Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

flubber nuts posted:

If you like 5 Giant Duck, Monkey, Piglet, chicken, bear, lion, cow, Sheep, Transfiguration funny animal 2023 then you should also check out 5 Giant Duck, Monkey, Piglet, chicken, bear, lion, cow, Sheep, Transfiguration funny animal 2018 and 5 Giant Duck, Monkey, Piglet, chicken, bear, lion, cow, Sheep, Transfiguration funny animal 2005.

5 Giant Duck, Monkey, Piglet, chicken, bear, lion, cow, Sheep, Transfiguration funny animal 2010 loving sucked though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

LividLiquid posted:

People say this about every generation's awful pointless dreck and a lot of us grew up on literal toy commercials.

Though there will definitely be video essays (or the 2050s equivalent) on these by the people who grew up watching them in 25 years and I can't wait to hear what they have to say about it.
at this age I was watching david the gnome, maya the bee, and mickey mouse cartoons

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The Internet sucks rear end

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6xsF3-aB8c&t

yeah. the newer tactic is apperently go for indie creators since they have way way less means of shutting them down. the big ones right now are amazing digital circus(a solid pilot for a animated series) and various horror games like poppys play time/fnaf/etc. apperently a bunch tried with hazbin but the kids didnt care for it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Me watching a bunch of content slurry reaction videos to childrens' content slurry cartoons: wow the kids are so hosed up imagine what this garbage does to your brain

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 10, 2024

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Is there a genre of lovely explainer/rant videos where cartoons yell about the thirtysomethings yelling about the cartoons I thirst for another segment on the youtube human centipede

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I will never forget the time I saw the video of Among Us, Baldi’s Basics and that newgrounds game made by a pedopologist competing in squid games.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Is there a genre of lovely explainer/rant videos where cartoons yell about the thirtysomethings yelling about the cartoons I thirst for another segment on the youtube human centipede

Oh dear loving god is there ever. You’re looking for the slideshow commentary community. Last I checked their magnum opus was an over edited mockup of a danganronpa case done to exonerate a discord groomer. Stay far away.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Buce posted:

what kind of weird pervert uses youtube for anything other than watching cute women dance around and be hot? smdh

”my search history” posted:

Sydney Sweeney
Sydney Sweeney hot
Sydney Sweeney boobs
Sydney Sweeney big boobs paw patrol 10 hours
Sydney Sweeney age
Sydney Sweeney married

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

While I agree with you about that being a problem, Dan Olson spends his time exposing internet scam artists. flat earthers, Youtube financial scams, NFTs, the Metaverse, etc.

His channel is borderline important.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Smugworth posted:

The Internet sucks rear end

sucking rear end is good though. not sure what youre trying to say here.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
The ones that really creeped me out were the live action ones that were like "Elsa hairy legs spiderman funny disney" where the actors would move really exaggerated and it would play wacky sound effects

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

LividLiquid posted:

While I agree with you about that being a problem, Dan Olson spends his time exposing internet scam artists. flat earthers, Youtube financial scams, NFTs, the Metaverse, etc.

His channel is borderline important.

As if those things weren't widely seen as stupid to begin with? Most people could figure out that the Metaverse was dumb based on Meta's own presentation and the mostly-negative social media reactions. The people willing to click and watch a 2-hour video essay on why NFTs are a bad bet already agree with the main thesis.

Even I gave a college presentation in like 2011 about how bitcoin was a bubble to lose your money in, even citing that time the SA forums caused the then-tiny market to crash using phony charts

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Duck_King posted:

The ones that really creeped me out were the live action ones that were like "Elsa hairy legs spiderman funny disney" where the actors would move really exaggerated and it would play wacky sound effects

And also the sense that they were produced in developing countries, where I imagine the return on investment is a lot higher. It's weird to think there are people in southeast asia or soviet bloc countries trying to crack the algorithm on which Marvel IPs are hitting this month.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

buglord posted:

So this industry clearly does work because there's no shortage of amongus mqueen chasing color-changing tangled characters for an hour on YouTube. For those somehow in the know, i think this linked video that was uploaded this morning (with 60 AI generated comments, no less!) will illustrate what im talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLNudpUImw

But as ridiculous as these are, I find them kind of fascinating since these are on every kid's iPad. Are each of these channels from competing creators? Is it all just a few people with multiple accounts dominating the scene? Is it a profitable gig in high income countries? do any of these uploaders have to worry about using trademarked disney characters? do kids actually like them or is this a last resort while mobile and they prefer watching bluey at home?

people upload the vids and google pays them money depending on how many people view them, hth

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

je1 healthcare posted:

As if those things weren't widely seen as stupid to begin with? Most people could figure out that the Metaverse was dumb based on Meta's own presentation and the mostly-negative social media reactions. The people willing to click and watch a 2-hour video essay on why NFTs are a bad bet already agree with the main thesis.

