Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

wow that went straight from normal politician guff to triple brackets poo poo way faster than expected

From sharing bum space with billionaires and millionaires one month, to shouting like an alky bus bum the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I regret to inform you that defibrillators are now woke
https://twitter.com/TheFreds/status/1783975866319396962

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
pft in my days good old days blokes down the pub would just thump themselves in the chest a few time to get the old heart ticking again when it played up of a saturday surfeit of pasties, fags and lager

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What a time to be alive.

As opposed to dead of a heart attack.

Because of the defibrilator.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Reveilled posted:

I'll admit I didn't expect Salmond to basically give them the political equivalent of a tradesman's "gently caress off" price,

my theory is this shows just how much Salmond is aware that Alba's hosed in actual elections, the electoral pact coming before anything else because it's the only hope he'll still have MSPs after uh, whenever the next vote is. not even trying to make inroads into government

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

What a time to be alive.

As opposed to dead of a heart attack.

Because of the defibrilator.

I tried to call an ambulance but instead I was shocked with 10k volts, because of woke.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Reveilled posted:

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1784333851755516333?t=QjGhkm6C-VYzLpAGfUwpKw

Seems like that'll be the end for Yousaf. What a massive strategic blunder this week has been for the SNP, just an incredible display of weakness to stab their long-standing allies in the back, especially when Harvie and Slater were publically backing the close relationship with the SNP. There was no guarantee the Green membership was going to vote to dissolve the coalition, and even if it had resulted in a vote against, while it would have been politically damaging it wouldn't have hurt half as much as this vote is going to. If they truly believed that the Greens quitting the coalition was an unacceptable level of damage, they could have worked something out with the Green leadership to jointly dissolve the coalition, or they could have arranged a vote of the SNP membership too so both sides were voting on it.

Honestly the only thing I can imagine is that Yousaf was being threatened with resignations or challenges from within his own party and panicked because he's such a weak leader. It's just baffling. Surely they can't have been so delusional as to think that calling the two green co-leaders (who are still very popular with members as I understand it) to unceremoniously fire them on the morning of FMQs as if they're an afterthought wouldn't be seen as a treacherous insulting act. Surely they must have discussed what Alba would ask for. I'll admit I didn't expect Salmond to basically give them the political equivalent of a tradesman's "gently caress off" price, but you'd hope politicians would have their finger on the pulse better than some chump who gets most of their news via tweets in this thread. Apparently they didn't do either of those things, which just speaks to sheer incompetence on both his part and anyone in the party who is pulling his strings.

I imagine we'll soon see the news pivot onto whether the Greens will support a VONC in the whole government next, though. That's going to be dicey for them, my guess is that they'll support it if Yousaf's interim successor isn't one of the loonies who described the Greens as "extremist".

The phrase "key Alba targets" is so loving funny.

By my count they ran 110 council candidates in 2022 & managed 12,335 votes, or an average of 112 first choice votes per ward off a turnout nationally of 1.8 million, or about 0.7%. They didn't win a single seat. The Greens managed 110,000 votes.

The year before at the Holyrood election Alba managed slightly better, 45,000 votes on a 2.7m turnout or 1.6%, while the apparently fringe extremist Greens got over 220,000. Their best result in the Regional vote was 2.3% in North-East Scotland, where they ran Alex Salmond. Which was less than half the Lib Dems managed & they didn't even get a seat because the Greens beat them for 4th. Why the gently caress would the SNP stand aside for ex-Tory, Labour & SNP member Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh just because she worked on Alex Salmond's RT show until he was forced to shitcan it after the invasion of Ukraine? Or Neale Hanvey, a guy who claim the Scottish Government were trying to reduce the age of consent to 10 despite all evidence to the contrary?

Angepain posted:

my theory is this shows just how much Salmond is aware that Alba's hosed in actual elections, the electoral pact coming before anything else because it's the only hope he'll still have MSPs after uh, whenever the next vote is. not even trying to make inroads into government

Please, MSP singular.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Angepain posted:

If the SNP takes any more serious blows over the next two years I wouldn't be so quick to assume they'll remain irrelevant--it's not generally been the pattern of the last few years across Europe for parties billing themselves as anti-establishment with demagogic leaders to remain irrelevant forever. Right now they're a joke but there's likely some tipping point where long-time SNP voters will start considering other options the way Tory voters in England are now, and unlike Reform who are battling against first past the post, Alba could actually pick up list seats.

I hope I'm wrong! Honestly I think the transphobia thing is going to be the albatross around their necks because notionally their original selling point was "full focus on independence" and now it's "full focus on transphobia". If they'd had the good sense not to descend into alienating anyone with non-transphobic views, they could be doing well now presenting themselves as "SNP Classic, before Sturgeon and her husband corrupted it". They basically just latched onto the first controversial thing within the Indy movement and made it their brand, and now it's a bigger part of their identity than independence, they're the nationalists who hate trans people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

Do you have an example link for the kind of thing I should be looking for? Mostly just getting replacement filters for presumably other devices.

E: found some under "air purifer" will have a look, cheers.

I believe this is what I have.