Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Seeing as how the Fictional Character Draft revival didn't go anywhere, I'm bringing something else back. The common belief among GMs is that it takes a good three years to determine if a draft class was good or not. With that in mind, take a look at your team's draft picks from 2021 and grade them.

The Houston Texans were in a rough spot in the 2021 draft. Franchise quarterback Deshaun Watson made it clear he wasn't going to suit up for them again after the hiring of new GM Nick Caserio before it turned out he (Watson) was a sexual predator. As a result of trades orchestrated by ex-coach and ex-GM Bill O'Brien to acquire Laremy Tunsil, Houston had no picks in the first two rounds of the draft.

Round 3, Pick 67: Davis Mills, QB
I COULD talk about Mills' record as a starter (5-19-1), but I'm instead going to talk about The Most Important Play in Houston Texans History.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwvsOQvZ1hk

In a pointless game between two teams already eliminated from post-season contention in Week 18, down a touchdown with less than a minute left in the fourth quarter, on 4th & 20, Mills throws an improbable touchdown pass to TE Jordan Akins. Rather than play for a tie, the Texans went for a 2PC and convert, eventually beating the Colts 32-31. The victory seemed Pyrrhic, though, as the win occurred the same time as a Bears loss, giving Chicago the number one overall pick in the 2023 draft and moving the Texans to the number two pick. When Chicago traded the #1 pick to Carolina, everybody knew the Panthers were drafting the highly-touted quarterback Bryce Young with it. They would indeed do such a thing, leaving Caserio with two options: draft second-choice QB C.J. Stroud, or the consensus best overall player in the draft Will Anderson, Jr. He ended up doing both thanks to a trade with the Cardinals, and the rest is history.

Let's go back to 4th & 20. There are a multitude of possible universes in which Mills doesn't make that throw. In those universes, the Texans draft Young and are saddled with a 5'nothing quarterback and remain a laughingstock of the league. There are also alternate Earths in which the Texans end up with one of the other quarterbacks in the draft. Other than Trevor Lawrence, none of them get Houston even REMOTELY close to contention in 2023, and I'm being generous with Lawrence. Quite simply, the Texans needed a quarterback good enough for chaos theory to occur, but inadequate enough to not be a long-term solution. The stars aligned on that play, and it wouldn't have been possible without Davis Mills. D+ by relative property, A+ by transitive property

Round 3, Pick 89: Nico Collins, WR
I won't spend as much time on Collins as I did Mills, but Nico's a perfect example of why you need to wait three years for proper grading. He was A Guy when he was catching balls from Mills, but with Stroud he's a dynamic receiver who could end up fitting the Andre Johnson mold for years to come. A

Round 5, Pick 147: Brevin Jordan, TE
Considering the lateness of the pick, Jordan has proven himself to be a fine second choice for tight end. Ran 76 yards against the Browns for a touchdown in the only target he got during the playoffs in January. B

Round 5, Pick 170: Garret Wallow, LB
Had a few tackles, shifted to the practice squad, then waived. Still in the league, though, so I'll give him that much. C

Round 6, Pick 195: Roy Lopez, DT
See Garret Wallow. C+

And that's all the picks we had! Collins was a direct hit, Jordan was a solid pick, and Mills got the Texans where they needed to be in the end. Overall I give the draft a B+ in retrospect, especially considering the picks made between 2018 and 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't know anthing about how to play football or what's good.

Round 1, Pick 5: Ja'Marr Chase, WR
went to sb due to this but lost. A+ still

Round 2, Pick 47: Jackson Carman, OT
really bad guy who sucks. has had like 3 games where he was average. gone soon F

Round 3, Pick 69: Joseph Ossai, DE
looked like a good rotational piece as a rookie. sort of lost in the shuffle atm, don't know. sex nubmer. C-

Round 4, Pick 111: Cameron Sample, DE
plays. ranges from whatever to ok. decent production from this spot. B

Round 4, Pick 122: Tyler Shelvin, DT
favor to lsu teammates. arguably as bad a pick as round 2 since ok players could still be had. F

Round 4, Pick 139: D'Ante Smith, OT
genuinely don't know. i hate sitting and thinking about the very bad offensive line during these past few years, and looking at them. N/A or C- if pretending to know

Round 5, Pick 149: Evan McPherson, K
good but sort of overrated kicker due to his big leg. need a kicker. A-

Round 6, pick 190: Trey Hill, C
has seen the field a lot. ok as a guy to come in while somebody gets an injection into their thigh to be able to play the rest of the game. i sort of don't know here as well. i'm a fake fan of football and pretend about 90% of anything i say or think about football B-

Round 6, pick 202: Chris Evans, RB
fine in spot duty and some returns B-

Round 7, pick 235: Wyatt Hubert, DE
never heard of this person and it's made up F for Fake

UDFA: Drue Chrisman P
bad to mediocre punter. better than no punter. haven't had a good punter in a while. didn't cost anything C

Overall: C+ (78.7%)

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Chiefs - less picks and no first rounder after the Chiefs traded for Orlando Brown Jr. Not the best trade ever, but he was solid enough to be starting LT for a Super Bowl winning team.

Round 2: Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri - Became a starting LB and defensive leader on team nearly instantly. Will likely get a second contract. Scored a TD winning a Super Bowl - A

Round 2: Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma - All Pro level Center play from the jump. Will be the highest paid center in the league in a few months. A+

Round 4: Joshua Kaindoh, DE, Florida State - Picked up as a developmental pick as a former 5 star HS recruit. Ultimately never amounted to anything (only made 3 appearances) and washed out of the league. F

Round 5: Noah Gray, TE, Duke - Solid dependable TE2. B

Round 5: Cornell Powell, WR, Clemson - Never cracked the WR rotation, but stuck around as a practice squad body to this day. D

Round 6: Trey Smith, G, Tennessee - Steal of the draft. Starter from day 1 as RG. Will get a big fat contract next year thanks to the Guard market exploding this year. A+

Notable UDFAs

Zayne Anderson, LB, BYU - Special Teamer, who spent a couple of years oscillating between practice squad and making appearances on special teams. Played 10 games for the Packers last year. C
Malik Herring, DE, Georgia - Was a UDFA because of a torn ACL at the Senior Bowl and spent his rookie season on the reserve/injury list. Made the 53 as a rotational DE for 2022 and 2023, and made a tackle in the Super Bowl vs the 49ers. A-

3 plus starters and a 2 couple of solid role players for a team that subsequently won 2 SBs. Somehow, this isn't Veach's best draft - A

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

R1 (15): QB Mac Jones, Alabama. - Started off strong then got ruined by coaching malpractice. He is the Jaguars problem now. D

R2 (38): DI Christian Barmore, Alabama. - He is a good player. A

R3 (96): EDGE Ronnie Perkins, Oklahoma. - He's on the Broncos now? F

R4 (120): RB Rhamondre Stevenson, Oklahoma. - Good player / pick, he is up for a contract extension. A

R5 (177): LB Cameron McGrone, Michigan. - He's on the Colts now. F

R6 (188): CB Joshuah Bledsoe, Missouri. - He's still rostered? B

R6 (197): OT William Sherman, Colorado. - He's also on the Broncos? F

R7 (242): WR Tre Nixon, UCF. - He may be on the roster? F

That is how the Patriots have so much cap space. They didn't bother drafting anyone worth keeping. They only got 2 starters in this draft. Overall grade is a D. I'm curious to hear if Colts / Broncos fans can provide any feedback on our former picks.

Edit: The one good thing is they didn't pick any white supremacists this time around.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 20, 2024

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The Jets took Zach Wilson lmao

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
titan up

Round 1: No. 22 - Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech: Our former GMs second totally atrocious bust first round pick in a row. Remember, the year before was the Isaiah Wilson draft (he ended up playing four snaps total for Tennessee). We needed either offensive tackle help or a CB here, and picked somebody who had multiple back surgeries in college. The end result was that he was awful as a rookie and tore his acl midway through the season. He played 9 games as a backup in his second season, hosed up his back again, had another back surgery, and didn’t play at all in his third year as he recovered from his surgery. Also had some really awful off field stuff happen which I don’t feel like goofing around about right now. He will probably not be cut for financial reasons but there is a good chance he has played his last snap for the titans. I’m just rooting for the guy to be physically able to play at this point, he was awful when he saw the field. Seems like a nice dude. F
Could have had: Christian Darrisaw one pick later, Asante Samuel Jr would have been seen as an overdraft but he would have been better here.