Even I gave a college presentation in like 2011 about how bitcoin was a bubble to lose your money in, even citing that time the SA forums caused the then-tiny market to crash using phony charts
I can't follow your logic here.

Stupid things believed by millions of people shouldn't be debunked because you personally already knew they were stupid?

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

je1 healthcare posted:

And also the sense that they were produced in developing countries, where I imagine the return on investment is a lot higher. It's weird to think there are people in southeast asia or soviet bloc countries trying to crack the algorithm on which Marvel IPs are hitting this month.

That's exactly what I thought too. What bothers me the most is not that people create this garbage, but rather parents just shrug and mindlessly let the phone or tablet cycle through whatever the hell it does as long as the kid doesn't experience boredom between cradle and grave, and even if they don't soak their brains in it all day it can still really mess with them. My ex's kid is on the spectrum, and he wasn't allowed to watch most kid youtube (kid being 9/Minecraft obsessed age) because of how much it influenced his everyday behavior, even after a single day or so. We found out he was sneaking his Chromebook when everyone went to bed, and before we realized what he was doing, we noticed he started asking us really bizarre questions and just acting out more in general, saying things like "I can't go in the kitchen, look you can see the ghost!" and would point at a cabinet, and not paying attention to things he normally enjoyed. Between the ghost thing and him failing his belt test in martial arts, we figured out what he was doing, and despite all of her efforts, he'd still steal the Chromebook at stay up all night watching "epic prank 5 nights at freddys fortnite minecraft mario top 500 your mom jokes" videos, and I mean he'd dig through her entire room to find out, taking it out of locked places. Finally she just got rid of the drat thing permanently, which caused the mother of all meltdowns.

Its so disheartening that this crap exists, and I'm sure other olds opined about this when TV was still new, but at least that could be turned off and wasn't always broadcasting nonsense no matter where you were or when.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LividLiquid posted:

I can't follow your logic here.

Stupid things believed by millions of people shouldn't be debunked because you personally already knew they were stupid?

Not shouldn't be, but it is pretty much preaching to the converted. I don't think anyone who was a NFT believer watched Line Goes Up and had the scales fall from their eyes. Most of the millions of people who believe in these stupid things because they're stupid. Debunking doesn't work when someone is too dumb to know what is bunkum.

Foldable Ideas is SA's weekend web, but better researched and aimed at more deserving targets. The vids are great but I don't know if they're really important.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Klyith posted:

Not shouldn't be, but it is pretty much preaching to the converted. I don't think anyone who was a NFT believer watched Line Goes Up and had the scales fall from their eyes. Most of the millions of people who believe in these stupid things because they're stupid. Debunking doesn't work when someone is too dumb to know what is bunkum.

Foldable Ideas is SA's weekend web, but better researched and aimed at more deserving targets. The vids are great but I don't know if they're really important.

They're entertaining and informative, and it feels pretty good to have your initial judgement of those things pan out. But for the people who subscribe to those concepts, it's not a matter of logic but a matter of ego. They've invested a part of their identity into being a believer and they'll insist they made the right call even after they've gone broke.

That, and they're the least likely demographic to even click on his videos for the same reason none of us will ever watch a 3-hour video pitch for a new crypto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Klyith posted:

Not shouldn't be, but it is pretty much preaching to the converted.
People say this about every opinion on the internet, no matter the opinion or medium. It's never been right not because it isn't true, but because it misses the point of the matter entirely.

Even on an individual level, when you argue with somebody on the internet, you're not doing it to change their mind. You're doing it so their bullshit doesn't get accepted as fact merely because it has gone unchallenged. You're not trying to reach that person who's already gone. You're trying to reach everybody who hasn't made up their mind yet.

And on preaching to the choir, further informing me why something I already think is bullshit is, in fact, bullshit, is a good thing. I like learning things. I'unno.