs a hand through her hair, and gives you a look of newfound respect.

ELARA: You really must be a wealthy lord to afford all of this.

JOSEI: Uh, not exactly, I just have investors.

Elara gets a blank expression at that. Even Veldrin looks uncertain.

VELDRIN: What does that mean, exactly? Your liege gave you a loan?

JOSEI: Sort... of? Multiple parties have given me money to start up a business.

While Elara still looks a bit blank, Veldrin gives a nod.

VELDRIN: Ah. I see. Like merchants placing money on a trading venture? I'm assuming they will be wanting a cut of the proceeds.

You feel a bit off-balance, you were gearing up to give an explanation.

JOSEI: Yeah? That's basically it.

You can tell Elara is still struggling with the concept, and she purses her lips before asking a question.

ELARA: Are you some manner of noble then, to demand that merchants give you funds for supporting us and creating an estate for you?

Veldrin regards Elara, and takes on a slightly condescending tone.

VELDRIN: Remember, they don't have aristocracy. Also even if Josei was some great lord, going about threatening merchants for funds often leads to a short reign.

Elara shoots Veldrin a glare.

ELARA: I was asking Josei for guidance, not you, elf.

Veldrin rolls his eyes.

VELDRIN: In any case, I am assuming I will be getting custody of the farmhouse. From how it sounds, it has many amenities that my staff and I can put to good use.

The dark elf says this like he is making a pronouncement more than asking any kind of question, seemingly oblivious to the glare Elara shoots him. But this does raise the question... how are you going to allocate the farmhouse?

> Once again, pick a side... or find a compromise.

BUSINESS USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $1,816,800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Reluctantly admit that Veldrin and his people can make the best use of the farmhouse for now, but make clear that they are there with the villagers, and will make every accommodation for their needs. We will be keeping an eye on this. If Veldrin doesn't like, there's a very nice tent with his name on it next to the ox pens.