Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I dont mean who were messy, or never cleaned their own room. I mean roommates who straight up never cleaned, ever.

I lived with a few people like this at various points (not for long thankfully) to the point where they were content living in absolute filth. Once the garbage can was full, just threw garbage on the floor. One who didn’t even shower.

I always wondered how someone came to be like that, and what became of them once I moved out and stopped trying to keep the place from becoming a complete disaster. Did they just slowly drown in garbage? Did anyone else ever cross paths with someone like this?

pencilhands fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I've always been my own roommate so I don't have to worry about getting judged when I don't clean up.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I burnt out in college and took time off to stay with family. Left town for the duration, still paid rent and utilities, let my roommate know I'd be back in 3 months.

I came back to a bathroom that remained uncleaned since I'd left. There was pink mold on the shower curtain, beard trimmings on the sink, and piss around the toilet. I promised never to room with a man again while I scrubbed the floor until my knuckles bled. While he watched some lovely sitcom on the couch.

He ended up moving out with a cop girlfriend who left her loving gun out on the table, unattended.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
A college roommate was a complete slob, rarely cleaned anything; dishes, bedding, clothes etc. He'd rather throw dishes away than clean them.
Strangely enough a very fun and cool guy otherwise. I went to his family's home one summer to get his share of a rent deposit and I was just, "Oh, now I get it". It was a nice house but an absolute pigsty. Like literally kicking trash out of the way to walk around. Sat on the couch after clearing it of trash; just brushing it to the floor.

It's like his parents had some mental disease and had passed it on to their son.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Das Boo posted:

I burnt out in college and took time off to stay with family. Left town for the duration, still paid rent and utilities, let my roommate know I'd be back in 3 months.

I came back to a bathroom that remained uncleaned since I'd left. There was pink mold on the shower curtain, beard trimmings on the sink, and piss around the toilet. I promised never to room with a man again while I scrubbed the floor until my knuckles bled. While he watched some lovely sitcom on the couch.

He ended up moving out with a cop girlfriend who left her loving gun out on the table, unattended.

It does seem to be a man problem. I had one woman roommate who was sort of like this but she just left her room a pigsty and never contributed to household chores, but she at least had the decency to not gently caress up the common areas.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I don't understand, is this like some sort of horrible house guest? You should tell them to leave.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

At one point in college I just kept all of my dishes in my room because my roommates would use all there dishes then use all mine before cleaning anything

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

pencilhands posted:

It does seem to be a man problem. I had one woman roommate who was sort of like this but she just left her room a pigsty and never contributed to household chores, but she at least had the decency to not gently caress up the common areas.

I'm probably being sexist but also I never wanna clean up drunk guy piss again. ):

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Three Olives posted:

I don't understand, is this like some sort of horrible house guest? You should tell them to leave.

Do you know how a lease works?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

pencilhands posted:

Do you know how a lease works?

The only lease 3O knows comes to his car that he trades in every year for the new model.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Never had the misfortune of having to room with anyone. Did share a kitchen once, that sucked

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
While at uni we had a new guy move into our share house and he wouldn't clean the poo smear from the toilet seat after he'd used it. To be fair, I don't think he even knew he was doing it. I gather he was wiping front to back and then sitting back down to get more toilet paper or whatever and the smeared poo would transfer to the back of the toilet seat. At least, that's my theory.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I had a room mate who cleaned, showered every day and everything, but he had a very odd body odour. He was very busy with his job and mostly ate fastfood and tv dinners when he was at home. He was also stressed up to his ears and I think those two things combined is what made him smell so strange.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Das Boo posted:

I'm probably being sexist but also I never wanna clean up drunk guy piss again. ):

You can solve this problem by drilling a hole in the floor for them

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
3O exposing how dumb he is off the bat. Guessing his husband handles finances lol

I had some bad housemates before but turns out a nice place and other housemates who pull their own weight means they get replaced pretty loving quickly.

Now the laziest housemate I have is my cat, but she's adorable so I let her walk over me. Sometimes literally.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I don’t mean to sound sexist but I don’t trust any man to be clean. In any capacity.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Worf posted:

You can solve this problem by drilling a hole in the floor for them

paging HolePisser1982

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
My post college roommate was a boilerplate fatso slob pothead guy, which was whatever, since I mainly hung out in my room and had crazy person ways of doing things that didn’t require us to rely on one another (I have my dish and my bowl and my glass and my towel, etc, that stay in my room so what do I care if he’s living like the damned in the “common” area). As a result, the area outside of my room was a damp, grody man-bog.

The one aspect of his filth-making that confused me was that he left small piles of pennies and dirt lying around the house. If I cleaned up the pennies and dirt, new ones would soon appear. Like, he was using the rent money I gave him to buy pot and coke (which eventually got us kicked out), but he always had plenty of pennies and dirt. Or, he didn’t, because he was leaving them around the house and I was picking them up.

It was very unnerving in a Blair Witch sort of way. I never asked him why he did it because I’m too standoffish and awkward to know anything about anyone ever. His heart exploded a few years back, so I can never know the secret of the pennies and dirt.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

During my sophomore year of college I took a handful of classes over the summer and stayed in the dorms. I got assigned two random roommates since overall enrollment was a lot lower in the summer session and my previous roommates had gone home.

The day that I moved in the entire kitchen was covered in computer parts; one of my new roommates had decided to completely disassemble and then reassemble his computer for fun. I tried not to be an rear end in a top hat but I asked where we were supposed to eat and he was like "Uh, in your BED?"

The other roommate was a super Christian kid who barely spoke to anyone so he wouldn't confront this guy about anything.