Round 2: No. 53 - Dillon Radunz, OT, North Dakota State: This pick was a huge overcompensation after the Isaiah Wilson disaster. An undersized tweener out of a small school. Over the last three years he’s played at LT, RG, and RT. He’s been terrible at both tackle spots and was maybe ok to mediocre at guard at the end of his third season if you were squinting and turning your head at an angle while you watched the tape. He’s a false start machine too and straight up makes everything more difficult. He is better than the first rounder if only because he has actually played some. D- Could have had: Nick Bolton, Creed Humphrey

Round 3: No. 92 (from GB) - Monty Rice, LB, Georgia: Basically ended up being a depth LB and special teams player for two and a half seasons before his poo poo attitude got him released. He’s on the saints now. Another complete waste of a pick. F

Round 3: No. 100 - Elijah Molden, CB, Washington: the only pick from this draft that hasn’t been completely terrible. Originally our slot/nickel corner, Molden had a good rookie season, was injured for his entire second year, and got converted to number three safety by year three. He’s ok but probably isn’t going to get another deal here. He was good enough at CB to stay there IMO but was usurped by Roger mccreary who is just better. I hope he ends up balling out this year because it would be nice to see him stick with the team but I don’t think he’ll be playing enough at safety, the team is looking at putting a veteran in place in front of him. C+ but depending on how year four goes it could go up to a B-

Round 4: No. 109 - Dez Fitzpatrick, WR, Louisville: picked two spots before Amon Ra St Brown. Had five catches for 49 yards in his rookie year and didn’t make the team in his second season. Was picked two spots before Amon ra st brown. Was picked two spots before Amon ra st brown. I’m giving him a D- because he caught a touchdown one time. Amon ra st brown has caught many more touchdowns and, get this, was available to pick at this spot.

Round 4: No. 135 (from GB) - Rashad Weaver, DE, Pittsburgh: bad pick. Was in a bar fight where he “allegedly” slapped a woman in the face like two days before the draft. The titans didn’t know about it per every beat reporter for the team which makes it slightly less repulsive to have him around. The case was eventually dropped as the woman he “allegedly” hit was uncooperative. Setting all that aside, he’s been a mediocre rotational pass rusher but has had a bad tude and little on field production in either his rookie year (injured, IR) or in 2023 (sucked). Will 100% not be getting a second contract offer here unless he like…has double digit sacks and pays for a battered women’s shelter or something. D+

Round 6: No. 205 - Racey McMath, WR, LSU: project WR with good physical traits and zero idea how to actually run routes or play wide receiver with any nuance whatsoever. He was fine on special teams and had like three catches here ever. Is no longer on the team. C-

Round 6: No. 215 - Brady Breeze, S, Oregon: drafted to be a backup safety. Was on the practice squad and then got cut in his rookie year. Never saw the field. F

Overall this draft was a second consecutive disaster. Jon Robinson was an nfl draft terrorist who got very very lucky one time in 2019 and otherwise largely was horrible at it.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I was responsible for the Texans in the Goon Draft. Jevon Holland and Amon Ra St Brown. Quite happy with that haul.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

1-15 Mac Jones - Ruined by both himself and his environment. A cheap shotting dickhead who hit the rookie wall, then had Matt Patricia as his OC, no plus offensive weapons, and then a ruinously terrible offensive line spooked him to the point where he'd throw prayers to the secondary.

2-38 DT Christian Barmore - Very good defensive tackle, about to be handsomely paid. Not elite, but very good.

4-120 RB Rhamondre Stevenson - A solidly good platoon back. Spent most of last year injured, not as productive as you'd expect when you watch him run.

Flotsam:
3-96 DE Ronnie Perkins
5-177 LB Cameron McGrone
6-188 S Joshuah Bledsoe
6-197 OL William Sherman
7-242 WR Tre Nixon

Missed on the QB, got a very good starter and a solid roleplayer and nothing else. QB too important not to call this a failing grade.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Miami Dolphins

1 Jaylen Waddle WR 6
This one was an interesting one to sit down and think about, because there's a lot of angles- there's the decision to trade from #3 to #12 and back down to #6 for Waddle, which was controversial, and then picking Waddle out vs. Ja'Marr Chase, Kyle Pitts, and DeVonta Chase.

In terms of just getting a good player, hell yeah drat good pick. I think there's a Tyreek Hill question in re: to how he affects his production. On one hand you're lining up next to a guy who is probably going into the HOF in his prime, but on the other hand you're probably 85-90% of Tyreek Hill yourself trying to fight him into being the beneficiary of the same passing concepts and targets. When Hill's been out or hobbled Waddle answers the bell, but it's hard to know exactly what you've got for a guy who is a top pick for maybe the best #2 in the league.

He's not as good as Ja'Marr Chase, probably? If the math is Jaylen Waddle vs. Ja'Marr Chase and the 1st you got by passing him up, I think you're happy with what you got there- but then to complicate things that extra 1st got forfeited by your owner being a dumbass so it's academic. I'm pretty happy with Waddle over Kyle Pitts and DeVonta Smith, but again it's kinda hard. I think without Hill you've got Waddle in the conversation at least for a top guy, but it's hard to say.

Grade: GOOD, but complicated???

1 Jaelan Phillips 18 DL
He's good, he's got hints of being great, but hasn't gotten there yet. He's clearly very physically talented, and looks like he made the jump in 2022- but it's hard to say after an injury-dogged 2023, and he'll be recovering early in 2024 too.

Looking at the board at #18- this was the right pick in retrospect. The second half of the 1st round in the 2021 draft wasn't full of a lot of guys who would make you say "ah yeah but you passed X".

Grade: GOOD, but not great

2 Jevon Holland 36 S
He's another good player that you keep looking at making the jump to "great" but hasn't really gotten there yet. He's a good direct-coverage/single high player, a good split safety for Vic Fangio... but he's never really settled into a role and in 2024 he might end up playing a Kyle Hamilton big nickel role(which is what Holland did in coverage). He did have the game where every time Lamar Jackson was trying to throw a pass he was trying to do it through Holland being in his face which ruled.

Grade: GOOD, but not great

2 Liam Eichenberg 42 OL

You want this one back, for sure and it's always going to be in the context of passing on Creed Humphrey. He's played all 5 on the OL and been lovely at all of them, ranging from game-ruining to merely sub-mediocre. I think you saw a guy who looked like a solid low-ceiling, high-floor safe pick who was good in college and then he didn't really even have the baseline juice you thought he did.

Grade: BAD(and you traded up for bad too)

3 Hunter Long 81 TE 3

I hated this at the time, and was correct. You could sort of see what they wanted to do by getting a classic Y to go with Mike Gesicki, but this is another high-flloor, low-ceiling guy who didn't have the juice to play despite being very productive in college.

GRADE: BAD

7 Larnel Coleman 231 T
7 Gerrid Doaks

I don't remember anything from these guys.

OVERALL It's a draft where you had three good players at the top you're staring at expectantly to make the jump to be great. It's a better draft than like 85-90% of what probably came out of this one, but it's still not hard to look at it and hope it'll look better.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 20, 2024

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

no not participating in this thread. gently caress off.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Chargers!

Round 1: Rashawn Slater (LT) -- Slater dropped in the Draft into their lap and the team didn't overthink it. This past year was his worst year, being league average and it appears that was due to injury. He's still a franchise LT, and I'm not gonna call this anything other than a goddamn success. A+
Round 2: Asante Samuel Jr. (CB) -- Still a little raw, but the last cornerback standing out of the last few years. He's been pretty drat good, and again a player that fell into their laps that they didn't overthink. A-
Round 3: Joshua Palmer (WR) -- A....good...round 3 prospect? It appears so! FINALLY IT HAPPENED since drafting Keenan Allen so many years ago. He's not Keenan Allen good, but having a good WR2 or WR3 still isn't bad for a third round pick. B
Round 3: Tre' McKitty (TE) -- A meh tight end who can't really catch but seems to block. I don't know, I don't really see his name called. C
Round 4: Chris Rumph II (DE) -- At first, he seemed to be a good pick but I think he's off the team, was bad. D
Round 5: Brendan Jaimes (OT) -- Just really bad. F
Round 6: Nick Niemann (LB) -- I think he's a rotational player, not bad for a round 6 find. C+
Round 6: Larry Roundtree (RB) -- The team really tried to talk him up, but he never amounted to anything despite the chances he was given. F
Round 7: Mark Webb (S) -- I'd have to look at this, but I think he turned out to be pretty good. To find someone serviceable in round 7 is a fantastic find. B

This might have been Telesco's finest draft outside of getting Justin Herbert. 3 starters, plus a few rotational players isn't bad at all. It wasn't transformative for the team, but it sure as hell gave them a fighting chance to be better. Too bad Staley was head coach by this time. Oh well, maybe Harbs will make better use of these guys who're still on the team.

