Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh whoops i didn't realize we had a thread for this

fiance and i drove up to buffalo to watch it. it was really overcast but there would be occasional thin points in the clouds where we could see it happening. we even got to see the totality for about five seconds. i now agree with people who say it's worth it even if there's total cloud coverage and you can't see anything. that was absolutely wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

graph posted:

i guess what makes totality totality is that after totality starts you can take off your special glasses and there's just this giant loving black orb in the sky, something that cameras really can't get a good picture of, and it's just dark blue and cool quiet and windy with this loving huge vantablack orb surrounded by bright white corona, just like what the gently caress

having seen partial in 2017, partial, while neat, is nothing to 100% and recommend seeing it at some point. holy cripes

yeah before seeing this i understood why ancient people freaked out when it happened but now i get it. that triggers something primal in you

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Eeyo posted:

i didn't expect to see a dramatic 360 degrees sunset, that was neat. like the whole horizon was a beautiful sunset, bright red clouds in the distance with stars and poo poo in the sky.

also didn't expect to see a solar prominence, that was the red spot on the bottom of the moon's edge.

yeah I saw the prominence, too, a real surprise and absolutely incredible. Could see a couple planets in the darkness, presumably venus and idk something else behind me from looking towards the sun. first time I've experienced totality, it's truly surreal.

drove up from MA to VT, getting there was a little rough at points but holy poo poo the drive home was a nightmare. Normally would take around 3 hours, yesterday it took somewhere around 7. :shepicide: every road was a parking lot from northern VT all the way down to Hooksett, NH

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol and today is clear blue sky

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Chris Knight posted:

same

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty surprised at the number of people I'm seeing that didn't get the totality experience because they didn't take their glasses off.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
c/w got some nice ones

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

someone got an even better one

https://mattshifflerphotography.com/product/eclipse/

drat, and way more color-accurate

graph fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 9, 2024

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
noice

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

graph posted:

having seen partial in 2017, partial, while neat, is nothing to 100% and recommend seeing it at some point. holy cripes

it's the difference between being hit by lightning and being hit by a lightning bug

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

ouch, my condolences

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

shame on an IGA posted:

it's the difference between being hit by lightning and being hit by a lightning bug

lol this is like twice quoted from twain

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph posted:

i guess what makes totality totality is that after totality starts you can take off your special glasses and there's just this giant loving black orb in the sky, something that cameras really can't get a good picture of, and it's just dark blue and cool quiet and windy with this loving huge vantablack orb surrounded by bright white corona, just like what the gently caress

ya, it was really wild to look up and see it with my own eyes, breathtaking and I think I let out some invectives and holy exclamations

graph posted:

c/w got some nice ones

whoa, nice! my camera was both old and has a crappy lens for shooting at that distance, but someone else had a better setup and were still pooling our photos

graph posted:

someone got an even better one

https://mattshifflerphotography.com/product/eclipse/

drat, and way more color-accurate

this is really cool. we were out in north olmstead with a good view and the thing that caught me off-guard was how crystal clear and sparkling the rim was. I don't think I've seen a video or photo quite capture the dynamic edge so clearly

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

ya, it was really wild to look up and see it with my own eyes, breathtaking and I think I let out some invectives and holy exclamations

whoa, nice! my camera was both old and has a crappy lens for shooting at that distance, but someone else had a better setup and were still pooling our photos

this is really cool. we were out in north olmstead with a good view and the thing that caught me off-guard was how crystal clear and sparkling the rim was. I don't think I've seen a video or photo quite capture the dynamic edge so clearly

yeah both cameras and displays are literally incapable of that sort of reproduction i think

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

here's my somewhat janky composite of my photos. my dslr is old and i dusted it off to get most of these, a few with my phone. honestly just happy the middle turned out at all

my scaling is all off, and you can tell when i stopped shooting as frequently. i'll have to get the rest of the group's photos and try to make something nicer

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

gj op

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Agile Vector posted:

here's my somewhat janky composite of my photos. my dslr is old and i dusted it off to get most of these, a few with my phone. honestly just happy the middle turned out at all

my scaling is all off, and you can tell when i stopped shooting as frequently. i'll have to get the rest of the group's photos and try to make something nicer

nice :)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Agile Vector posted:

it was absurd and insane

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i like graphs photo best cause you can see the little solar flare at the edge there at the bottom

