Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

According to the developer, "Nightingale is a shared world survival-crafting game set in a rich gaslamp Victorian fantasy setting." Which doesn't really tell you poo poo. Basically, it takes some of the standards of survival games (making tools/weapons/building shelter) and combines it with a bit of extraction shooter. Made by Inflexion Games, it's available on Steam and EGS. No word on whether they plan to eventually bring it to consoles.

Set in an alternate timeline Victorian era, humans have been friendly with the Fae which allowed them to move between Realms via portals. Realms are alternate dimensions where things are Weird. At some point relations between the two went sour, and then a deadly fog called the Pale started seeping out of the portals. The stable network of Portals was shut down, and the only remaining city left on Earth is Nightingale. You are a hapless idiot who jumped through a portal before it closed and now you are gently caress-knows-where with things clamoring for your blood. Then a Fae going by the name of Puck appears saying he will help you and walks you through a rather uninspiring tutorial. After that you're turned loose to try and find your way back to Nightingale with some guidance from Puck and other Realmwalkers and survivors.

Gameplay
Starting with the mainstays of survival games you'll need a home base from which to operate, officially known as an Estate. At the end of the tutorial, Puck gives you the option to choose from a forest, desert, or swamp biome. It's recommended you start with the forest, the other biomes have environmental hazards that can be a pain when just starting. In levels of difficulty/annoyance, it goes forest -> swamp -> desert, at least IMO. Swamps are, well, swampy and you can get sick if you spend too much time standing in the water that's everywhere. It does have plenty of resources, as opposed to the desert, where you'll cook if you stand in the sun too long and there are very few resources compared to the other two biomes. Once you've picked, you are teleported to that realm where you'll need to set up a base. At first you have a bare minimum of blueprints, though you can expand these as you progress. Building is done by silhouette, so you can plan out what you want your place to look like and then add the necessary materials. This base can be teleported to no matter where you are, so you don't have to run all the way back to a portal at the end of an exploration run which is nice. Choosing a site is mostly cosmetic; at first you can only use the portal found in every realm but later on you can build your own at base. There is hunger in the game but no thirst - proximity to water is only for aesthetics and fishing should you want to supplement your diet. You also want to craft tools and clothing, though the latter isn't necessary for at least a bit.

Essence is the currency of the realms. You can break down pretty much anything in your inventory for it, and you'll also get it randomly from harvesting and killing enemies. There's currently a glitch/exploit where you can get unlimited essence which I expect to be patched out soon. I'll spoiler that below. Essence is used to repair your gear and buy blueprints and resources. Every realm has at least one (sometimes multiple) "essence traders" who will sell you poo poo. Always check these when you go to a new place, especially after a few story missions because they have blueprints for things you need to progress, and the all-important decorative items to tart up your home.

Combat is...okay. Not the best, not the worst for this type of game. Damage is locational so headshots/weakpoints will do more damage, and also type-based. Some enemies are weaker to say, piercing damage from your pick than slashing damage from your axe. There is also elemental damage. So far I've seen ice, electricity, fire, and poison. Your axe, pick, and slingbow will carry you into midgame without issue as long as you keep upgrading them. Blocking will even mitigate getting lit on fire as long as you time it right, which helps a lot with bosses.

Realm Cards
The thing that sets Nightingale apart from similar games in the genre. When you want to go to a new place, you need two cards: a Biome card and a Major card. Biome is self-explanatory. Right now there are only forest/swamp/desert. No idea if they plan on others later. The Major card sets the difficulty and faction that will appear in that realm. There are also Minor cards, which need to be played once in the realm itself, and these are basically modifiers. Most of them have a positive and negative trait, so double check before playing it. Minor cards are played at Realmic Transmuters which are tagged on the map. Major cards are unlocked as you progress by completing the equivalent of dungeons. Several can be found in your base area and are locked by gear score, more on that later. Worlds are semi-procedurally generated (the map itself is static but POIs and enemy placement is random), but only the first time you play them. So if you play Forest Astrolabe, it procedurally generates but every subsequent time you play those two cards it will be the same realm. This is good because sometimes you want to go back to a place to finish exploring or grab something. Once you've cleared a POI they stay cleared. Done everything there is to do? You can check the "reset realm" box and it will act as if you haven't been there. Be forewarned that this will delete any structures you've made including chests and the contents therein so grab all your stored goodies before doing this. If you have to run home to drop off resources the portal will stay open a bit. If you're longer than a couple of minutes it will close but it's not necessary to use two more cards, you can just reopen it. If you want to go elsewhere then clear the cards and play new ones. Cards are consumables and only useable once. If you go to a forest, then the desert and want to go back to a forest you'll need to make new ones. They're made from ink and paper which can be crafted. Basic ones will use anything, but the further you go the rarer the paper and ink required. Which leads to...