Overall: B+

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Green Bay Packers

- Round 1, pick #29: Eric Stokes - corner whose strong rookie season made us think we were about to have a powerhouse secondary, and then who spent the last two seasons constantly injured. Not throwing in the towel on him yet, but it's been disappointing. Grade: D
- Round 2, pick #62: Josh Myers - center who was injured for most of his rookie season, but who's been a full-time starter the past two years. Definitely a step down from what had been a long run of really good play at center, but still a serviceable starter on an overperforming offensive line. Grade: B
- Round 3, pick #85: Amari Rodgers - Randall Cobb's protégé receiver was absolutely godawful and actually cost us games. Grade: F
- Round 4, pick #142: Royce Newman - guard who started as a rookie but was below-average, then got benched the last two seasons and has only had spot starts due to injury. Not Could be worse, but still pretty underwhelming. Grade: D
- Round 5, pick #173: Tedarrell Slaton - played in every game of his first two seasons as part of the defensive line rotation before becoming a starter in his third season. Not setting the world on fire, but he contributes. Grade: C
- Round 5, pick #178: Shemar Jean-Charles - backup corner who tallied 11 tackles in two seasons before getting cut. Grade: F
- Round 6, pick #214: Cole Van Lanen - guard who failed to make the roster and spent his rookie season on the practice squad, then got traded to Jacksonville for a seventh-rounder that became Anthony Johnson Jr., who started a few games as a rookie last year and wasn't a total liability. I guess based on that, it could be worse? Grade: D
- Round 6, pick #220: Isaiah McDuffie - special teams linebacker who got a lot of spot starts last season and was actually decent. I don't want him to start next season, but he's already overachieved. Grade: B
- Round 7, pick #256: Kylin Hill - running back who looked promising in the preseason and then almost immediately blew out his knee and has been out of the league ever since. Grade: F

Overall grade: D

We didn't have any premium picks in 2021, and we didn't get any premium players either. Out of 9 picks, we arguably didn't even get any above-average players. Yeah, we got multiple starters out of this class, but look at the positions we're supposed to be drafting this week, and you'll see that these are the starters that we're actively trying to replace. If Stokes is able to regain his health/form then I'll bump this a full letter grade, but as it stands it's a rough one.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Kevino07 posted:

Chiefs - less picks and no first rounder after the Chiefs traded for Orlando Brown Jr. Not the best trade ever, but he was solid enough to be starting LT for a Super Bowl winning team.

Round 2: Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri - Became a starting LB and defensive leader on team nearly instantly. Will likely get a second contract. Scored a TD winning a Super Bowl - A

Round 2: Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma - All Pro level Center play from the jump. Will be the highest paid center in the league in a few months. A+

Round 4: Joshua Kaindoh, DE, Florida State - Picked up as a developmental pick as a former 5 star HS recruit. Ultimately never amounted to anything (only made 3 appearances) and washed out of the league. F

Round 5: Noah Gray, TE, Duke - Solid dependable TE2. B

Round 5: Cornell Powell, WR, Clemson - Never cracked the WR rotation, but stuck around as a practice squad body to this day. D

Round 6: Trey Smith, G, Tennessee - Steal of the draft. Starter from day 1 as RG. Will get a big fat contract next year thanks to the Guard market exploding this year. A+

Notable UDFAs

Zayne Anderson, LB, BYU - Special Teamer, who spent a couple of years oscillating between practice squad and making appearances on special teams. Played 10 games for the Packers last year. C
Malik Herring, DE, Georgia - Was a UDFA because of a torn ACL at the Senior Bowl and spent his rookie season on the reserve/injury list. Made the 53 as a rotational DE for 2022 and 2023, and made a tackle in the Super Bowl vs the 49ers. A-

3 plus starters and a 2 couple of solid role players for a team that subsequently won 2 SBs. Somehow, this isn't Veach's best draft - A
This is the draft where Veach started putting it all together.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'll do the 49ers, why not.

Round 1, pick 3: Trey Lance, QB - The disaster this pick became is well documented. Maybe the kid has some talent, maybe he doesn't. I think he might, but either way in terms of what this pick did for the 49ers it is an F-, and if I could go lower than that I would. Traded three first round picks for a player who never really did anything. Grade: F -

Round 2, pick 48: Aaron Banks, OG - Not all that good but has played in most games since being drafted, which is a good quality on its own. Grade: C +

Round 3, pick 88: Trey Sermon, RB - They traded up for this guy and he only gave them 41 carries, and never looked particularly good. Hated this pick when it happened and still do. Only played a year for the 49ers and I believe is on the Colts now. Grade: F

Round 3, pick 102: Ambry Thomas, CB - Has a surprisingly good PFF grade, not sure what that's about, but overall has been disappointing. Creates a lot of penalties and has a propensity for REALLY bad games where it seems like other teams get everything they want off him. Still, he's played quite a bit and is still on the team, although I believe he is a backup. Grade: C +

Round 5, pick 155: Jaylon Moore, OL - I don't think this guy has been super good, but he has held the swing tackle position and has played quite a bit when injuries hit the O line. Good value in the 5th round I think. Grade: B -

Round 5, pick 172: Deommodore Lenoir, CB - I have my issues with his play sometimes, but he's started tons of games and played more than adequately overall, especially for a late fifth rounder. Grade: B +

Round 5, pick 180: Talanoa Hufanga, SAF - Big time hit, has played in the majority of games every season and has played really well. An enforcer near the line of scrimmage but he has range too, and has pulled in 7 INTs so far in his career. Grade: A

Round 6, pick 194: Elijah Mitchell, RB - Another hit, apart from occasional injuries Mitchell has played extremely well for the 49ers. Extremely fast, but also very solid and breaks tackles well. Honestly makes me wonder how no one else took this guy before the sixth round. A very worthy backup to Christian McCaffrey, and even exceeds him in certain areas. Immediately supplanted Trey Sermon as the starting RB. Grade: A +

Even with the Trey Lance disaster headlining the class, I'm going to have to give this draft a solid B +. They just got too many starters and contributors, especially late in the draft. In fact, the picks seemed to get better as rounds went by. Compared to the 2022 draft for the 49ers, which was horrendous, this draft was incredible and without it I doubt they go to as many playoffs and super bowls as they did.

Play fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 20, 2024

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

this is probably one of the most top heavy drafts ever because of the covid red shirt year

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Thankfully, this was the final year of Dave Gettleman and Joe Judge...

New York Football Giants

1st Round, Pick 20: WR Kadarius Toney: :lol:

So... he started off hurt in camp, didn't do much early in the season. Then, he had a decent game against the Saints in a win, and was putting up good numbers in a game the team was losing badly to the Cowboys before getting ejected for trying to punch some DB. After that he mostly disappeared due to injuries and horrible offense. The next season, he hurt his hamstring early in the season, missed a bunch of games, and got traded to Kansas City, where he cleared the extremely low bar of actually doing a few things before making a few big plays in Super Bowl LVII, and then having his hands turn to stone this past season and becoming a meme. For the Giants, he only appeared in 12 games, missed another 12 due to injuries, and never scored a TD. He got swapped for a 3rd and a 6th less than 18 months after being drafts. Woof.
Grade: F The rest of the 1st round that year was pretty crap, and the early 2nd isn't much better... Still, they could have done something...

2nd Round, Pick 50: LB Azeez Ojulari: As a rookie, he played well, setting the franchise rookie record with 8 sacks (Sacks weren't an official stat in Lawrence Taylor's rookie season, but he had 9.5 then) to lead the team in that category and being a bright spot there. He played all 17 games as a rookie, but just 18 over the last two seasons, and totaled 8 sacks there. Changes in defensive schemes have seen him play OLB and DE at times, but needs to hopefully get healthy again to see what he can do...
Grade: C- The Giants have needed offensive line help for over a decade, and Creed Humphrey went 13 picks later.

3rd Round, Pick 71: DB Aaron Robinson: I had no memory of this guy, which isn't good for a 3rd round pick. Appeared in 9 games as a rookie as a depth DB, where he was unremarkable. The next year he made it two games before missing time, first to have his appendix removed, then a knee injury which also cost him all of 2023. At this point, injury bust.
Grade: F Better choice: WR Nico Collins went later in the 3rd.

4th Round, Pick 116: LB Elerson Smith: Hey, another guy I have no memory of! Great drafting, Gettleman! Played in a total of 13 games over two seasons, mostly on special teams. Never had a sack, made like 3 tackles, and also had like 3 stints on IR. Got released prior to last season, which he spent on the Jets and Raiders practice squads. 4th round picks are kinda meh, but you'd hope to get something out of them.
Grade: F Amon-Ra St. Brown went 4 picks earlier, and trading around in the 4th is nothing.

6th Round, Pick 196: RB Gary Brightwell: Mostly a special teams guy, he had a few carries in 2022 as RB3 behind Saquon Barkley and Matt Breida, plus Daniel Jones ran a lot. He was unremarkable. Last season, he hurt his hamstring and went on IR after 7 games. 6th round RBs are expected to be replaceable depth and do special teams, and that's what he's done, so I can't complain.
Grade: C- Late 6th round shot in the dark, of which they had two that year.

6th Round, Pick 201: DB Rodarius Williams: Tore his ACL after 5 games as a rookie. Appeared in 3 games the next year, but did pick off Dak! Got cut, spent a bit on the Tampa practice squad, but that's it. Gets a positive grade solely for a pick against Dallas.
Grade: C- Late 6th, and while there are some names I at least recognize that year, nobody huge.

Overall Grade: F - Horrible draft by a horrible GM for a team with a horrible coach. Most of these guys spent more time on IR than on the field.

