Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

So I don't know much about historical calendar systems, but this guy is operating on the same level as his posts about how Egyptians might have just really liked pictures of falcons and eyes, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
calenders aren't real dude

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

calenders aren't real dude

these firemen say otherwise

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
lol whats with this ad

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Antivehicular posted:

So I don't know much about historical calendar systems, but this guy is operating on the same level as his posts about how Egyptians might have just really liked pictures of falcons and eyes, right?

hes not making it as explicit but basically yes. similar to how his posts about how translations of hieroglyphics might be completely made up and unverifiable, he is also asking about dates specifically in AD because any other date conversions are unreliable (because he thinks they are completely made up and unverifiable)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Leal posted:

lol whats with this ad

the forum longs for drama and needs it

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Like, it seems like his actual question is "what is the oldest surviving document with a date where we can reliably count back and say 'that was 687 years ago' or whatever to the individual year," which is a moderately interesting question, but he's asking it in the most confusing and obtuse way possible, even before you get into the fact that said document is likely to be dated in a non-AD/CE format that hasn't undergone any of the weird Western calendar developments

EDIT: hahaha yeah, of course he assumes every other culture on earth is just makin' poo poo up

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Antivehicular posted:

Like, it seems like his actual question is "what is the oldest surviving document with a date where we can reliably count back and say 'that was 687 years ago' or whatever to the individual year," which is a moderately interesting question, but he's asking it in the most confusing and obtuse way possible
Is this the thing where you ask a question in an extremely specific and convoluted way because you're fishing for an answer that makes you seem right

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
People are too afraid to make new threads in SAD. Bring back the aggro Small Questions chat thread, says I!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mycot posted:

Is this the thing where you ask a question in an extremely specific and convoluted way because you're fishing for an answer that makes you seem right

my impression is yes, and this guy is going to claim that historians have made the dates of everything before like the 1600s up

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mycot posted:

yep

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the truth is the world is only about 3000 years old and they've made up a lot of dates also the world is flat and hollow but none of you are ready for that conversation

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

mycot posted:

Yeah, he clearly seems to have decided it's this one Albrecht Durer woodcut from 1484 and refuses to believe it could be older than 1400

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there are a few centuries where record keeping is spotty because of a multitude of reasons

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the forum longs for drama and needs it

Meltdown May is coming up

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there are a few centuries where record keeping is spotty because of a multitude of reasons

Probably because they hadn't invented a real language yet.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
My least favorite version of that is when people start coming up with increasingly contrived hypotheticals to try to still win the argument in at least one of them. Like "I know society usually looks down on beating the poo poo out of children BUT what if the kid was Hitler."

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol painstakingly engraving the cool hieroglyphics on stuff for no reason its not a language

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

radium hosed up the database

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
egyptian history is cool but so much of it is wrapped up in crank racist paleontology because people cannot fathom that an ancient civilization knew about math and architecture so something must have taught them that

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mycot posted:

My least favorite version of that is when people start coming up with increasingly contrived hypotheticals to try to still win the argument in at least one of them. Like "I know society usually looks down on beating the poo poo out of children BUT what if the kid was Hitler."

That and like 95% of the hypotheticals are just people convinced that all non white civilizations can't have produced anything of value, or had aliens help them, or were secretly guided by white prophets.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
that time an expedition vanished in the artic and the inuits knew where they were the entire time but the explorers were so racist and stupid they refused to believe them and they werent found until 2014

16-bit Butt-Head has a new favorite as of 07:21 on Apr 28, 2024

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i would not beat up kid hitler but i would definitely troll him and call him a noob

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

that time an expedition vanished in the artic and the inuits knew where they were the entire time but the explorers were so racist and stupid they refused to believe them and they werent found until 2014

The Franklin Expedition. Actually they were known to be dead in the 1850s but they found the actual ships in 2016 or thereabouts.

The racist bit was accusing a bunch of polar subsistence hunters of not saving the lost expedition, or that they were lying about :britain: True Englishe Gentlemen :britain: turning to cannibalism to survive.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Franklin Expedition. Actually they were known to be dead in the 1850s but they found the actual ships in 2016 or thereabouts.

The racist bit was accusing a bunch of polar subsistence hunters of not saving the lost expedition, or that they were lying about :britain: True Englishe Gentlemen :britain: turning to cannibalism to survive.

Ah. I got curious and, well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rae%E2%80%93Richardson_Arctic_expedition#Legacy

It was Charles Dickens who got racist about the cannibalism accusations, on behalf of Franklin's widow. John Rae, who actually worked with the Inuit and realized their testimony was reliable, was shunned by the British establishment over it.

At least he was ultimately vindicated but it's still pretty galling.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Leal posted:

lol whats with this ad

There's a bunch for different forums. Including, CSPAM, D&D, Imp Zone, FYAD and the user options page.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my impression is yes, and this guy is going to claim that historians have made the dates of everything before like the 1600s up

hmmm and he posts in yospos, you say?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

egyptian history is cool but so much of it is wrapped up in crank racist paleontology because people cannot fathom that an ancient civilization knew about math and architecture so something must have taught them that

i recommended this in another saga thread or maybe even this one, but read marc van de mieroop's a history of ancient egypt, it's great, easily accessible to the layperson, and he's one of the leading lights of the field.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Have you ever seen anyone from before like 1900 in your entire life? They don’t exist dude.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
people before the advent of color tv dreamt in black and white, this much is true! but did u kno that the Lost Ancient Sunken Hyperborean Atlantisians dreamt in more colors than we presently do now??????????

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

welcome to the trepanation station, my name is indigo aquarius. can we poz your 3rd eye neg hole today?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ammat The Ankh posted:

There's a bunch for different forums. Including, CSPAM, D&D, Imp Zone, FYAD and the user options page.

With absolutely no evidence whatsoever I'm blaming Seth for this.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

NoiseAnnoys posted:

welcome to the trepanation station, my name is indigo aquarius. can we poz your 3rd eye neg hole today?

no thank you

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NoiseAnnoys posted:

my name is indigo aquarius, you pozzed my neg hole, prepare to die

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Runa posted:

my name is indigo aquarius, you pozzed my neg hole, prepare to die

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

similar to how his posts about how translations of hieroglyphics might be completely made up and unverifiable,

It's a type of skepticism that would have served him well a couple centuries ago

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The awful app should display the ads.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ammat The Ankh posted:

that's real sad

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Stux posted:

was clips of this

ty lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Scarodactyl posted: