Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

Nice singing voice, I take it you've had a lot of practice. Still getting used to casually meeting all kinds of legendarily powerful figures.

You decide to play it cool, for now, and to give her a compliment. She seems more than a little prideful, from what you can see.

JOSEI: I can say I'm still getting used to casually meeting all kinds of legendarily powerful figures. Nice singing voice, I take it you've had a lot of practice.

Apollyon immediately preens at that.

APOLLYON: Ahhhh... well, yes! I always have done well musically. When you're my age, you get plenty of time to do all sorts of hobbies. I've never been the sort to just shut myself up in a dark basement.

APOLLYON: How is Sami doing, by the way?

JOSEI: She's doing fine, I guess. Why do you ask?

APOLLYON: I just like keeping up with how other luminaries - or not-so-luminaries, ahaha - are doing in the Underworld.

JOSEI: I... see. I've gathered you two had some kind of falling out, I take it?

APOLLYON: A bit of an understatement. We had an intense disagreement about some lifestyle choices. We used to be quite close, though, so it's a shame.

You take all the hints she's been giving you, along with your own observations, and have a very solid think while you try to put the puzzle pieces together. Your brow furrows, and your eyes cross a bit. There's the love song, Sami's reaction to you wanting to take Apollyon's bounty, the falling out they apparently had...

Realization dawns.

INSIGHT ROLL: 1 +3 PERK BONUS (LUCK, ODIN) = 4 VS DC 10. CRITICAL FAILURE.

Obviously, they were lesbian lovers, and then broke up. After all, opposites attract. You nod to yourself, confident that you have made a brilliant deduction. You're getting better at this all the time.

ATHENA: Josei... they're sisters.

You briefly consider that Sami and Apollyon could be sisters, and discard that idea as being exceptionally silly. First off, they look like complete opposites, aside from sharing the yellow eyes and sharp teeth. Second, that would be incest, which is rather gross. Though from what you read Olympians kinda did that sort of thing, so maybe she just think it's normal.

ATHENA: loving Hades, you're- you're such an idiot!

You mentally set Athena's jibes aside, and turn your attention back to Apollyon. She has an intrigued expression on her face.

APOLLYON: Having a mental debate?

JOSEI: Er. Yes. Kind of. So what was it like, being with Sami, anyway? If you don't mind me asking.

Apollyon gives you a weird look.

APOLLYON: As in when we lived together, long ago?

JOSEI: Uh... yeah?

The look on her face tells you she thinks you're either messing with her, or a moron. Probably the latter. She shrugs dismissively.

APOLLYON: Ancient history. I'm not the sort to dwell on it. What about you, Josei? Do you have family, or people you care about?

Character Sheets & Inventory
BUSINESS USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $3,000,000
USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $74,611
SM ACCOUNT BALANCE: Ω1.55

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:doh:

Getting there. Dying a few times does shift one's priorities. Got some burnt bridges to rebuild.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

:doh:

Getting there. Dying a few times does shift one's priorities. Got some burnt bridges to rebuild.

JOSEI: Getting there. Dying a few times does shift one's priorities. Got some burnt bridges to rebuild.

You actually get pensive for a moment, just from considering recent events. Apollyon inclines her head a bit, obviously expecting you to share more. She seems mildly disappointed when you decline to do so.

APOLLYON: Well! Best of luck. Though if you ever need a hand with that, I wouldn't be opposed to helping as a favor.

She gives a sharp toothed smile, and you do your best to seem appreciative of the offer.

JOSEI: I'll keep that in mind.

And with that, Apollyon apparently decides she's getting about as much out of you for now as she can, given your noncommittal answers.

APOLLYON: Speaking of help... here.

She holds up a hand, and a tightly rolled scroll appears in her fingers with a small flash of light. She tosses it to you, and you catch it with a grunt. You unroll it, and find a simple list written in her elegant handwriting.

code:
1. One phoenix down feather.
2. One unicorn horn (or equivalent amount of unicorn horn dust).
3. One lock of hair from a pure-of-heart virgin.
4. One cup of Essence of Moonlight.
APOLLYON: In a way, you can think of this as a grocery shopping list, hmm? And I can say... I'm not picky HOW you get these items. Even though I try to be a perfect angel, sometimes, a little sin must be done.

You tap the "Essence of Moonlight" item.

JOSEI: What is this?

APOLLYON: Ah, fairly simple. Some water from the Fae Court that has been infused with their peculiarly potent form of lunar light. All you need to do is travel there, fill up a small bottle, then travel back. NOT a metal bottle, it must be glass.

You nod, wondering what else to ask.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Ever had slow roasted Unicorn?

Would the person we source the hair from be in any risk of danger, increased likelihood of misfortune or any other negative effect?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

Ever had slow roasted Unicorn?

She raises an eyebrow.

APOLLYON: No, I haven't. Color me a bit curious.

Blasphemaster posted:

Would the person we source the hair from be in any risk of danger, increased likelihood of misfortune or any other negative effect?

APOLLYON: Ha, no, not at all. Of that I can assure you. If you have a friend who would fit the bill, that would work fine. The big requirement is that they MUST be pure of heart. So not just a virgin, but someone who is truly innocent.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Do Phoenix Down feathers actually do what it sounds like they do in the popular imagination?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Do Phoenix Down feathers actually do what it sounds like they do in the popular imagination?

APOLLYON: As in resurrecting people? Yes. With the correct preparation.

APOLLYON: With INCORRECT preparation, they could still theoretically resurrect you, while also sapping life force from nearby people. If you're unlucky, they could kill someone.

APOLLYON: Very dangerous in unprepared hands, mmm?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
That's probably enough of what we need to know to find these ingredients, suggest we wrap this bit up.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

That's probably enough of what we need to know to find these ingredients, suggest we wrap this bit up.

JOSEI: Alright, understood. I think I have everything that I need. Thank you, Apollyon.

She flashes another smile.

APOLLYON: Please, call me Polly. We're not strangers anymore, hmm?

JOSEI: I'll keep that in mind. Thank you, Polly.

You pause.

JOSEI: I'm assuming I can reach out if I have more questions?

POLLY: Absolutely. Come back here anytime.

With that, you stand up, and nod to the angel politely, before leaving with your dog. You contemplate trying to cram more Useful and Productive things in for the evening, but frankly, it's late. Instead, you head back to your penthouse and eat dinner with Goodboy at your feet. After that, you head to bed early.

The next morning you get up, feeling refreshed. As you have your morning coffee, you check your messages. It looks like Kenjiro got Rebecca's stuff on a freight train and it all should be arriving in a day or two. This gives you time to purchase the farmhouse property and even begin setting things up for the troupe of ex-NPCs who will be moving to the property.