The Giants went 4-13, Gettleman "retired" and Joe Judge was thankfully, mercifully fired. Let us never speak of them again.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I'm surprised that the Giants and Edit: Titans may have had a worse draft than the Patriots that year. I knew ours was bad but at least we got a couple of players.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 21, 2024

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
2021 Seahawks:

Seattle had 3 picks because we traded a bunch away, most famously our 1st round pick for Jamal Adams (we also traded our first in 2020), anyway:

Round 2, pick 56 - Dee Eskridge, WR: got concussed on his first received catch and pretty much was never the same. Missed a bunch of time, and more or less both Russ and Geno had no trust in throwing to him so he basically just became a 4th receiver. Had limited success as a return guy but that was it. His failure basically forced the pick of Jaxon Smith-Njigba. Grade: F

Round 4 Pick 137 - Tre Brown, CB: barely played first 2 seasons but got a lot of time as a nickel back last season and finally started to shine. He will probably continue that for one more season and go elsewhere. Grade: B

6th round, 208th - Stone Forsythe, OT: basically a depth OT, that's pretty much all he's been, playing in place of injured O-linemen. I guess that's fine for a 6th round pick. Grade: B-

Overall: F. Given all the picks were gone there wasn't much to expect here. Between that and Dee being a bust, this is probably the worst draft John Schneider and Pete Carroll had. It was also Russ' last season and more or less forced the rebuild the following season. Ah well.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Bills

Round 1, pick 30 - Gregory Rousseau, DE: Okay starter at a premium position. B

Round 2, pick 61 - Boogie Basham, DE/DT: Got packaged with a 7th rounder in exchange for a 6th rounder two years after being drafted. F

Round 3, pick 93 - Spencer Brown, OT: Started as a really raw prospect and was awful but in his third season rounded into a good starting RT. B+

Round 5, pick 161 - Tommy Doyle, OT: Started as a really raw prospect and has remained totally buried on the depth chart. I think he maybe sometimes comes in on heavy packages? I don't know. D

Round 6, pick 203 - Marquez Stevenson, WR: Didn't ever really do anything, lost his roster spot to, like, Andy Isabella or something. F

Round 6, pick 212 - Damar Hamlin, S: Not a very good safety but reasonable as a depth guy. Famously died and came back to life; still deemed less impressive than Joe Flacco playing well for like four or five games. C+

Round 6, pick 213 - Rachad Wildgoose, CB: Not sure, he got poached from waivers. D- I guess

Round 7, pick 236 - Jack Anderson, OL: Depth guy that's still with the team I guess. C

Overall grade: C-

Got a couple of good starters at some tough positions to fill. Otherwise, not really much to see here. Fairly poor draft class.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

Bills

Round 2, pick 61 - Boogie Basham, DE/DT: Got packaged with a 7th rounder in exchange for a 6th rounder two years after being drafted. F

Round 3, pick 93 - Spencer Brown, OT: Started as a really raw prospect and was awful but in his third season rounded into a good starting RT. B+

Round 5, pick 161 - Tommy Doyle, OT: Started as a really raw prospect and has remained totally buried on the depth chart. I think he maybe sometimes comes in on heavy packages? I don't know. D

Round 6, pick 203 - Marquez Stevenson, WR: Didn't ever really do anything, lost his roster spot to, like, Andy Isabella or something. F

Round 6, pick 212 - Damar Hamlin, S: Not a very good safety but reasonable as a depth guy. Famously died and came back to life; still deemed less impressive than Joe Flacco playing well for like four or five games. C+

Round 6, pick 213 - Rachad Wildgoose, CB: Not sure, he got poached from waivers. D- I guess

Round 7, pick 236 - Jack Anderson, OL: Depth guy that's still with the team I guess. C

Got a couple of good starters at some tough positions to fill. Otherwise, not really much to see here. Fairly poor draft class.
Yeah, Boogie Basham being a nothing player really kills the vibe, and no one other than Rousseau or Brown has shown much of anything. Even then, Rousseau is only a complimentary pass rusher, rather than a main attraction: a chronic issue with Bills Dline picks.

Also isn't Tommy Doyle the dude whose always hurt?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Anderson Koopa posted:

I'm surprised that the Giants and Texans may have had a worse draft than the Patriots that year. I knew ours was bad but at least we got a couple of players.

I'd argue the Patriots drafted worse than the Texans, primarily because New England had picks in the first two rounds unlike Houston.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Detroit Lions

Round 1, Pick 7 - Penei Sewell, OL, Oregon: When in doubt, take the best offensive lineman available. A 2x Pro Bowler and 1x All-Pro, Sewell should anchor the line for the next decade. Grade: A

Round 2, Pick 41 - Levi Onwuzurike, DE, Washington: Played in every game his rookie year, then missed all of '22 with a back injury, one that dated back to his time in college. A non-factor in '23, he'll more than likely be looking for a new home to try and continue his NFL career. Grade: D

Round 3, Pick 72 - Alim McNeill, DT, NC State: Played in every game his first two seasons, starting all of them his sophomore year. Missed four of the last five games last year due to injury. Solid but unspectacular, a potential candidate for upgrade in the draft. Grade: B-

Round 3, Pick 101 - Ifeatu Melifonwu, DB, Syracuse: Received sparring playing time his first two season, then played in every game last year but only started in six. A pretty whatever defender, it's more than likely that he'll be phased out with secondary the primary area of improvement for the upcoming draft. Grade: C-

Round 4, Pick 112 - Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR, USC: Praise the sun. St. Brown provided an explosive jolt the Lions desperately needed, becoming WR #1 and a favorite target of Jared Goff. A 2x Pro Bowler and 1x All-Pro, the Lions offense doesn't work without him. Grade: A+

Round 4, Pick 113 - Derrick Barnes, ILB, Purdue: Selected by the Panthers and then traded to the Browns and then to the Lions. Made a leap last season and is now the starter in the middle of the field. Cannot complain, especially for a middle rounder traded twice before taking a snap. Grade: B+

Round 7, Pick 257 - Jermar Jefferson, RB, Oregon State: Part of the Barnes trade, played in seven games his rookie year but has been a practice squad player for most of his time. That he played puts him above most 7th rounders, but he's just a guy. Grade: D+

Grade: A The biggest reason for the Lions going from laughing stock to playoff winner has been draft success. Having Sewell fall to them up top was a godsend, as was finding contributors in the middle of the draft. Getting starters on B2B picks in the middle of the 4th, especially with one being a Pro Bowler, is a commendation to a team's front office. The foundation for the '23 playoff run was laid here, it's now a matter of trying to continue on the success.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

I'd argue the Patriots drafted worse than the Texans, primarily because New England had picks in the first two rounds unlike Houston.

I meant the Titans, apologies.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

MN Vikings

1:23 (Traded NYJ 1:14 for 1:23 & 2 3rd Round Picks) Christian Darrisaw LT - A+
After the Chargers took Slater 1 pick before their selection they traded back and ended up drafting the person they almost took at 14. Darrisaw has been great at LT and has All-Pro upside going forward.

3:66 Kellen Mond QB - F
When the season was near over in 2021, someone asked if Mond would start to see what he could do in live action, Zimmer famously said, "No. I see him every day in practice." Zimmer took heat for this, but he was right. Outside of deep outs Mond looked bad and is bad and was cut before the start of the 2022 Season. He then signed with the Browns, was cut, resigned, cut signed to the PS then cut. Recently signed with New Orleans.

3:78 Chazz Surrat ILB - F
Switched from QB to ILB in college, there was talk of having raw instincts even if he was raw due to his position switch. Cut before the start of the 2022 Season. Currently on the Jets PS.

3:86: Wyatt Davis iOL - F
An iOL from Ohio. He was bad bad during his time in MIN. He was cut before the start of the 2022 Season, signed with NYG, then New Orleans, then the Cardinals, then the Giants again.

3:90 Patrick Jones II DE - C
Rotational Depth at DE. Still on the team though!

4:119 Kene Nwangnu RB - A
Nothing too flashy at RB, but has been a dynamite player on kick returns, with 3 TDs so far in his career and a 2nd Team All Pro in 2022.

4:125 Camryn Bynum S - A
Led the league in tackles by a Safety in 2023. Not a crazy world beater, but finding a solid starter in round 4 is a A in my book.

4:134 Janarius Robinson DE - F
Cut before the start of the 2022 season.

5:157 Ihmir Smith-Marsette WR - D?
Has had an interesting career. Was cut when the Vikings traded for Jalen Reagor, was signed by KCs practice squad, won a SB with them, then got traded to Carolina. Was a gadget player catching 10 passes, but rushing 8 times for 74 yards and a TD

5:128 Zach Davidson TE - F
Cut before 2022 season,.

6:199 Jaylen Twyman DE - F
Cut before the 2022 season.

Spielman's last draft was all over the place. 1 great player, 1 solid player, 1 great special teams player then players who didnt last to year 2.

Edit: Also, MIN didnt have a 2nd round pick because they traded for Yannick Ngakoue, then got a 3rd back when they traded him to Baltimore. Just baffling turn of events.

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 22, 2024

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Carolina Panthers

CB- Jaycee Horn - 1st round, 8th overall
Good Corner, has been great in the games he's played. Problem is he's played about 20 games in the past 3 seasons and you can't really bank on a cornerback who's averaging less than half a season every year actually making the field.

While it would be nice if he could put together a 17 game season and we could get his 5th year relatively cheap, I don't see it happening. Will probably be let walk because he can't stay healthy and he'll probably go on to never miss another game playing for someone else. Notably we could have had Rashawn Slater but Rhule thought he was a guard, we could have also had Surtain who went with the next pick - who's been healthy his whole career or Micah Parsons. The injuries have been relatively random so it's hard to fault the Panthers too much here because he's good when he's on the field but... gently caress.

