Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
We have threads about birds but not threads about their significantly cooler ancestors, or really the significantly cooler ancestors of everything, especially us. I'm sorting that out right now.

Tully's Monster is a Late Carboniferous creature from Illinois who's affinity is so baffling that we can't even tell if its an invertebrate or vertebrate, which is frankly humiliating. Every few years there's a new study that comes out claiming to definitively place the animal in a known group and calling the previous bunch of researchers a bunch of morons who couldn't science their way out of a paper bag, only to get debunked by the next paper doing the same thing. Recently there's been lots of arguments about the eyes to try and determine what the hell it is because nobody wants to even touch the cartoon mouth on the trunk.

Helicoprion is a cartilaginous fish who's closest living relative are Chimaeras (not sharks proper as people frequently claim), it evolved a big gently caress off sawblade in place of a normal jaw that took forever for Scientists to figure where to put it, and it could get really, really big, it was actually probably one of the biggest animals prior to the Mesozoic, reaching lengths of something like 9 meters.

You really can't go wrong with Spinosaurus, every time you read an article or listen to a podcast featuring a scientist talking about this animal you can just tell that they harbour an impossible urge to beat the poo poo out of the other scientists who disagree with them until they stop doing science wrong, especially as it relates to whether or not they used their tail to swim. The trick for any aspiring Paleoartist is to make whatever wacky reconstruction they can see in their acid fuelled nightmares and simply wait for the official research to catch with them 4 years later:

Carcharodontosaurus could definitely beat Tyrannosaurus in a fight, especially if he knows Krav Maga.

Sorry if there's a PYF thread or something about extinct stuff but I can't find one.

Edit; Thought I'd make a list of the effortposts in this thread about various interesting times and places and the animals that lived there:

1. Late Cenozoic South America (particularly the Miocene period).
2. Pleistocene Australasia and New Guinea.
3. The Late Miocene oceans and the terrors that dwelled beneath the waves.
4. Triassic trials and tribulations, Part One: Mad Max, Beyond Temnospondyldome
5. Triassic trails and tribulations, Part Two: the Crazy world of Archosaur Brown

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
Dodos were some weird monster-lookin' giant pigeons

it's really too bad that we killed them all like a bunch of assholes, I wanna see one

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I appreciate the time and effort you spent putting this thread together.

I will probably not sleep tonight, thank you for that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

also the first known apex predator, Mr. Anomalocaris

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Dodos were too loving cool for this world. :(

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i made this cool dude in spore. mystery solved

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hells ya I love extinct Weirdos.

Spinos are my favorite dinosaur. But yea the scholarship about them is changing so much. It's good that they're thinking about soft tissue being on dinosaurs and other extinct beasties but some people are going real wild with them.

Phone posting but another good one is the Dunkleosteus. Imagine a fish with a fully armored head the size of a f150.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Initially read "Extinct Breasts" and got very curious

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

twistedmentat posted:

Phone posting but another good one is the Dunkleosteus. Imagine a fish with a fully armored head the size of a f150.

Friend, I don't know how to break it to ya.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

quote:

“Dunkleosteus is already a strange fish, but it turns out the old size estimates resulted in us overlooking a lot of features that made this fish even stranger, like a very tuna-like torso,” Engelman says in a news release from Case Western.
“Some colleagues have been calling it ‘Chunky Dunk’ or ‘Chunkleosteus’ after seeing my research.”

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Pour one out for our fallen king.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I've always been partial to Stellers Sea Cow. An obese north pacific relative of the manatee hunted to extinction. It would've been cool to see these bigass whalemanatees floating around.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

That fish still gonna gently caress you up hard tho, hell yeah.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

loving Ohio, why do you make everything worse?

Still, iy could take your arm off.

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

titty_baby_ posted:

Initially read "Extinct Breasts" and got very curious

glad it wasnt just me

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

titty_baby_ posted:

I've always been partial to Stellers Sea Cow. An obese north pacific relative of the manatee hunted to extinction. It would've been cool to see these bigass whalemanatees floating around.

Wish humans would hurry up and go extinct.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Tree Bucket posted:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Tree Bucket posted:

You know how we drove that species of turtle extinct because it was so delicious none of them survived the ship back to Europe? And you know that Twilight Zone episode where the aliens have a human cookbook? Well I've got an idea!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The Jurassic Park movies need to have a competitor company that focused on bringing back extinct animals from the cenozoic. Mammoths, Cave Bears, Saber Toothed Lions, Wooly Rhinos and the like.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I knew about Helicoprion because I read a dumb horror novel last year about one that escapes from a genetics lab and terrorizes the nearby coastal town. I remember being irritated reading it because the main character detective guy likes to use the phrase “case in point” except the author thinks it’s “case and point.”

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Darth Brooks posted:

The Jurassic Park movies need to have a competitor company that focused on bringing back extinct animals from the cenozoic. Mammoths, Cave Bears, Saber Toothed Lions, Wooly Rhinos and the like.

I might do an effortpost at some point about my favorite locations and times in the Cenozoic, specifically Miocene South America and Pleistocene Australia.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gotta go to bat for all the weird Pseudosuchian archosaurs of the Triassic, especially the Aetosaurs and "rauisuchians."

More closely related to modern crocodiles than dinosaurs and birds and stuff, they were basically Dinosaurs before Dinosaurs were cool, filling all the ecological niches those guys would claim in the Jurassic. Big gently caress-off apex predators like Saurosuchus, weird armored and spiked herbivores like Desmatosuchus, and quick agile buggers like Shuvosaurus that you can only really tell isn't a dinosaur from some esoteric ankle anatomy.

They're the perfect prehistoric animal group for people who wanna piss and moan that dinosaurs aren't cool anymore since woke scientists started depicting them with feathers or whatever. No way these guys ever had feathers, scales and bony scutes all the way. They're basically like the dinosaus in 50s movies where they just glued some fins onto an alligator, but for real!

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I sculpted a helicoprion, among other non extinct species for the Australian Museum sharks exhibit which is touring the US at the moment. It's in Miami rn then it goes to San Antonio I think. The anatomy went back and forth between a few scientists and the resulting model interpreted by me is their best guess I suppose. I made the digital model and it was 3d printed on a large format machine and then painted by a talented airbrush guy.

Digital model

Fabrication

I also textured a digital version that the Australian Museum has on their website
https://austmus.pedestal3d.com/r/ceBWMM5OT7?sidebar=closed

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

EoinCannon posted:

I sculpted a helicoprion, among other non extinct species for the Australian Museum sharks exhibit which is touring the US at the moment. It's in Miami rn then it goes to San Antonio I think. The anatomy went back and forth between a few scientists and the resulting model interpreted by me is their best guess I suppose. I made the digital model and it was 3d printed on a large format machine and then painted by a talented airbrush guy.

Digital model

Fabrication

I also textured a digital version that the Australian Museum has on their website

Could have saved a lot of trouble by just using a stuffed shark from an extant species and wedging a $10 sawblade from Home Depot in the lower jaw.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EoinCannon posted:

Digital model

Fabrication

Amazing! Nice work.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I read the novel "Jaws" last night for the first time after loving the movie.

Wow. It was so good then got so 70s weird sex poo poo I was like what the gently caress.

You're nailed to the book from page 1. He's really good at painting a picture, then 2/3rds through your like what the gently caress why is he bringing this up then your like oh... It was written in '74

Megalodon are terrifying though

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

khwarezm posted:

Tully's Monster is a Late Carboniferous creature from Illinois who's affinity is so baffling that we can't even tell if its an invertebrate or vertebrate, which is frankly humiliating. Every few years there's a new study that comes out claiming to definitively place the animal in a known group and calling the previous bunch of researchers a bunch of morons who couldn't science their way out of a paper bag, only to get debunked by the next paper doing the same thing. Recently there's been lots of arguments about the eyes to try and determine what the hell it is because nobody wants to even touch the cartoon mouth on the trunk.

Being from there myself, this is exactly the type of bafflingly dumb creature I would expect to be an OG Illinoisian

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 7, 2024

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

EoinCannon posted:

Digital model

Fabrication

That’s very cool, nice work!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I recently learned of the giant Moa of new Zealand. It's crazier to me to hear about giant fauna that only went extinct very recently

And a giant eagle that hunted the moa?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I read the title as "Extinct Beats thread" and got excited to hear some weird old music.

To contribute here is Hallucigenia

look at this doofus.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

titty_baby_ posted:

I love that they had their chill secret sea cow island (until humans exterminated them in a few years after discovery).

It also blew my mind that there was a secret island of woolly mammoths until 2000 BC.

quote:

Woolly mammoths survived on island until around 2500–2000 BC, the most recent survival of any known mammoth populations; for perspective, these mammoths were living during the times of ancient Bronze Age civilizations such as Sumer, Elam and the Indus Valley. This was also the time of the fourth dynasty of Ancient Egypt.[6][4][7][8] Mammoths, apparently, died-out and subsequently disappeared from mainland Eurasia and North America around 10,000 years ago; however, about 500–1,000 mammoths were isolated on Wrangel Island and thus continued to survive for another 6,000 years.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol hallucigenia just, "what is this stupid poo poo supposed to be" the fossil

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It'd be really funny if people were just really wrong about dinosaurs, like imagine if brachiosaurus actually didn't have a really long neck or something, just a slightly elongated one

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

It'd be really funny if people were just really wrong about dinosaurs, like imagine if brachiosaurus actually didn't have a really long neck or something, just a slightly elongated one

trex being a giant chicken is even more terrifying than trex being the trex from jurassic park, i've seen my moms chickens eat live mice whole without indication that they were mousing

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Toxic Mental posted:

Then Brachytrachelopan is the sauropod for you.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I like glyptodons.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

EoinCannon posted:

Digital model

Fabrication

This is so freaking rad. I'm amazed, and wish I could go and see them!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

From All Yesterdays: Unique and Speculative Views of Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Animals

quote:

is a 2012 art book on the palaeoartistic reconstruction of dinosaurs and other extinct animals by John Conway, C. M. Kosemen and Darren Naish. A central tenet of the book concerns the fact that many dinosaur reconstructions are outdated, overly conservative, and inconsistent with the variation observed in modern animals.This focus is communicated through an exploration of views of dinosaurs and related animals that are unusual and sometimes even confusing to viewers, but which are well within the bounds of behaviour, anatomy and soft tissue that we see in living animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Wombats are cool.

So it would follow that giant wombats are also cool, yeah?

Here is a bloke standing next to a model of one.