> We have a number of tasks we can complete today. Select what you want Josei's focus to be on for today. One task is pre-selected.

A) Purchase the farmhouse propertly and surrounding land. This will cost about 1.6 million dollars depending on Josei's negotiating prowess. (Pre-selected, unless people violently change their minds.)

B) Begin setting up the property for human habitation... but how much money do we sink into this in the short term?
1. Nothing. These are medieval peasants, they can just figure out things on their own. (Josei thinks this option is a bit mean, but then again, maybe it's a good idea to save money?)
2. Put in a small investment, at the least we can order some basic things like bedrolls and port-a-potties. It will be a bit like campground life or barracks life for the short term.
3. Purchase some mobile homes. A single one is about $100,000, and there were about 20 households. We could either by 1 for each family, or try to cram more people into each mobile home. So if we got 20, that would be $2,000,000...
4. Something else, suggestions are welcome.

C) Someone said something about recovering the Minotaur's map and fixing it. That would be a Nike Question.

D) We can visit Richter, to get things. Like the $100,000 clips for the cyberpunk gun that the author totally didn't forget to have Josei to buy, what are you talking about? (We don't have much funds, but we could always draw on our business account to buy some...)

E) We can visit Veldrin, Elara, and the villagers to check in on them and let them know the general game plan.

F) Slightly separate to E) - we need to talk to Veldrin about him joining the Council of Merlin. Otherwise he's an unsanctioned mage which could have repercussions.

G) We can check on Kiara and find out how she's doing. Either by calling, or by visiting.

H) We can begin farming out work. Josei can't do all the bounties by himself. We need to start following up on leads - what do we hand off, and to who? We could even hand off both bounties, though Josei isn't sure that's a good idea.
1. We hand off scouting out where the water elementals went. Do we give this to Ivan, Ryder, or Rebecca?
2. We can hand off sourcing ingredients for the reagent bounty. Ryder already has a unicorn horn, so it might make sense to use him. Or we could use Ivan or Rebecca.

I) Feel free to submit other things you're more interested in doing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

B2, but make sure it's nice high-quality stuff;
E+F
H2 - see if Ryder's still got that unicorn horn, also he's the logical choice to get the fae moon water

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
B2, with nice high-quality stuff. And lets take care of E+F, yes. H2 if we have the time, maybe Rebecca knows a friend that has the qualities required for the lock of hair? Call up and see if we can pay Ryder to fetch the moon water as well.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 5, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Given two votes on the same sensible options, I'm going to go ahead and move forward. Additional suggestions are still welcome, but it's not like the unselected options are going to disappear forever without ever being seen again. We will start out with finalizing the property purchase along with getting basic supplies, then visit the former NPCs. Talking to Ryder and Rebecca about reagent recovery will come last for the day.

Once all of that is done, Josei will spend the evening figuring out next steps with water elemental recovery.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

B2, with nice high-quality stuff. And lets take care of E+F, yes. H2 if we have the time, maybe Rebecca knows a friend that has the qualities required for the lock of hair? Call up and see if we can pay Ryder to fetch the moon water as well.

McSpanky posted:

B2, but make sure it's nice high-quality stuff;
E+F
H2 - see if Ryder's still got that unicorn horn, also he's the logical choice to get the fae moon water

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 14 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 16 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

First off, you reach out to the retired couple who first rented you the house property. They're surprised when you offer to buy it outright from them. After some tough negotiation, you manage to purchase it at a discount, considering you're willing to pay cash upfront. It only costs you $150,000. Even you feel kind of impressed. Then again, it's in a rural area. Land value is lower out here.

You have spent $150,000 on purchasing the farmhouse.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 20 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 25 VS DC 14. CRITICAL SUCCESS!

You then reach out to the people who own the plots of land surrounding the farmhouse, and find that you have a real knack for negotiation. Then again, it helps that you once read up on real estate law back when you used to sell bridges to people as a con artist. You only spend $1,003,200 dollars purchasing up the surrounding parcels, and even get manage to purchase mineral rights to the property as well. You're not sure if there's anything of value - you didn't exactly buy an iron mine, or something - but who knows, right?

You have spent $1,003,200 on purchasing the property surrounding the farmhouse.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 4 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 9 VS DC 12. FAILURE.

After that, you visit Richter, since you figure that continuing to give him business is a good idea. Plus, he has loads of contacts. Things go a little less well, you were hoping to get a bulk discount... you mostly just pay fair market value for the camping supplies. All told, you end up spending about $30,000 in premium camping supplies, including tents, camping chairs, outdoor kitchen and stove equipment, and outdoor toilets. You figure people can take showers in the farmhouse, it has three bathrooms so it wouldn't be too awkward.

You have spent $30,000 on premium camping supplies.

Richter gives you a weird look as you order the stuff with him, and asks what the hell you have planned. You just tell him cheerfully that you need to put up a bunch of medieval peasants long term while you build a holiday resort. He just stares at you, shrugs, and says that if you didn't want to tell him, you could have just said so.

With the vast quantity of shopping done, you decide to pay a visit to Nocturna Silvarum to visit Veldrin, Elara, and the villagers. You stop by the Famous Adventurers store, which is currently undergoing renovations, and say a friendly hello to Raymond as you head for Nike's magic portal. He's apparently left it open semi-permanently to allow easy transit, what with the plans to move all the NPCs out.

When you reach the village, you find that it is bustling with activity. The villagers are packing up and loading large ox-drawn carts with gods. Nike mentioned to you that all the animals in the sim are actually real... it was cheaper to do that than make animatronics. You vaguely wonder if that means you could pick up free-range livestock ranching on the property. People would pay a fortune for organic produce and the like.

The villagers point when they see you, and soon enough Veldrin is approaching with Elara at his side. You haven't seen the two automatons in a while, and you wonder how that relationship is going to play out long term.

Elara salutes you, which makes you feel a bit weird, and you awkwardly return it.

ELARA: Preparations to evacuate the village are almost complete, sir. I'm... assuming you're still willing to host us?

JOSEI: Of course, that's still the plan.

Veldrin purses his lips on seeing the respect the guard captain is showing you.

VELDRIN: I thought you didn't want anyone giving you orders anymore, Elara.

There's an awkward pause.

ELARA: I said I didn't want YOU giving me orders anymore, Veldrin.

You decide to brush on past this, and clear your throat.

JOSEI: Can we meet somewhere to discuss the game plan?

ELARA: I-

Veldrin interrupts her. Despite being a relatively slight and slender dark elf, his voice has a commanding air to it which allows him to speak over her... at least for a moment.