WR -Terrace Marshall Jnr - 2nd round, 59th overall

Made sense at the time, big bodied receiver to play opposite DJ Moore, turns out the dude's just an rear end in a top hat who hates being in Carolina and can't put anything of note on the field. Slow, gives up on routes, doesn't give a gently caress about fighting for the ball, routinely gives away processing penalties. Just useless. People pissed and moaned about Bryce being the issue for some reason last year, but he's always been useless and he routinely short stopped and short armed catches last year. I think he gets cut before the season begins unless he falls in love with Canales and buys into not being a useless rear end in a top hat.

OG Brady Christensen - 3rd Round 70th overall

A really good player who probably would have been developed by a more competent franchise into a starting LT or LG by now. I think he eventually finds his way to the starting LT spot in Carolina, but for now the team's plan seems to be sticking with Ikwonu and a zone scheme. Will be the first cab off the rank in terms of backing up. Has short arms but he's powerful and a bit of a dancing bear. His injury last year has probably really hurt his career because the team's overhauled the interior for more mobile type guys and he was taken to be a power running guard.

TE Tommy Tremble - 3rd Round, 83rd overall
I like Tommy Tremble but he's just an accessory piece, who profiles as a really good 2nd or 3rd TE but won't ever really be a starter. One of those guys who's probably quite valuable because he can kind of do it all, but does nothing overly well. Has shown flashes at times of receiving and route running ability but again, the offensive coaching staff changes has probably hindered his development. At least he's got some dawg in him and seems to give a poo poo.

RB Chuba Hubbard - 4th Round, 126th overall
Presumptive starting RB, nothing special but he has OK shift, has ok hands, can pass pro a little bit. He's just a running back but he at least out performed Miles Sanders. I expect Morgan to get another running back this draft and I expect he'll end up splitting carries. Doesn't offer much in the short yardage which means that with a small QB they need someone to tote a tough 2 yard carry and there's no one on the roster rn. Does sometimes seem to just close his eyes and run into the back of a guard but he can pop one too.

The rest:
DT Daviyon Nixon - 5th Round, 158th overall, Iowa

CB Keith Taylor - 5th Round, 166th overall, Washington

G Deonte Brown - 6th Round, 193rd overall, Alabama

WR Shi Smith - 6th Round, 204th overall, South Carolina

LS Thomas Fletcher - 6th Round, 222nd overall, Alabama

DT Phil Hoskins - 7th Round, 232nd overall, Kentucky

This is the kind of draft class Carolina just had too many of, over the past decade or so. Just no mid round and late guys that stick. High picks that for whatever reason just don't contribute like they should have and no real discernible value from the 2nd and 3rd rounders. Where most teams find their glue type players the Panthers just haven't. Jaycee is probably good enough on his best day to be an all pro but you're never going to be much when you can't piece more than 4 games together in a season. The WR they picked has been a bust, the guard and tight end they picked up in the third profile as career backups and there's a bunch of assholes who are selling insurance or on futures contracts around the league on practice squads.

gently caress you Fitterer - first draft class and it was poo poo and nothing he ever did got better.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 22, 2024

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

fsif posted:

Bills

Boogie Basham is a great football name and now I'm sad that he didn't pan out.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Detroit Lions

Round 1, Pick 7 - Penei Sewell, OL, Oregon: When in doubt, take the best offensive lineman available. A 2x Pro Bowler and 1x All-Pro, Sewell should anchor the line for the next decade. Grade: A

Round 2, Pick 41 - Levi Onwuzurike, DE, Washington: Played in every game his rookie year, then missed all of '22 with a back injury, one that dated back to his time in college. A non-factor in '23, he'll more than likely be looking for a new home to try and continue his NFL career. Grade: D

Round 3, Pick 72 - Alim McNeill, DT, NC State: Played in every game his first two seasons, starting all of them his sophomore year. Missed four of the last five games last year due to injury. Solid but unspectacular, a potential candidate for upgrade in the draft. Grade: B-

Round 3, Pick 101 - Ifeatu Melifonwu, DB, Syracuse: Received sparring playing time his first two season, then played in every game last year but only started in six. A pretty whatever defender, it's more than likely that he'll be phased out with secondary the primary area of improvement for the upcoming draft. Grade: C-

Round 4, Pick 112 - Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR, USC: Praise the sun. St. Brown provided an explosive jolt the Lions desperately needed, becoming WR #1 and a favorite target of Jared Goff. A 2x Pro Bowler and 1x All-Pro, the Lions offense doesn't work without him. Grade: A+

Round 4, Pick 113 - Derrick Barnes, ILB, Purdue: Selected by the Panthers and then traded to the Browns and then to the Lions. Made a leap last season and is now the starter in the middle of the field. Cannot complain, especially for a middle rounder traded twice before taking a snap. Grade: B+

Round 7, Pick 257 - Jermar Jefferson, RB, Oregon State: Part of the Barnes trade, played in seven games his rookie year but has been a practice squad player for most of his time. That he played puts him above most 7th rounders, but he's just a guy. Grade: D+

Grade: A The biggest reason for the Lions going from laughing stock to playoff winner has been draft success. Having Sewell fall to them up top was a godsend, as was finding contributors in the middle of the draft. Getting starters on B2B picks in the middle of the 4th, especially with one being a Pro Bowler, is a commendation to a team's front office. The foundation for the '23 playoff run was laid here, it's now a matter of trying to continue on the success.

Hell yeah. Gonna be painful needing to pay both Sewell and St. Brown at the same time but this is a drat fine list of guys.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I would prefer not to remember the 2021 NFL Draft, thanks.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

no not participating in this thread. gently caress off.

Professor Funk posted:

I would prefer not to remember the 2021 NFL Draft, thanks.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The Bucs 2021 Draft Class:

R1:32 - OLB Joe Tryon-Shoyinka, Washington - Meh. Hasn't really developed as a pass rusher that he was drafted for. Gets pressure on occasion but rarely finishes the job. 5th year option was not picked up. C

R2:64 - QB Kyle Trask, Florida - Drafted to develop behind Brady. Was giving a chance to win the job last year but couldn't beat out Baker. This will probably be his last year backing up as he'll probably take a job somewhere else. F

R3:95 - OL Robert Hainsey, Notre Dame - Has been the starting Center the past couple years since Jensen had his career ending injury. The definition of mediocre and a guy they're trying to upgrade from this offseason. C

R4:129 - WR Jaelon Darden, North Texas - Small/undersized receiver who was pretty bad at returning kicks so the team moved on from him. F

R5:176 - LB KJ Britt, Auburn - Developed for a couple years but finally got a chance to start this year when they finally had enough of Devin White. Solid player who will likely be starting this year. Not a great athlete but is usually in the right spot. B

R7:251 - CB CJ Wilcox, BYU - Was cut first year. F

R7:259 - LB Grant Stuard, Houston - Special teams player who lasted one year. I think he's with the Colts. F

Overall one of Licht's weaker drafts but it was coming off a Super Bowl win. Still holding out hope that Tryon-Shoyinka can finally develop into a solid pass rusher this year.

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 22, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
1st round, 11th overall. Justin Fields, QB.
The Bears traded up to 11 and gave away: 2021 first-round pick (No. 20 WR Kadarius Toney) , 2021 fifth-round pick (No. 164 , Jamar Johnson) , 2022 first-round pick (No. 7, Evan Neal) 2022 fourth-round pick.
First , let's look at what the Giants drafted with all these picks: not very much, so no real issue there. What to say about Fields? Well, he gave a huge amount of hope to the fans, tons of excitement, and now will hopefully win a bunch of playoff games for the Steelers. There's essays I could write about him but it boils down to : We miss you Justin.
Grade: A for the pick, F for development, C average.

Then the Bears traded up again. Acquired #39 and #151 for 52 (JOK), 83 (Tommy Tremble) and 204 (Shi Smith).
2nd round, 39th overall. Teven Jenkins, Offensive Guard. Great player, the run game absolutely comes together whenever he's playing. Unfortunately, he's constantly hurt. Grade: B

5th round Larry Borom, OL. Middling lineman who played a ton, first at RT, because the Bears are so bad on the offensive line. Has one fewer start than Jenkins. Grade: A for finding this guy in the 5th.

