Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Grimey Drawer

WTF is this game?

Well, Manor Lords is currently the most wish-listed game on Steam. It's a medieval city-builder with a mix of worker placement mechanics, economic depth and impressive, immersive visuals.

So what? Aren't there like 500 city builders out there?

Fair point, but Manor Lords offers a bit of a twist. In addition to the city building and economic aspects of the game, there is also a focus on real time mass combat- something that is lacking from most comparable titles.

Additionally, this game is largely the work of one developer over the course of about 7 years. The game is set to release into Early Access on 4/26/2024.

Is there multiplayer? Currently no, but the developer has signaled that they would be open to adding it later in dev.

How can I play it? The game releases on steam early access 4/262024 so you'll be able to purchase directly, or you can also access the game on Xbox game pass. A common practice is to get the free / $1 month game pass and use that to try the game, and plan to cancel prior to the first $10 monthly payment (or you can keep game pass, a lot of goons swear by it).

There is a good amount of hype around the title as it offers some genre-bending gameplay that strategy fans have been clamoring for ever since the medieval city building niche appeared on the scene.

For some preview media and early reviews, check out the following:

The Official Gameplay Preview

Worthabuy's Early Access Review

IGN Early Access Review

Fair Warning: A common refrain from those who have access to the EA build is that it is still in an early stage of development. Please only consider purchasing if you're ok with an incomplete game.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm keeping an eye on this, I'm normally not into fiddly city builders, but I absolutely love games like Bannerlord, where you get to lead your army and smash them into other armies. Being able to build up my forces would motivate me to get good at the city-building part. Let's see what the reviews say.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not looking for something that WILL REVOLUTIONIZE GAMING but rather a chill city builder like the dev actually described it. I tried the demo in Nextfest fall 2022 and I was impressed. I don't usually play a lot of city builders either but something about watching your little guys and gals run around and make the village grow just clicked. Hoping it won't be incredibly difficult to have at least somewhat successful village time or require terrible micro management.

Any info yet on the price tag?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Come play with Ma, N'orlords

That's what I got, god bless

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 25, 2024

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

TeaJay posted:

Any info yet on the price tag?

Just that it won’t be announced before launch but should be sort of mid-priced, and will have a EA launch discount.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Day one PC gamepass for something I would have definitely bought, very nice!

I'll be interested to see a roadmap for the future, it seems like some of the early access streamers ran through all of the current content in 80-150 hours. Seems like the kind of game I'll run through early and shelf for several years while they continue development.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I'm just annoyed that streamers have been playing this for 3 weeks now and for some reason I still can't buy it!

Let me give you my :10bux: developer person!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Day one PC gamepass for something I would have definitely bought, very nice!

Yeah I'm stoked for this but going to be playing on gamepass. If people are on the fence about it you could always sub for a month of GP and cancel right away then play your fill for that month.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

Yeah I'm stoked for this but going to be playing on gamepass. If people are on the fence about it you could always sub for a month of GP and cancel right away then play your fill for that month.

Good call out. I will add this to the OP.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I hope this goes real deep on modeling peasant economies

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

From what I've seen of streams, the city-building portion borrows a lot of stuff from Ostriv, especially regarding house plots being productive if you build them nice and large and intensive production chains. Looking forward to seeing what a more polished version looks like.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Game is live. $40 based, 25% off to $30 for a couple weeks. Seems very fair.

Solid regional pricing, too. Very well done by HH, I think. This game is going to be massive.

Anno fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 26, 2024

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Grimey Drawer
This guy is going to be a multimillionaire in the span of an hour or two lol

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Anno posted:

Game is live. $40 based, 25% off to $30 for a couple weeks. Seems very fair.

It's honestly less than I expected, I was prepared to fork out 40€ for it.

Also I'm prepared for years of EA, just be prepared for angry people saying WHAT THIS EARLY ACCESS GAME IS UNFINISHED!!1

e: lol Steam is totally jammed, I couldn't make a purchase. Better to wait a bit.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 26, 2024

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This is free on Gamepass PC too, for those who have it, it downloads via the microsoft store when you click 'download free trial'

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This guy is going to be a multimillionaire in the span of an hour or two lol

Yep, ontop of the however many millions Microsoft gave him for it to be on gamepass day 1

It has just cracked the top 15 most played games in under an hour of launch of steam, with people having trouble to check out when buying the game and plenty of people still downloading it. This will be a mega hit for the dev. Hopefully he founds a small studio to help complete the game over the next few years, like Factorio did.

https://steamdb.info/app/1363080/charts/

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 26, 2024

Anno
May 10, 2017

TeaJay posted:

It's honestly less than I expected, I was prepared to fork out 40€ for it.

