Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is it really true that the Blue Whale is the largest creature to ever live on Earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

You know how in bad cheap 50s movies they would have "dinosaurs" that were just baby alligators and iguanas that would have horns and sails and poo poo glued on them because this was before the days of animal rights activists in Hollywood?

The Triassic was the time period where real-life Slurposaurs roamed the Earth

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

redshirt posted:

Is it really true that the Blue Whale is the largest creature to ever live on Earth?

That we know of, to date. khwarezm's mentioned the giant Triassic ichthyosaurs Shastasaurus and Shonisaurus, which have some specimens suggesting sizes comparable to the largest blue whales. It's notoriously difficult to get good weight and even length estimates due to fragmentary remains and oh-so-many unknowns about soft-tissue anatomy.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

the giant Triassic ichthyosaurs Shastasaurus and Shonisaurus

are we absolutely sure they weren't giant birds

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Imagine the HONK that thing made

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's birds all the way down.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Birds aren’t real. Those things you see in the sky are avian theropods.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Found the thread through the April announcement. This my jam

MrQwerty posted:

also the first known apex predator, Mr. Anomalocaris

What's his username

Amazed at this big-rear end bird, and also the fact that this image appears to be in Basque

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 30, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
khwarezm can you tell me what furry dog lizard i need to beat to death with a baseball bat if i need to go back in time?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it's part of the time traveller's code:
beat not, lest ye be beaten
give unto 'don what is dimetrodon's
:dimetrodon:

+ all the rest u know

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Regular Wario posted:

khwarezm can you tell me what furry dog lizard i need to beat to death with a baseball bat if i need to go back in time?

his name is Andrew, short for Andrewsarchus

good luck

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

redshirt posted:

Second, after ur mum

By weight, yes, but there are longer jellyfish and other colonial ocean weirdos.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Deformed Church posted:

but there are longer jellyfish

what

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oh we could have a whole other thread on weird poo poo currently living in the sea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion%27s_mane_jellyfish
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lineus_longissimus

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 30, 2024

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some of them took the concept of tentacles and decided to not gently caress around.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Winklebottom posted:

are we absolutely sure they weren't giant birds

There's a reason when the first fossil marine reptiles and pterosaurs were being discovered one of the early popular theories was that they alongside the recently discovered monotremes represented an odd in between group between birds and mammals(as similarly a popular belief was that reptiles became birds and then birds became mammals)

Deformed Church posted:

Second, after ur mum

By weight, yes, but there are longer jellyfish and other colonial ocean weirdos.

And if we extend this out to living things that aren't animals the largest organism on Earth is Pando a quaking aspen who occupies an area of approximately 106 acres and weighs about 6000 tons and depending on which estimate you subscribe to is anywhere from 14000 to 80000 years old

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

And if we extend this out to living things that aren't animals the largest organism on Earth is Pando a quaking aspen who occupies an area of approximately 106 acres and weighs about 6000 tons and depending on which estimate you subscribe to is anywhere from 14000 to 80000 years old

But enough about your mom :twisted:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

This is a statue of the Megalonyx jeffersonii - the Megalonyx were a genus of giant ground sloth that went extinct about 13,000 years ago, and there is evidence that earlier human beings interacted with Megalonyx.

His name is Rusty.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
is there any fossil evidence of giant frogs existing?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Regular Wario posted:

There's a bigly frog named Beelzebufo but it wasn't crazy large

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Regular Wario posted:

Beelzebufo, though apparently it was smaller than they initially thought.

Kangxi posted:

This is a statue of the Megalonyx jeffersonii - the Megalonyx were a genus of giant ground sloth that went extinct about 13,000 years ago, and there is evidence that earlier human beings interacted with Megalonyx.

His name is Rusty.

So one of the things that always gets me excited when looking at the late Pleistocene is the possibility that some of these extinct animals you can barely imagine actually being a live today might actually have been the subject for paintings and such by early human arrivals in places like the Americas or Australia. In Colombia there's a large amount of rock art at place called Serranía de la Lindosa and its been theorized that there could be a bunch of extinct animals being depicted here, most notably a big dangerous thing attacking humans that could be either a Ground Slot or a Short Faced Bear.

Interpreting these images is highly controversial, in addition to their age with arguments that they might not even be older than a few hundred years. And no offense to ancient Colombians but god I wish they took a few art lessons from their French contemporaries to make it clearer for posterity. As I mentioned in the Australia post as well there's cave art found there too that has been tentatively been interpreted as depicting Thylacoleo or at least a Thylacine:

It blows my mind the idea that these kinds of creatures would have been a normal part of everyday life for people pretty much the same as those alive today.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 1, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
aww i hoping there was a dog sized frog that ate meganeura

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
This has become my new favourite thread!

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

This has become my new favourite thread!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/04/a-prehistoric-hunt-preserved-in-incredible-fossilized-tracks/558797/

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The picture on that article makes it look like the sloth is a drunk guy that wants to fight trying to be talked down by his mates

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

Unfortunately Bennett is a well known harasser of women

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

khwarezm posted:

That's a good point, but when it comes to sail functionality there's very little written about Ctenosaurs compared to more familiar cases like Spinosaurs and early Synapsids. If I can talk about those other animals, I know there's a lot of work that's been done on the thermoregulatory properties of them for Dimetrodon and its controversial because you get smaller sail like structures on related genera like Sphenacodon where my understanding is that research points towards them being of little use for gaining or losing heat. You also have the sails on much smaller species within the Dimetrodon genus, even though structures like this would be more useful for larger animals (like the elephant here) who may have bigger issues with getting too hot. Finally I think recent research has shown that the sails go through distinct growth spurts that would match sexual maturity more than anything, just generally most times I've seen this discussed I get the impression that thermoregulation is not a favoured idea at the moment.

Spinosaurus has a totally different structure to the sail compared to Synapsids, with much thicker bones making it up, its also Spinosaurus so literally everything about it is controversial. Maybe it does have a better argument for thermoregulation, but I've also heard people suggest that it was used for herding fish and helping it swim in addition to the display functionality, I'll just admit I don't really know.

I didn't want to get extremely into the weeds on particulars, I was mostly just cautioning against the tendency to throw up our hands and go "I dunno, a sex display?" at anatomical features that don't have an immediately apparent function. Although I would mention that computer modeling of Dimetrodon's sail shows that it would be quite effective at gaining heat, though not nearly as much at losing it, so kind of the opposite of an elephant's ears in that regard. But that could well have been its function anyway; there's a whole spectrum of thermoregulatory schemes besides the commonly understood "cold-blooded" and "warm-blooded", maybe they needed more help getting revved up than coming down, and it became adapted to that purpose from an ancestor's smaller crest which was maybe a sex display (or fat hump, or whatever).

quote:

I do agree with the tendency for it to feel like Scientists go 'gently caress it, its sex related' to any bizarre feature lol. I've also noticed that meme about 'Ritual Object' when it comes to archaeology too. I suppose I'm not one to second guess but you do wonder if people are just doing that to have an explanation, I've sometimes wondered about things like the tail of a Thresher Shark and how we know it actually does have practical functionality of whipping fish, but if scientist 50 million years in the future with no Thresher sharks around found a fossil preserving this feature, wouldn't the automatic assumption be that it was for sexual display and any other reason is too ridiculous to explain such a weird tail?

I think part of it too is just that, you know, scientists are people like anybody else, and people don't like to be put on the spot and not have a good answer for a pressing question. When you're an ostensible expert in your field and you're writing up a new discovery, or publishing another research review for our delightful "publish or perish" paradigm, "I don't know" isn't good enough -- even though that's supposed to be the germination of all discovery, the beginning of wisdom. It should be okay to admit that sometimes we just don't know, but pride and ego are as old as the rocks and the fossils.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Dimetrodon wasn't nearly big enough to require a radiator adaptation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Also some of the sphenacodontidae which were very closely related to dimetrodon barely had any sails at all, such as the sphenacodon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphenacodon

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's an amazing 1981 documentary movie from the National Film Board of Canada. It's bizarre to think that this was just 12 years before Jurassic Park hit cinemas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv3_TSbwx14

1981 doco about prehistoric mammals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yjx_bgfSCM

Here's a news feature from 1967
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_oBI385qSE

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Makes me wonder if it's a case of runaway evolution.