VELDRIN: Yes, definitely. It would make sense to do it at the castle, that way we can also coordinate with the captain of the castle guard, and my steward. I figure it makes more sense to centralize evacuation planning rather than acting at cross-purposes, yes?

Elara purses her lips.

ELARA: But the bulk of people are in the village, Veldrin. Wouldn't it make more sense to do it here?

VELDRIN: You have to consider Josei's comfort as well. Your house isn't as suited for hosting someone like him. And besides, I have more experience with logistics, along with reading any maps he provides.

Elara narrows her eyes.

ELARA: Are you saying I don't know how to read a map.

He shrugs elegantly.

VELDRIN: Not at all. But I do have more understanding of how to look at it from a long-term planning angle, rather than simple tactics and the like. Along with the supplies necessary to copy maps and charts, or even draft floor plans, et cetera.

You can feel tension begin to rise in the air as the two automatons stare at each other, almost as though they've forgotten you're there at all.

> Pick a side, or try to find a compromise. This will affect their trust. Keep in mind that sometimes, a compromise means that nobody is happy...

BUSINESS USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $1,816,800

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 5, 2024

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Are you two seriously arguing jurisdiction in a place that will soon have no further relevance to any of us? Each of you give me a good argument for the other person’s suggestion.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

AJ_Impy posted:

Are you two seriously arguing jurisdiction in a place that will soon have no further relevance to any of us? Each of you give me a good argument for the other person’s suggestion.

You hold up your hands.

JOSEI: Okay. Help me out here. Are you guys seriously arguing about jurisdiction in a place that you're going to be abandoning?

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 11 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 16 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

Both of them pause at that, and their faces turn pink. Or at least Elara's face does. They glance away from each other, and seem to think over their words carefully. Veldrin is the one to recover first, likely because he's the more eloquent of the two.

VELDRIN: It isn't about jurisdiction, it's about...

JOSEI: About where to sit down and have a conversation about the evacuation? Why does it matter where we do that? It's not like we're under attack by... orcs, or something.

Elara stiffens a bit.

ELARA: Well- well.

You can see both of them now have a thoughtful expression.

JOSEI: Listen. If you guys can give me a good argument for the other person's suggestion, I'm all ears. Otherwise, let's just flip a coin because it's irrelevant.

To your surprise, Veldrin takes a deep breath, and exhales.

VELDRIN: No, no need. This is... ridiculous. You're correct, Josei. Let's just go into guardhouse and get this over with.

Elara looks a bit surprised, and folds her arms, trying to process his sudden surrender. Then she looks away before speaking again.

ELARA: Well... thank you, Veldrin. I can say... I appreciate the help you've been giving. You've got a sharp mind.

With that done, rather than forcing them to shake or something equally stereotypical, you just lead the way into the town's guardhouse. Some of the personal effects have been stripped and packed away, but others are being left. You're guessing that the Famous Adventurers corporation is wanting to keep some of the stuff when they rebuild the simulation.

The three of you sit down at a large table in Elara's study, and you talk through the game plan. When you mention you've hundreds of acres of land, Elara looks at you like you've gone insane.

ELARA: 1,800 acres? Sir, you do realize that we're bringing 60 people over. Not 600. How are we going to work all that land?

JOSEI: I figured we'd need a buffer for privacy and security. And I don't know... if we're really successful, we might need the space.

Veldrin clears his throat.

VELDRIN: Not to mention that they do agriculture a little differently. Based on my research, apparently have perfected using machines to perform tasks like plowing, threshing grain, et cetera. They do agriculture at scale, not by hand. The extra land may be quite useful to actually turn a profit.

ELARA: I... guess.

The guard captain runs a hand through her hair, and gives you a look of newfound respect.

ELARA: You really must be a wealthy lord to afford all of this.

JOSEI: Uh, not exactly, I just have investors.

Elara gets a blank expression at that. Even Veldrin looks uncertain.

VELDRIN: What does that mean, exactly? Your liege gave you a loan?

JOSEI: Sort... of? Multiple parties have given me money to start up a business.

While Elara still looks a bit blank, Veldrin gives a nod.

VELDRIN: Ah. I see. Like merchants placing money on a trading venture? I'm assuming they will be wanting a cut of the proceeds.

You feel a bit off-balance, you were gearing up to give an explanation.

JOSEI: Yeah? That's basically it.

You can tell Elara is still struggling with the concept, and she purses her lips before asking a question.

ELARA: Are you some manner of noble then, to demand that merchants give you funds for supporting us and creating an estate for you?

Veldrin regards Elara, and takes on a slightly condescending tone.

VELDRIN: Remember, they don't have aristocracy. Also even if Josei was some great lord, going about threatening merchants for funds often leads to a short reign.

Elara shoots Veldrin a glare.

ELARA: I was asking Josei for guidance, not you, elf.

Veldrin rolls his eyes.

VELDRIN: In any case, I am assuming I will be getting custody of the farmhouse. From how it sounds, it has many amenities that my staff and I can put to good use.

The dark elf says this like he is making a pronouncement more than asking any kind of question, seemingly oblivious to the glare Elara shoots him. But this does raise the question... how are you going to allocate the farmhouse?

> Once again, pick a side... or find a compromise.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Reluctantly admit that Veldrin and his people can make the best use of the farmhouse for now, but make clear that they are there with the villagers, and will make every accommodation for their needs. We will be keeping an eye on this. If Veldrin doesn't like, there's a very nice tent with his name on it next to the ox pens.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

Blasphemaster posted:

You're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. You take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week, but all the decision of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of a business-end decision. Josei acts as tie breaker if necessary and can otherwise be thought of as a forward representative and primary important -thing-doer of the .... whatever this is.
Edit: Seconding this instead.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 6, 2024

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

You're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. You take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week, but all the decision of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of a business-end decision. Josei acts as tie breaker if necessary and can otherwise be thought of as a forward representative and primary important -thing-doer of the .... whatever this is.

edit: We should see about picking up an accountant. If the taxman gets curious we may get a visit from I.C.E. and maybe Blade Runners.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 6, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

I'm probably going to combine both suggestions with a focus on the anarcho-syndicalist commune idea. Josei can justify Veldrin having PRIMARY dibs on the farmhouse, since he is an archmage, and needs a place to set up a workshop, library, etc. But very much emphasizing this is based on need, and isn't a status symbol.

Blasphemaster posted:

edit: We should see about picking up an accountant. If the taxman gets curious we may get a visit from I.C.E. and maybe Blade Runners.

