Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
this thread is not about the ide it's about the eclipse on april 8th!

are you in the path of totality? are you going anywhere or doing anything? do you have your special glasses ready!!

i have a camping chair in my trunk and will be watching from my building parking lot. they're expecting 200,000 people in and around downtown for it.

should i put my 2019 goose island bourbon barrel stout in the fridge? or the 2019 great lakes barrel-aged alberta clipper. hm

post your eclipse plans and sun-blockingest deets u got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

moon sun goatse

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

we're getting about 90% in deecee so i'm going to stand in the parking lot at 3pm with my solar binoculars.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
my folks are driving 3 hours to Carbondale cuz I guess SIU is doing some talks and presentations and stuff in the stadium which is a pretty on brand trip for my parents

also where dad went to undergrad so nostalgia etc

I live over here so I’ll look at photos online later

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph posted:

are you in the path of totality? are you going anywhere or doing anything? do you have your special glasses ready!!

we are but we'll be especially in the path for it! should be a good near 4 minutes, just a bit SW of Cleveland, at the house of some friends of the family

gonna have lunch there and hang out, but we're heading out early to beat the crowds on the freeway so bedtime now

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also I made a kludgy cover for my phone camera but one guy is setting up a proper tripod etc. and I dug out my old dslr, so maybe we'll get some okay photos

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the eclipse is Gods dire warning to us that we must stop worshipping the computer devil machine and return to virtuous pursuits like woodworking and building sheds and so forth

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Offer not valid in Europe, dang

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Eclipse of Hearts

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Made a trip out to Ohio to get myself in totality. Looks like I’m getting clouded out though!

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk posted:

Made a trip out to Ohio to get myself in totality. Looks like I’m getting clouded out though!

Oh it looks like cloud coverage forecast improved a bit. Fingers crossed!

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

rotor posted:

the eclipse is Gods dire warning to us that we must stop worshipping the computer devil machine and return to virtuous pursuits like woodworking and building sheds and so forth

:hmmyes:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol owned

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

rotor posted:

:yeah:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
only getting about 60% here so not too bothered about it tbh

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
going to spend my three minutes of totality hanging out with the astronomy department at one of their moms house lol

no hands

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

looks like it's gonna be cloudy here, i doubt we're gonna see anything

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
1149am and not a cloud in the sky in downtown cle, hope it stays that way

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
There's some light clouds down here in Dublin but currently can see the sun perfectly well through my sunoculars.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
79N in western pa is currently brickwalled with everyone trying to get to erie

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
My father-in-law yesterday say 71 had a whole bunch of extra "don't stop on the berm" signs.

Good luck with that. What are you going to do, tow everybody?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
nasa has a website where you can pop in your zip and see how much of it will be visible and when: https://eclipse-explorer.smce.nasa.gov/

it says 48.4% maximum visibility here, but it's also pretty overcast today so :smith:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJ3LIA5LmA

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://x.com/SkrticX/status/1777383427903312205

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
lol at the people who traveled here to see the eclipse, there's not a sliver of blue sky right now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

San Francisco is only getting like 50% but it's beautiful and clear and you can already see a chunk taken out of the bottom of the Sun. Neato

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
rain passed us by but still overcast af

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I went up to the astronomy lab and they have a telescope set up and you can see the little plasma loops coming off the edge of the disc 🌞

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
it has begun!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

I snapped a pic with a makeshift pinhole camera

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
woo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
where we're at:

like a minute ago I went for the mail and saw a bit of the disc, but then the clouds came right back :(

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's clear here and the eclipse has started. I saw it through some hopefully legit glasses and it was okay. It's not total here though so not quite as exciting.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
well just went out and looked, nasa's thing was pretty dead on wrt timing. pretty neat but it was only about ~45% occluded imo

i tried to take a few pics through the glasses but i doubt they turned out very good

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Chris Knight posted:

where we're at:

like a minute ago I went for the mail and saw a bit of the disc, but then the clouds came right back :(

this is basically what it looks like for me too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also i was looking at it through clouds (although it's not that cloudy here). you could still see it just as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i had to use starwalk to figure out where in the sky the sun even was