Crafting
The meat and potatoes of the game, even moreso than realm cards IMO. A lot of survival games have progression crafting, like stone to bronze to iron, etc. Nightingale is much more in-depth than this. Yes, there are different metals and you'll go from lovely stone tools to firearms, but everything except the most basic materials have modifiers. When you're just starting out anything will do, but as you progress you want to pay attention to what you use to make something. A certain kind of animal hide might have a health modifier, another an endurance modifier. So when you're making that pair of pants, do you want more health or want to be able to swing your axe a few more times before becoming exhausted? These benefits stack so you can craft different sets of things for different benefits if you're so inclined. Materials also give different appearance to items, ever important for pretty princess dressup. Higher level realm cards may require special ink or paper (or both). You will also get items as drops or rewards which can be stuck on gear and are modifiers. Everything from poison resist to better ranged damage. To use them, just put it in your inventory and attach it to whatever is appropriate.

Crafting requires the use of crafting stations, and there are a shitload of them. Honestly too many in my opinion - you need a large base to accommodate all of them unless you want your place to look like something out of Hoarders. Or at least larger than the "fireplace, workbench and bed" that a lot of survival games allow. Also stations receive buffs from being indoors, being on a foundation and not dirt, and proximity to one another. You can examine any station to see what modifiers it has going on. These decrease crafting times and augmentations like a toolbox or bellows will unlock additional recipes.

Whenever you build something, it requires resources. You can mix and match if needed; say something requires 3 ingots. It's fine to use 1 tin, 1 copper, and 1 iron if that's what you have. This is different than making something inside a workstation, where you need X amount of the same item. Carved wood requires 4 lumber, but you can't use 2 regular wood and 2 hardwood, if that makes sense. I haven't found that materials make a difference when making workstations so you can use the shittiest stuff you have on hand for that worktable and save the good stuff for something that matters. Food also gives HP/stam, the higher quality the ingredients the better the buff. Same rules apply, predator meat is different from prey meat, but this matters less since you can jam it all in your face. You can starve to death, so pay attention to the bar in the lower left hand corner. Similar to Valheim, you can have 3 food buffs active but I haven't come across any fancy new recipes yet but that may be because I still only have the most basic fireplace. Puck even made fun of me for eating slop :(

Gear Score
The equivalent of leveling up in this game, GS is based on the quality of your equipment. There is no putting points into stats, health/endurance is determined by your clothing. Your starting clothes are level 16, and 20 is required for the first dungeon. So you're gonna need a new pair of pants. Craft these from hide/leather gotten by murdering things. Also make a new set of tools in the workbench. Once you've gotten to 20 you can do the first dungeon and get a new Major card which will kick off the gameplay loop. If you can't enter make sure all of your gear is of the highest level you can craft. To get to the next level, you'll have to explore the new level of realm to get better stuff and so on. You can upgrade the quality of clothes/tools with an upgrade bench. Higher tiers of bench. will change it to common/uncommon etc. Each of these upgrades requires higher tier essences. Fairly self explanatory. Also you will look like a hobo for a good long while, the nice clothes are much higher up the chain so don't expect to look like a proper lady/gent until much later.

Recruits
While out in the world you'll come across NPCs which can be recruited. There'll be an indicator if they're recruitable. Pros: they don't have carryweight and any equipped gear doesn't degrade. They can rez you in a fight and can be rezzed. Health regenerates on its own so you don't need to feed them or give them potions. They hit fairly hard and have a large health pool that can be augmented with better gear. Cons: they're incredibly stupid. Like, there's no I in their AI if you catch my drift. They'll stand in your fireplace and set themselves alight. They'll absolutely decimate that lovely forest around your base you picked for aesthetics if equipped with an axe. They will be busy chopping trees while you're getting punched in the face by something or randomly attack passive wildlife, causing mayhem. Useful enough if you're playing solo, and you can still recruit when playing coop if you need more cannon fodder. You can also recruit them, take all their clothes and then dismiss them if you're feeling particularly saucy. My first recruit was so aggressively stupid I did this, and the second one has been inoffensive enough that I've become somewhat fond of him, even if he's still an idiot. There's no practical difference in the factions so recruit whoever you like (and then discard them when somebody else takes your fancy).