Do you want to break this down into something that would make sense to a fantasy guard captain and an archmage? Or do you want Josei to just do his best in his own words? They might have a vague idea of the concept of voting, but even something like 'executive officer' would cause confusion.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let's not quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail at them until they've had a chance to see it.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Oh fine, but we should at least put on History of the World Part One, Horrible Histories, and Drunk History on a playlist after going over the basic functions of a tribe-level democracy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Goddamnit how does every goon CYOA on a long enough timeline turn into an administrative civilization sim

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

In this situation we're less an immortal god king but a lucky schmuck.

Pull up YouTube on the smart TV.

Pull up short educational video.

Show them how the speech search function works.

Suggest they learn to vote by picking videos.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

McSpanky posted:

Reluctantly admit that Veldrin and his people can make the best use of the farmhouse for now, but make clear that they are there with the villagers, and will make every accommodation for their needs. We will be keeping an eye on this. If Veldrin doesn't like, there's a very nice tent with his name on it next to the ox pens.

Edit: Seconding this instead.

Blasphemaster posted:

Getting an accountant will be added to the List of Things.

AJ_Impy posted:

Let's not quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail at them until they've had a chance to see it.

Blasphemaster posted:

In this situation we're less an immortal god king but a lucky schmuck.

Pull up YouTube on the smart TV.

Pull up short educational video.

Show them how the speech search function works.

Suggest they learn to vote by picking videos.

You tap your chin for a moment.

JOSEI: Yeah... that makes sense, Veldrin. You need room for your workshop and library, right?

Veldrin smirks a bit.

VELDRIN: Of course. I can't work out of a tent, can I?

You can see Elara already narrowing her eyes, ready to jump in, so you hold up a hand.

JOSEI: OK, though you aren't going to be king of the castle. Elara's going to share the farmhouse too.

Veldrin pauses at that. He narrows his eyes at you, and you get the sense he's trying to understand how you've turned his idea against him.

VELDRIN: ..."Share the farmhouse?" What, so her town guard can stomp around, getting mud everywhere and rifling through my things?

JOSEI: No, so she can have a secure base of operations and not be working out of a tent. You're both going to share leadership.

While Veldrin's frustration seems to increase a bit, Elara just blinks at you.

ELARA: How does that work?

You give a shrug.

JOSEI: Democracy.

You get a pair of blank looks, so you sigh.

JOSEI: Like... you vote for stuff? You lay out a proposal to the village and they all vote on if they will do it or not. You know?

To your surprise, both of them seem to grasp the concept quickly.

ELARA: Like selecting a village headman or town mayor?

Veldrin folds his arms.

VELDRIN: In concept, that's workable. In practice, that's ridiculous. Most of the villagers are illiterate peasants. They need educated, literate people to lead them.

Once again, you feel a bit surprised when Elara gives a nod and agrees.

ELARA: Yeah... sir, I love the villagers dearly, but...

She gestures wordlessly.

ELARA: They aren't exactly going to be great decision makers. They've had me and my guardsmen handling most of their day-to-day concerns because otherwise they'd get into petty disputes every week over something or another.

JOSEI: Can you elaborate?

ELARA: Well... they keep arguing over who owns what. There's a lot of confusion over that, since everything was provided by Nike in the end.

JOSEI: That seems normal? It was a weird situation.

ELARA: Yes, but I mean - if they're struggling with that, it seems like a bad idea to entrust every single decision to a committee? We're not an adventuring party deciding which passageway to take in a dungeon or things like that. It's 60 people trying to make up their minds on what to do.

You grunt, trying to figure out how exactly to explain a representative democracy to them. The issue is that you don't even have a high school diploma, so you're making up stuff as you go along too.

JOSEI: Like... you won't make EVERY decision by committee. But anything important, yeah? Especially things that affect the direction of the community.

Veldrin is tapping his chin. Then, he grins a bit.

VELDRIN: You know what? I am fine with this plan.

INSIGHT ROLL: 19 +3 PERK BONUS (LUCK, ODIN) = 22 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

You exchange a look with Veldrin, and he stares back at you evenly. He agreed a little too quickly. Something seems a bit fishy... even Elara is giving him a slightly suspicious look.

In response to the stares, he shrugs, and spreads his hands.

VELDRIN: What? Elara, didn't you always say that the villagers need to have a voice? This is simply the best way to do it.

ELARA: Hnh. True, that.

You decide to move things along, for now.

JOSEI: Tying into that, we're going to be doing some education too. You know that television device?

It takes Elara a moment to put a name to the moving picture box before.

ELARA: Yes, what of it?

Meanwhile, once again, Veldrin is quicker on the uptake.

VELDRIN: You're hoping to use it to instruct the peasants, yes? I'm all for that, if it can make them more productive and everything more harmonious. I'm suspecting you'll have a list of programs or lectures or whatnot?

JOSEI: Uh... yeah, I was making them.

Veldrin continues speaking in a brisk tone.

VELDRIN: Give me the list, and show me how to work the device. Once we have moved to the property I can work out a schedule.

ELARA: With my input, I'm assuming?

He shrugs.

VELDRIN: If you wish, though it will be difficult for you to select content if you are not fully understanding it.

Elara bristles, and you hold up a hand. You're starting to feel like you'll need to frequently mediate between them.

JOSEI: Elara, I think what he's trying to say is that it makes sense to specialize. You can focus on organizing day to day while he's doing logistics or organizing the education of the villagers.

Elara nods slowly.

ELARA: Yeah, that... actually makes sense. I hate to admit it, but that makes sense.

VELDRIN: Apology accepted. Now that we have sorted this out, can we please go ahead and organize the evacuation?

The three of you spend the rest of the meeting working out the game plan. You'll be meeting with Nike to move the portal to the farmhouse property. Then both the town guard and Veldrin's guards will direct the community out to the farmhouse property. As you talk it out, you realize something.

JOSEI: You keep talking about your staff, Veldrin. What does that mean?

VELDRIN: ...the servants and others who work at the castle? Why?

JOSEI: Um. Elara, when you said there were 60 households, did that include the castle?

Elara pauses, and frowns.

ELARA: No... I didn't, um, think of that. I'm usually just thinking of the village.

You sigh.

JOSEI: How many people are there including both the village and Veldrin's people?

VELDRIN: The castle houses 40 souls, including the marshal who commands my personal guard, and the steward and the servants he oversees.

JOSEI: That's lovely. That adds up to 100 people, not 60, guys.

Veldrin shrugs.

VELDRIN: I've already been making arrangements. I spoke directly to Nike and negotiated for the removal of all personal belongings for myself and my staff. Thus, we shall strip anything that we personally own. We might have to make a few purchases to supplement, but if we can take the keep- er, farmhouse, as the headquarters, we shouldn't need much.