6th round Khalil Herbert, Rb. Solid RB, gets 50 yards a game with some home run potential. Great 6th round pick. Grade : A

6th round Dazz Newsome, WR. Don't know that he did anything. Grade: Whatever, it's a 6th round pick
6th Round Thomas Graham CB Don't know that he did anything. Grade: Whatever, it's a 6th round pick
7th round Khyris Tonga, DT. Don't know that he did anything. Grade: Whatever, it's a 7th round pick

edit:
Tradeup grade: A++. Got a bunch of players who didn't end up great but were solid starters for 3 years. The 7 traded picks turned into nothing more than a good LB.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 22, 2024

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The Philadelphia Eagles

R1, Pick 10 - DeVonta Smith, WR: The Slim Reaper rules. There were injury concerns with DeVonta coming out of the draft on account of him being so skinny he's nearly 2D. IIRC he's only missed one game in the last three years. Made of rubber and snags balls nobody should be able to catch. A

R2, Pick 37 - Landon Dickerson, G: 2X pro bowler at guard. You don't hear his name much because there are other, bigger names on the Eagles offensive line. A

R3, Pick 73 - Milton Williams, DT: Exists and has stuck on the roster as depth. C

R4, Pick 123 - Zech McPhearson, DB: Depth guy/ST'er. Suffered a torn achilles in a 2023 preseason game and lost the entire season but wasn't looking like a game changer regardless. F

R5, Pick 150 - Kenneth Gainwell, RB: I'm not as high in Gainwell as others but he's fine as a change-of-pace back and can make plays in the right situations. Can't complain about a solid rotational back in the 5th. B

R6, Pick 189 - Marlon Tuipulotu, DT: Depth. Still on the roster. Has gotten a little more playing time every year but still just a backup. C

R6, Pick 191 - Tarron Jackson, DE: On the practice squid. D

R6, Pick 224 - JaCoby Stevens, LB/DB: Linebacker in college who shifted to safety in the NFL. Didn't do much and went back to college as a coach. F

R7, Pick 234 - Patrick Johnson, DE: Depth guy still on the roster. D

Overall Grade: B Two excellent starters, one platoon RB and a bunch of bench guys. It would have been nice to find at least one more useful player on the back end but it's great that they nailed the first two picks.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

fsif posted:

Bills

Overall the weakest draft of the current front-office and Basham is probably the worst pick by Beane for return-on-investment. He did little for the Giants post trade so doubt he will have a long career.

Rousseau has been much better against the run (which isn't to be sniffed at, considering how often good runs teams would embarrass the 2018-2020 Bills). His best spell was possibly when he got to line-up with the pre-injury Von Miller; if he was DE2 to a top five DE1, I think we'd be very happy. Doyle has basically missed two back-to-back seasons due to injuries. There was positive reports from last seasons training camp before he got injured — I hold out some hope that Kromer can turn him in to a useful OL depth.

Stevenson looked shaky in the five games he played but was battling turf toe and eventually got cut mid season.Having floated around a few practice squads, he's popped up in the UFL. He is doing alright for himself, claiming he's healthy for the first time. If the draft doesn't pan out, they might have to ask for him to come back...

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Broncos had a surprisingly solid draft in 2021, considering they've gone 20-31 since.

Round 1, pick 9: Patrick Surtain II, CB. The 9th pick is a high price, and Surtain is worth it. Not a total out-of-nowhere home run; it was a safe pick that turned out safe. A
Round 2, pick 35: Javonte Williams, RB. The Broncos traded up for this pick - 40 and 114 for 35 and 219. This is a great example of why spending early picks on running backs is a bad idea. I like Williams a lot as a dude - he is powerful and runs his rear end off, and early on he broke a ton of tackles. Then he tore his ACL in '22, wasn't quite the same in '23, and is on his last rookie contract year in '24. He's nothing to write home about in the passing game. Hard to argue they've gotten a high 2nd rounder's worth of value for him. C-
Round 3, pick 98: Quinn Meinerz, G. The Broncos traded the 76th pick for this pick and #105. Meinerz rocks. The Broncos' OL in '23 consisted of Bolles, McGlinchey, and Powers, all of which had big contracts; Cushenberry, who got a nice deal with the Titans this year, and Meinerz at RG. Meinerz outplayed them all in my view. He trucks people in the run game, is relied upon for short runs and sneaks, and pass blocks well also. In line for a huge contract if he can stay healthy in '24. A+
Round 3, pick 105: Baron Browning, LB. Browning converted to edge rusher, and has shown flashes; good but not a star, and he's started 8-9 games each of his 3 seasons. I'm guessing he'll get a low-end contract after his rookie deal is up. Not bad for a late 3rd rounder. B
Round 5, pick 152: Caden Sterns, S Sterns looked like he'd be a consistent starter last year, after a longstanding hip injury knocked him out after week 5 of 2022, but injured his knee in week 1 and was out for the year. This year he'll likely compete with fresh signing Brandon Jones for the starting role across from PJ Locke; if not for his injury history I doubt the Broncos would have signed Jones. How do you grade a likeable guy in a low draft position who gets hurt? C
Round 5, pick 164: Jamar Johnson, S The Broncos got this pick by trading down in the third round - 71 for 76 and 164. They spent #76 on Meinerz, so this pick is house money. Good thing too, because the Broncos cut him in training camp in 2022; he signed with an XFL team and was cut a month later, and signed with a USFL team and was cut a month later. D-
Round 6, pick 219: Seth Williams, WR Pocket change from the Javonte Williams pick trade. He was on the practice squad that year, got called up in week 17 and caught one pass for 34 yards. That is his career total; he was cut in 2022 and ended up on the Jaguars practice squad. You can't expect much from a 6th round wideout but it would have been nice if he could have been a gunner or something. C-
Round 7, pick 237: Kary Vincent Jr, CB I had forgotten about this guy, but apparently the Broncos traded him to the Eagles for a 2022 6th rounder (#206) midway through his rookie season. Profit! He passed through the XFL and is now a Toronto Argonaut. B+
Round 7, pick 239: Jonathon Cooper, DE Cooper started all 17 games last year and had 8.5 sacks, plus a touchdown. As good a value as you can hope for in the 7th round, Purdy notwithstanding. A
Round 7, pick 253: Marquiss Spencer, DE They had a third 7th rounder! Spencer spent a year on the Broncos practice squad, got called up for in week 17 alongside Seth Williams, had one tackle, then was cut the following year, ending up on the Jets practice squad. Extremely normal 7th round pick stuff. B

In short: the Broncos stood pat in the first round rather than trying to trade up for an overvalued quarterback, lost value when they traded up, and gained value when they traded down; they ended up with two stars, a solid starter, and a couple of marginal starters. Unfortunately they mostly struck out in the '19 and '20 drafts, and of course traded away most of their draft value in '22 and '23 for a cap albatross, so here we are.

solarjetman fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 23, 2024

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Looking back at the immediate reaction to the draft from TFF posters is interesting too. I grabbed a bunch of posts from the Draftermath thread.

No intent of bagging on anyone, I simply added a post to this series of quotes if it gave a poster's opinion on a team's draft choices (or lack thereof). Also a few posts made me laugh so they're in there too.

It's in order, so Night 1 comments to start, and it's into UDFA signings by the end.

seiferguy posted:

Seahawks didn't do anything tonight but we have Jamal Adams instead, so... nice.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

niners didn't gently caress up

pats got a dork

a neat cape posted:

The Chargers stayed put at 13 and Slater fell right into their laps. I am ecstatic.

Homestar Runner posted:

I just want to say that picking Patrick Surtain over Justin Fields screams of Elway because it is a decision made of epic fail

Hizawk posted:

The Lions had a great draft.

Definitely a good start to a new era.

A+.

https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/1387988804653441024?s=19

R.D. Mangles posted:

No sequence of events will ever be as funny as the bears taking trubs, glennon storm-bobbling out of the bears draft party, and the Tittiess Tweet surfacing in the span of like 30 minutes.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I feel like I'm doomed to watch a good defense get wasted by a bad QB for eternity

pmchem posted:

a mormon MAGA as QB in new york city / new jersey

he's not gonna last as starter through his rookie contract

R.D. Mangles posted:

thinking about mike glennon being in the Bears' Official Draft Party again

JT Jag posted:

I honestly don't know what to make of the Jaguars' second day. It feels like every single pick they made today is boom or bust.

At 33 they took Tyson Campbell, a super-athletic corner who doesn't really know how to track the ball. Even if that continues to be a problem he's already an NFL-caliber jam CB, and the Jaguars plan to run a press defense, so he'll be alright at least.

Walter Little is a potential top left tackle who was once forecasted to be a top-5 pick after a sensational display of pass blocking as a true freshman and sophomore... before he blew his knee out in 2019, and then opted because of Covid last year. As always with ACL injuries a pick like this is a lottery draw, but by most accounts he's fully healthy after all this time. Put up some great RAS agility scores. The question is more if his blocking technique is anywhere near NFL ready after so much time off.

Continuing that cherished Trent Baalke tradition of drafting ACL injury guys, Andre Cisco was considered the best safety in this class by a lot of people until he blew HIS knee out last October. The risk is even higher with him, I think: impossible to tell how well an ACL injury will heal when the player is still in rehab.

Three guys that could potentially all be first round values or could just as easily be total wastes of a pick. Heck yeah.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Broncos nailed Day 2. Still not sure if that makes up for the lack of QB in the first round*, but Lock/Bridgewater will have a very powerful and aggressive supporting cast at the very least.

*I firmly believe they would've grabbed Lance if the 49ers didn't. That's my reasoning for why they went Surtain.**

**I am also a homer idiot

e: Broncos got

Javonte Williams (RB), Quinn Meinerz (G), and Baron Browning (LB)

I see Williams and Meinerz as possible season starters with Browning being depth for now. Pretty drat good for Day 2.

a neat cape posted:

Chargers nailed their 2nd round pick with Asante Samuel Jr.

