Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakelika
May 13, 2005

Work It! Thats Right! Awwww Yeah!
I ordered my BJPW stuff from IVPVideos, I also got all of their Hayabusa stuff, IWA King Of The Death Match 95, and Best of Explosion Matches.

Edit: Is there anywhere I can get old Hayabusa era FMW shows on DVD?

Pakelika fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 7, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Bahu is Mr. FMW but I don't know if he does DVDs. I'm told Jeff Lynch, Mr. Everything Ever Made, will do at least some DVD transfer of his stuff on request.

It's hard to get DVD versions of old stuff. I haven't even tried yet.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Pakelika posted:

I ordered my BJPW stuff from IVPVideos, I also got all of their Hayabusa stuff, IWA King Of The Death Match 95, and Best of Explosion Matches.

Edit: Is there anywhere I can get old Hayabusa era FMW shows on DVD?

FMW put a bunch of stuff out in the US on DVD. You could probably find them at your local mass electronics store (FYE, Best Buy, Sam Goody, Tower, etc) for cheap.

Lots of stuff with Hayabusa, Masato Tanaka, Mike Awesome. The commentary is in english and kinda lovely.

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster

cortXbomb posted:

Lots of stuff with Hayabusa, Masato Tanaka, Mike Awesome. The commentary is in english and kinda lovely.

Kinda lovely? How about real lovely, especially on the first 4 releases. You'll enjoy the action if you mute the program.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I might as well ask here rather than the questions thread.

Is Manabu Nakanishi in any way known/good ?
I only ask because he was in WCW in 1995 as Kurosawa where he had the priviledge of breaking Road Warrior Hawk's arm and then two months later actually beating RWH at HH95. So it at least seems like they thought he might have potential. It seems like he left not long after that though, to go back to NJPW.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Don't worry yourself with Manabu, trust me.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (
I used to totally loathe Nakanishi's work when he wrestled more serious matches but he has become...(even more) goofier in recent years and it's actually a lot more entertaining now. But it's still an acquired taste though.

If you're not a fan of unintentionally funny wrestlers such as Nakanishi and Taue, you can always try watching some of his 2003 work where he abandoned his "beast man" gimmick for a while and went under "Gotch-ism" and he actually had some good "serious" matches during that period. He was also in an amazing shape at that time but too much KFC has turned him into a big, clumsy but lovable oaf that he is now.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Taue =/= Nakanishi :mad:

Tenzan is YOUR G-1 2006 winner. Solid finals match vs Kojima.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
:siren: Urgent puro newsflash :siren:

Osaka has more hotties than Tokyo :flashfap:

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster

Ditch posted:

:siren: Urgent puro newsflash :siren:

Osaka has more hotties than Tokyo :flashfap:

Japan is truly amazing when it comes to women. I was there for a summer in '96, and 99% of the women I saw there were AT LEAST "cute".

Also I demand pics. Lots of them.

Of women.

edit: I don't know how much Japanese you speak, but just in case, the Japanese word for "picture" is pronounced "shya-sheen".

My Japanese is rusty, but I believe "shya-sheen ga eeee-des-ka?" is an acceptable way to ask for a picture.

Chief Rebel Angel fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 17, 2006

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I already stand out enough as a pasty blonde gaijin, taking stalker pics of every pair of shapely gams is just going to get me tossed in the pokey. Plus some of them have boyfriends, and granted they all look like twigs but any random one could know just enough of the martial arts to make me regret my having crossed the Pacific. Which I'll be doing again in about 24 hours.

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster

Ditch posted:

I already stand out enough as a pasty blonde gaijin, taking stalker pics of every pair of shapely gams is just going to get me tossed in the pokey. Plus some of them have boyfriends, and granted they all look like twigs but any random one could know just enough of the martial arts to make me regret my having crossed the Pacific. Which I'll be doing again in about 24 hours.

Obviously the ones with boyfriends require you to stand where they can't see you and use the zoom lens, duh.

Everyone else is free game. Trust me, asking for a picture is flattering. They'll eat it up. Just don't smile like a pervert.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Ok guys, bear with me now.

I'm sitting here watching the WCW/NJPW Supercard from 1991 and it has the following card:
Brian Pillman , Tom Zenk & Tim Horner vs. Shiro Koshinaka, Kuniaki Kobayashi, & Takayuki Iizuka

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Akira Nogami

Arn Anderson & Barry Windham vs. Masahiro Chono & Masa Saito

IWGP Tag Team Title vs. WCW Tag Team Title: Rick & Scott Steiner vs. Hiroshi Hase & Kensuke Sasaki

El Gigante vs. Big Cat Mr Hughes

Sting vs. Great Muta

IWGP Heavyweight Title & NWA Heavyweight Title: Ric Flair vs. Tatsumi Fujinami

Now, outside of Liger, Chono and the team of Hase/Sasaki and of course Muta I'm not at all familiar with any of the other guys.
I guess it's not unreasonable to think that Fujinami was the top guy at the time, since he got to face Flair, but were the three guys in the first match and Akira Nogami in any way known/popular back in 91? And are any of them still working now?

And if you should care, ignoring the El Gigante match this is actually a pretty good event. The Liger match is a bit strange though, but you can judge for yourselves if you want to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi94dHqS0jw

I just have one last newbie question, in January of 92 NJPW and WCW held an event called Starcade 92, has that ever been released on video?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Those Fujinami/Flair matches sure were weird in how dull they ended up, and the giant title cluster gently caress that ensued.

