Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Capsaicin posted:

From Obsessed with Wrestling.

:wtc:

What the loving hell was this match?

This was likely the famous 6 man featuring Mike Awesome and Onita. The ring was in the center of a large pool and each team came out to the ring on dingys. It was an elimination match and each wrestler could be eliminated via pin, submission or being thrown in the pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
And when you fell in the pool there was a big explosion. Not good in a Misawa vs Kawada sense but good in a 'this is hilarious and awesome' sense. Onita's team going to the ring in a small boat while the Japanese cover of Wild Thing plays... it's just too much.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I keep getting this error trying to read your article Ditch

quote:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/virtual/site2/fst/var/www/html/classes/Column.php on line 51
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 3

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'm dumb :smith:

Actual link: http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/61186

KidVicious
Feb 2, 2004

Captain Charisma
I just came from the Osaka gym and there was a pretty big show there with the main event of Koji Kanemoto and Hiroshi Tanahashi. I couldn't catch a lot of the names very well, is anyone in the Osaka area with results/info on the show?

EDIT: I just moved out here for a year and I don't know people. Yay bakagaijin me.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (

KidVicious posted:

I just came from the Osaka gym and there was a pretty big show there with the main event of Koji Kanemoto and Hiroshi Tanahashi. I couldn't catch a lot of the names very well, is anyone in the Osaka area with results/info on the show?

EDIT: I just moved out here for a year and I don't know people. Yay bakagaijin me.

http://puroresufan.com/ would have some very useful info for you. How was the show? Any standout matches?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

KidVicious posted:

But I bet there are some people you'd like to know, am I right?

:huh:

KidVicious
Feb 2, 2004

Captain Charisma

Ditch posted:

But I bet there are some people you'd like to know, am I right?

:huh:

Ye drat right.

I went with a co-worker and the show was pretty good overall. It's odd sitting in the audience without hearing people WOOOOO at the chops, so we provided those much to the annoyance of the Japanese fans.

I think the best match was the main event(Tanahashi vs. Kanemoto), despite not knowing who they were beforehand.

We were floored at seeing Bernard and Tomko getting such strong reactions, and we harassed them as much as we could.

I have no idea why Akebono wrestles in NJPW. I thought the idea of him in the match was horrible, but it was actually entertaining. Moreso than any of his opposition's stints in WWE.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Akebono is shockingly good relative to every wrestler bigger/fatter than Vader. He's in NJ because he blows at shootfighting.

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster
I had a pretty cool experience last night.

My friend and I usually go out to the bar on Wednesday nights. Last night, the friend brought along his co-worker, who is a native of Japan. Somehow the conversation got to "Hey, HwoodNG likes the puro" and while the native had not followed puro in years, he seemed impressed when he mentioned the names of Baba, Inoki, Choshu and Jumbo and I immediately replied that I was familiar with their work. We briefly discussed how awesome Muta was in 89, Jumbo's early death and Japan's strict policy on drugs. Nothing too in depth, but I had never had the opportunity to speak with someone from Japan about their style of wrestling before, and it was a welcome opportunity.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I was marking out inside last year when I got to speak to a middle-age teacher who was a fan of bygone puro. The first guy he referenced was Hansen... I think Hansen has as much goodwill among the Japanese as anyone who ever wrestled there.

Of course when I spoke to random females they didn't even know Misawa :sigh:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Of course when I spoke to random females they didn't even know Misawa :sigh:

New Japan fans eh?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/61488
This week: Can Nakamura bail out a sinking ship?

MassRayPer posted:

New Japan fans eh?
:argh:

(not really)

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
THE HG VIDEO TO END ALL HG VIDEOS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWbjePmOpMo

"It would have to be Morgan Freeman"

Russ
Dec 17, 2005

Chimping around, kick my brains round the floor
These are the days - it never rains but it pours

Ditch posted:

THE HG VIDEO TO END ALL HG VIDEOS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWbjePmOpMo

"It would have to be Morgan Freeman"

I watched the whole show on Thursday and the sight of seeing HUSTLE footage on the same channel which makes highbrow TV like Newsnight, University Challenge and Mastermind made me laugh quite a lot. Jeremy Paxman and Yingling The Erotic Terrorist don't have much else in common, really.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
so is morishima just terry gordy but japanese? he really reminds me of bam bam. in a good way. a very good way.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I see a lot of people saying that, and a lot of his running mannerisms are exactly the same. Really there's a whole lot of similarities; similar size, same gear, similar moveset and style, similar work ethic.

I think Morishima vs Joe will top the battle of the Bam-Bams though :)

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

RheinholdMessner posted:

so is morishima just terry gordy but japanese? he really reminds me of bam bam. in a good way. a very good way.

That's the exact thing I thought, and I've only seen Terry Gordy wrestle a couple of times in my life. Morishima also reminds me of Mike Awesome.

I hadn't heard any hype for Morishima before I saw some of his matches and I came away thinking that he's the future of puro.

I love this thread and your articles, Ditch.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Giant Baba posted:

I love this thread and your articles, Ditch.
Well geez, with that username I sure hope so.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/61641
This week: More handwringing about the slow demise of puro.