3rd round was interesting. Josh Palmer is intriguing, WR depth is always good.

Tre' McKitty.... Okay? By all accounts he's a good blocker, which we could use in the run game and pass protection.

I like it

kiimo posted:

I'm so bored with the Chiefs draft. But re-building an entire line is hard to do and not super sexy to watch. Creed Humphries is a total steal at center and lining him next to Thuney who is next to Orlando Brown Jr well Mahomes will have all day and that's never a bad thing unless you're on the other side.

Nick Bolton is slow, small and a concussion waiting to happen. He has great instincts I guess but also he's going to be a project. We just got one of those last draft with Gay Jr. I don't get it. Terrace Marshall, Dyami Brown and Josh Palmer were all right there so I guess...we're just not going to replace Sammy Watkins. Maybe we'll let Noted Dumbshit Mecole Hardman assume that role. lol God help us

Chris James 2 posted:

Random Ravens thoughts two days in from a semi-checked out fan who's just happy to have been to a parade and watches just for fun now :3:

Rashod Bateman: hell yeah
Odafe Oweh:

HELL YEAH. also went to my school soon after I left
Ben Cleveland: big guy, and I've been particularly fond of Clevelands since watching the Browns beat up the Steelers twice in a row, so the more Clevelands the merrier tbh
Brandon Stephens: never heard of him

Kevino07 posted:

I think I can talk myself into it. The Day 2 picks weren't picks for 2021, they were picks for the whole 2021-2025 period which makes sense considering with Mahomes, the Chiefs should not be operating on a "win now" structure. Nick Bolton means they can likely move on from Hitchens in 2022, and that saves $10+ million from the cap - that's enough for a splashy signing in free agency (one which will have a lot of players with everyone signing one year deals) or even 2/3 veterans to provide crucial depth.

If Humphrey develops, it's a bit of a no brainer really. The Left side of the OL, will be expensive for the next 2 or 3 years with Brown getting paid next year and Thuney at LG so the rest of the line needs to be cheaper and still good enough to keep Mahomes out of harms way. If Humphrey is a solid Center and Niang is a solid RT or RG, then that's big.

I'd have loved a WR or TE, but I think the logic is there's a lot of depth remaining in this WR class (Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, Tylan Wallace, St. Brown, Milne, Watkins, Jordan is a TE but one who would be a pass catching TE2), and any rookie is probably going to be the 3rd/4th target so someone should be available in the 4th or 5th round picks. I have to imagine the same logic applies for CBs too.

D-LINK posted:

Still not a fan of taking a RB in the first round, but Najee Harris is a dope human being. I really don't know what to make of this draft, it seems way more conservative than usual Steelers draft classes. They hit every position of need eventually, and Colbert stated last week they felt this draft was very deep at OL and EDGE, and that's pretty much exactly how they approached it, despite having glaring needs at OT and C. Seems like they had a pretty solid strategy according to their own views, and it appears to me that they simply took their highest rated player at a position of need in the order they'd predetermined. Best available RB in rd1, best TE on the board at their pick at #55, the C they graded highest and available in rd3, etc.

Overall, it was a very true to how the Steelers do things, so it's hard to be mad about it.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I have no idea who any of the late round guys are but they fit the athletic archetype that Paton is going for. I'm very happy with Day 1* and Day 2 so I'm grading the Broncos draft a solid B+.

*I've come around on Surtain. My gut is telling me they wanted Lance to sit behind Lock/Bridgewater for a year and when that didn't happen they went for the next best fit.

Eifert Posting posted:

There's no such thing as a sure thing but I really have a hard time seeing how he could not be good. Particularly if they keep them inside and don't try to force them at tackle I think he's going to be a stud. I haven't really looked at everybody's pics yet but while watching the draft I remember liking the Lions, Boys, Jets and the Texans.

ShakeZula posted:

I have mixed feelings about the Colts draft. I really like each of the first two picks in a vacuum, but I don't love them as a combination. Apparently Ballard secretly hated this OT class all along, so we still have a huge need there and one less way to potentially fill it. That being said, our 4th-rounder looks like someone who can contribute right away at TE, and the late-round safety, WR, and OL have potential to provide valuable depth. The Ehlinger pick was a bit of a head-scratcher, but I'm cool with a backup QB camp battle.

That 1-2 combination just left me with kind of a sour taste. It's a disappointing feeling to go into a draft that's deep with OT, have a glaring need at OT, and walk away with basically nothing at the position.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Ravens had a great draft where they got a day one starting caliber WR, the ultimate Boom Bust edge rusher, a very solid depth WR, then a bunch of high potential boom bust guys at positions of future need. Perfect draft considering the draft capital they had. Except for one small thing. They traded Orlando Brown last week and didn't draft any tackles. Not just none who could potentially replace him as a starter this season but none. That's pretty bold. We'll see what happens between Tyre Phillips and whatever mediocre RT they find in late free agency. As things stand I expect the Ravens offense to be really good across the board with the glaring exception of Right Tackle.

Oh, and they drafted a fullback because John Harbaugh's mom liked him.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The new Falcons regime is following the exact same draft plan as the last one:

- Get a great receiver in the first round
- Draft an undersized secondary player
- Throw in some defensive linemen that probably won't contribute
- Continue to ignore that the running back situation is bad
- Continue to ignore Matt Ryan is getting old and not even drafting a warm body to be there in case he turns into dust.

Kyle Pitts is awesome, but he ain't going to catch much if Atlanta can't set up the passing game or get their defense off the field.

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Jets got 4 likely starters on offense in their first 4 picks. Then they drafted like a half dozen linebacker/safety/slot corner hybrids in what appears to be a spray and pray strategy.

If even one hits and they get 5 starters from a draft then that’s a home run.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Sad that Atlanta went nuts and stole PItts from Miami but honestly the consolation prizes were all amazing, and Im happy with Waddle.

I'm concerned at the health concerns surrounding our top two picks which is always a scare but I appreciate Miami's drafting. They shocked me with Holland but folks that are much better at the draft than I am seem to all really like him, and Scott Pioli has been raving about Miami's 3rd round TE pick, Long. So hey, lots to be excited about.

Eifert Posting posted:

I like to have a immediate post draft reaction so I can pull it up on archives in a few years and laugh at it. Here goes:

First off: I love the two extra 4s from the second round trade. This roster needs depth and that's a great way to get it on the cheap.

1.5 Chase: I see him as a very safe pick. Should be a plug and play guy at the x and I think he is going to be immediately productive.

2.46 Carman: The inflection point of the draft class. I am skeptical he can contribute early and I'm afraid he'll get throw out there day one and be a liability. He has all the tools to be a terror in space if he can learn to play guard, but at the moment it's hard to be confident with the record the Bengals have developing linemen.

3.69 Ossai: I think this guy is a very safe pick as a rotational contributor. I like him in stunts, but I see his ceiling more as a high end rotational guy than a dedicated starter.

4.11 Sample: more of a tweener rush DT who can play end. It wouldn't surpise me if he becomes a dedicated 3 as he fills his body out. I don't see him as a + player but it wouldn't surprise me if he became an adequate starter.

4.122 Shelvin: Seems pretty clear the plan is to have him as a backup nose/1 behind Reader.

4.139 Smith: It's nice to have one pass blocking specialist in the class. I don't see him as a starter but he could be a Collins style swing tackle if he develops and stays healthy.

5.149 McPherson: Just don't try and put him on the practice squad plz.

6.190 Hill: very safe interior lineman. I love this pick as a short term backup to the interior line and it wouldn't be surprising to me if he gets a shot in a year or two due to injury and doesn't let himself get replaced.

6.202 Evans: Mixon can run routes and catch, but he's a liability blocking. Evans is a guy who will sink or swim with his blocking.

7:235 Hubert: He's got an uphill battle to secure a roster spot, I expect he's destined for the practice squad.

Theme: This is the coaching staff betting on themselves. They drafted by need, but selected toolsy guys. I think bad coaching staffs gamble on unfinished products on the offensive line and expect they'll be able to teach them the position. Particularly on the line they might have been better suited drafting guys like your Banks' and Browns' who already know and are comfortable with the position. If it works 2020 and 2021 could be similar to '10 and '11, opening a multi-year window. I don't have a ton of reason to have faith in this coaching staff so I'm not printing shirts just yet.

Bold predictions:
Chase stays healthy for 15-17 games, contends for rookie of the year but doesn't quite pull it out.
The defense is a mess because Lou attempts to scheme pressure and fails, teams feast on soft zones and missed assignments.

5-11 to 9-8, - a ton of shootouts, a flawed team that's fun to watch. Mike sees enough to keep Zac but forces Lou out. Burrow is less abused than last year but the offense has to scheme to avoid time in the pocket. Not sure how we stop the Ravens and Browns from running at will on us.

