Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

Detroit Lions

Round 1, Pick 7 - Penei Sewell, OL, Oregon: When in doubt, take the best offensive lineman available. A 2x Pro Bowler and 1x All-Pro, Sewell should anchor the line for the next decade. Grade: A

Round 2, Pick 41 - Levi Onwuzurike, DE, Washington: Played in every game his rookie year, then missed all of '22 with a back injury, one that dated back to his time in college. A non-factor in '23, he'll more than likely be looking for a new home to try and continue his NFL career. Grade: D

Round 3, Pick 72 - Alim McNeill, DT, NC State: Played in every game his first two seasons, starting all of them his sophomore year. Missed four of the last five games last year due to injury. Solid but unspectacular, a potential candidate for upgrade in the draft. Grade: B-

Round 3, Pick 101 - Ifeatu Melifonwu, DB, Syracuse: Received sparring playing time his first two season, then played in every game last year but only started in six. A pretty whatever defender, it's more than likely that he'll be phased out with secondary the primary area of improvement for the upcoming draft. Grade: C-

Round 4, Pick 112 - Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR, USC: Praise the sun. St. Brown provided an explosive jolt the Lions desperately needed, becoming WR #1 and a favorite target of Jared Goff. A 2x Pro Bowler and 1x All-Pro, the Lions offense doesn't work without him. Grade: A+

Round 4, Pick 113 - Derrick Barnes, ILB, Purdue: Selected by the Panthers and then traded to the Browns and then to the Lions. Made a leap last season and is now the starter in the middle of the field. Cannot complain, especially for a middle rounder traded twice before taking a snap. Grade: B+

Round 7, Pick 257 - Jermar Jefferson, RB, Oregon State: Part of the Barnes trade, played in seven games his rookie year but has been a practice squad player for most of his time. That he played puts him above most 7th rounders, but he's just a guy. Grade: D+

Grade: A The biggest reason for the Lions going from laughing stock to playoff winner has been draft success. Having Sewell fall to them up top was a godsend, as was finding contributors in the middle of the draft. Getting starters on B2B picks in the middle of the 4th, especially with one being a Pro Bowler, is a commendation to a team's front office. The foundation for the '23 playoff run was laid here, it's now a matter of trying to continue on the success.

I think you’re low on McNeil and Melifonwu and high on Barnes. Alim would’ve been a Pro Bowler last year if he hadn’t gotten hurt. He absolutely took a leap after slimming down. Iffy played out of his mind at the end of the season after switching to safety and actually getting playing time, but it remains to be seen if he keeps it up in the now crowded DB room. Barnes is a replacement level ILB but he made the biggest Lions play of the last 30 years so ultimately he’s worth it. Sewell and St. Brown are going to be the defining players of this generation of Lions and the culture of the Campbell/Holmes era so it would be an A draft even if everyone else bombed out in training camp.

Also wait was Barnes actually drafted and then traded like an NBA pick or was it just that pick itself going through multiple trades before the Lions took him?

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah that's who the lions got the draft pick from but they drafted him. the nba does draft & trades to get around certain rules that the nfl doesn't have as well as makes much more complicated trades that can rely on very specific circumstances way more often so they're more comfortable creating those situations. and finally i would like to say i am lying

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 28, 2024

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also wait was Barnes actually drafted and then traded like an NBA pick or was it just that pick itself going through multiple trades before the Lions took him?

Pick went through multiple trades before the Lions took him.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

quote:

Diva Cupcake posted:
The Jets got 4 likely starters on offense in their first 4 picks. Then they drafted like a half dozen linebacker/safety/slot corner hybrids in what appears to be a spray and pray strategy.

If even one hits and they get 5 starters from a draft then that’s a home run.
1. Hilarious Bust. Traded.
2. Awesome OL when he’s not injured. Just picked up his 5th year option.
3. Malcontent shithead WR who was traded
4. Just a guy on the RB depth chart. Traded. He was funny though.

Michael Carter II and Brandin Echols in the spray and pray strategy both hit and are really the only saving graces from this poo poo draft.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Well Holland and waddle made me right
Eich… couldn’t have been more wrong

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

kalensc posted:

Looking back at the immediate reaction to the draft from TFF posters is interesting too. I grabbed a bunch of posts from the Draftermath thread.

No intent of bagging on anyone, I simply added a post to this series of quotes if it gave a poster's opinion on a team's draft choices (or lack thereof). Also a few posts made me laugh so they're in there too.

It's in order, so Night 1 comments to start, and it's into UDFA signings by the end.

i thought nico collins would be poo poo because im a drat hater and i hate michigan and i wish that bad things would happen to them and only them and i hate on them for all eternity

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

im a drat hater and i hate michigan and i wish that bad things would happen to them and only them and i hate on them for all eternity

:same: :hellyeah:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Is there no draftermath thread for this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Yeah I was wondering that too. I’ll slap one together real quick 🤷🏽‍♂️