Co-Op
Nightingale is PvE. You can have up to 6 players in coop, plus recruits. Currently the game is online only, however due to a lot of hollering and issues they are planning to allow offline play. Obviously if you want to MP you'll still need to go online. I haven't played any coop so I can't really offer much here, but if others have and want to contribute or try to arrange intergoonal play then knock yourselves out. You can set coop to public or private depending on if you want to play with pubbies or friends. If randos are your thing, when you go to open a portal, you can set it to Public. This makes it so you can see and interact with anyone else who joins the same public realm. At least that's what I gather, it's not super well explained.

Impressions
The game is in EA. It does have some issues, right now server problems/lag even while playing SP seem to be common. There isn't a huge variety in enemies. They differ from biome to biome but each biome's critters are generally palette swaps. The Bound, which are the humanoid enemies are in every realm and you're going to get sick of fighting them. The game is very pretty. Well, the biomes are pretty, the character models not so much. They sure don't look as nice as in the art/previews. It's still got some rough edges but worth the price point, I think. Also the tutorial is very hand-holdy but after that you're just vaguely pointed in a direction so if you're at a loss of what to do next, just ask and I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

Other poo poo
How the hell do I make ammo for my crossbow? - Your crossbow is actually a fancy slingshot. Make marbles in the workbench out of crude rocks.
How do I get all the essences? - Go to the essence trader in your home realm. Buy water bottles for 4 essence apiece, then break them down for 10 essence. You do the math.
Where do I find the blueprint for X - https://www.ign.com/wikis/nightingale/All_Recipes_and_Schematics_and_How_to_Get_Them

If I've hosed something up let me know, game has been out less than a week and there isn't a lot of info out there yet. See you in the swamps, Realmwalkers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug
In regards to the swamp realm, you can jump constantly while in the water to not get the wet and the diseased effect. Swamps also have ore, uncertain if forests have them.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

They're doing a twitch drop for the EA release (until the 29th?), and from what I can see the umbrella+gear is all substantially better than anything you can craft in the first couple of biomes. It also may or may not look better, depending on your opinion of purple. When you claim the drops they spawn as items in your game and also give you the recipe (meaning you can craft them later with higher tier materials), so it's quite worth pulling up a tab and setting it to 1% volume in the background for the handful of hours it will take to earn the relevant ones.

There are definitely issues. Game is very unfinished.

Load times even on a fast rig are very long, it's got memory leaks, combat is pretty anemic, and the material grind is real. Building is quite janky - every new survival builder needs to just steal wholesale from Valheim. That said, the environments are very pretty, the crafting system is interesting, the use of cards to set biomes and difficulty and other modifiers is neat, and the setting is interesting.

Rianlee posted:

In regards to the swamp realm, you can jump constantly while in the water to not get the wet and the diseased effect. Swamps also have ore, uncertain if forests have them.
Forests have stone and ore on rocky outcroppings, hills, and cliffsides.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Rianlee posted:

Unless the goddamn essence trader spawns there :mad:

Every biome has ore, gems, wood, fiber, and predators/prey. Quality depends on the difficulty.

The load times are related to the servers, I think. Once you can play offline you might find you load quicker. For the drops I might see if anyone I can tolerate is streaming it. Or someone I can't and as said, turn the volume all the way down :v:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Just started this and left twitch in the background while I tried figuring poo poo out. Now I've a daunty lil dachshund with a jaunty lil top hat. You can pet them and they drop lil essence baubles every once in a while. I can't stop making lil houses. Do resources like rocks and stuff respawn?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Not sure. I've heard both yes and no. One of the streams I watched to get drops mentioned you can regrow stuff with a spell but I'm sure that's higher level. Most of the area around my base is cleared and I haven't seen any regrowth but it may also be one of those things where you need to keep out of an area for stuff to respawn. If you've deforested the nearby area you can always open a portal to another realm and get stuff.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Resources definitely respawn. I know for a fact the wandering spirit thing regrows trees and plants in the area, and the rocks/ore around my little base camp have reset a few times now. Couldn't tell you for certain what triggered the reset though. Likely a combination of time + distance, or maybe "long rest"?