Veldrin has a bit of a smirk, and you suspect he will be taking a broad definition to 'personally own.'

ELARA: That's... not fair. The villagers are having to leave a lot of belongings behind. We were cleared to take clothes, heirlooms, and a set weight of belongings, just like you originally were.

Veldrin gives her an even look.

VELDRIN: Then it sounds like you need to talk to Nike, yes?

You clear your throat.

JOSEI: Veldrin, what exactly did Nike say?

VELDRIN: Hm? Well, he said... let's see. "Yes, your people are allowed to leave with any and all personal belongings. I want to make sure you have a good chance of suceeding out there."

JOSEI: "Your people" sounds like it applies to everyone in the simulation, Veldrin. Not just your forces.

VELDRIN: I suppose?

ELARA: That... makes sense. Usually he addresses us as a group. Alright. I'm going to leave and inform the villagers, they've been having to make tough choices. Anything else we need to talk about as a group?

You wave a hand.

JOSEI: Go ahead. I need to talk about some arcane stuff with Veldrin.

Elara blinks, and raises an eyebrow.

ELARA: Alright. You two have fun.

As Elara leaves, you turn your attention to Veldrin, who looks a bit bemused.
VELDRIN: You're a practicioner?

JOSEI: Nope. But there's a group of um, wizards at home who are, and they kinda expect all magic practicioners to be certified by them.

As always, Veldrin is quick on the uptake. His voice gets flat.

VELDRIN: They're a wizard's guild, I take it.

JOSEI: Well... yeah, pretty much. They call themselves the Council of Merlin. You really need to join up with them, Veldrin... they tend to come down like a ton of bricks on anyone who dabbles without being sanctioned.

You try to flatter him. It's not like you even need to lie.

JOSEI: You're kind of high up on the totem pole in terms of power level, so I think they'll probably notice your activities pretty quick.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 17 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 22 VS DC 24. FAILURE.

Unfortunately, this falls flat. He doesn't even pause to think about it.

VELDRIN: Thank you, but I'll pass. There are ways to conceal my activities.

> We need to come up with a convincing argument to convince him, or else this will be difficult.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I'm not endangering the farmhouse by having an unauthorized practitioner getting it levelled through enforcement actions. I'm not putting your staff or the rest of the people from the simulation at that much additional risk, it's not fair on them. The safety and security of all of you is paramount. This isn't the simulation any more, reality calls for compromise, and power showing up without accountability leads to hostile reactions. Even Nike has to accept their terms.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

AJ_Impy posted:

I'm not endangering the farmhouse by having an unauthorized practitioner getting it levelled through enforcement actions. I'm not putting your staff or the rest of the people from the simulation at that much additional risk, it's not fair on them. The safety and security of all of you is paramount. This isn't the simulation any more, reality calls for compromise, and power showing up without accountability leads to hostile reactions. Even Nike has to accept their terms.
Agreeing with this, we need to compromise or everyone's at risk.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

AJ_Impy posted:

Agreeing with this, we need to compromise or everyone's at risk.

JOSEI: Veldrin, I'm not endangering the farmhouse by having an unauthorized practitioner getting it levelled through enforcement actions. The safety and security of all of you is paramount.

JOSEI: This isn't the simulation any more, reality calls for compromise, and power showing up without accountability leads to hostile reactions. Even Nike has to accept their terms, and he's an interdimensionally traveling archmage who basically built you.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 9 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 14 VS DC 10. SUCCESS!

Veldrin starts tapping his chin again, thinking over your words.

VELDRIN: I... suppose I can bend the knee, then.

You hum a bit under your breath.

JOSEI: Listen... from what I understand, the Council of Merlin doesn't demand that you report to them regularly with your activities, or seek approval from them on everything you do.

JOSEI: My friend Kiara is registered with them, but she basically does her own thing. From what I understand, they just make sure you don't do anything insane like tearing random holes through reality or summoning demons willy-nilly.

VELDRIN: That is acceptable, then.

You exhale forcefully, feeling relieved.

JOSEI: Great.

After that, you rise and shake Veldrin's hand before heading out. He joins you, and you both head back through the village proper together. You can tell you've gained his respect for standing up to him, even if it's irritating for him at times. Maybe this whole crazy scheme is going to work out.

Later that afternoon, you set up a meeting with Ryder at the Crossroads. It seems natural to grab a beer with him while discussing the job you've picked up for gathering reagents for Apollyon.

You show up a minute or two early, settling in at the bar. With eerie timing, Ryder walks in too, dressed in his usual leather jacket and jeans, with his motorcycle helmet tucked under his arm. He gives you a punch on the arm as he settles in at the bar next to you.

RYDER: Yo Josei. How are ya?

JOSEI: Doing fine, Ryder. Thanks for asking.

He holds up two fingers as he spots the bartender. Today a nonhuman is tending the bar, a guy who has a strange pallor to his skin, and apparently doesn't breathe. You decide against prying about it. It's not like the bartender owes you an explanation on the nature of his existence, and this is the Underworld. The dullahan orders a dark stout, sort of like a Guiness. You decide to get something classic and get a scotch on the rocks. After a moment, Ryder breaks the silence first.

RYDER: So, what's up?

JOSEI: Ahh, well. I picked up a contract from Apollyon, some kind of reagent gathering thing. Need to get her some fae water, a unicorn horn, dragon's scales... this and that.

Ryder whistles, and looks impressed.

RYDER: You got work from Apollyon? What, on the side?

JOSEI: No, she actually put in a posting with Sami. Why?

The dullahan's eyes widen a bit.

RYDER: Whew. Bet that caused a few fireworks. You know the deal with them, right?

You give a sage nod, for once feeling glad that you aren't a clueless doofus about the Underworld. It wasn't hard to figure out the two were former lovers.

JOSEI: Ah, yeah, they used to be together and they split, right?

Ryder somehow looks even more surprised.

RYDER: Yeah, that's pretty much it. They threw in together back when... uh. Stuff happened.

He glances around, and clears his throat.

RYDER: Stuff we shouldn't talk about here, you know?

You give an even sager nod.

JOSEI: Yeah, of course, kinda racey, you know?

There's an awkward pause as Ryder gives you a weird look.

RYDER: I... guess that's a way to put it?

You stare evenly back at Ryder, feeling like you're missing something. Then you have a realization.

INSIGHT ROLL: 4 +3 PERK BONUS (LUCK, ODIN) = 7 VS DC 8. FAILURE.

Your drink is empty. You order another scotch on the rocks, and change the subject.

