Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

twistedmentat posted:

Guess i'm going to have to explore this world a bit more. Find more wolves to kill and POI to investigate. Hopefully this will unlock being able to make metal tools, I hate walking around with stone for so long.
iirc you have to buy and build the Refined Workbench to start including metal in tools, which is available with essence traders in Provisioner realms first as you go through the story quests.

You should also occasionally check your crafting journal (i.e. the crafting section of the journal) to see if there's stuff you could make but you haven't built the right augmentation by the crafting station.

The level of fiddling around that's possible and/or necessary with the crafting system in this game is probably the best and worst thing about it.

BUT. The materials you use change the visuals of the results in addition to the stats. I've got a Winchester made almost entirely of "pursuit" which is a green metal that's great for ranged damage and it looks fantastic.

stringless fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea the materials being used affecting the stats of stuff is super cool.

And I'm used to lots of workbenches. Conan is notorious for having lots of benches.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I'm fine with the workbench situation, but "lol" at the storage situation. I finally unlocked the 40-slot chest that only takes iirc lumber and ingots to make instead of the first one I unlocked that specifically requires brass ingots.

And I've still got rows on rows of baskets for the stuff that doesn't need that many slots yet because you've got to actually have things in your inventory to use them so it's got to be sorted. Every time I get home it's a mad dash back and forth across the house to put things in the right place because even though I know where things go, the inventory sorting doesn't and half the poo poo has generic icons lmao

You'd think "fabled" Chitin and whatnot would have the crown on it like all the other things that have icons do. Nope!

/e: you know what, I think the stuff with missing icons is my biggest peeve. Like how do "coal" and "sulphur" not have icons?? All the tier 2 fibers have biome-specific icons, and the basic components for crafting the game's version of gunpowder don't?

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 18, 2024

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
I've started simply going to each and every trader in each and every biome in each and every new difficulty card, to make sure I don't miss any thing that might be vital. I apparently lucked out getting the 40 slot 2 ingot 2 lumber chest as my first real storage option. Brass is a pain in the rear end to make.

Don't get me wrong, I like realm hopping as a mechanic, but in early access just the general wonkiness of everything can make it a huge chore.

I just now completed the quest to get the Elder Eoten Heart offering and it involved running across the swamp to talk to Levine, and then either running back across the swamp to the portal or hitting "return to respite" which puts me on the opposite corner of the map from where my estate actually is, so by the time I had spoken to her, crafted 3 lesser curative potions, crafted the cloth, gems, and oil she wanted, and brought her back an extra offering feast, I had run about 8 kilometers. I wish relevant quest NPCs were just sat next the portal every time like Aurealius or whatever his name was.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ess posted:

or hitting "return to respite" which puts me on the opposite corner of the map from where my estate actually is,
... build an Estate Cairn by your estate instead of across the map

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

If you have multiple estates down for whatever reason you need to tell the game which one to use.

Also for anyone running into the nightmare that is end game clothing, I saw someone post somewhere (and confirmed it works) that for 1 fabric you can get 10 cloth which saves you a bunch on fibre. You just convert the fabric into coating and you get 10 and they can be used in place of cloth. This is likely not intended so I wouldn't expect it to be there for long but farming Jana meat all day for end game clothes really isn't that fun.

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 19, 2024

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Hi! So I picked this up on release and have every intention of playing it but I've decided to let it cook a little longer based on the initial release feedback, I know it's not been that long yet, but have they made any progress at all so far?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Hi! So I picked this up on release and have every intention of playing it but I've decided to let it cook a little longer based on the initial release feedback, I know it's not been that long yet, but have they made any progress at all so far?

Not a massive amount imo. I'm still waiting a bit for QOL mainly
All the patches are detailed here. There's also a post with a roadmap of sorts.
https://playnightingale.com/news/

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

FFT posted:

... build an Estate Cairn by your estate instead of across the map

I do have one down but there seems to be some kind of bug that whenever you travel through a portal it resets the location of where the respite is? I have definitely appeared by the cairn all of one time. The cairn shows as being my respite location as well, but still teleports me across the map when I hit the button.

I'm also leery of full on deleting it to place it back down again because I've already lost my abeyance realm through happenstance once.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think my biggest issue with this game is how much stuff is locked behind quests. I just really want metal gear, I planted my estate right next to a ton of tin for that reason, but i keep needing to run around farming essence to upgrade my gear. I've done all the POI in the fancy forest area, and the wolves drop rate is awful. And the other enemies don't drop it at all.

Also i hate their grenade throwers.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Whip out a sickle while you're running around, chop grass, extract for essence.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I think my biggest issue with this game is how much stuff is locked behind quests. I just really want metal gear, I planted my estate right next to a ton of tin for that reason, but i keep needing to run around farming essence to upgrade my gear. I've done all the POI in the fancy forest area, and the wolves drop rate is awful. And the other enemies don't drop it at all.

Also i hate their grenade throwers.

You shouldn't need basic essence for much. If you're doing the Open New Realm Dungeon - > visit new realm - > Buy Recipes and Finish POIs -> craft new gear loop you should barely need to farm anything. I just kind of naturally got what I needed as I unlocked the next realm card.

I will say some of the quests are stupid given that you then need to backtrack to previously visited realms but that's a slightly different issue.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ess posted:

I do have one down but there seems to be some kind of bug that whenever you travel through a portal it resets the location of where the respite is? I have definitely appeared by the cairn all of one time. The cairn shows as being my respite location as well, but still teleports me across the map when I hit the button.

I'm also leery of full on deleting it to place it back down again because I've already lost my abeyance realm through happenstance once.
Can you not make another while one's already "active"? I was under the impression that only the most recently-made one would count.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

YerDa Zabam posted:

Not a massive amount imo. I'm still waiting a bit for QOL mainly
All the patches are detailed here. There's also a post with a roadmap of sorts.
https://playnightingale.com/news/

Thanks, appreciate it.. I shall let it cook a bit more then.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Another trick I learned late in the game, if you are making a weapon with wood and it uses lumber at all, make gilded lumber with a metal that gives melee or ranged damage because it can be used in place of regular lumber and is additive with whatever bonuses you get out of the lumber itself.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Looks like a pretty major patch today. Most important change is you can now craft from storage.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

twistedmentat posted:

Looks like a pretty major patch today. Most important change is you can now craft from storage.

Ffffuck, i took a break but i might come back for thid

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

These new QoL things are really nice. They tidied up a lot of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

lemonadesweetheart posted:

These new QoL things are really nice. They tidied up a lot of things.

They really did.

• Stack-sizes are massively increased. Not sure what the limit is now, but it might be 999 instead of 99.
  • Crafting times reduced and standardized.
  • Craft from storage. No longer a need to retrieve stuff from chests, trunks or baskets.
  • New interface, including queues for crafting, so you don't have to wait for 10 minutes before getting the smelter going again.
  • Reworked bonuses for stacking attributes on weapons.
  • More Bound enemy-types and some rebalance of existing ones.

There's still work to be done, but this update was a good one. Since, at this point, the main draw of these survival games are aesthetic, I hope this one succeeds, because it's right up my alley.