I think I'm at the early midgame now, and it's really dragging out. I've got a gear upgrade path now but it's still the same gear I've had for the last ~6 hours, and the only thing I've found that uses metal to build is bigger storage chests.

Crafting benches not pulling from storage around your base gets really annoying. I believe they've already said they're going to look into that though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
What GS are you? I was stuck at 80 for a good chunk of time, but that's because I'm an idiot and didn't realize I was trying to get into the Hunt dungeon and not Gloom. Oops. Now I'm at 120 and working through all the quests to get the things to open the next story gate. Gloom only requires GS 65 I think, so if you haven't done that one then bang it out because the traders in gloom realms sell the next level of upgrade bench which will get you to blues.

I spent literally all afternoon/evening chopping goddamn trees to get lumber so I could build a new fancy base. The shitshack I was living in was fine but I like building in these games. They do need to make it less grindy. However I now have a lovely Tudor mansion with a fantastic view of the ocean sunrise/sunset.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The first time I tried to get into the Antiquarian dungeon I didn't know about GS requirements yet and I bounced off all the way to the ground. Which healed my busted ankle, but broke my leg.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nice OP, OP. Have only very briefly tried this but am looking forward to getting deeper into it once things settle a bit in EA.

SubponticatePoster posted:

a lovely Tudor mansion with a fantastic view of the ocean sunrise/sunset.

Pics, c’mon!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

14 hours in I finally realized that recruits don't have an inventory weight limit, only an inventory tile limit.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I'm loving the game so far. I'm into the T2 workbenches now and it's a lot of metal. Like a looottt of metal. And the big hammer guys were a nice surprise, it was exciting to see harder and more interesting enemies. I hope they add a lot more variety to the game, and I hope they improve the combat AI because right now combat is comically easy, it's basically just a gear check.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Mendrian posted:

I'm loving the game so far. I'm into the T2 workbenches now and it's a lot of metal. Like a looottt of metal. And the big hammer guys were a nice surprise, it was exciting to see harder and more interesting enemies. I hope they add a lot more variety to the game, and I hope they improve the combat AI because right now combat is comically easy, it's basically just a gear check.

do you have to purchase the t2 workbenches are do they just organically upgrade with the right "add-on" placeables like in Valheim? I've been trying to figure that out.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

FFT posted:

14 hours in I finally realized that recruits don't have an inventory weight limit, only an inventory tile limit.
Careful what you load them down with though - the stupid AI loves to dump all your nice new shiny T2+ wood into the fire/smelter.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FFT posted:

The first time I tried to get into the Antiquarian dungeon I didn't know about GS requirements yet and I bounced off all the way to the ground. Which healed my busted ankle, but broke my leg.
My only death so far was getting punted off the top of a very tall floating tower trying to get the next realm card. The simple salves you can craft in your campfire heal those injuries and they're dirt easy to make.

Ess posted:

do you have to purchase the t2 workbenches are do they just organically upgrade with the right "add-on" placeables like in Valheim? I've been trying to figure that out.
Those have to be purchased, but they're really cheap. I think the schematic was a whopping 15 T2 essence, which I had hundreds of by that point.

Hopefully they add the option to increase harvests like a lot of other games do - it's fun to play but not super fun to chop trees for hours on end. That or cut the costs in half.

Subjunctive posted:

Pics, c’mon!
Ok, I'll try to grab something. FF7 releases tonight so I'm going to make some food and start wasting my life on that for a couple of days :v:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Can Charms, Enchantments and Infusions all co-exist on an items or do they use the same kind of slots?

Is there any logic to why you can apply some infusions to some slots and not others?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

My only death so far was getting punted off the top of a very tall floating tower trying to get the next realm card. The simple salves you can craft in your campfire heal those injuries and they're dirt easy to make.
Oh, yeah, I had several in my inventory, but at the time I hadn't seen how easy they were to make, so I didn't use one until the broken leg lol

Mendrian posted:

Can Charms, Enchantments and Infusions all co-exist on an items or do they use the same kind of slots?

Is there any logic to why you can apply some infusions to some slots and not others?
If they've got a tier, they have to go into a slot of that tier (items get one slot per tier starting with Uncommon). Charms and enchantments can go into any slot as far as I can tell.