JOSEI: ANYWAY so. She needs a bunch of stuff, and I was thinking. If I like... subcontract to you and you grab the stuff, I could split some of the proceeds with you. Whaddaya think?

RYDER: Mmm... sure? You're thinking something more than just buying my unicorn off of me, then.

JOSEI: Yeah.

RYDER: Can I see the list?

You show it to him, and he pauses and snorts at the pure-of-heart virgin's lock of hair reagent.

RYDER: That one's gonna be hard.

JOSEI: ...yeah, I was sort of wondering how to verify that without getting either slapped or pinned as a sexual predator. I was thinking of asking Becca if she has ideas.

Ryder stares at you.

JOSEI: ...what?

RYDER: Bro... she's never been with anyone. I thought you knew?

JOSIE: Uh. No?

RYDER: I assumed that's why you brought a kid with you to kill the unicorn. It was weird that you didn't leverage her more, but I just figured you didn't want to risk it. But like... Fae beings can just tell, you know? It's A Thing.

JOSEI: That's... kind of weird and gross. You just have a virgin detector built in?

He sighs, and rolls his eyes.

RYDER: It's more that virgins have a different aura, okay? It's not like I have virgin detecting sonar and I'm pinging everyone I meet, Jesus.

JOSEI: Uh... right. Anyway. So you in?

RYDER: Depends. What do you have on the table for payment?

You pause, unsure. Ryder's never seemed very interested in getting a lot of cash, or soulmarks. He always wanted mementos like Dirk's eye, or the unicorn horn. You're pretty sure he won't just let the unicorn horn go without something similar in value.

> Completing the reagent gathering bounty will give us $1,000,000 and 6 soulmarks. Do we offer some of that to Ryder, or do we go for something else?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

How about VIP affiliate status and a stake in our project? Like if The Crossroads is a urban city bar/Sami HQ with meeting rooms and lodging, Our place will be more of a rural supernatural Poconos resort and spa / Bounty Hunter retreat with on-site archimage and about a hundred low-tech specialists. Just throwing that out there. Or we can simply split the proceeds of the bounty as is tradition, little column A, little column B. We've still got that silver bear mace if he's interested in that.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 6, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Offer one of our treasure doodads, maybe that silver mace. We're not a mace wielding guy. If he won't take it, we could simply traditionally split our bounty proceeds a bit with him

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Offer one of our treasure doodads, maybe that silver mace. We're not a mace wielding guy. If he won't take it, we could simply traditionally split our bounty proceeds a bit with him

Blasphemaster posted:

How about VIP affiliate status and a stake in our project? Like if The Crossroads is a urban city bar/Sami HQ with meeting rooms and lodging, Our place will be more of a rural supernatural Poconos resort and spa / Bounty Hunter retreat with on-site archimage and about a hundred low-tech specialists. Just throwing that out there. Or we can simply split the proceeds of the bounty as is tradition, little column A, little column B. We've still got that silver bear mace if he's interested in that.

JOSEI: I got a couple things. DId you hear about the resort I'm building?

RYDER: No, what's up with that?

JOSEI: Basically my version of the Crossroads, sort of a rural supernatural Poconos resort and spa / bounty hunter retreat with on-site archmage. I could hook you up with a VIP affiliate status and even a stake in the project, if you want.

You pause.

RYDER: ...huh. That actually sounds pretty awesome.

JOSEI: Yeah, and for the unicorn horn... well. I have a bear mace.

Ryder blinks.

RYDER: I can just get that at a camping supply store, Josei.

JOSEI: Not this kind of bear mace. It's one of a kind.

With a perfectly straight face, you pull the silver mace shaped like a bear and present it to Ryder. He stares at it, then at you, then bursts out laughing.

RYDER: Ah, stars and stones, that's a joke worthy of the Fae! Sure, I'll trade.

He reaches into his jacket and holds out the unicorn horn, and happily takes the bear mace.

RYDER: You have to understand, I like collecting things for the stories. This works for me just as well as that old horn did. The resort... sure, though I probably would be happy with just the VIP status. I'm not one to get tied down, you feel me?

JOSEI: Yeah, I feel ya. You sure you don't at least want some cash, though?

The dullahan gives a shrug.

RYDER: If it makes you feel better, sure, I'll take some of the cash bounty. Gotta cover my bar tabs somehow, you know?

You feel glad that you made a connection with Ryder... he's proving to be a pretty solid guy, in his strange way. You end up spending most of the evening with him, and eventually Ivan joins in and the three of you drink yourselves blind. A good time was had by all.

The next morning, you wake up with a raging hangover, but feel satisfied with yourself despite it. You're one fourth of the way done with Apollyon's bounty. You take a few aspirin and have some breakfast before tending to your dog. You have to admit... having Goodboy has helped you be a LITTLE more responsible. You can't just gently caress around anymore, he has his little routine.

You get a phone call from Kenjiro, confirming that Rebecca's lab equipment has arrived. You make some arrangements to have it delivered, and contact Rebecca.

REBECCA: Hey-hey!

JOSEI: Ugh... not so loud
REBECCA: Come on! It's almost noon, Josei!

You check your clock, and feel relieved when you realize Rebecca is joking about the time. It's still only 9 am.

JOSEI: I still got three hours, dammit. Let me slowly warm up my brain in peace with coffee and painkillers.

REBECCA: Pffft. Were you calling me for a reason or did you just want to complain about having a hangover?

JOSEI: Your lab equipment's come in. I'm going to arrange for a truck to drop it off at the farmhouse, you good to help with unpacking it all?

REBECCA: Sure. Um. We won't have any help? It's gonna be heavy.

You pause.

JOSEI: Lemme ask Ivan and Ryder if they can lend a hand, okay? Three guys with like, hand trucks and a furniture dolly and stuff, would that be enough?

REBECCA: Ummm... yeah, I think so? We can even set up stuff in the barn, I can get plywood to lay down. I figure the NPCs are gonna take up most of the farmhouse.

JOSEI: Sounds like a plan.

You wrap up your call with Rebecca, and ring up Ivan and Ryder. Both of them readily agree to come lend a hand, especially after you promise to buy dinner for the team along with some booze for the folks who are of legal age. After you folks all arrive at the farmhouse property, a semi rolls up with a shipping container filled with Rebecca's laboratory equipment and supplies.

Ryder and Ivan prove invaluable with their strength and expertise in moving heavy stuff. Despite what looks like tons of cardboard boxes filled with small things, there are also machines that need to be lowered and rolled down onto the ground using a forklift. To your surprise, Ryder actually has experience driving those things. He seems to be a very storied guy, that's for sure.