Also I'm prepared for years of EA, just be prepared for angry people saying WHAT THIS EARLY ACCESS GAME IS UNFINISHED!!1

e: lol Steam is totally jammed, I couldn't make a purchase. Better to wait a bit.

They’ve done a solid job of setting expectations imo. Like I’m sure there will still be some of that but they’ve done something to mitigate it at least.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Jammed in my purchase after a time. Won't be playing myself but sent it as a birthday present to my partner. Excited to see how it plays.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

may as well try it since i've got gamepass but why/how did it become the most wish listed game? the preview video doesnt make the battles look like much

Anno
May 10, 2017

From what I’ve read at least people generally seem more hyped for the immersive medieval building/atmosphere than it being a new Total War or whatever. Though I think that’ll end up being a nice differentiator vs. some other games like this.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
IMO it's that:
- People like city builders, and this looks like a cool one, at least to people who want to make something that looks like an authentic medieval village.

- People like Total War style battles, and many often dream about mixing Total War style battles with other games. See how many people want Total War battles in Paradox games, for example.

Time will tell if the game holds up to the promise.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I want Banished but medieval so I hope this satisfies that itch

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think it's the blending of genres that's responsible for most of the hype. That and the game has a good look to it. The buildings have variation so the villages appear organic and authentic rather than cookie cutter grid style.

Anno
May 10, 2017

George H.W. oval office posted:

I want Banished but medieval so I hope this satisfies that itch

I imagine it would. But also Farthest Frontier is very good.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to try this out, the YouTube people showing it off this past week have all made it look really neat if a perhaps a bit lacking in content currently.

I really like the idea that your army is also your working population and losing soldiers can hurt your economy/industries.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I'm enjoying it so far. What I'm currently struggling with is how to upgrade my burg plots.

It says I need 4 timber, but I have 30+ timber. So... what do?

Edit: Also, where do I see my regional wealth?

Edit 2: I'm an idiot. Regional wealth is on the top bar to the left of the horseshoe icon.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 26, 2024

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Chuck_D posted:

I'm enjoying it so far. What I'm currently struggling with is how to upgrade my burg plots.

It says I need 4 timber, but I have 30+ timber. So... what do?

Edit: Also, where do I see my regional wealth?

Edit 2: I'm an idiot. Regional wealth is on the top bar to the left of the horseshoe icon.

You're missing a Market Supply requirement, at a glance it's clothing - your market needs to have either Linen, Leather or Yarn.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

canepazzo posted:

You're missing a Market Supply requirement, at a glance it's clothing - your market needs to have either Linen, Leather or Yarn.

Ah ha, that makes sense. Thank you.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So workplaces are filled by families, but what difference does it make how big a family is? What triggers the "family members joined an existing family", and what does it do?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

canepazzo posted:

So workplaces are filled by families, but what difference does it make how big a family is? What triggers the "family members joined an existing family", and what does it do?

A family works one single job as a unit so the more members, the more/quicker that job gets done I think? Since everything is moved around and getting done by actual people it should always be beneficial to have full families (which seems to be 3 members max?), as far as what triggers that it might be approval which affects pop growth in general

This game looks incredible and the fact you can almost seamlessly zoom from bird’s eye map to walking on the streets should be mandatory for city builders.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I haven’t played loads yet, but so far I’m very impressed. The learning curve seems manageable and it looks great. There are bugs, but that’s what Early Access is for so I’m fine and I’ll do my diligence in reporting them.
Price is good. I’m excited to put more time in once the kid is in bed!

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I sunk a few hours into this totally blind and I'm very surprised it's a solo dev with some outsourcing, it feels very polished even though it is obviously incomplete.

The main marks of "early access" at this point are that like 2/3 of the tech tree is not implemented, and the introduction experience makes almost no effort to teach anything, so you have to be willing to figure it out. There is a giant ? help button that initially seems like a big instruction manual but when you go to look up how something works it's actually near worthless and most of the entries are no more helpful than a dictionary definition or the most generic high level summary of what a thing is.

I am more familiar with Factorio and Satisfactory than city builders so I am personally seeing a lot of Factory sim and perhaps Dwarf Fortress/Rimworld DNA, especially related to logistics and eventually moving resources between territories.

