Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Dynastocles posted:

There's a difference between "I just want to get away with my fuckup" and "I don't believe that I am subject to the laws of the United States because I Am The Living Man, John, of the name S-m-i-t-h." Also cops generally aren't into sovcit poo poo because sovcits harass, gently caress with, and kill cops.

Not a bootlicker, I just think you're stretching things a bit.

"If cops can get away with a fuckup, why can't I?" is a question that preceeds the rabbit hole of sovereign citizen bullshit, I'm sure. It's not the cops emulating the sovcits, it's the other way around. Because cops absolutely do the poo poo you say the sovcits do, to normal people, and get away with it.

Also, something about "higher level reasoning", "empathy", and other "do unto others" Golden Rule crap that educationally immature people have no ability to wrap their heads around, but that causes both sovcits and bad cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

teen witch posted:

Things like that I think are a wise limit, but I’d never do them (brown)

This is such a perfect and concise example of privilege.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I think it'd be funny thay instead of shouting weird phrases you just get close to the cop and his body camera and just loudly scream " ah he's jacking.me off oh God imma cum, this cop is jacking me.off"

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Hollismason posted:

I think it'd be funny thay instead of shouting weird phrases you just get close to the cop and his body camera and just loudly scream " ah he's jacking.me off oh God imma cum, this cop is jacking me.off"

essential that you ejaculate to sell the bit

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Poohs Packin posted:

This is such a perfect and concise example of privilege.

How, exactly? I’m a black man.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Mistle posted:

The coolest "one cool trick" I know of wasn't sovcit, but some lady who turned police destruction qualified immunity into eminent domain seizure and prevented QI from even being addressed in order to get her suit against the PD to stick.

What? I do 1983 law and I can't parse this sentence.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
these are some weird cop fantasies

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Tokelau All Star posted:

What? I do 1983 law and I can't parse this sentence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSXAggq5ozo

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Thin Blew Line

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

pencilhands posted:

How, exactly? I’m a black man.

Sorry, concise example of white privilege specifically.

That the majority of these SovCits are typically white dudes with a few exceptions. They generally feel more comfortable throwing word salad at a cop and not complying because historically they havent been targeted due to the color of their skin by law enforcement.

Its almost like they have the privilege of feeling safe and unjudged based on their appearance.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Nice piece of fish posted:

As a practicing lawyer I find sovcits equal parts sad, frustrating and hilarious.

One of the saddest parts is kind of that their existence is in and of itself an indictment of the justice system.

One of the central principles of law is notoriety: as a citizen of a country your are expected to be aware of current laws and regulations. The purpose of this is obvious, if you get caught doing something illegal the first thing the system confronts you with is "you are supposed to know this is illegal, or at least you should know". The next thing the system does is say "well if you honestly didn't know you really should have, and so this can't be used as an excuse".

Okay, fine, that's something you need to have a functional system, because if not everyone can just play dumb and avoid all consequences. However, the systematic assumption of universal responsibility is supposed to be paired with clear, concise law with adequate notoriety or in other words the rules should be so simple, clear and precise that the average joe should have no trouble getting to know all these rules or finding and reading them as needed. Perhaps the most important rules (constitution, criminal procedure and law) should be part of a national school curriculum to ensure everyone has a basic understanding of their rights and obligations?

I'll disagree with this. I've never seen a sovcit that operates in ignorance of the law, rather it's a response to a law they are aware of and don't want to/can't follow. Nobody rolling with "Jesus is my Licensing Authority" plates is unaware of the requirement to have plates.

Additionally, the more esoteric sovcit claims are a direct response to being explicitly informed of the law. I'm thinking here of cases like the Oregon(?) dude who was simply collecting God's rainwater that fell on his property (read: building a shitton of shoddy retention ponds to spite his neighbor). The ideological justification came after a code official told him to knock it off and he didn't want to.

The indictment, I'd say lies in building a society wherein basic functioning often requires operation of an inherently dangerous device that necessitates regulation. People seek magic spells that allow them to drive because they need to drive to go to work.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just keep saying "sir" till they are overwhelmed by my fealty.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

It got reversed on appeal

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCOURTS-ca5-22-40644/pdf/USCOURTS-ca5-22-40644-0.pdf

I didn't watch the video but all they did to "sidestep" qualified immunity was they sued the city rather than the individual cops. QI only applies to government employees, not municipalities. It was still a good call by the plaintiffs attorney (the woman deserves compensation) but not some outside the box crazy move.

Honestly this sounds like it should be a state court negligence case unless the cops there have some ridiculous statutory immunity. A state jury could totally buy that the cops' actions were grossly negligent, especially if this has been happening a lot in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

This natural living man is by all means my favorite, gotta seek through the second one for him.

https://youtu.be/dNUXicpSPZQ?si=sx8QR7Tm5HUDsa9s

https://youtu.be/EZxMzcFJ-Lc?si=ngB6IxXc03Slq_db