Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
It's been three decades to the day since the world lost one of its most enigmatic musical talents. April 5th, 1994, marks the day when Kurt Cobain, the troubled frontman of Nirvana, tragically took his own life at the age of 27.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg
In the 1990s Nirvana revolutionized the landscape of rock music, propelling the grunge genre to the forefront of the 1990s music scene. With Cobain's raw and emotionally charged lyrics, coupled with the band's distinctive sound, Nirvana quickly rose to prominence - with many proclaiming him the voice of a generation disillusioned with mainstream culture.

However, Cobain's rapid ascent to stardom was accompanied by personal struggles. He battled with addiction, chronic pain, and the pressures of fame, all of which took a toll on his mental health. Tragically, on April 5th, 1994, Cobain's battle came to a devastating end when he was found dead at his home in Seattle, the victim of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

What are your guys thoughts on Cobain and his musical legacy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
He hosed Hole :gizz:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Pshaw, suicide, sure, whatever you say, narc.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
In Utero sucked except for Pennyroyal Tea. If an album comes with a suggestion for EQ settings in the liner notes to make it sound good that’s usually a bad sign. All of Nirvana’s good songs are collected on Incesticide.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Remembering when Nardwuar interviewed Nirvana and Courtney was the politest one to him.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Everyone knows Dave Grohl disguised himself as Courtney Cobain to murder Kurt so he'd no longer be in Kirt's shadow.

DUH.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My biggest memory of the whole thing is that we had a high school English exam the next day, and we had to write an essay about someone we admired, and I wrote an essay on Kurt and his suicide, and was so moved by the event that I cried so much as to get actual loving tear drops on the exam paper, which in turn moved the teacher to give me extra points.

Thanks, Kurt.

Fake edit: no, can't have been the next day, it would've been some time later, because I remember being 100% convinced it wasn't actually suicide and he had been murdered and spending a lot of the paper laying out the evidence for why that was, and those theories would have needed some time to make it to a pre-Internet Finland. But anyway.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

good but overrated

Mr. Bung
Mar 24, 2005

Get out the pink press threat file
and Um-brrrptzzap the subject.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

In Utero sucked except for Pennyroyal Tea. If an album comes with a suggestion for EQ settings in the liner notes to make it sound good that’s usually a bad sign. All of Nirvana’s good songs are collected on Incesticide.

You thought that was a serious suggestion?

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
How the hell has Courtney Love gotten away with it for so long?

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

courtney love killed jim morrison

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

should've just listened to albini and not been scared by the label

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Pouring one out for a real one, thirty years later

Man, death loving sucks and I wish for happy futures to everyone feeling so bad that they feel suicide is the only way out. No one should have to feel so cornered. :(

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Scentless Apprentice is one of their best songs.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
rest in peace mr. cobain

edit: didn't foresee wizard master going through a drifting mouse phase but here we are

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

TK8325 posted:

courtney love killed jim morrison

Courtney Killed Kennedy

better band name than Hole :v:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
If you hate In Utereo then you hate Nirvana

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FklUAoZ6KxY

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
rip in peace kurt "nirvana" cobain

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I was more upset over the deaths of John Candy and Raul Julia that year, OP.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
Every day I'm reminded of Kurt's suicide and inconsolably saddened that he actually went through with it.

Because if he lived, Nirvana's boring rear end music wouldn't have become so overrated and they would have faded in to obscurity and new generations would brush them off as dad rock.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

:wrong: I Hate Myself and Want to Die from the Beavis and Butthead Do America soundtrack.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I took this photo in June of last year of the memorial bench by his house. Seeing the house in person was very weird.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

MettleRamiel posted:

Every day I'm reminded of Kurt's suicide and inconsolably saddened that he actually went through with it.

Because if he lived, Nirvana's boring rear end music wouldn't have become so overrated and they would have faded in to obscurity and new generations would brush them off as dad rock.

I bet we wouldn't have had to endure Foo Fighters tho

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

caleb posted:

:wrong: I Hate Myself and Want to Die from the Beavis and Butthead Do America soundtrack.

That was a good soundtrack, shout-out RunDMC for the hit "Bounce"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MettleRamiel posted:

Nirvana would be mentioned alongside Nickelback in terms of bands people are just sick of and are terrible. Only for 25 years later for enough people to put their feet down to stand up for Nickelback and Nirvana and pls don't be mean

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Nirvana would be mentioned alongside Nickelback in terms of bands people are just sick of and are terrible. Only for 25 years later for enough people to put their feet down to stand up for Nickelback and Nirvana and pls don't be mean

Yeah this.

OTOH I actually listened to Hole’s Live Through This for the first time a few weeks ago and it’s actually really good?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
grunge kids' highschool band named Anavrin

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bouillon Rube posted:

OTOH I actually listened to Hole’s Live Through This for the first time a few weeks ago and it’s actually really good?

Yes it is

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Breed is the better song off Nevermind. Especially on live at Reading I really like that version.

Kurt had bipolar, the song Lithium kinda sums it up at least, may have also been influence from seeing others go through it. Anyway people with bipolar are much more likely to kill themselves unfortunately. They can have great creative talents and many probably die too young for it to be recognized. It's real sad if you think about it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
My favorite Kurt story is when he spit on Elton John's piano in protest of Axl Rose.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

He didn't kill himself OP. He's still alive and chilling with Tupac and Elvis running the music industry.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Wow that's mindblowing.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Smugworth posted:

I bet we wouldn't have had to endure Foo Fighters tho

Ok so it's not just me.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

rest in pieces some dude i saw on tv a few times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM6o3lr0LbM

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm gonna find the reddit comment you stole the op from wizard master

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
When I was a kid my sister (a few years older than me) was going through a Ouija board phase. Me and my friend wanted some spooky fun and she agreed to "play" Ouija. So, she got us to meet a spirit who happened to be in the room at the time and their name was spelled out via planchette: K U R T C O B A I N.

Me and my friend had no idea who that was but it was very creepy, getting to meet someone from beyond the grave like that. Whoever this entity was, I hope they are resting in peace.

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 6, 2024

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Wilkins Micawber posted:

When I was a kid my sister (a few years older than me) was going through a Ouija board phase. Me and my friend wanted some spooky fun and she agreed to "play" Ouija. So, she got us to meet a spirit who happened to be in the room at the time and their name was spelled out via planchette: K U R T C O B A I N.

Me and my friend had no idea who that was but it was very creepy, getting to meet someone from beyond the grave like that. Whoever this entity was, I hope they are resting in peace.

Sounds like it was Kurt Cobain op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
And I swear that I don't have a gun