The computer guy wasn't exceptionally gross but he would just lay things down everything. The aforementioned computer stuff got moved to the floor around his bed, then when he stepped on something he literally taped pieces of the computer to the walls around his bed.

When I moved out at the end of the semester he told me I was one of his best friends and that I kept the room from getting "too Christian".

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
One year in college I got an off-campus apartment and roomed with a guy from work.

Things I encountered in no particular order:

• Shag carpeting used as a tablecloth
  • Pot roast left in the oven for over a week (he believed it was safe to eat from it)
  • His cat giving birth on the living room carpet the night I had to study for a Biochem exam
  • A small, wall-hanging bamboo screen used as kitchen decor playing host to a roach colony (which RAINED roaches when I hit it with Bengal)
  • The occasional half-naked middle-aged women he would find rare success hitting on from work lounging on the questionable couch
  • The perfectly square hole cut in the patio screen for him to feed squirrels

Needless to say I lived out of my room from canned goods, non perishables and the occasional food from home. Thank God I had my own bathroom.

I got out of there before my lease was up and swapped in with some other poor sucker from work.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

One housemate got it in his head he’d begin making guitars rather than traditional employment. So he filled the garage with crap so he could stand there all day listening to far right radio. Got in habit of opening oven & looking closely before baking anything to make sure he hadn’t begun using it as storage again. Got defensive when politely asked to lock the front door if he left & no one was home or to not let his alarm go until 11am as he lay in bed. I don’t think he sold a single guitar.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

My roommate leaves trash and recycling on the kitchen counter when the garbage can is two steps away and the recycling is 3 steps and a toss out the back door. He also doesn't know how to turn lights off after leaving a room. I can't be assed to say anything because he's on the closer side of 40 and should know better.

Saalkin fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 28, 2024

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Das Boo posted:

Buddy works for the county & they can tell when one of the detectives didn’t wash his hands because he left his gun in the sink again.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Yes, twice. Mold on the walls, piss all over the bathroom, trash piled for weeks or months around the garbage can, the sink was a fettid pit, flies were a constant problem.

I even have photos from the most recent time since it was only a few years ago.

Sometimes life sucks and you don't get to be picky about a roof over your head but now that I can be picky I say they were disgusting subhuman filth.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

A Fancy Hat posted:

When I moved out at the end of the semester he told me I was one of his best friends and that I kept the room from getting "too Christian".

Hail Satan?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Somebody keeps pooping on the floor of my 1br apartment

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

sorry

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

pencilhands posted:

A woman living alone can easily be just as gross, if not more gross, than a man. The actual difference is that women are way less likely to impose their grossness on others. Or even more fundamentally, women are more likely to realize that letting the house get gross is an imposition on their roommates, and men are more capable of just being completely oblivious (yes i am an oblivious man)

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

One of my most frustrating housemates was a young women who came from a home where they cleaned dishes before they cooked, not after

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

titty_baby_ posted:

One of my most frustrating housemates was a young women who came from a home where they cleaned dishes before they cooked, not after

Don't attack me like this.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Grey Cat posted:

Don't attack me like this.

Learn to be civilized then.

Lick the plates clean after you eat.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

See this is why I need to get a dog. It would really cut my plate washing in half.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Grey Cat posted:

See this is why I need to get a dog. It would really cut my plate washing in half.

turn off ur monitor

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Worf posted:

Somebody keeps pooping on the floor of my 1br apartment

But you don't have a roomate?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I'd say out of all the roommates I've had in my life, mostly men, 10% cleaned up after themselves.

Men are disgusting.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Jelly posted:

I'd say out of all the roommates I've had in my life, mostly men, 10% cleaned up after themselves.

Men are disgusting.

:hmmyes:

This is pretty much my experience.
Girls kept common spaces clean guys just... didn't.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Jelly posted:

Men are disgusting.

Straight men, our house is always spotless, dishes are immediately put in one of the dishwashers the second we are done with it, the Roomba vacuums and mops the house three days a week and there are always fresh cut flowers in the living room, kitchen and hallway.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I had roommates that wouldn't clean their cat's litter box in the bathroom, for like over a month. Eventually we ended up having guests stay with us and one of them is a germaphobe, so I ended up cleaning the litter box (and the wall next to the litter box). It was gnarly.

They were cool otherwise, and we're still friends, but drat that litter box. I felt pretty bad for the cats.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My very first room rental was in a big old house in Seattle with something like six other college students. I had a tiny basement room that had a door into the dirt crawlspace under the front porch and also a giant wet hole in the wall that the winter damp constantly ate away at. For Thanksgiving, my roommates had a big get-together potluck, and then left all the dishes in the sink for a month. When I finally took it upon myself to clean them, I discovered that the base of the Thanksgiving dish ziggurat was a big dish of half-eaten green bean casserole, and the half of the dish that had been eaten was now filled with mold. At one point, a new guy moved into the other downstairs bedroom and I don't think he showered a single time he lived there, and I still have a sense-memory of the combination of body odor and mold that would seep into my room whenever he opened his door.

I was the only person who ever cleaned and felt somewhat galled when one of the house members called us all together for a meeting to chastise us for "not doing our part" in keeping the house tidy. This was the same guy whose room contained a single twin mattress, a tiny desk with a gaming computer, and nine glass floor-to-ceiling shelving units crowded with anime figurines. To his credit, they were not covered in semen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Three Olives posted:

Straight men, our house is always spotless, dishes are immediately put in one of the dishwashers the second we are done with it, the Roomba vacuums and mops the house three days a week and there are always fresh cut flowers in the living room, kitchen and hallway.

Am I... gay?