/e: actually the slots themselves appear to be untiered, so anything can go into any slot as long as it's not a higher tier than the item itself.

Anyway: I ran into a peaceful-seeming swamp giant. Gave him some bacon, got back a whole bunch of T2 essence I think? Cool guy.

stringless fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 29, 2024

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Oh! Okay, everything of Uncommon or better can hold:

One charm (a "Perks" window slides out when you hover over something with a charm on it)
One enchantment (a "Spells" window slides out when you hover over something with an enchantment on it)
Up to three infusions, of any matching or lesser rarity.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I've decided that I don't actually like the big club-wielding Bound enemies after all.

On the other hand, the magical bear Callisto, the Wronged respawned in there when I was walking back up so that's twice the Tier 2 Fabled Bone, Hide, and Meat for me I suppose.

In case that's not clear, a giant club wielder smacked me off the top of a Fae Tower thing and I wasn't ready for it and sloppy-handed trying to get my umbrella out ineffectively. The screenshot is from where I landed after walking back. Presumably my recruit was already downed or they'd have warped to recover me.

Also the whole Recruit thing is hilarious. "I just helped you build your house so now you should come with me into increasingly dangerous environments while I weigh you down with the heavy stuff I don't want to carry."

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 1, 2024

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

my favourite is when they dump all my good wood into the loving campfire

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah I've made it a habit to swap the good stuff back to my inventory prior to jumping back home. Once I forgot and was literally chasing the guy down because the second we got home he sprinted to try and get poo poo into the fire. You can always break the fire down and get all the contents back if you forgot or aren't quick enough on the draw. It's stupid you can't just access the inventory if it's full, what dumbass thought that was a good idea?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I have so many wicker baskets

What fucker decided you had to have brass for the first decent chest

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
There are two 40-slot chests, the smaller one requires brass and the larger doesn't.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

There are two 40-slot chests, the smaller one requires brass and the larger doesn't.
Ah, I've only gotten the template for the brass one.

Seriously this is just the ones that aren't placed next to the specific relevant crafter:

(The one closest to the bed in the second picture is for fish because it's funnier that way)

stringless fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 1, 2024

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

An exact duplicate of my recruit spawned on a Bastion of Intellect somehow.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FFT posted:

Ah, I've only gotten the template for the brass one.

Seriously this is just the ones that aren't placed next to the specific relevant crafter:

(The one closest to the bed in the second picture is for fish because it's funnier that way)

That looks really nice. I built the most basic stone hut, but I plan on expanding it as needed. Though is there an easy way to remove placed parts that isn't just knocking them down? Are the realm cards one use? So if i go to a place with better rocks, i can only go there once with those cards, and have to wait until i create more?

Its really satisfying seeing the rockbow nail a pig right in the face.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

FFT posted:

I have so many wicker baskets

What fucker decided you had to have brass for the first decent chest

Pretty sure you can get brass ingots out of some chests when you take a pick axe to them after you've emptied it out. I can't remember which type, i tried fae just now and it wasn't that. Maybe human.

FFT posted:

An exact duplicate of my recruit spawned on a Bastion of Intellect somehow.

Had this happen multiple times, still have a clone that hangs out near my abeyance estate and likes to track wolves into my house.

twistedmentat posted:

That looks really nice. I built the most basic stone hut, but I plan on expanding it as needed. Though is there an easy way to remove placed parts that isn't just knocking them down? Are the realm cards one use? So if i go to a place with better rocks, i can only go there once with those cards, and have to wait until i create more?

Its really satisfying seeing the rockbow nail a pig right in the face.

You can create multiple portals near your house that will remain open to a specific pair of cards, so technically you could have one for each combination.

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 2, 2024

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

In addition to using Synchronous Lotuses to create permanent portals, the main portal can always reconnect to the last place you went until you "reset" it to connect to a different realm.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKwRRlfnixQ&t=10s

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

twistedmentat posted:

If you go into building mode, there should be an option to remove a block. On controller it's down d-pad to open building mode and then click in right stick (I think, that or left). Not sure what it is on KB if you're using that but it's there. Just deletes whatever your cursor is over and drops the mats so you don't lose anything. Also works on ghost blocks if you are laying out your base and want to change it.