:smith:

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster
Zach Arnold was on yesterday's Figure 4 Daily, and as you alluded to in your column, Simon Inoki v. Chono? :wtf:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
They want to play off the Vince McMahon 'evil owner' dynamic. Only Simon isn't on steroids and isn't charismatic as hell. He's tall enough but other than that... no.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Is it just me or is NJPW becoming more and more like a north american promotion?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Raffles posted:

Is it just me or is NJPW becoming more and more like a north american promotion?

You just noticed this?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/61759
New Japan had a big show today. My insta-reaction!

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
any match involving chono and hase sounds like an episode of beavis and butthead

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ditch, how much would Puro benefit from AJPW going belly up. The talent pool would be less dilluted (obviously AJPW doesn't have a ton of talent left, but it still could be used for bolstering other companies) so I'm not totally sure how much of a difference it'd make.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

MassRayPer posted:

Ditch, how much would Puro benefit from AJPW going belly up. The talent pool would be less dilluted (obviously AJPW doesn't have a ton of talent left, but it still could be used for bolstering other companies) so I'm not totally sure how much of a difference it'd make.
I think NJ is in more trouble, actually. I don't think puro as a whole would be too terribly effected, we really need to see two of AJ/NJ/Zero-One/Muga gone and the talent dispersed among whoever's left before there's a significant change. Even then there's only so much new/extra talent anyone is interested in.

RheinholdMessner posted:

any match involving chono and hase sounds like an episode of beavis and butthead
Huh?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

I think NJ is in more trouble, actually. I don't think puro as a whole would be too terribly effected, we really need to see two of AJ/NJ/Zero-One/Muga gone and the talent dispersed among whoever's left before there's a significant change. Even then there's only so much new/extra talent anyone is interested in.

Huh?

With how difficult it is for one of these companies to actually go out of business, the chance of two going under are pretty much nil?

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
when chono starts breathing heavy he doesn't just breathe, he makes some strange sound like "huh-uh-uh-uh-uh", and hase never stops his "huh!"s everytime he breathes

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

MassRayPer posted:

With how difficult it is for one of these companies to actually go out of business, the chance of two going under are pretty much nil?
Yup.

RheinholdMessner posted:

when chono starts breathing heavy he doesn't just breathe, he makes some strange sound like "huh-uh-uh-uh-uh", and hase never stops his "huh!"s everytime he breathes
Too, too true. I know that's distracted me plenty of times.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/61841
I discuss the implications of the Marufuji vs KENTA match.

I left out that AmDrag owned them both :c00l:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Taue & SUWA, eh? I hope they get the gold, they're the two most entertaining things the company has going and SUWA has been criminally underused for ages now.

Maru vs KENTA for the title is ... Interesting. I think these two always bring out the best in eachother.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I think they bring out the worst in each other. Big moves thrown out willy-nilly and what-not. I much prefer something like KENTA vs SUWA and Marufuji vs Taue where they try to work a smarter match.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
True, their matches tend to be spotty but at least they have great chemistry. It's a
far cry from something like, say, KENTA vs Taji.

Plus I like the whole "now they're tag partners, now they're rivals, now they're tag partners again" dynamic.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch-san, why are KENTA and TAKA's names in all caps?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I think it has to do with the English/Japanese dynamic. Things in English are often written in all-caps, my guess for ease of reading since they... you know... are used to kanji and stuff. Well that's why they do it in all-caps, why they do it at all is tricky.

KENTA is Kenta Kobayashi, so to stand out from the obvious guy in his own promotion he went with KENTA. TAKA I think did it to be a heel.

Though KENTA does seem to be going for some lower-case action here:
http://www.theditch.us/japan/DSC01591.JPG

Illinois Smith posted:

It's a far cry from something like, say, KENTA vs Taji.
That ain't saying much :v:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Goodbye Triple Crown, we hardly knew ye:

quote:

The biggest news is coming from an announcement made by All Japan officers today. All Japan will finally unite the Triple Crown into one title belt. The production costs for the title are being quoted as to be around 10 million yen or more, so the belt will be top-notch. The Triple Crown has been All Japan's main title since 1989, when they were unified by Jumbo Tsuruta. One of the main motivating factors behind the new title is the degradation the belts recieved at the hands of current champion, Minoru Suzuki, but also that times were changing in the wrestling community and that the officers agreed to manufacture a new title in their meeting this month. The belts will be collected at the end of Suzuki/RO'Zs title match on 10/29 in Fukuoka, and the new title will be revealed at All Japan's Sumo Hall show in February. Kyohei Wada stated that long ago, the Triple Crown belts couldn't even as so much be placed on the floor, so when Suzuki stood on top of the belts back on 9/3, it angered him alot. All Japan management say's that although the belts will be sealed, they will be kept in the office, and will also be on display at the halls in which a match for the new title will occur. Finally, the belt will also feature "Triple Crown" in english in the center, which is also a step foward for pro-wrestling in Japan, with this being the first step in a string of moves for All Japan.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
MUTOH :argh:

All AJ has going for it are those shabby-looking belts and the history they represent :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

I left out that AmDrag owned them both :c00l:

Since Am Drag beat both of them and Cena beat Am Drag does that mean that Cena should be GHC Champion????

I THINK SO!

All Japan is clearly too poor to make three replacement belts so instead they will make one.