While the gang is busy in the barn, you hear a car honk from the driveway of the farmhouse. You glance at Ivan, Ryder, and Rebecca.

JOSEI: Guys, I'll go find out what that is. You all good?

There is a chorus of replies of affirmation, and you step out of the barn and see a bunch of unfamiliar black cars and SUVs parked in front of the farmhouse. Whoever they are, they're dressed like security or something similar. Most of them are in black suits with black sunglasses. They're spread out rather menacingly. You wonder if you have somehow gotten the attention of the feds, when someone steps out of the lead SUV.

It's a familiar, green, snouted, and almost lizardlike face... Sokolov.

SOKOLOV: Hey, if it isn't Fishman! Nice place you're sitting up here.

The dragon draws a cigar out of a jacket pocket, and ignites it with a lick of flame from his mouth. He gestures expansively with the glowing red tip of the cigar as he continues.

SOKOLOV: Is Ivan kicking around?

You paste a smile on your face.

JOSEI: Hey, Mr. Sokolov! Uh, Ivan's-

Sokolov interrupts you in a strangely cheerful tone.

SOKOLOV: Don't bullshit me. I can smell that stink of his a mile away. But really, I'm not here to talk to him. I know he's broke. He came and told me straight up.

You fall silent. You have a bad feeling, and would rather just let Sokolov to get to the point rather than verbally sparring with him.

SOKOLOV: I hear you're setting up a little... business venture, out here. You got big plans, even an investor, yeah?

You clear your throat.

JOSEI: I wouldn't call it big. Just... a little side hustle, you know?

SOKOLOV: Uh-huh. C'mon, Fishman, let's go for a walk and talk. Don't worry, I won't bite.

The dragon laughs at his own joke as you join him. He puts a clawed hand on your shoulder, and firmly leads you to walk along the driveway. You notice his guards don't bother to follow. They probably figure the boss can take care of himself.

SOKOLOV: Now, you been keeping up with Underworld politics, boyo?

JOSEI: Uh... here and there.

SOKOLOV: Right. You know how ganking Dominika's thrown things in a tizzy, right?

JOSEI: Yeah? I've heard the Black Court and House Corvinus are still sorting things out.

SOKOLOV: Yeah, they sure are. And that leaves a power vacuum. And you see, besides me and Apollyon and Sami, there ain't a real big power here no more, yeah?

You get a sinking feeling.

JOSEI: What, you're taking everything over?

SOKOLOV: Everything? I wouldn't say EVERYTHING... but the nice thing about territory is that it has its own inertia to it.

SOKOLOV: Anyway! You want to start another Crossroads out here, yeah? Well, I think it'd be a shame if you went to all that work and you know, something happened to it.

Sokolov gives you a genial pat on the shoulder, his tongue flicking out like a snake's.

SOKOLOV: So you give me, I don't know, just a pittance. 100K, how about that? We get a nice business relationship going, and I'll make sure that nothing bad happens. You gotta need a patron, right? Don't want just ANYONE coming in and loving with your poo poo, Fishman.

You decide to take refuge in seeming like a clueless idiot. You scratch your head and furrow your brow with a suitably stupid expression.

JOSEI: Uh... wouldn't Sami step in if people, well, gently caress with my poo poo?

SOKOLOV: Pfft - ha!

He laughs hard, so hard that he belches a small fireball out of his mouth. It sails up through the air and slowly dissipates without the dragon even seeming to notice he did it.

SOKOLOV: So here's how it works. Yeah, your patron is Sami, sure. She'd get pissed if I laid a finger on ya. She's even put some money down on the thing you're building out here.

SOKOLOV: But that don't mean she's claimed this shithole as her demesne, yeah? So that means ANYONE could just walk in, and screw with it, and she wouldn't have a leg to stand on per the Unseelie Accords. As long as you don't get hurt.

He pauses, facing you, and blows a cloud of acrid smoke into your face. It stings your eyes, making you wince. You realize he's enjoying this, just a bit too much.

SOKOLOV: Such as for instance, oh, I don't know... a complete rear end in a top hat comes in, burns down the place, then like... murders that pretty girlfriend of yours.

JOSEI: I, what?

He snaps his fingers a few times, his claws making a CLICK each time.

SOKOLOV: Goddammit, what's her name... Charlotte! Yeah. A real catch. It'd be loving awful if someone just bit her pretty head right off, you know?

He stares at you with his reptilian eyes for a moment, before nodding towards the farmhouse.

SOKOLOV: So I think to protect your investment, it'd be a real good idea if you made a nice payment of 100 grand to yours truly. I'll keep an eye on things, and nobody fucks with you.

SOKOLOV: You agree, right? You're not some loving moron.

Your mouth goes dry. You aren't sure what to do, but one thing you're certain of is that if you pay Sokolov, he'll be coming back again later to ask for another installment. That's always the way things like this work.

But do you have a choice?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

We're not refusing here, just want to feel out the finer details and possibly. suggest an alternative payment plan. If he's offering to stay his hand and actually provide security for the property and residents from threats such as wouldn't draw Sami's intervention, it's something we would have had to arrange anyway. He's a dragon mob boss, there was no way this wasn't going to happen; tribute or a strong defense are our options, and we can't take a dragon. Massive oversight on our part.

Make it a business arrangement instead of or on top a business arrangement. We could also provide payment in the form of providing lodging for his men and build bespoke personal rooms specifically for him and his personal guests. There's plenty of land and time to have an architect fiddle with the design. If there's a particular amenity he's fond of we can be sure to accommodate. If not then we're short of options other than paying the tribute.

Better to have expensive and reputedly brutal security than the alternative. Plus we're making progressively more powerful buddies as we do our work, so maybe Sokolov has an accident down the line.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 7, 2024

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Yeah, silver-tongue our way into an upgrade from cash cow to investment.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Honestly, having a place like ours available to Sokolov would give him another carrot for his guys. Do a good job and you get resort duty or a paid weekend there.

But be careful working with organized crime. Don't want to end up like Gus's brother.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Just take the deal. He might have us stuck between a rock and a hard place, but that's no reason to get even deeper in bed with him. He's gonna want some serious concessions for investment.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

With one vote for just paying him the 100k, and two votes for trying to turn it into more of a partnership, I'm going to wait a while longer for a consensus.

If by this evening the vote totals haven't changed, Josei will go ahead and try to cut a deal.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Did Shadowrun teach you people nothing? Never deal with a dragon!

Politely defer, and mention that before we can give him a firm answer we'll need to check on our budget for extra security measures with our current investment partners, the Bank of Hell.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

From what I'm seeing, we have a tie regarding partnering with Sokolov, at least for now. If that holds until this evening Josei will probably try to defer a decision until later, and will pay up to Sokolov if the dragon gets pointed about wanting an initial payment ASAP. So basically, we'll procrastinate.

