Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Kurtco needed the most extravagant gun available to blow out his brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Mega64 posted:

Kurtco needed the most extravagant gun available to blow out his brains.

Extravagant is a model 97 trench gun

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Livo posted:

I was a huge Alice in Chains fan in the 1990s/early 2000s as a teen, and the other grunge bands I also really liked, were Soundgarden & Pearl Jam. I don't hate Nirvana at all, they had a huge cultural impact, I just felt they were overrated compared to other Seattle based bands & their musical abilities.

I had family who loved Kurt, so I might be biased, but one of the main things they constantly spoke about back then, was, "Kurt Cobain was a sweet wide eyed naive person, who had no interest in making any money whatsoever, at any point in his entire life, only music, and he hated money so much his commercial success forced him to commit suicide!" I found this quote in an old book in my collection, which does put that claim under a new light.

chris cornell allegedly did pretty much the same thing to soundgarden.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The big greedy record companies corrupted our innocent angels :qq:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Waif me, waif me my friend

I had some vhs tape of nirvana in Japan and he sang different lyrics to Smells like Teen Spirit.

It was like

Load up on guns
And kill your friends

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

Frances Bean Cobain looks like an exact 50/50 mixture of him & Courtney Love, usually people look like one of their parents more than the other one but she doesn't which I always found kind of cool/weird

Anyway, RIP Kurt :rip:

Frances Bean Cobain is married to Tony Hawk's son.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Grunge sucked really bad. cobain was really afraid of releasing 'about a girl' on bleach, because it had a good melody and chord progression. and that was considered to be very uncool/gay

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I was a huge Nirvana fan back in the day, still listen to their less-overplayed music these days(“Oh, the Guilt” is a banger), but Live Through This is a far better album than any Nirvana album.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

ArmedZombie posted:

skamtebord

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ArmedZombie posted:

Forging the ultimate '90s alliance between the grunge and skateboarding kingdoms :toot:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Grunge sucked really bad. cobain was really afraid of releasing 'about a girl' on bleach, because it had a good melody and chord progression. and that was considered to be very uncool/gay

I disagree, like, 100%. Good day.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

redshirt posted:

I disagree, like, 100%. Good day.

Yeah. Tad, Green River, Mudhoney were all great bands.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

well, what does that mean to you obelisk idiot. i mean what do you think that meant to him? you think kurt was just peer pressured into being too cool for commercial or could there have been anything else to it to him, you think

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Yeah more than fair. I was mostly shitposting and grew up with the tail end of grunge influenced stuff as a kid, which is not my favorite sound.

certainly didn't mean poppier songwriting=commericial. just that the lofi/indie/jangle affinities of kurt et al is more my speed. like his love of the vaselines

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What you young kids can't appreciate is that before Grunge there was Hair Metal. And it was absurd, and got ever more absurd. No one could back down!

And then Grunge came in like a tidal wave and washed it all away, never to return to this very day....

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

No but I did take a bus and two trips on a ferry accross Europe. It's weird. After two days of travelling like that anytime you stand on a wooden or carpeted floor you can still feel the movement of the waves - even after 3 days on dry land.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

kntfkr posted:

Wrong. It was yesterday. Idiot.

Sorry, you're right, the song was 'Yesterday.' I thought I was posting in the Beatles thread.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

covidstomper58 posted:

Sorry, you're right, the song was 'Yesterday.' I thought I was posting in the Beatles thread.

All my troubles seemed so far away....

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Livo posted:

I was a huge Alice in Chains fan in the 1990s/early 2000s as a teen, and the other grunge bands I also really liked, were Soundgarden & Pearl Jam. I don't hate Nirvana at all, they had a huge cultural impact, I just felt they were overrated compared to other Seattle based bands & their musical abilities.

I had family who loved Kurt, so I might be biased, but one of the main things they constantly spoke about back then, was, "Kurt Cobain was a sweet wide eyed naive person, who had no interest in making any money whatsoever, at any point in his entire life, only music, and he hated money so much his commercial success forced him to commit suicide!" I found this quote in an old book in my collection, which does put that claim under a new light.

Was Kurt having financial problems at the time? It's not an excuse but it would explain some of what was going on

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Secks Cauldron posted:

Was Kurt having financial problems at the time? It's not an excuse but it would explain some of what was going on

His financial problem was he wasn't a billionaire.

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
.. and to celebrate this here is our top ten list of the most famous celebrity suicides !

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Secks Cauldron posted:

It was probably Courtney Love's idea. Kurt was in a perpetual, heroin-induced fugue after Nevermind and probably had no idea what the gently caress was happening with finances outside of his dope budget. And Courtney is Courtney.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Real talk: His suicide did impact me pretty hard. I was already in a world of poo poo, living that life daily, when I heard the news. And I'm the kind of guy who has no heroes, no gods, no masters, etc.... but this news did hit me, like another log on a pile, or a final leaf that sends a structure toppling. 2 weeks later I basically died, 2 weeks of just pure unadulterated destruction, of my self, through drugs and alcohol of course, but more, a willingness to destroy myself. A need, an urge, a MUST! I used Kurt as a reason, as a celebration of ROCK AND ROLL!

IT'S BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN TO FADE AWAY!!!!, right? Right?

So I tried it. And I maybe died, or not, opinions vary. But I got better!

And I'm here now to tell you, you can too. You can get over it. You can.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Entorwellian posted:

It was probably Courtney Love's idea. Kurt was in a perpetual, heroin-induced fugue after Nevermind and probably had no idea what the gently caress was happening with finances outside of his dope budget. And Courtney is Courtney.

I like Buzzo's rebuttal of the record company line and his recounting of firing him as a producer because he was a strung-out junkie.

I saw Buzz play guitar in October so I'm inclined to believe him.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Thanks redshirt. It's good to know that there's still posts to be made in the afterlife.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thanks redshirt. It's good to know that there's still posts to be made in the afterlife.

Ooooooaaaahhh aaaaaaaeeeeee I'm stillllll allllliiiiiiiivvvvvveeeee!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

To think, things could have been so much better for ol' Kurtie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDkpKmj6Afs

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A guy I worked in a kitchen with was a big proponent of the 'Kurt didn't kill himself' conspiracy theory. One time he brought me a 'book' (it was printed off of the internet and bound in a folder like a book report) that was written by some detective or PI that someone, maybe Kurt's family, hired. It was basically just the PI's report on some inconsistencies around the suicide. Parts of it were compelling, but I still don't really believe he was murdered.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

I said come in! posted:

My hot take is that honestly only Nevermind was any good for Nirvana albums. There are some absolute bangers on their other albums, but only Nevermind is a masterpiece from start to finish. And we also got the Foo Fighters from the break up of the band after his death, and the Foo Fighters are one of my favorite bands ever.

hahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahaah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
loving gen xers can't stop talking about some guy who's been dead longer than he was alive