I feel like everyone did. The debate was always what should they do, not what would they do.
VVVVV

Diqnol posted:

I’m pretty happy with the Eagles draft. Our secondary will still be really bad but we get to develop a legit offensive situation this season for whatever QB we roll with next season. We gained ammo for next year too, so all in all a win. Our pickup of Gainwell in particular is exciting! I don’t know how to feel about the rest of our Day 3s but it was about as good a draft as could’ve been expected. Sorta surprised Howie pulled it off, really.

sean10mm posted:

I give the Patriots draft a 10/10 for not being full of contrarian bullshit like trading out of the first round and spending a 2md rounder on a small school's second best wide receiver.

Shockingly all those drafts that looked bad but nobody said anything because RINGZ actually ate poo poo, so it's thrilling to watch them do normal poo poo.

Carlosologist posted:

I really liked the Giants' draft. got a ton of future picks to continue to build the roster around Jones if he's worth anything or those picks can be packaged for the next disgruntled elite QB. Toney and Olujari will be good and exciting right away

Eifert Posting posted:

I think the grade on the Texans is unfair. Yeah they didn't have a lot of capital, and I'm not in love with the quarterback they took, but Nico Collins, Brevin Jordan, and Wallow will all be good. I bet you if the Ravens had their draft class they would have been rated a B by most folks.

All the teams with quarterbacks seem to be either inflated way above where they should be or deflated well below where they should be. I really like the Jets draft, though.

Borsche69 posted:

THere is no way Nico Collins is any good. That's insane.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Well, if we're going to post stupid grades and mocks, let's all laugh at a really really bad early mock

Some notes:

- There are absolutely not this many QBs I take in the 1st next year. Rattler is proooobably worthy of being a #1, but he's still got a to rein in some of his gunslinger tendencies--best velocity in the class. Howell is very talented and accurate but has some odd technical behaviors with his shoulder and feet, and the UNC offense is insanely limited in route trees and concepts which is going to skeeve some GMs immediately. Slovis plays a very similar system to Rattler but doesn't have quite the physical gifts--more of a Goff/Mayfield than a Kyler. If Desmond Ridder goes in round 1, I'm assuming Coronavirus has killed every single QB in division 1, because that dude is not accurate and has a baby arm. Malik Willis is a dude who has never actually put it together, but does have some crazy tools/air under his ball. If Howell is playing in a limited offense, Willis is playing in some Hugh Freeze high school bullshit and is going to look like a Jordan Love type prospect in the absolute best case scenario. It's a 2-3 QB class at the high end, with everyone else having some way bigger problems.

- There are absolutely a bunch of good WRs next year. Pickens/Olave/Wilson/Metchie/Ross are going to be a really really solid set of guys just off of who is guaranteed to be available next year. Putting Ross that high coming off of spine surgery with a new QB is amazingly dumb when Pickens is already a better player. Olave and Metchie probably are the next two guys off the board and are purer speed guys who give up some size relative to Pickens or Ross. Wilson's going to be loved for starting all over the place in college. I just can't fathom Ross above any of the other 4 right now.

- Pretty much every O-lineman listed is a project. Maybe Neal is the smallest project (lol), but there's no one on this list like a Sewell or Slater where people are marking their name in red for a year from now off of the full tape right now.

- This edge class also makes no sense. Thibodeaux is a no-poo poo top 5 potential guy, but pretty much every other edge looks like a speed rusher right now outside of like, maybe Karlaftis. Every other edge listed is a speed specialist, which seems cool, until you remember that guys like Harrison weren't even the best edge on their team (Tyreke Smith) and Bonitto benefits from being in a league where you can be a 235 pound pass rusher who will immediately get bodied in the NFL. If I'm guessing, Engbare probably is the most likely dude to rise, but this really reads like they're just trying to pick guys from teams that will probably be good.

- Mocking Leal to replace Danny Shelton is amazing. That's like 100 pound difference between the two, and Leal is emphatically not a nose. Next year's DT class probably has a lot of rush tackles and not nearly as many noses, so you're just...not likely to try to replace a nose early in a draft with no noses.

- Breece Hall will run about a 4.6 and is absolutely not a first round value.

- Not a single pure LB in the draft--other than an off-ball Bama tweener who looked good but was used heavily as a Fire zone player.

- Stingley is the best CB in years, but Elam is very very good too. Gardner is absolutely not CB3.

Just an absolute mess of a mock even by year early standards.

Amy Pole Her posted:

https://twitter.com/ckparrot/status/1389628143590313986

Enjoy your mere starters at guard when you could've gotten an automatic all pro in the 2nd

YOLOsubmarine posted:

My favorite part of the postdraft is everyone talking about the mid-to-late round steals they got and then 90% of them are never heard from again.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Eichenberg will be a bad pro at tackle. His arms aren't short they are too short. That lack of length means he has absolutely no wiggle room at all to recover. He has to have perfect hand placement, perfect footwork, perfect balance every single time. It's too much to overcome. Almost nobody does it.

Christensen is also not a tackle. Probably a center from what I've heard.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I was almost all correct.

Shame about McKitty

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

lol and lmao still at that kiimo Bolton take. An all time lovely take.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
I still believe in Brevin Jordan

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hizawk nailed it, good man.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

solarjetman posted:

The Broncos had a surprisingly solid draft in 2021, considering they've gone 20-31 since.

Round 1, pick 9: Patrick Surtain II, CB. The 9th pick is a high price, and Surtain is worth it. Not a total out-of-nowhere home run; it was a safe pick that turned out safe. A
Round 2, pick 35: Javonte Williams, RB. The Broncos traded up for this pick - 40 and 114 for 35 and 219. This is a great example of why spending early picks on running backs is a bad idea. I like Williams a lot as a dude - he is powerful and runs his rear end off, and early on he broke a ton of tackles. Then he tore his ACL in '22, wasn't quite the same in '23, and is on his last rookie contract year in '24. He's nothing to write home about in the passing game. Hard to argue they've gotten a high 2nd rounder's worth of value for him. C-
Round 3, pick 98: Quinn Meinerz, G. The Broncos traded the 76th pick for this pick and #105. Meinerz rocks. The Broncos' OL in '23 consisted of Bolles, McGlinchey, and Powers, all of which had big contracts; Cushenberry, who got a nice deal with the Titans this year, and Meinerz at RG. Meinerz outplayed them all in my view. He trucks people in the run game, is relied upon for short runs and sneaks, and pass blocks well also. In line for a huge contract if he can stay healthy in '24. A+
Round 3, pick 105: Baron Browning, LB. Browning converted to edge rusher, and has shown flashes; good but not a star, and he's started 8-9 games each of his 3 seasons. I'm guessing he'll get a low-end contract after his rookie deal is up. Not bad for a late 3rd rounder. B
Round 5, pick 152: Caden Sterns, S Sterns looked like he'd be a consistent starter last year, after a longstanding hip injury knocked him out after week 5 of 2022, but injured his knee in week 1 and was out for the year. This year he'll likely compete with fresh signing Brandon Jones for the starting role across from PJ Locke; if not for his injury history I doubt the Broncos would have signed Jones. How do you grade a likeable guy in a low draft position who gets hurt? C
Round 5, pick 164: Jamar Johnson, S The Broncos got this pick by trading down in the third round - 71 for 76 and 164. They spent #76 on Meinerz, so this pick is house money. Good thing too, because the Broncos cut him in training camp in 2022; he signed with an XFL team and was cut a month later, and signed with a USFL team and was cut a month later. D-
Round 6, pick 219: Seth Williams, WR Pocket change from the Javonte Williams pick trade. He was on the practice squad that year, got called up in week 17 and caught one pass for 34 yards. That is his career total; he was cut in 2022 and ended up on the Jaguars practice squad. You can't expect much from a 6th round wideout but it would have been nice if he could have been a gunner or something. C-
Round 7, pick 237: Kary Vincent Jr, CB I had forgotten about this guy, but apparently the Broncos traded him to the Eagles for a 2022 6th rounder (#206) midway through his rookie season. Profit! He passed through the XFL and is now a Toronto Argonaut. B+
Round 7, pick 239: Jonathon Cooper, DE Cooper started all 17 games last year and had 8.5 sacks, plus a touchdown. As good a value as you can hope for in the 7th round, Purdy notwithstanding. A
Round 7, pick 253: Marquiss Spencer, DE They had a third 7th rounder! Spencer spent a year on the Broncos practice squad, got called up for in week 17 alongside Seth Williams, had one tackle, then was cut the following year, ending up on the Jets practice squad. Extremely normal 7th round pick stuff. B

In short: the Broncos stood pat in the first round rather than trying to trade up for an overvalued quarterback, lost value when they traded up, and gained value when they traded down; they ended up with two stars, a solid starter, and a couple of marginal starters. Unfortunately they mostly struck out in the '19 and '20 drafts, and of course traded away most of their draft value in '22 and '23 for a cap albatross, so here we are.

This is a good recap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

kalensc posted:

Looking back at the immediate reaction to the draft from TFF posters is interesting too. I grabbed a bunch of posts from the Draftermath thread.

No intent of bagging on anyone, I simply added a post to this series of quotes if it gave a poster's opinion on a team's draft choices (or lack thereof). Also a few posts made me laugh so they're in there too.

It's in order, so Night 1 comments to start, and it's into UDFA signings by the end.

I did not remember dick riding Trey Lance so much :laffo: