Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Recipe sites absolutely suck butt on mobile, they're never optimized whatsoever not even the most popular ones. I also don't enjoy scrolling for 10 minutes past 100 ad videos just to see the ingredient list.

Monetizing web services inherently makes them suck rear end. We need a public utility version of all the most common ones. A place to yell at the news, a place to share art and media, a place for recipes, a place for extremely specific questions, a place for the herds of singles in your area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I feel so good with my tablet PC: all of the adblock tools and none of the awful mobile apps.
If only it was more compact I'd give up my smartphone altogether.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

By popular demand posted:

I feel so good with my tablet PC: all of the adblock tools and none of the awful mobile apps.

This wouldn't be a problem if u were bigger than the coconut shrimp you're trying to find a recipe for

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I've gone and downloaded android developer tools in order to delete the preloaded browser apps and browser on my phone that the OS itself doesn't let you touch.

Not saying that to brag, just mentioning how far one has to go to keep unwanted bloatware from their personal device that they own.

hey i'm looking to get a new android phone soonish, is there a thread where people talk about how to remove bloatware?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Setup a PiHole
Get Tailscale
Add your home network and cell phones to Tailscale network.
Set network DNS to use PiHole

No more mobile ads.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Bonzo posted:

Setup a PiHole
Get Tailscale
Add your home network and cell phones to Tailscale network.
Set network DNS to use PiHole

No more mobile ads.

Super simple to set it up too. Think its just one script and it executes the steps.

Power surge screwed my SD card or I'd be using mine still. Worked great with Ublock Origin

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Glad I can read literally one 1/4 of a single sentence on my $1200 phone

It's not much better on the desktop but at least it's easier to have ublock or something else close all this bullshit automatically

Yeah I take my 10" 2-in-1 laptop with me as much as possible for this reason. Way more pleasant to type too.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If I'm going to another city to stay the night, I take a laptop with me. So much easier to search restaurants and other poo poo around me before we go out.

Google Maps is completely unusable due to the Ads that look like real results. If I'm walking in a city's downtown and I search "Burger", it's going to tell me there's a McDonald's 14 km away, or a Harvey's 8.5 hours from me before it shows a real location that is 1 block away. I half expect Google to introduce a feature that purposely takes you past stores or restaurants that are having sales and offering you discounts if you'd like to detour and hit the drive-thru.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Worf posted:

*opens recipe for chopped onions at cookingmilf.ru*

*full page pop up asking if I’ll allow cookies*

Accept

*scroll down*

*top and bottom banner combine with the full page banner so I see 0% of the site*

*scroll down*

Get an onion

*scroll down*

*embedded video of woman amazed at radishes plays*

Site tells me in slightly different terms to get 1 onion

*are u sure u don’t want to join our mailing list*

*scroll down*

*5 paragraphs on the history of how this woman discovered onions*

Prep time 5 minutes
Cook time 15 minutes
Onion

*scroll down*

Instant pot advertisement

*scroll down*

*it’s another embedded video where she’s ecstatic about almonds*

Cut the onion

*full screen ad asking for email again*

Comment from heather2001qt: I substituted a banana for the onion because I found it too spicy great recipe otherwise 5/5

Comment from CaptainCook: thank you for this, I’ve been searching for ages for something like this 3/5

Comment from MyCatsLoveMe: does this also work with large onioms?

Link? I'm thinking of trying to make this tonight

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i like to print out my ISP bill on my inkjet printer, drive the still damp bill to my bank, and then stand in line and get the teller to pay it while i complain about having to wait in line to pay my bill

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

cookingmilf.ru would be a pretty good username

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I've gone and downloaded android developer tools in order to delete the preloaded browser apps and browser on my phone that the OS itself doesn't let you touch.

Not saying that to brag, just mentioning how far one has to go to keep unwanted bloatware from their personal device that they own.

That's part of the reason I have gone to buying unlocked phones in the first place, and landed on Pixels as my preferred brand. I know Google is still harvesting some information from me, but no carrier bloat, and no weird duplicative redundant crap like on my work Samsung.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

anyway if what you want from your device is a recipe you can get a cheap Bluetooth printer and print the drat thing.

I.E. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005217328442.html

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

i like to print out my ISP bill on my inkjet printer, drive the still damp bill to my bank, and then stand in line and get the teller to pay it while i complain about having to wait in line to pay my bill

Who the hell prints out their bill???

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

anyway if what you want from your device is a recipe you can get a cheap Bluetooth printer and print the drat thing.

I.E. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005217328442.html

thanks but I really was just genuinely curious if phones were always this poo poo. I aggressively avoid using my phone for anything most of the time, looks like I was on the right track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
In the beginning the websites were simpler and smaller, but the phones were slow and poo poo and so everything took a long time to load. Now the phones are good and fast but the websites have been bloated to be slow and poo poo as they harvest as much data/attention as possible, so the overall experience has maintained a level of "minimum viable usability".

As we move ever more people away from productive labour it will only get worse.