Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Lately I've been going down a YouTube rabbit hole watching sovereign citizens getting owned by law enforcement and it occurred to me that I have absolutely no idea where this social phenomenon began. Of course, there's no shortage of absolute morons out there willing to believe anything, especially if it works in their favor, but this whole sovereign citizen nonsense seems to be especially stubborn. How do these people get the idea that they are literally immune from laws and regulations?

Anyway, here's a dumb guy getting clowned by the calmest guy ever (skip to about 12:21): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82JqvIozLk4&t=616s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

"Let the record show that you just touched me"

*bailiff raises taser*

"And, that you're usi-AGUHHHH"

(Screaming)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I could have sworn we had a whole huge thread about it somewhere but can't immediately find it. Maybe I was remembering a subset of "libertarians, lol" threads.

Anyway there are three major sovcit demographics:

1) people who have legit been screwed by the justice system either personally or as a group, so if weird word sorcery works against them, maybe it can work for them. There are a surprising number of black sovcits.
2) People who have been schnookered and/or brainmelted by various online conspiracy theories. It's tempting to believe a pitch that you are at minimum immune to legal consequences, if not entitled to a huge cash payout for weird magic reasons.
3) Divorced men.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

1) people who have legit been screwed by the justice system either personally or as a group, so if weird word sorcery works against them, maybe it can work for them. There are a surprising number of black sovcits.

Not for nothing but the majority of the black sovcit types I've encountered have done time. The books that are available and pushed onto incarcerated black men in the penal system are basically cult literature. It's kinda sad that its mostly guys doing longer stints who think "oh hey I can read and improve myself" and they end up with a head full of NOI and Sovcit nonsense.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's hard to get a really clear picture of how it all started but it looks like it spread from white supremacist militia types to black nationalists in prison. I have no idea how, I can't think of two groups of people less likely to hang out and share ideas.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Aren't a large portion of sovereign citizens just people who lost their drivers licenses for DUIs or whatnot so they put a piece of a cardboard on the back of their cars with "SOVEREIGN CITIZEN. TRAVELING ONLY" written with a sharpie?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's hard to get a really clear picture of how it all started but it looks like it spread from white supremacist militia types to black nationalists in prison. I have no idea how, I can't think of two groups of people less likely to hang out and share ideas.

White supremacists and black nationalists have a lot more in common than you think. Both groups have goals of racial separatism, and it's not at all uncommon for them to support one another. The Nation of Islam actively supports and funds various neo-nazi groups and the KKK, for example.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

They largely grew out of the tax protest movement and conservative groups like the Posse Comitatus and John Birch Society:

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/ideology/sovereign-citizens-movement

https://extremismterms.adl.org/resources/backgrounder/sovereign-citizen-movement-united-states

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The modern sovcit "movement" (more like a bunch of randoms who find the same material through various means and times) is based around finding the magic words that let you do anything you want and no one can argue.

It sounds ridiculous, but then realising that there's a *lot* of the same thing repackaged as a different thing. Pick up artists? Say the "right phrases" and no one can say no. Then you have "The Secret" and similar stuff which doesn't involve phrases to people, but a nebulous universe. Hypnotists, same deal.

But it's even simpler, because the core is really "get something for nothing", or put another way, it's all a "get rich quick" scheme.

But this time it'll work for sure!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I do not consent to create enjoinder with this post!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Don't probe, Lurking only.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
is that a gold fringe on that flag? your court does not apply to me

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

The modern sovcit "movement" (more like a bunch of randoms who find the same material through various means and times) is based around finding the magic words that let you do anything you want and no one can argue.

It sounds ridiculous, but then realising that there's a *lot* of the same thing repackaged as a different thing. Pick up artists? Say the "right phrases" and no one can say no. Then you have "The Secret" and similar stuff which doesn't involve phrases to people, but a nebulous universe. Hypnotists, same deal.

But it's even simpler, because the core is really "get something for nothing", or put another way, it's all a "get rich quick" scheme.

But this time it'll work for sure!

