Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
My sister is notorious for having a filthy home. She wears clean clothes, has fine hygiene, has a professional job, but just can't be assed for cleaning. Her first engagement was broken off when they decided to live together for a few months before getting married. He was a very spic-n-span clean dude and after one month it was all over.

She later married a fellow slob and they have a wonderful house and yard. They have a maid service every other week but the place is still a mess every time I visit. Sink unusable due to the dishes piled in there. Frig is full of leftover take-out food containers; like a wall of them; enough to feed two families for a couple of days if they hadn't been left to rot.

I visited for a few days and they had to work, so I went to work cleaning the place; dishes, bathrooms, vacuuming floors and furniture. Did a few loads of laundry. I cleaned walls. They got home that evening and asked if the cleaning service had come in force or something. No, I just spent about 4 hours cleaning your house. They were stunned and slightly ashamed.

Next time I visited it was exactly the same. smdh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

titty_baby_ posted:

I had another roommate in the boarding house who would cook bacon every day. The stove was always covered in a layer of grease. He would dump the hot grease into dead potted plants outside on the deck and then rats would scoop it out at night and you'd see their little paw marks. The pots belonged to another roommate and when he told bacon guy to stop dumping bacon grease bacon guy said "where should I dump it then?" And when we suggested a jar he said "what is a pot but a jar without a lid"

lol at the american cooking meme of fat is bad and therefore should be thrown out instead of saved for making a roux or just frying up other things.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

The truth is 99% of fat savers never loving use it, so it just sits there until someone else has to get rid of it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
eat more veggie stir fries, yorkshire pudding, hash, make more gravy.

or make soap that hopefully doesnt smell like its sourced food

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Mr Teatime posted:

The truth is 99% of fat savers never loving use it, so it just sits there until someone else has to get rid of it.

i cook with fat almost every day

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I’m prepared to admit my incredibly scientific percentage might be off but I am also adamant that only intervention has prevented on several occasions me living in the house from that one Junji Ito story.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Also she stole our VCR and ran up $400 in calls to Miss Cleo before leaving.

lol I like the time capsule, $400 at a time when VCRs were worth stealing is a lot of cheddar.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This is a multimillionaire's room btw

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Sweet WoW Rig: $7500
Monthly Door Dash Bill: $1500
Being a Millionaire: $1,000,000
Spending your fleeting time in this worldly existence hitting the level cap: Priceless

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

unplug their computer and introduce them to cocaine

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
had a roommate who would take acid, get drunker than hell and piss in the fridge, then pass out on the huge kitchen island. this happened multiple times, enough times that if I came home and saw the fridge door was cracked I knew, without a doubt, that as I rounded the corner I would see his naked rear end sleeping on the island

he always deep cleaned the fridge the next day though, so can't say he was all bad. actually would rate him pretty high on the overall roommate tier list for me. he later met and married a woman he met playing world of warcraft. keep living the life, Dean. always paid rent on time and otherwise kept a pretty tidy place

edit: when living in a house with like 6 other people the kitchen was a loving disaster. i love to cook so this was really unacceptable for me, mainly just people putting dishes or pots into the sinks and never actually cleaning them. eventually i just started throwing everyone's poo poo away if it was left in the sink for a day. soon we had no dishes, no utensils pots or pans. i thought for sure someone was gonna get all pissy and fight about it, but nope. everyone just kind of accepted that all our poo poo disappeared instead of magicially getting cleaned once a week when someone's girlfriend would come over. the only thing that remained communal use was a george foreman grill, and even on that I threw away the little grease catcher at the bottom because no one cleaned it. people did start using tin foil to make little boats to catch the grease and that was actually a great system because i would just throw that poo poo away. eventually we had no problems, people bought paper plates or whatever or just started eating out 100% of the time. i would cart some pots and pans back and forth from my room to the kitchen whenever i wanted to cook.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 2, 2024

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
All I can say is depression and ADHD is a loving bitch. I live like a slob sometimes but I was at least better when I had roommates or a partner living with me. I probably could have done more to contribute to chores but I at least kept things reasonably clean. I think the lack of shame has been my downfall. Apparently for some they just don't care or maybe they too are having mental problems and just can't cope.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

PhazonLink posted:

lol at the american cooking meme of fat is bad and therefore should be thrown out instead of saved for making a roux or just frying up other things.