I intend to play more!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
This seems like it will be a great game eventually, but it definitely seems like a very Early Access game, I'm probably just gonna let it sit for a few months or so.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I agree with all of the above after about 4 hrs of play yesterday. The core of the game has great potential and it's a lot of fun as it stands now, but it's definitely in EA.

I set my game to the easiest level so I could learn the mechanics without getting stomped by some other army or something. Even so, I ran out of food within about 5 game years. With your only food sources being finite resources, you end up getting stuck in a position where you have to import food and that's crazy expensive even with some of the tech perks.

I had a rich berry deposit and wild animals near my starting point but the berries apparently were over harvested and the whole deposit disappeared. Likewise, even though I kept my development away from the animals, they migrated halfway across my region and were essentially inaccessible. So, my little town more or less collapsed before I could build enough prestige to buy the next region over and pillage it for food.

So, yeah, super fun and really pretty. I'll probably set it aside for a bit as well, but I'm looking forward to watching it mature.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Food sources being finite sounds odd, can't you plow fields or anything like that?

Gonna give a spin myself today, easiest difficulty sounds like fine to learn the game.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Chuck_D posted:

I set my game to the easiest level so I could learn the mechanics without getting stomped by some other army or something. Even so, I ran out of food within about 5 game years. With your only food sources being finite resources, you end up getting stuck in a position where you have to import food and that's crazy expensive even with some of the tech perks.

I had a rich berry deposit and wild animals near my starting point but the berries apparently were over harvested and the whole deposit disappeared. Likewise, even though I kept my development away from the animals, they migrated halfway across my region and were essentially inaccessible. So, my little town more or less collapsed before I could build enough prestige to buy the next region over and pillage it for food.

There are farms, livestock and the houses can build vegetable gardens and chicken coops.

I'm enjoying the game so far. It's relaxing just watching my peasants go about their day

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fields need to be bigger than you imagine to actually be able to feed your population. No, bigger than that. MORE FIELDS FOR THE WHEAT GODS

also some of the perks should make it easier to get food from non-field sources, like trapping in the left-hand development tree, but with dev points being pretty scarce you're probably better off grabbing deep mining if you have a rich iron mine in your territory because infinite iron is lucrative indeed, even just selling iron slabs without even bothering to make armor/weapons will make you enough money to just be able to import whatever food you might need.

Don't sleep on vegetable gardens, if you make like 3-4 big houses with a big backyard with veggies you'll be swimming in those for a good while

Finished my first run in "peaceful" mode and not having bandits to beat up for money meant I was always strapped for cash until the aforementioned deep mining "trick", after that and assigning 4 families to the trade post I'm regularly around 300-500 regional wealth just exporting iron slabs and planks, despite liberally importing barley, linen, dyes and wheat (and yeah if you plan to do any trading at all, which is pretty darn useful, the 2 perks in the right-side development tree to only pay 25bux for any trade route and reducing import prices by 10bux are basically mandatory)

e: can you actually butcher livestock? I only bothered setting up a sheep pasture + sheep farm for the wool, never even tried to see if I could get pigs and a butcher or something... that would be pretty cool since the ability to produce meat in any significant amount seems to be super rare past the early game

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Do hitching posts actually need families assigned? Seems to me they are used by whoever needs them - builders, loggers etc. What is the point of assigning a family?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I feel like it was a huge mistake on my part to "warm up" for the launch of Manor Lords by playing Farthest Frontier for a week. I like what we're seeing so far, but obviously he still has a bunch of work to do so I'm hopeful. I'm actually ok with this being far less "crunchy" than FF, but I would like to see a worker placement panel like most Banished clones have so I don't have to click each building to see what has a family assigned or not.

Also Influence gain seems really really slow unless I'm totally missing something. On my third restart I'm doing the "capture the two zones from the dude up north" scenario and I can't attack brigand camps in the areas I don't control, but he can? And he's quickly scooping up all the neighboring zones while I'm sitting at 272 Influence.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I fully admit I over expanded and dug myself into a hole I couldn't get out of even with veg and chicken patches everywhere. It didn't help that I was in an area with utter poo poo fertility, so my wheat fields didn't produce a thing.

I started a new game and am being much more deliberate with my expansion strategy. So far it's going well, but I'm keeping a very close eye on my food stocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm pretty impressed by this, but i definitely get outpaced by my neighbors real fast.

What is more efficient for location based gathering points like berry farms and hunting posts? To be near the town, or near the gathering point? I assume that they should be near town so you carry one thing back and then butcher it near the granary, but I am not really sure. I thought villagers moved large amounts of things by cart but I see villagers moving meat and berries by hand.