Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Play posted:

Looks like they did pretty well sales wise, so yeah I'm happy to contribute in order to get this thing DONE

Yeah, same. I don't generally do EA stuff but this looked basically done with just tweaks and additional content needed. I'm happy checking out what they've got so far and coming back later when it's done. I haven't seen explicit sales numbers but peak concurrent players on Steam was like 36k which, for reference, is about what Hades got on release.

I see people in this thread and elsewhere complaining about the healing? What's the issue? Seems fine to me and I definitely prefer item based healing instead of estus mechanics. There's tons of healing items around so it's not like they're hard to come by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
I think I've done all the content sans ember stuff so I've got some impressions:

The stat system is really all there is to character customization, and honestly it feels a little thin. I'll admit this is me likely wanting more PoE or Diablo here, when what this game really is trying to be an isometric dark souls.

That being said, this game really leans hard on the (nearly?) exact same stats you would see in Dark Souls. Its just so similar - find a weapon with a move-set you like and pump that main stat, lean on a few focus skills if some are working for you.

On the healing thing - having 5 or 6 different healing items and only having one to equip is a pain. Its not that they are hard to come by, but they introduce an inventory nightmare. I love eating my last high HP restoration dumpling and getting an apple auto populated in that slot! Farming the mats for the most beneficial food is a different, also annoying issue.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I knew the EA version only has the first part of the story campaign, but I was a bit surprised by just how short that part is. This isn't exactly a complaint though, I knew the game is very Early Access going in. It just left me really hungry for more. I'm really loving the storytelling so far, the cutscenes are very engaging thanks to the gorgeous art, character designs, animation and voice acting. I'm particularly digging Madrigal Seline as a character, they really nailed this sort of quietly menacing vibe she's giving off.

I also dipped my toes into the Crucible but got completely shat on. I'll probably still putz around a bit farming gear and XP to give the crucible another go later, but for now, more story content is absolutely the #1 thing I'm looking forward to.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
So my willpower finally failed and I bought the game. I put 10+ hours in and I’m having a bunch of fun even though I normally don’t jive with Souls-likes. It’s very cool and I think it might be the first game of this type that I end up sticking with. I haven’t even died an unreasonable amount of times yet, although I’ve only done one real boss as yet.

One thing that’s a concern though… I’ve read in a couple of places, including a tweet from the studio director, that a progress wipe may be needed before the game eventually goes to 1.0 release.

https://twitter.com/thomasmahler/status/1784813530769666441

I don’t understand why they wouldn’t have been more upfront about this possibility in a game with so many lengthy time sinks and grinds. I’m not likely to do multiple replays, so I might have to shelve it until release. Grinding levels and building up your lodgings for hours just to start over feels bad, man.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

One of many risks of playing an early access build of a game imho

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I’ve played plenty of EA stuff and haven’t found that typical. I don’t begrudge them needing to do it. Just think they should have probably made that possibility clear before people start grinding for dozens of hours on a save they’ll end up losing.

I mean, they’re doing Twitch drops for resources and stuff. Everything I’ve seen implies your saves should have been safe.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It does suck, and it's getting lame as hell that it's a genuine novelty when a game releases on Steam and I get to say "oh it's, like, out out".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, they should have said something about a possible wipe in the EA section of the page, and should do so now for sure.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I don’t understand why they wouldn’t have been more upfront about this possibility in a game with so many lengthy time sinks and grinds. I’m not likely to do multiple replays, so I might have to shelve it until release. Grinding levels and building up your lodgings for hours just to start over feels bad, man.

Casuals don't get invested in their levels and lodgings, they play videogames for fun

It's very obvious that some of the systems are there to pad the EA playtime for people who like grinding and they're likely to be significantly changed for the final release (challenges/bounties, I'm looking at you) but gear progression as a whole feels compressed to fit the currently available content. I would *hope* they're doing wipes since this is the best time to get feedback and iterate on the (non-endgame) progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I was confused when I saw an announcement on Steam for Early Access Patch 1, like "didn't they already release several patches?" But it turns out, those were just hotfixes, and for these devs, a Patch is something a lot bigger.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1371980/view/4174350531684292499?l=english

Some highlights:

- Loads of performance improvements
- Vendors and Crafting Tables/Refineries can now access resources directly from storage
- :siren: Added custom key rebinding options for Keyboard