Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster
Clearly a ploy to deprive Suzuki of proceeds that could be gained from an Ebay auction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

All Japan is clearly too poor to make three replacement belts so instead they will make one.

When you add the Cena-mandated spinner, of course it's going to be too expensive.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I just pictured Cena trying to pin Kobashi with the FU.

Good times.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/62049
THIS WEEK: more doom-mongering.

I can't help it :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
How realistic would it be for ROH to run a doubleshot in Japan next year? Gabe has such a hard on for the titles being defended in Japan and with the announcement that Kobashi "would never appear in the US again" I've been wondering if he plans to run Japan eventually and get Joe vs Kobashi II in along with jizzing as the ROH title is defended on Japanese soil. Obviously it'd be really expensive, but in 12 months Japan will have seen Joe/Morishima on TV, so the time might be right even though such a tour would be really expensive.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 20, 2006

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

On WOL Meltzer mentioned that they originally were going to hold off on Marufuji vs KENTA for the GHC Heavyweight Title for as long as possible. What happened/what do you think happened to change that so quickly?

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster

MassRayPer posted:

How realistic would it be for ROH to run a doubleshot in Japan next year? Gabe has such a hard on for the titles being defended in Japan and with the announcement that Kobashi "would never appear in the US again" I've been wondering if he plans to run Japan eventually and get Joe vs Kobashi II in along with jizzing as the ROH title is defended on Japanese soil. Obviously it'd be really expensive, but in 12 months Japan will have seen Joe/Morishima on TV, so the time might be right even though such a tour would be really expensive.

Josh Barnett v. Joe! Book it Gabe!

Barnett will be at a hypothetical event because he is otaku just like the rest of us ROH fans.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

MassRayPer posted:

How realistic would it be for ROH to run a doubleshot in Japan next year?
Not very, they'd have to shell out for at least 10-15 tickets and that would, like, double the talent cost even spread out over two shows. Plus even big feds struggle to fill Korakuen, so they'd be looking at a couple hundred tickets sold.

Wezlar posted:

On WOL Meltzer mentioned that they originally were going to hold off on Marufuji vs KENTA for the GHC Heavyweight Title for as long as possible. What happened/what do you think happened to change that so quickly?
Well there's Kobashi for one thing... but besides that nothing has changed. Maybe they wanted to put Sasaki in for a shot, he got a busted eye. Maybe they wanted to use Takayama but one side or the other figured it's too soon. Misawa seemed to be set for the next shot and was pulled for KENTA, perhaps they want to save him for one last 'bigger' shot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HwoodNG posted:

Josh Barnett v. Joe! Book it Gabe!

Barnett will be at a hypothetical event because he is otaku just like the rest of us ROH fans.

Why do you care about a bunch of people who draw cartoons of Princess Peach being raped by Bowser calling you names!

And really, given the majority of people who go to ROH shows can you really argue with them? There's this albino who sits and reads anime next to his fat friend at every East Coast show, and I'm pretty sure they get driven to each show by their dad.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

Not very, they'd have to shell out for at least 10-15 tickets and that would, like, double the talent cost even spread out over two shows. Plus even big feds struggle to fill Korakuen, so they'd be looking at a couple hundred tickets sold.

They could run it in a smaller venue (and probably would end up barely breaking even). I think it would really depend on if the japanese crowd cares enough about ROH like the east coast kids do.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

coconono posted:

They could run it in a smaller venue (and probably would end up barely breaking even). I think it would really depend on if the japanese crowd cares enough about ROH like the east coast kids do.
Small venue means not coming close to making enough to be worth the plane fare.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

If ROH did go to Japan would they be able to book guys from other promotions? I mean, I imagine Joe vs Kobashi II would be a sticking point to them going in the first place (because the DVD sales might acctually be able to make them some money) but would they be able to fill the rest of their cards with other japanese workers?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
You can get dozens upon dozens of Japanese wrestlers on a moments' notice. The question is can they get the ones who would make Japanese fans buy tickets AND ROH fans buy DVDs. That's trickier, but I imagine it wouldn't be hard to obtain some NOAH and/or DG talent for a show in Japan.

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS
Just saw this on the F4W~! board, and god what a deal it is. If anyone has any interest in puro, you can't pass this up.

http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=1319&osCsid=28f1bad8c3b6f139584e377e8605961a

Puroresu DVD Sampler
[4219] $0.25

Video Quality:EX
Run Time:2:11

Kenta Kobashi, Tamon Honda & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Takeshi Morishima, Mohammed Yone & KENTA (NOAH)
Giant Bernard vs. Yuji Nagata (NJPW)
Ryo Saito, Dragon Kid & Genki Horiguchi [c] vs. CIMA, Don Fujii & Naruki Doi ( Dragon Gate)
200 Light Tubes Death Match for the BJPW Death Match Title: Takashi Sasaki vs. Naoki Numazawa (BJPW)
Mitsuharu Misawa/Kenta Kobashi/Jun Akiyama vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue/Masa Fuchi (AJPW)
Mayumi Ozaki & Dynamite Kansai vs. Toshiyo Yamada & Manami Toyota (Final Fall Only) (AJW)
Ebessan vs. Kushinbo Kamen (Osaka Pro)

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I have 3 of those matches hosted already :v:

Still, a great marketing tool for IVP.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/62239
THIS WEEK: pimping some stuff. But it's good stuff and it's free! And stuff!!

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Ditch posted:

You can get dozens upon dozens of Japanese wrestlers on a moments' notice. The question is can they get the ones who would make Japanese fans buy tickets AND ROH fans buy DVDs. That's trickier, but I imagine it wouldn't be hard to obtain some NOAH and/or DG talent for a show in Japan.

Theoretically, could ROH do some kind of ROH vs NOAH and then ROH vs DG doubleshot in Japan then? Say, fly 8 guys over maybe Dragon, Joe, Aries, Strong, Nigel, Homicide and The Briscoes. Maybe book it when Corino is already in Japan.

The cards could be absolutely stacked, though I guess it would still cost a poo poo ton of money, and they might be even putting too many dream matches on each DVD.

edit: also, unrelated, do you know if Shingo's run in ROH and Jack Evans' return will cross over? I'm kinda hoping to see them team together.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 27, 2006

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Jack is in Japan until '07, so no way of knowing. I doubt they'd be teamed regardless.

ROH vs NOAH and ROH vs DG are draws for the US IWC/smark community, not Japan. ROH is referenced to show that puro guys are big overseas, ROH talent is used for match quality... there's no PROFIT in doing it. I realize it would be cool but it just isn't feasible. Ever.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Anyone know where I can find any HUSTLE stuff, preferably subtitles? It looks entertaining, especially for someone who doesn't watch Puro.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'd KILL for subtitles but don't hold your breath.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WeaselWeaz posted:

Anyone know where I can find any HUSTLE stuff, preferably subtitles? It looks entertaining, especially for someone who doesn't watch Puro.

Yeah, that would be nice. However, some of the stuff is best without it because its totally "WTF is going on?", making it even funnier. Like the Hustle Ranger matches (why is the fat one's suit too small?).

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
YELLOW IS ALL MUSCLE.

ALL.

MUSCLE. :mad:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
American Dragon has been announced for NOAH's next tour.

SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGE

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

American Dragon has been announced for NOAH's next tour.

SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGE

This makes me unbelievably happy. Hope he's booked strong, considering he's got singles victories over the two guys who just headlined their last big show.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Raffles posted:

This makes me unbelievably happy. Hope he's booked strong, considering he's got singles victories over the two guys who just headlined their last big show.

I can't see him doing anything but working with juniors.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The key is whether he gets any featured matches on tape. In NOAH juniors and heavies clash in mix tags constantly.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/62445
This week: Marufuji and KENTA been hangin' around Gabe Sapolsky too much.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

Well I don't expect him to be challenging for any titles, but I'd hope he would feature in a few big tags and six mans.

Also Ditch: whilst I fully expect Dragon to drop the ROH title soon, do you really think that him spending most of next year in NOAH is a real possibility?

Raffles fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 2, 2006

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I absolutely do, if they make a commitment to use him every tour. Still lets him do 1/3 to 1/2 of ROH shows, probably means more money, and he could become a mainstream star in Japan a hell of a lot easier than he can here.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Captain Charisma posted:

The last Budokan show was headlined by two juniors, both of which Dragon has defeated in great matches that were aired in Japan.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Haha! People can say what they like about WWE and TNA making poor business decisions, but NJ take it to a whole new level. Yup, they've confirmed the Tokyo Dome for 1/4 next year. If they don't lose money, I'll perform sexual favors for whoever claims first dibs.

Also from Green Destiny:

quote:

NOAH, 12/2/06 (NTV/G+)
Yokohoma Bunka Gymnasium

1. Naomichi Marufuji & Mushiking Joker vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Mushiking Terry
2. KENTA vs. Bryan Danielson
3. GHC Tag Team Title Decision Tournament - Final: Winner of 11/26 vs. Winner of 11/25

:holy:

Raffles fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 6, 2006

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Nakamura vs Tanahashi was a very, very marginal draw for them on 1/4/05. That show had an undercard that they're unlikely to match on 1/4/07. This is going to be a bloodbath.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
KENTA vs Danielson is announced for NOAH's 12/2 show in Yokohama, which is the 2nd biggest of the tour and will accordingly be taped. :holy:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Oh boy, this is going to be awesome. If they have him face Taue in a tag as well my head might just explode.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Not that anyone would have a remote interst in this, because it doesn't mean a whole lot but Chono & Nakamura are the 2006 G-1 Tag League winners, after they defeated Tanahashi & Kanemoto in final, when Nakamura pinned Koji after a Landslide.

Woo.

Also Tiger Mask IV beat Milano to retain the NWA Jr. Heavyweight Title.

Boo.

Edit: if Ditch is gonna shill I will too: http://jujigatametime.livejournal.com/

JUJIGATAME TIME PURO REVIEW #1 - Super Family Discount Puro!

Raffles fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 8, 2006

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BUTTONS

THE BUTTONS :psyduck:

Sorry about that.

Anyway have some :smith: : http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/62639

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I just finished watching Marufuji/KENTA from the 29th of last month and good God, what a match. If that's the result of Japanese wrestlers breaking kayfabe and openly trying to put on MOTYCs, then everyone should follow their lead. I can honestly say that it's better than anything ROH has put out this year and that's no small feat. I think that what stood out for me, besides the amazing-looking and unbelievably creative spots was Marufuji's selling throughout the whole thing. Just the way he would sound like he's retching his guts out after Kenta kicks him or clutching his chest like he's having a heart attack after one of the many crazy moves in the match made everything seem so real and involving.

Holland Oats fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 10, 2006

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If that match is better than Dragon/KENTA or Dragon/Nigel, that is one loving fantastic match.

So Ditch are you starting to feel bipolar with Puro? One week it is "PURO IS DYING" next week "BUT MORISHIMA MAY SAVE IT HE IS THAT SEXY" next "PURO IS DYING" then "JUNIORS MAY SAVE IT" then "gently caress JUNIORS SUCK AT DRAWING."

Obviously it has to do with the changing situation, but that sure has to be a lot of fun to be torn from one emotion to the another weekly.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Crossposted from the DVDR boards, KENTA/Marufuji: http://www.sendspace.com/file/3spbq3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (
I enjoyed the match as well but when Marufuji hit the third consecutive spinning kick to a grounded KENTA and missed pretty badly, I was like :froggonk:.
Still a good match though, no real gripes about the backdrop/German no-sell sequence either, other than Marufuji very enthusiastically throwing himself backwards on a KENTA German suplex.