Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

I finally beat the Baron scenario. I think I'm done for now, at least until there's a content update. I feel like I did what I came to do in this version. 25 hours or so, pretty good for this early of an early release.

Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Working on that scenario myself, getting a little grindy building up enough influence and a large enough army. I can see where there's the blank spot that more game mechanics are intended to go here during this stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is it not possible to start in the Selbitz region? I’ve rerolled a bunch of times…

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
There is a size point where I stop understanding logistics. I have 6 months of food in my main hub, but 8-9 burgages are constantly complaining about food variety. I can put markets or granaries closer, but this end of town (which is only 200 people) just won't be happy.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I had that with firewood. For whatever reason, some dumb poo poo was walking around with the little snowflakes icon indicating he was cold (in July, no less). There was a stocked firewood stall 30m from his front door, but yet he's always cold. I think the moral of the story is that logistics are still very much EA.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Chump Farts posted:

There is a size point where I stop understanding logistics. I have 6 months of food in my main hub, but 8-9 burgages are constantly complaining about food variety. I can put markets or granaries closer, but this end of town (which is only 200 people) just won't be happy.

Do you have 6 months worth of equal amounts of a variety of food, or do you have 5 months of berries and a smattering of meat and eggs? If it’s the latter, the houses closest to the food stalls stocking the meat and eggs will have all the variety, and the ones further away will be complaining about living on raspberries for three meals a day. If you increase your stock of other foods that should fix it. Alternatively, you might not have enough families assigned to the granaries to run enough food stalls to supply everyone.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
gently caress me sideways the army that baron gets for the final territory is just flat out obscene. I've got four maxed retinues, two spear militia, one sword militia and I think he gets another two full units beyond me with some hinky poo poo like 36 unit retinues or something. I haven't seen a mercenary unit in like a year and I have close to 3,000 personal wealth just piling up that I can't use to get more units for the fight. Just not even fun at that point.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I cheesed the final fight by waiting until he claimed one of my territories then immediately counterclaiming all five of his remaining territories at once. The baron's main army fought me at the first battle site, and when it lost it didn't respawn for the second site where he only brought the single set of reinforcements, and for the other four territories he didn't even bring an army to contest (I hired some mercs to sit on the capture points), so I ended up having two normal battles instead of the one large battle at the end.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
One thing I kind of like about the current state of the game is that because nothing makes total sense, the small wins you get from figuring out minor things all feel like hard-won little victories in their own right, and I haven’t had this kind of feeling from a video game since like 1993. Every video game back then was like “You’re on your own now, GOOD LUCK!” And unless you bought the strategy guide or had some friends who played it, there was a lot you probably weren’t going to figure out easily.

I don’t enjoy knowing that 90% of the little victories we’re all having figuring this out together are simply because the game is buggy and incomplete, and are likely to be completely revamped at some point so why even bother now? I’d much prefer it be totally complete and then thrown at me without any instructions, at least with the implication that there’s a definite, complete, and sensible logic going on that its my job to sus out. Then again I knew it was Alpha when I bought it so I know there is no merit to my complaints whatsoever.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 5, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Holy crap, sheep breed at a pace that would make rabbits blush. I had about 20 before I took the breeding perk. A year or two later and now I have four hundred and sixty

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wafflecopper posted:

Holy crap, sheep breed at a pace that would make rabbits blush. I had about 20 before I took the breeding perk. A year or two later and now I have four hundred and sixty

How did you get the sheep out of the livestock trader and onto the sheep farm?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Wafflecopper posted:

That's bonkers. Might be the only way to get them to be useful fertilizers though. I bought 20 or 30 of them, built up fences around a dozen or more fields, and they moved in to one fallow field with a capacity of 50 or more that they didn't leave for two years even after it maxed out fertility. Don't see a way to manually herd them around even if I wanted to, so I guess sheep eternal is the only way to do it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MrYenko posted:

you need to have pasturage built.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Ran out of neutral territory to claim, the Barron did not appreciate me claiming one of his.

I won :black101:, at the cost of ~90% of my guys. It was mainly just merc archers left standing at the end.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This seems like a good idea. Does that include setting raider frequency to "frequent" instead of "medium"?

Yeah I turned it up to frequent, brigand camps to 5 max (and 5 initial), and the first raid within 2 years.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

bird food bathtub posted:

gently caress me sideways the army that baron gets for the final territory is just flat out obscene. I've got four maxed retinues, two spear militia, one sword militia and I think he gets another two full units beyond me with some hinky poo poo like 36 unit retinues or something. I haven't seen a mercenary unit in like a year and I have close to 3,000 personal wealth just piling up that I can't use to get more units for the fight. Just not even fun at that point.

Yeah you either need to have at least one unit of mercenaries permanently hired (meaning you are getting enough tax revenue from your towns to pay their 90-100s or whatever indefinitely) before you press claims on the baron's land. Otherwise he'll have them all hired, permanently, before you. Ideally you also want your militia fully equipped in helmets and mail armor, and your retinues fully in plate.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

you need to have pasturage built.