If someone tiebreaks then I'll revise the plan accordingly and will move forward.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

With no tiebreaker, Josei is going to try to thread the needle. Let's see how that goes.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

As you stand there, trying to make up your mind, you hear a faint whisper.

ATHENA: Play to your strengths. Remember how the last meeting with him ended?

As always, Sokolov tilts his head a moment, seeming to pick up on Athena. You interrupt him by pasting on a wide smile, and clapping him on the back. You notice in the distance, all his bodyguards tensing. Meanwhile, he seems bewildered as he regains his balance.

JOSEI: Well, gosh, Mr. Sokolov! You're such a nice guy, offering to help give me some security.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 14 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 19 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

Sokolov pauses, blinking as he stares at you.

SOKOLOV: What?

You do your best imitation of seeming as cheerfully dim as possible.

JOSEI: Yeah! I mean I'm just barely starting out, and here you are, personally offering to help keep me and my folks safe? Just wait until the fish hear about this one!

There's a long pause.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 20 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 25 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

SOKOLOV: ...alright. Uh. I think... I was maybe a LITTLE too indirect with-

JOSEI: No, no! I get it. You're just a guy who's got a really big heart, and that's impressive to an aspiring fish like me. And like, I'm REALLY interested, but I gotta consult with my business partners first. Both Sami and the Infernal Bank of Hades give me a lotta money!

SOKOLOV: Sure yeah, cool your fins down. Look, buddy, you don't get it. I'm trying to shake you down.

You give him the best blank look of your entire life, with an expression so full of well-meaning geniality and so empty of any comprehension that it could fill up a truck. You blink at him.

JOSEI: ...shake me down? What, do I got something on my jacket?

You make a big show of staring at yourself and trying to dust yourself off.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 7 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 12 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

Sokolov heaves a long, hissing sigh.

SOKOLOV: gently caress. Alright. How about this? You tell your handler, and the folks at the IBoH that a dragon was trying to get you to pay protection money. Listen really carefully to what they tell you to do, alright?

JOSEI: Sure! I was gonna tell them that you were wanting to give me security.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 20 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 25 VS DC 16. SUCCESS!

SOKOLOV: ...don't just say security, say that it's for protection-

He throws up his hands.

SOKOLOV: You know what? Screw it. This is a waste of my time. Listen, I'll come by in a month or two to check in, alright? After you're more settled. Tiamat, you're dumb.

You give a big frown.

JOSEI: That's kind of mean.

SOKOLOV: I ain't a nice guy, Fishman. You have a great rest of the week, alright? Don't go try and breathe water or something.

He turns, and heads back to the car, climbing in and slamming the door shut behind him. Within seconds, the vehicles drive off with a squeal of tires, kicking up dust.

You can't believe that worked. You offer a brief, quiet prayer of thanks to Athena, and hell, to Fortuna too, because why not.

ATHENA: You're welcome. I'll also pass on the thanks to Tyche... and really, a part of me wonders if she's been meddling lately, too. You're getting to be a bit popular on Olympus, I can say that.

After you make sure the convoy of vehicles has vanished into the horizon, you wander back towards the barn. You notice Rebecca standing just outside of it, looking bemused.

REBECCA: What was that about?

You give a half-shrug.

JOSEI: Dragon tried to shake us down, I convinced him to go away.

REBECCA: ...ooo, what, did you threaten him?

JOSEI: Nah. Just made him think he was talking to the village idiot. How's it going?

Rebecca gets a curious expression, but then decides to drop it for now. She instead turns and waves you into the barn.

REBECCA: C'mon, take a look!

You obediently follow behind her, and find yourself stunned. All the equipment is unpacked and arranged, set up neatly on the plywood. There's banks of computers, monitors, and other apparatus you can barely comprehend. Rebecca starts giving you an eager rundown of her setup.

REBECCA: Okay so, this is is a quantum field analyzer, and THIS is actually a capacitator bank, DON'T TOUCH IT, and...

You eventually feel like your head is swimming with jargon, as Ivan and Ryder watch you from a distance with an amused expression. You can see that they're sharing a flask of vodka, and you wish you could join them right now. Instead you just nod and make appropriately appreciative noises while you think about what to have for dinner.

All at once, the stream of Rebecca's excited chatter cuts out, and she grins at you with an expression of excitement.

REBECCA: ...you think that's a good idea too, then?

JOSEI: Uh, what?

REBECCA: I'm gonna use my mom's equipment back in the Leland Vault to act as a beacon, but set things up so she can actually route her to teleport in.

You blink, dragging your mind back from thinking about pizzas, burgers, and Chinese takeout.

JOSEI: Uh, a little bit lost here.

Rebecca huffs in frustration.

REBECCA: I've got an uplink to her old lab in Archive X, in the Leland Vault, remember?

You stare at her.

JOSEI: This is news to me, what?? You downloaded a bunch of stuff and left it all behind.

Now it's Rebecca's turn to look confused. You stand your ground. Even if you were zoned out, you would have noticed if she was talking about the Leland Vault.

At least, you're 99% certain you would. Or maybe 80%. There's a decent coin flip in there, anyway.

REBECCA: Um... hm.

She taps her chin.

REBECCA: Wait. You're right. I THOUGHT about telling you, but then I forgot to. Well, um, this is awkward.

The young lady rubs her neck, and chuckles in a nervous manner.

REBECCA: So, um, when I was downloading everything, I installed some backdoors into her old kit in the Leland Vault. I didn't have a specific plan... but you know, I wasn't going to pass up on the opportunity.

REBECCA: It'll let me securely remote in through a dedicated connection via quantum tunneling, so it's pretty much secure. I was thinking that like... trying to do the teleportation job I was doing earlier would still be risky, and take a lot of time AND a power draw.

REBECCA: But if I was just to set it up as a beacon, it would draw a lot of attention to the Leland Vault... and away from here. That way it could act as a lighthouse for my mom. Then I could weaken the dimensional barrier here, so that when she is trying to create a portal, this will be the path of least resistance. There'd be enough of a signature for her to triangulate, without putting us at risk.

REBECCA: That way, I figure these IDPD guys will get drawn to the Leland Vault, my mom escapes here, and nobody is the wiser. What do you think?

Becca beams at you, pleased with her plan. You're impressed - in a way, she's thinking of hiding in plain sight. It's clever. It's definitely better than any of the vague ideas you had so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
With you so far. Can you set my mind at ease on the implications and consequences of 'Weakening the Dimensional Barrier'?