Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I have read entire novels while at the bar. When you are doing a 12 hour shift on a slow tuesday with no deliveries and only 8 customers during the day it's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

I've lost a couple of paperbacks at bars on some of my bad nights

TrashMammal posted:

mere practice. find the right bar and you can gently caress a bear for real

can't spell bara without bar after all

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I used to hang out with a dude at a bar who would come in 2 hours before last call and grade his diff eq tests

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

i can't blame someone for drinking while grading anything, much less differential equations

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I read Atlas Shrugged to strike up conversations with other like-minded individuals

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

dervival posted:

i can't blame someone for drinking while grading anything, much less differential equations

he had a system and that system looked loving miserable lmao

we'd drink beers and talk about poo poo from my degree (history) instead

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I genuinely read through the band NOFX's book "The Hepatitis Bathtub and Other Stories" during visits to a nearby bar. I wanted to get out and would use that book as an excuse to go for a walk across town and sit at that bar's outdoor patio area to read. I often didn't even get anything alcoholic... like a kombucha or a soda but I was surrounded by a bunch of people in the sun with a light breeze and could relax and read for a while.

Though, I did often need to stop reading that book for a day or so because the subject matter gets heavy. Murder, suicide, rape, kidnapping, drug abuse, fights, disease... you get to read about one of them killing his own mom at her request when she had a terminal illness. It's a bit nuts, that book.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
A lot of "British style" pubs around here have books on the shelves along with a bunch of other poo poo to make them seem classy. I've read the first few chapters of "The western limit of the world" and "The hotel New Hampshire" but never got around to finishing either of them.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Smugworth posted:

I read Atlas Shrugged to strike up conversations with other like-minded individuals

That must have been a very disappointing gloryhole

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I read The Wheel of Time book 8 at the Fiesta Bowl surrounded by drunk Notre Dame fans, that's the closest I can give you.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

nothing finer than having a pint at the pub while you read Joyce and have a polite stroke.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

nothing finer than having a pint at the pub while you read Joyce and have a polite stroke.

So civilized

*packs tobacco pipe

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I've done crossword puzzles while sitting at a bar.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Printed out and laminated the Wikipedia article for glory holes and casually showing it off to everyone, shaking my head laughing like "man, wouldn't it be crazy if someone actually did this, haha wow"

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, for sure. If I'm on a work trip and don't feel like socializing, I'll sit at the bar area of a restaurant to eat and have a drink and read a book.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I like to read the rise and fall of the third Reich at the bar. You get to meet interesting people and if it turns out they are into Nazis, it is about as big as a telephone book so you can beat them with it.

baja gaijin
Jan 30, 2024

I've read books and newspapers (though those on my phone) at bars multiple times. nobody really gives a gently caress if you do

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Man, one thing I don't miss about the more literate past is newspapers. So big, so loud, so messy. On the subway they're probably 80% of the trash.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I liked reading news papers when lived with my parents growing up but I'm not going to pay to receive it these days especially when I half of it or more is stuff I would just toss in the trash because I have no interest... Sports, personals, opinion pieces by garbage humans, national/world news takes from the local bumpkin.

I just read it for the local news.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wendigee posted:

I liked reading news papers when lived with my parents growing up but I'm not going to pay to receive it these days especially when I half of it or more is stuff I would just toss in the trash.

I LOVE my local paper, but as a website. I pay for it. And I loved them as a newspaper back in the day, but in retrospect it was so loud. And messy.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I read the local paper with an online subscription but it's such a lovely layout I have to be pretty bored.. whichever section you choose intersperses "articles from our network" aka Republican talking pieces that are unrelated to the local news paid for by the Koch's.

And you have to pay for it. I mooch my mom's password or I would never read it and just stick to apnews or something similar.

Smaller city problems probably. 350k of us.. maybe 500k in the greater sprawl. One news paper that doesn't even have most of its contributors in the city. They poo poo canned many of them and run articles about my city from "reporters" that don't even live here.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 10, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

People are used to paying for the news. There used to be these "news boxes" where you'd put in "Hard Currency" and it would open. You'd take out that day's "Newspaper". Which was created anew each day. And in the old days, several times a day.

baja gaijin
Jan 30, 2024

redshirt posted:

Man, one thing I don't miss about the more literate past is newspapers. So big, so loud, so messy. On the subway they're probably 80% of the trash.

I had to start getting a paper delivery subscription because Amazon discontinued their newspaper subscription service on kindle. It was honestly the best way to read the paper but Amazon has been dead set on ruining all their services

baja gaijin
Jan 30, 2024

I also used to subscribe to our local paper but after exchanging private equity hands a couple of times it's almost entirely reprints from NYT and AP so like why bother

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

baja gaijin posted:

I also used to subscribe to our local paper but after exchanging private equity hands a couple of times it's almost entirely reprints from NYT and AP so like why bother

I hear ya. It's happened all over. I'm lucky enough that our main paper is still independent.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Wendigee posted:

I like to read the rise and fall of the third Reich at the bar. You get to meet interesting people and if it turns out they are into Nazis, it is about as big as a telephone book so you can beat them with it.

Then a discussion of Shirer’s homophobia turns into some serious men’s room gloryholin’.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I got no idea what that means, but I am reading that book. It's pretty good and shows how crazy, lucky and incompetent Hitler was. The giant swastika on the cover is a great reason to never take it out in public.. I was totally joking except for its ability to easily beat someone with do to it's size

I've never read a book at a bar I don't go to them alone so I'm usually taking to friends.

I could see getting bored and wanting to read a book in public but id probably go to a book store or coffee shop or something. I don't think anyone at the bar would care, I just don't see the point of overpaying for drinks unless you're there to talk to people honestly.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 10, 2024

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Sometimes if I have nothing else happening on a Friday night I'll get some takeout and go to the bar with a book and read over dinner and a couple drinks. It's a nice little time. So yeah op I'm the guy that reads Hermann Hesse's The Glass Bead Game at the bar

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I live near Princeton and it’s really common there, but I’ve also drank at some hillbilly rear end places with taxidermy everywhere and people would probably get hostile if you read there. Depends on the place.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have read at a bar, during the day when it is essentially empty

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the reason is simple: alcoholism

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bad Purchase posted:

honestly who would read a book when they could play an immersive narrative experience that adapts to their choices like baldur's gate 3 at the bar?

We used to play D&D at the bar, it's central, more fun than staying after work and doesn't invade anyone's house.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wendigee posted:

I got no idea what that means, but I am reading that book. It's pretty good and shows how crazy, lucky and incompetent Hitler was. The giant swastika on the cover is a great reason to never take it out in public.. I was totally joking except for its ability to easily beat someone with do to it's size

I think it'd be pretty hard to read with one hand, as well.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I don't quite hate humanity enough to just sit there reading The Iron Dream or The Consumer* with earplugs for several hours but I'm getting there.

*M.Gira

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've never thought about it before but I guess as long as it's a "have a drink, maybe order some fries" sort of place it's no weirder to me than someone at a coffee shop. If it's like a club or party style bar then I would probably see it as a red flag.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just when I have time to kill by myself. Train station or airport bars mostly, sometimes a hotel bar on a work trip.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

baja gaijin posted:

I've read books and newspapers (though those on my phone) at bars multiple times. nobody really gives a gently caress if you do

they all make fun of you as soon as you leave. they know youre reading instead of Facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
Yeah, but only at bars that are specifically for reading or are known for quiet chatter.