I don't agree with this, but I can see how you could see the legal system as some sort of "magic words" and they grant you power. Consider the legal disclaimer on a McDonald's coffee cup that THIS COFFEE IS HOT AND BY READING THIS THE DRINKEE....etc. Used to ward off lawsuits, a magic phrase that creates a magic legal bubble of immunity.

Now, extrapolate that to everything.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

ded posted:

is that a gold fringe on that flag? your court does not apply to me

This is an admiralty.court, and we will hang you from the goddamned yardarm.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I. M. Gei posted:

The Nation of Islam actively supports and funds various neo-nazi groups and the KKK, for example.

What? Really?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Post more SOVCIT VIDS

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/zxcv9j/constitutional_audit_at_a_legal_agricultural/

Sorry for reddit link but all the YT links have commentary from guys wearing weird american flag hats.

Guy decides he's just not going to comply with an agricultural checkpoint designed to protect Americas most important production land from invasive species. Ends up getting arrested with his two kids in the car.

He's also flat wrong and the very lovely inspection officer explains to him that these searches are constitutional under an amendment. The guy just clearly doesn't know what hes talking about and just starts repeating the same poo poo insisting that he's going to drive through. It's a classic.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Animal-Mother posted:

What? Really?

Flat earthers, KKK, and NOI all share a hatred of this one particular group.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What a lot of sovcits don't seem to understand is straight up reality. In like a basic common sense. Ok ok ok there's this law and that law and blah blah blah but...

A cop can pull you over with no reason, beat you unconscious, and just take off and for you there might be no recourse.

The magic words you memorized do not apply to the physical world.

You can't "outsmart" a cop. They can just shoot you and get desk duty for a week. I can't think of a worse individual to try to test my human rights with.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

Goatse James Bond posted:

I could have sworn we had a whole huge thread about it somewhere but can't immediately find it. Maybe I was remembering a subset of "libertarians, lol" threads.

This thread sounds interesting, where can I find it good sir?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The best is seeing Canadian or Australian SovCits referencing the 1st Amendment or poo poo like that when it has no bearing on the laws of their own country.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

I. M. Gei posted:

The Nation of Islam actively supports and funds various neo-nazi groups and the KKK, for example.

Is this a one-way donation system for the NOI?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV7JYnHMydE - This guy "Fedsmoker" got famous from Your Mom's House with Tom Segura

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7p_l_JX40Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8GtDhhLQQI

He's not exactly a SovCit but just likes talking crazy trash to police and being a general psycho. He's had like 4000 youtube channels over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgasnv8P40U

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

god please help me posted:

Is this a one-way donation system for the NOI?

No, it goes both ways. The neo-nazi groups give money to the NOI too.

Animal-Mother posted:

What? Really?

I couldn't find the bit I'd read about it on Wikipedia awhile ago, but they've had past ties at the very least. As far as I know they still support each other. Louis Farrakhan donates a lot of money to white nationalist groups.

quote:

Like Garvey's UNIA before them, the Nation has also built links with white nationalist and other far-right white groups on the basis of their shared belief in racial separatism.[394] Malcolm X revealed that the Nation had held meetings with representatives of the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) and the American Nazi Party (ANP).[395] The ANP's leader George Lincoln Rockwell attended an NOI rally in Washington DC in 1961 and then spoke at the Nation's St Saviour's Day rally in Chicago in 1962.[396] Links with the white far-right continued under Farrakhan's Nation, with Tom Metzger of the White Aryan Resistance donating money to the Nation in 1985 and expressing approval of its separatist aims.[397] During the 1980s, the Nation also had a supportive relationship with the British National Front as the latter's Strasserite leadership were endorsing a united front against multi-racial society.[398] During the 1990s, the Nation collaborated with members of the far-right LaRouche movement as part of their shared opposition to the U.S.-led Gulf War.[399] These links have not prevented some white far-right opposition to the NOI; in 1993 the Fourth Reich Skinheads were revealed to have plotted to kill Farrakhan.[400]

They're also in deep with scientology.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 25, 2024

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Goatse James Bond posted:

2) People who have been schnookered and/or brainmelted by various online conspiracy theories. It's tempting to believe a pitch that you are at minimum immune to legal consequences, if not entitled to a huge cash payout for weird magic reasons.
I knew one of these guys and I don't know if the sovereign citizen poo poo came first or the conspiracy theories. He was a real dumbass though. 40 years old and talked about how he never read more than 5-6 books in his life.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ron Paul delegate housemate was excited to learn orange juice cures cancer which I let slide as he didn’t have cancer, but when he wanted to try out the new cool trend of being immune from traffic laws if you claim to be a traveller on the land I recommended not testing that.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Clicking on that first link corrupted my algorithm and I was immediately rewarded with this thumbnail

Fuckin love me a tricorn

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

syntaxfunction posted:

There's a frightening amount of overlap in sales fields, too. A lot of sales training programs are basically designed to turn you into a pick-up artist. It's gross as gently caress.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's not quite the same thing, but there's a specific subset of Black Nationalist, maybe some kind of 'hotep' also (is it OK to use that term?) who thinks laws like taxes don't apply to them because of some protected Moorish ancestry or something, equivalent to having a Native Status card but worldwide. At a bar I used to work, this guy raised a big stink and demanded we take taxes off of his bill and when we wouldn't, he sent us a strongly-worded letter citing some UN resolutions or something. We laughed and threw it in the trash. Anyone know more about this?

Anyway SovCit interactions always have me feeling conflicted. Because gently caress the police forever, but these dudes are just so impossibly irritating that I want to give the cops a pass for loving up their day.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mister Speaker posted:

Anyway SovCit interactions always have me feeling conflicted. Because gently caress the police forever, but these dudes are just so impossibly irritating that I want to give the cops a pass for loving up their day.

Agreed. And it's the patient cops that are the funniest.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

It's not quite the same thing, but there's a specific subset of Black Nationalist, maybe some kind of 'hotep' also (is it OK to use that term?) who thinks laws like taxes don't apply to them because of some protected Moorish ancestry or something, equivalent to having a Native Status card but worldwide. At a bar I used to work, this guy raised a big stink and demanded we take taxes off of his bill and when we wouldn't, he sent us a strongly-worded letter citing some UN resolutions or something. We laughed and threw it in the trash. Anyone know more about this?

I'm a white guy who uses "hotep" and "hoteppy" amongst black people and its a generally understood term but YMMV. They're genuinely considered hilarious (the eye-roll kind), if not generally toxic and anti-progressive.

I think my main problem with the SovCit guys is that they actually go out looking for these interactions. There's a major difference between actually knowing your rights and being assertive in an interaction with law enforcement or a courtroom, and driving your car repeatedly through an agricultural checkpoint until you get searched.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Check out this 😮

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
A previous coworker's son was a sheriff's deputy, and according to him, sovcits were the people they most worried about. Its a rural county so there is lot of areas off the grid that are full of people who want to stay that way.

Especially after that case a few years back where a teenager just rolled out of his dad's van with a AK47 and gunned down 2 cops.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i'm pretty sure 99.9% of sovcits are mostly just "pissed at having to PAY CHILD SUPPORT TO THAT BITCH!!!!!!"

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

CitizenKain posted:

A previous coworker's son was a sheriff's deputy, and according to him, sovcits were the people they most worried about. Its a rural county so there is lot of areas off the grid that are full of people who want to stay that way.

Especially after that case a few years back where a teenager just rolled out of his dad's van with a AK47 and gunned down 2 cops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieambilla_shootings

They killed two cops in Queensland in 2022.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

Buce posted:

i'm pretty sure 99.9% of sovcits are mostly just "pissed at having to PAY CHILD SUPPORT TO THAT BITCH!!!!!!"

thats not true a lot of them hate vehicle registrations

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Froghammer posted:

Clicking on that first link corrupted my algorithm and I was immediately rewarded with this thumbnail

Fuckin love me a tricorn

Now that's what I call a free man on the land

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Am I being detained?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Loin King posted:

thats not true a lot of them hate vehicle registrations

Pretty sure a bunch have lost their license after multiple dui convictions.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
isn't hotep an egyptian deity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Froghammer posted:

Fuckin love me a tricorn

that's not a tricorn that's pinned bag hat. i stole it off a beggar or a scarecrow in rdr2