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

Those Fujinami/Flair matches sure were weird in how dull they ended up, and the giant title cluster gently caress that ensued.

I remember explaining that cluster gently caress a few months ago and nearly confusing myself. Several rewrites were required.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HwoodNG posted:

I remember explaining that cluster gently caress a few months ago and nearly confusing myself. Several rewrites were required.

I remember knowing the general backstory, then reading your post and still wanting to punch my brain.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

MrBling posted:

I guess it's not unreasonable to think that Fujinami was the top guy at the time, since he got to face Flair, but were the three guys in the first match and Akira Nogami in any way known/popular back in 91? And are any of them still working now?
Iizuka: Midcarder 4 life, got a bad concussion in '01 and an afterthought since. Was part of a grrrrrrrreat tag in December 2000 with Nagata vs Kawada & Fuchi.

Kunaki Kobayashi: A big junior name in his time (ie pre-90s), now retired.

Koshinaka: An institution, debuted in '79, Misawa's first opponent on 8/21/81, a juniors division mainstay in the '80s and heavyweight-who-could-get-biggish-wins in the '90s, now a lovable gumpy rear end-attacker who can go virtually where he pleases.

Akira Nogami: Off-and-on due to a mildly successful acting career but always looks great. Now is mostly seen in All Japan.

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Please tell me there are plans for a Wild II v. KENTAFuji rematch.

Artemis Entreri
Oct 2, 2005

by Peatpot
isn't Koshinaka the guy who runs and hits people with his rear end and the crowd marks for it?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

HwoodNG posted:

Please tell me there are plans for a Wild II v. KENTAFuji rematch.
Rematch? In NOAH? Dream on.

Artemis Entreri posted:

isn't Koshinaka the guy who runs and hits people with his rear end and the crowd marks for it?
I thought "rear end-attacker" made that clear enough :confused:

It's funny because in white pants he looks nigh-assless.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://theditch.us

Bookmark it, visit it every day, just don't post it on other boards without permission.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/50521
THIS WEEK: Playing catch-up on news/results, plus a look at New Japan's heavyweight division.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/50533

First trip report :350: featuring a metric ton of pictures.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://www.theditch.us/japan/DSC01854.JPG
GOONS

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Great stuff, Ditch. I'm kinda glad that I didn't go to a HUSTLE event, but on the other hand, the BJW show would probably be even more amazing in comparison.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I have a feeling that smaller BJW shows aren't quite as grand since they take it easy on the hardcore.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

You're probably right, but the 200+ lighttubes match I witnessed was just a cherry on top of a quite impressive wrestling show, which was not all hardcore stuff - chairs were thrown from time to time, but that's about it - I don't know, something there just clicks for me... HUSTLE on the other hand just scares me sometimes - it's like a bizarro-world WWE, which is probably more than I can handle. :v:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Ditch what do you have of (all one guy) El Blazer, Shanao, Yoshitsune, Mini CIMA, Litle Dragon, HUSTLE Kamen Ranger Red, Michinoku Ranger Gold?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takuya_Sugi

After seeing some gifs of him I'm wondering what the gently caress.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (

Lid posted:

Ditch what do you have of (all one guy) El Blazer, Shanao, Yoshitsune, Mini CIMA, Litle Dragon, HUSTLE Kamen Ranger Red, Michinoku Ranger Gold?

His no-hands front flip into the ropes feign thingy is loving scary, one day he's just going to slam himself headfirst into the mat. He is pretty entertaining though, I'll give him that even though he needs to gently caress up a little less.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
He's been in some decent matches but I'm not a highspot mark so I don't go out of the way for him.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/50556
Japan trip report part 2

http://www.theditch.us/sights.html
Non-wrestling stuff

ChefBoyardee
Sep 30, 2004

Those pictures are awesome. I really can't wait to go to Japan now.

Also, I was wondering how I'd be able to see some HUSTLE stuff as I can't find it anywhere.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I think that it's hard to find because of DSE owning it coupled with low interest in the west.

Pakelika
May 13, 2005

Work It! Thats Right! Awwww Yeah!
General Takada of Hustle makes me uncomforable, other than him I would be fine at a HUSTLE event, some day I hope to make it over there and go to a BJW and a HUSTLE show. Hopefully HG will still be making appearances in HUSTLE, as well as maybe a Ito vs Kun Kasai match or at least one of the hardcore 6 man tags.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
But Takada rules all. KONOYARO~!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/50684
THIS WEEK: A look at Angle vis-a-vis Japan

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Ditch posted:

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/50684
THIS WEEK: A look at Angle vis-a-vis Japan

drat you for using logic to crush my dreams! :cry:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
ZACH ARNOLD SEZ I AM WRONG. I say he is wrong. Only one of us will be proven right in the future!

http://www.fightopinion.com/2006/09/01/kurt-angles-future/

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Minoru Suzuki won the Triple Crown from Taiyo Kea yesterday. Horrible attendance at a smallish arena, less than 2000 in attendance. Oh All Japan :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis Entreri
Oct 2, 2005

by Peatpot
Angle vs. Tamon Honda, book it

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Also what was the biggest wrestling event ever booked in Japan? I know there was that one card in North Korea that drew like 120k+ but of course it's not Japan. Was it Inoki/Vader 94? 95?

Artemis Entreri fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 4, 2006