He didn't really cook anything other then bacon and eggs. His diet afaik was mainly breakfast foods, large sandwiches, and salads.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Three Olives posted:

Straight men, our house is always spotless, dishes are immediately put in one of the dishwashers the second we are done with it, the Roomba vacuums and mops the house three days a week and there are always fresh cut flowers in the living room, kitchen and hallway.

read this without reading the username, thought to myself "this has to be a humblebrag 3O post"

it was! :)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I would never say it to someone who had gifted them to me, but cut flowers legit make me sad. I want them to live like a plant clipping. ):

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I lived in a lot of punk and heavy metal type party houses where the communal areas were pretty rank.

We could usually organize ourselves to clean poo poo up and make it nice for a while. Eventually too many drunken antics / cooking projects and it was a gnarly again.

I usually kept my own bedroom as nice as I could though. Cant say the same for some of the other guys. We had a guy who got stoned alone all the time and would hoard plates in his room. Just stacks of them. He use them as ashtrays and let them go mouldy.

Usually id clear them out and spray them off in the plastic kiddy pool we used for beers. One day he had the nerve to ask "did one of you guys go in my room?"

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Poohs Packin posted:

One day he had the nerve to ask "did one of you guys go in my room?"

One of my slob roommates came home one day after I'd cleaned the entire living room (including piles of empty pizza boxes) and his only reaction was to ask what I'd done with all his tubs of garlic sauce. That he'd been storing in between the couch cushions.

At the same house I also let a homeless lady in one day to collect recycling, since the living room was a forest of bottles and cans. She was horrified at the squalor and left as soon as she filled her bag.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Das Boo posted:

He ended up moving out with a cop girlfriend who left her loving gun out on the table, unattended.

oh like there's a better place for a gun

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I dont want my above story to give the impression that I was without sin.

One winter we missed garbage day like 3 weeks in a row and garbage just started piling up in the garage. None of us had a plan. We were producing more than could be hauled off in the City can.

Raccoons started living in it. One night at a kegger we got my buddy real whisky drunk on Old Crow and paid him to "dispose of it, no questions".

He started running the bags across a 4 lane stroad and we figured he was doing the "ninja bin" thing. Nope.

Got a knock the next day from the cops and hed just thrown them all (maybe 20 bags) over a retaining wall into someones yard. They found a piece of mail and called the police.

We all sheepishly picked up the trash and carried it back to the garage.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Good gods, the filth in which some people choose to live is mindboggling. I had a fairly solitary roommate once who did somehow manage to contain their poo poo. Well enough, that is, that we didn't grasp the state of things until a couple of months in when Roommate 2 went into the verminlord's room to pick up a CD or something for him and did an full-on reproduction of Abe Simpson backing out of the burlesque parlor, with an indescribable scene of squalor serving as the burlesque parlor and a free-range rat playing the role of Bart.

Roommate 2's initial impression was that the verminlord had an enemy who had gotten in and trashed their room, but, surprise!, they just lived like that. They apparently knew well enough to keep it out of everyone else's business, but didn't mind things like needing to find their remote underneath one of the half-eaten slices of pizza sitting atop a pile of junk or being able to turn over in bed without knocking a banana peel to the floor. It's that awareness that gets me—as far as I know, none of us ever pressed them for an understanding of how they see the world that could produce that behavior.

lol, I think they even had an SA account back in the day: this poster

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Novo posted:

At the same house I also let a homeless lady in one day to collect recycling, since the living room was a forest of bottles and cans. She was horrified at the squalor and left as soon as she filled her bag.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Toxic Mental posted:

This is a multimillionaire's room btw

that poor get together with friends box never served its purpose :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

Poohs Packin posted:

I dont want my above story to give the impression that I was without sin.

One winter we missed garbage day like 3 weeks in a row and garbage just started piling up in the garage. None of us had a plan. We were producing more than could be hauled off in the City can.

Raccoons started living in it. One night at a kegger we got my buddy real whisky drunk on Old Crow and paid him to "dispose of it, no questions".

He started running the bags across a 4 lane stroad and we figured he was doing the "ninja bin" thing. Nope.

Got a knock the next day from the cops and hed just thrown them all (maybe 20 bags) over a retaining wall into someones yard. They found a piece of mail and called the police.

We all sheepishly picked up the trash and carried it back to the garage.

I mean one trash pile is better than two trash piles and rather than pick that one up he threw yours down.