Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

you guys know that you can tell Games Workshop to go gently caress themselves and use the same rules with pieces of lint, right? They don't even make good models anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bit difficult to do that w/ the lore, if you wanna talk to other peeps about it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

bit difficult to do that w/ the lore, if you wanna talk to other peeps about it

not really, they built that in by having the two primarchs be destroyed and no one knows anything about them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the built-in spaces are for your armies, not for talking about other peeps about lore. there's nothing to talk about wrt the second and eleventh

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the built-in spaces are for your armies, not for talking about other peeps about lore. there's nothing to talk about wrt the second and eleventh

that's just bad planning

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

ZombyDog posted:

Whamuudes's Top 20 Primarchs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH22mXIcs9s
You'll never guess his number one

It's going to be the one locked up* under the imperial city.

*probably not actually locked up under the imperial city.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

This is Orks is the best. Feed em poo poo and leave em in the dark

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

sharknado slashfic posted:

It's going to be the one locked up* under the imperial city.

*probably not actually locked up under the imperial city.
You don't want to know what goes on under the Imperial City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT2y2tvmeA0

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ZombyDog posted:

You don't want to know what goes on under the Imperial City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT2y2tvmeA0

it's 38000 years in the future. The only things left on Terra are the Golden Throne and slave camps

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it's 38000 years in the future. The only things left on Terra are the Golden Throne and slave camps

It sucks in those too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD_Xh71FrJs

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

the slave camps suck?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I’m pretty sure the The war of the false Primarch was more interesting and far bigger than the Babdab war but no one ever talks about it.

Not even Chaos who would be boasting about it all the time but don’t for reasons.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

A Good Username posted:

Somebody earlier in the thread suggested Aaron Dembski-Bowden as one of the better fiction writers.
This is a fan animation of his novel Helsreach, about the Black Templars during the last War for Armageddon.
It uses the audiobook for the voice work.

Dembski-Bowden has said (on Twitter I think, I don't remember where) he's not supposed to talk about it, but he thinks it's pretty good.

It's also two and a half hours long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2WGE1L6WKs

I clicked this and went to a point at random, and it was 49 minutes in: the beginning of Grimaldus' big speech.

:allears: Chaplains are the best.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Golden cuck chair

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Tau are great when they're absolutely befuddled NATO commanders shooting dark eldar from extreme long range and wondering why all the kroot who eat dead humans start chanting incomprehensible poo poo like "The Greater Good Protects"

They are less fun when they get turned into "The Imperium but blue" and Im not yet sold on "big titty blue hoof jobs"

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I can't take the greater good seriously, and the tau by extension, because of Hot Fuzz

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sharknado slashfic posted:

I can't take the greater good seriously, and the tau by extension, because of Hot Fuzz

The Greater Good!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

The Greater Good!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

The Greater Good!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you guys know that you can tell Games Workshop to go gently caress themselves and use the same rules with pieces of lint, right? They don't even make good models anymore

You are nuts, Warhammer models are better than ever

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

You are nuts, Warhammer models are better than ever

those are cool my dude. I do like what GW makes, but they arent the be all end all of it, just want people to have fun playing a game. I don't play it, I do crossword puzzles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The joke with the Tau is that in any other sci-fi setting they'd be the bad guys, but in Warhammer 40k they look like the default good guys.

The NATO comparisons are also actually on point, as I said before their doctrine and weapon playstyle with emphasis on range, drone warfare, combined arms and utilitarian equipment makes them closest to modern day first world militaries, while everyone else tends to be various flavours of anachronism and/or sci-fi bullshit. Aesthetically they also have a lot more in common with sleek and utilitarian modern sci-fi designs like Halo. A lot of the appeal is basically 'The only ones in this galaxy trying to act like grown-ups'.