Portals have been covered, but until you reset a portal you can just reopen it and go back through. So if you were mining and filled up inventory and traveled back home, then when you hit the portal you have the option to reopen or reset it. Reopening won't cost you any cards. If you reset it then you'll need cards again. If you're still operating out of the default portal in your respite realm and want to go elsewhere then yeah you're going to burn some cards. Once you can craft your own then it gets easier, not only for not needing to hoof it but you can just build multiples for realms so you can dip in and out as you need materials. If you've cleared all the POIs and want to go back in and loot more, check the "reset realm" box when you open a portal to a realm you've been in before. This will cost cards, but then more loot!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Also if you're just dropping stuff off, the portal stays open for a few minutes after you jump back. Now that I know how the custom portals work I'll probably build a better base somewhere else, but for now I've just got a base that's right next to the real portal.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Twice now, as soon as I step into the gloom unlock dungeon and start fighting, it throws a network connection error at me and forces me to manually kill the executable. Even went away and came back a few hours later to the same result. This is some bullshit.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

sushibandit posted:

Twice now, as soon as I step into the gloom unlock dungeon and start fighting, it throws a network connection error at me and forces me to manually kill the executable. Even went away and came back a few hours later to the same result. This is some bullshit.
That's super weird. Log a bug ticket maybe? I did have a couple instances where it was disconnecting but after a restart it worked fine. Sounds like that didn't do it for you though :(

FFT posted:

Also if you're just dropping stuff off, the portal stays open for a few minutes after you jump back. Now that I know how the custom portals work I'll probably build a better base somewhere else, but for now I've just got a base that's right next to the real portal.
Yeah I've got a few set up right now, eventually want to have a bunch of portals a la Valheim.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Do trees and rocks regen? My friend and I ruined the local ecosystem and it's very barren now.

Also, something about this game feels off. It doesn't feel great to play but there's enough to like to keep going.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The vines that grow on the lower parts of some trees definitely regen even if the trees don't, it's pretty funny to see.

There's definitely some amount of respawning, I've seen ores respawn sometimes just by turning around after clearing part of an area, but it may take a while/closing and reopening and various other magical thinking methods perhaps.

Probably easier to just hit some other place for parts in the meantime. There's probably some range from stuff you've built where stuff doesn't regenerate.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Is there a decent overview or wiki somewhere of things like the different building sets? I really want to get into this game vs enshrouded once my valheim addiction is done.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Last I checked it was loving blank with a bunch of misspellings at the same time. Looking for information on recipes and locations of things between legit, AI-generated, or a weird blend of the two. Here or the subreddit (I know) are probbaly the best way to get info

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The in-game journal seems pretty decent for finding out things but you kinda forget it's there a lot of the time.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Do trees and rocks regen? My friend and I ruined the local ecosystem and it's very barren now.

Also, something about this game feels off. It doesn't feel great to play but there's enough to like to keep going.

from my understanding those big blue spirits that wander around the map regrow depleted resources as they go by. I've seen it happen (cleared a bunch of trees in a forest biome, had him come by and regrow all the trees instantly, was cool to see) but in my desert abeyance biome my estate is now sitting on a barren, tragic little collection of stumps next to an oasis and he just never comes by. So... I don't know. I think the spirits are supposed to come by when you clear out big chunks of a biome but it seems pretty inconsistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Figured out how to delete building parts. just hit V on the keyboard to go into building mode and x when looking at what you want to dismantle.

I must say the hireling made the first boss super easy. As it only focused on me, I ran around shooting rocks at it while the hireling just swung away. Also I found out that sadly, they don't have the same kind of lust for breaking rocks as they have for chopping trees.

The buying and dismantling bottles still works so now i have 7k essance and bought everything the first seller has, which means I can smelt ore but i have no recipies for metal stuff. I figure once i open the portal Puck is telling me to open I'll learn how to do it.

Ess posted:

from my understanding those big blue spirits that wander around the map regrow depleted resources as they go by. I've seen it happen (cleared a bunch of trees in a forest biome, had him come by and regrow all the trees instantly, was cool to see) but in my desert abeyance biome my estate is now sitting on a barren, tragic little collection of stumps next to an oasis and he just never comes by. So... I don't know. I think the spirits are supposed to come by when you clear out big chunks of a biome but it seems pretty inconsistent.

Mostly i see them walking through the woods knocking down trees.