Yeah it's this. I have a bunch of fenced up farmland and they ran to it by themselves.

bird food bathtub posted:

That's bonkers. Might be the only way to get them to be useful fertilizers though. I bought 20 or 30 of them, built up fences around a dozen or more fields, and they moved in to one fallow field with a capacity of 50 or more that they didn't leave for two years even after it maxed out fertility. Don't see a way to manually herd them around even if I wanted to, so I guess sheep eternal is the only way to do it.

That's weird. Mine are automatically moving when crop rotation ticks over. It looks quite funny because I have a barley farm and a wheat farm some distance apart and there's a mass sheep migration between them since they seem to choose at random which fallow field to move to. On the other hand I haven't seen any noticeable effect on my fertility at all.

The sheep population explosion has also stopped and I have no idea why. I built and fenced more fields since the original boom but I'm still steady at 460 sheep.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah I turned it up to frequent, brigand camps to 5 max (and 5 initial), and the first raid within 2 years.

How often are raids at that level it makes it sound like you can expect multiple every year, but is that just a chance or a guarantee?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

This poo poo is fun, I find it tough to get finished year one with a good food surplus but just squeaked by this time and have 15 families so poo poo is looking up

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I will enjoy returning to this game in after one or two major updates (in 4 years)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Super looking forward to the middle-to-end game being filled out, there's a bunch of little pieces laying around that are looking like a good time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

On the other hand, this game was the loving perfect warm up, thematically, to my KC:D play-through before the sequel launches.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Now that you mention it, yes it is!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

On the other hand, this game was the loving perfect warm up, thematically, to my KC:D play-through before the sequel launches.

Just finished my replay, assuming you haven't played before I would recommend right off the bad using the unlimited saves mod, and you might want to have no weight limits to hand as well.

It's a game that really falls apart in the final third and you can tell they kept going a bit longer than they really should have when they got more kickstarter money than expected.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was just musing as I was playing manor lords the other day that it tends to naturally create patterns of settlement that remind me of KC:D

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Just finished my replay, assuming you haven't played before I would recommend right off the bad using the unlimited saves mod, and you might want to have no weight limits to hand as well.

It's a game that really falls apart in the final third and you can tell they kept going a bit longer than they really should have when they got more kickstarter money than expected.

I've played before, just never finished. Probably keep wandering off in that last bit. The saves thing doesn't bother me too much, it's really only an issue in the early game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've played before, just never finished. Probably keep wandering off in that last bit. The saves thing doesn't bother me too much, it's really only an issue in the early game.

The best bit was getting suddenly Brian Blessed because I had completely forgotten he has an appearance.

The main problem is that the story (which has some issues but overall I thought works well) tries to ramp up the stakes to small scale medieval battles in the final act, but the gameplay model absolutely cannot handle that and all the swordplay you've spend the game learning goes out of the window in favour of hacking into packed melees.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
This is why God invented warhammers.

*TONK*
<crumple>
*TONK*
<crumple>
*TONK*
<crumple>
*TONK*
<crumple>

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Chuck_D posted:

This is why God invented warhammers.

*TONK*
<crumple>
*TONK*
<crumple>
*TONK*
<crumple>
*TONK*
<crumple>

Thought I was in the Battletech thread for a second and, to be honest, still works over there.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Seems like traffic congestion around my storehouses and poo poo slow things down when I got one super store

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Alchenar posted:

have no weight limits to hand as well.

IMO part of the core game experience is walking sloooooooowly back to town with both Henry and his horse way past their weight limit with the first good loot you've gotten. After a couple of those runs you can just take the good stuff back to sell, but the first time you get a chance to put a 20x or 30x multiplier on your current money, you spend the time to get it all.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mllaneza posted:

IMO part of the core game experience is walking sloooooooowly back to town with both Henry and his horse way past their weight limit with the first good loot you've gotten. After a couple of those runs you can just take the good stuff back to sell, but the first time you get a chance to put a 20x or 30x multiplier on your current money, you spend the time to get it all.

Oh, that reminds me, Richer Merchants.

I also enjoyed that experience the first time around of Henry gradually patching together an armour set from the foes he's defeated and only actually being able to carry... well, what a dude can actually carry. But that poo poo gets old fast.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Oh, that reminds me, Richer Merchants.

I also enjoyed that experience the first time around of Henry gradually patching together an armour set from the foes he's defeated and only actually being able to carry... well, what a dude can actually carry. But that poo poo gets old fast.

Psh, patching together early game armor?

Like the second thing I do is go to Sir Hanush's house at night time and mug the guard that stands outside his room, the one where you steal the book from in that one quest. The other guards have lovely sight line on that and you can knock him out, steal all his poo poo, and walk off pretty easily. Congrats, you have solid mid-tier armor and a decent mace potentially before you even do your combat training to learn how to parry.

But yeah, over all I do love being a medieval murder hobo and wearing a grab bag of other people's crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I skipped the Monetary quest chain entirely by lock picking and sneaking in to kill the guy.

gently caress that ridiculous speed bump of a mandatory main quest, who ever thought that was a good idea