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Agile Vector posted:

that's pretty neat op, nice job

e: i kinda feel like i should've set something up in advance but i just kind of last minute grabbed the closest camera and tried using the paper glasses i had over the lens lol. i would've at least used a native lens

but i just wasn't expecting to see much honestly, they were predicting like 48% maximum coverage and florida is almost always overcast

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 10, 2024

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
drove to texas and stayed with my cousin for a few days. we drove up the road about half an hour since his place was just barely inside the zone of totality. found a field adjacent to a walmart and it was a real nail biter during the lead up with clouds obscuring and then clearing, but we got supremely lucky and about twenty minutes or so before totality we got a big break.

there were a couple of light clouds that drifted past but most of totality was completely unobscured. we got something like 3:30-3:40 of it. the tension and anticipation leading up to it resulted in a wave of giddy euphoria when it happened that i don’t remember having felt for a very long time.

on top of our weather luck we also had zero problem with traffic. i think because we weren’t going to/from major cities and most folks in the area were content to sit tight where they were.

making my way back home now. going to see the grand canyon for the first time on my way back. also the national nuclear museum in new mexico like someone here suggested a while back. also seen two of the meow wolfs already, definitely planning a third at santa fe, might give in and duck up to las vegas to do the grand tour.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

there were a couple of light clouds that drifted past but most of totality was completely unobscured. we got something like 3:30-3:40 of it. the tension and anticipation leading up to it resulted in a wave of giddy euphoria when it happened that i don’t remember having felt for a very long time.

:) that specific blue is still forefront in my head

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

making my way back home now. going to see the grand canyon for the first time on my way back. also the national nuclear museum in new mexico like someone here suggested a while back. also seen two of the meow wolfs already, definitely planning a third at santa fe, might give in and duck up to las vegas to do the grand tour.

hell yeah safe travels fca

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

graph posted:

:) that specific blue is still forefront in my head

right? almost actinic

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mediaphage posted:

right? almost actinic

no it takes years of overexposure to sun to get that kind of keratosis

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I was too busy staring at the sun and missed this thread.

As impressive as the eclipse was I was more amazed at how perfect the weather was in Cleveland for it. The week before was cold (it sleeted one day), rainy, and completely overcast. For the eclipse we had clear skies and weather that hit 70. We never have weather cooperate like that.

I had the parents and a family friend come up the night before, because my house was directly under the totality path and they were predicting trafficgeddon for the past month. Traffic was totally fine the whole day, but it was still a great time and I was happy to host.

I still can't get over how much the light changes from 99% to 100% occlusion.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

TerminalRaptor posted:

As impressive as the eclipse was I was more amazed at how perfect the weather was in Cleveland for it.

we got so lucky

TerminalRaptor posted:

it was like *click* you're now in ultraworld !

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

a contrail drifted in front of the eclipse here and it was the first time I noticed the faint clouds moving. it was an eerie parallax effect that you'd normally see at night but it felt too close with the eclipse as point of reference

you can see it in the terminal tower photos linked in the thread. looks like they both took their photo just after it passed

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

TerminalRaptor posted:

they were predicting trafficgeddon for the past month. Traffic was totally fine the whole day

yeah, we drove in from columbus early in the day and it was lighter than 71's weekend traffic. considering there was a college championship, the home opener, and the eclipse, it was the exact opposite of expectations

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
read this whole thread and now my head hurts and i cant see very well

did anyone else make this joke yet pls say no

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TerminalRaptor posted:

it says something about how much energy is coming out of the sun that it can be 90% covered and it's maybe a little darker than usual.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Midjack posted:

it says something about how much energy is coming out of the sun that it can be 90% covered and it's maybe a little darker than usual.

it says more about how human vision is like 10x logarithmic but yes the sun is absolutely exceedingly overwhelmingly bright

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

local man: ball of nuclear fusion a million miles across is "very bright"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
:3: https://www.13abc.com/2024/04/11/former-science-teacher-reunites-with-students-solar-eclipse-after-46-years

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I realized after the eclipse that it was actually a lot less bright during the peak, even at just 60%. it was colder too. I mean the sun was at just 40% of its normal strength so the numbers make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

this is real nice :-)