Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I never changed my mind on Morishima, assuming he gets the kinda support Rikio got. And if I knew the juniors only drew 7000 from the get-go I wouldn't have focused on "is MOTYC-ism the future?" because I think it isn't, at least without a lot of other things going for it as well.

I'll have my nice-looking version of Marufuji vs KENTA up on theditch.com within the week, so keep an eye out. It's certainly an important match even if I wouldn't toss a billion snowflakes at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
When did Marufji lose the vanity mask?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Mighty Agrippa posted:

When did Marufji lose the vanity mask?
Probably part of the heavyweight push.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
I thought Marufuji vs. KENTA was pretty good, but it seemed really obvious that they were pacing themselves and there was no sense of urgency to finish. Does it make me a bad person that the highlight of the match was fuji almost killing himself on the guardrail with that quebraba?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The guardrail left more welts (on his neck) than KENTA's kicks left on his chest. Think about THAT for a minute.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/62845
THIS WEEK: talk of crossovers and co-promotion the like.

Athius
Dec 5, 2004
Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell
I'm slowly getting genuinely addicted to puro, specifically NOAH (as it is the one I have the easiest access to).

I'm halfway through watching KENTA v Marafuji. I think this could be it, boys.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Hey Ditch, thanks a lot for all the Michinoku Pro awesomeness you put up lately. I'm a huge fan of their tags but haven't seen too much '96 material besides the Barely Legal match, the one from These Days and a few random other ones. This stuff is putting me straight back into Dancing Mark Mode, even though I have a broken foot right now. :)

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
These are all really old caps, I'm stunned more isn't getting capped as time passes.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's the "start of the tour big tag leading to the singles match at the end of the tour" match for 12/2's epic confrontation, KENTA vs. Bryan Danielson:

20061117 - Bryan Danielson, Bison Smith, & Eddie Edwards vs. KENTA, Ricky Marvin, & Akitoshi Saito
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=20I9J04S

I'd never really seen any of the other guys before the match, I just wanted to watch KENTA and Danielson get it on, but Ricky Marvin is loving fantastic. I need to see more of him pronto. I also need to find the ROH KENTA vs. Danielson match from September that I didn't see because I didn't do much paying attention to wrestling for the middle part of the year.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Here's Japanese coverage of AmDrag vs KENTA:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9FW6CE0W

And you can find some Marvin at the NOAH media site!

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
Dean Malenko- American Charisma Machine

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
I'm watching NOAH from 10/29/06 and it's so refreshing.

I'm 50 minutes in. Everything that happens is making sense, and none of it insults my intelligence like WWE and TNA do.

I thought Scorpio and Bospurus vs. Honda and someone I can't identify was one of the better tag matches I've seen in a while. Although I did like the Hardy Boys return match last night.

Scorpio was leading his less experienced partner, who was making rookie tag team mistakes (not guarding the other opponent from breaking up a pin, not doing the same type of offense as his partner) and it led to them losing the match. The better team won, and the other team got something out of it by gaining some tag experience for Bosporus with a veteran partner. All of this was easily picked up without even being able to understand most of what the announcers were saying. Everybody goes home happy and the fans were entertained. No bullshit.

I'm not surprised or anything, it's just nice to be able to watch a show and talk about it without saying "That was stupid" or "Why did that happen?"

Edit: Yone just slammed Izumida and went up top and Izumida is trying to get up. So simple but you never see that on TV. The point is he's trying to get up so he doesn't get hit with the leg drop, but he can't move. He got leg dropped and pinned because he couldn't get up and he showed you that. He didn't just lay down because it looked like it was time to go backstage and play Xbox. It's just good to see people who know how to work :)

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 23, 2006

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
And that wasn't even an especially good undercard. That's how awesome puro is :holy:

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
If I'm buying a Japanese t-shirt, do I need to upsize? Like, is a Large the size of an American Large, or do I need an XL?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
In the case of buying from ROH, I'd ask them how they list it. In general go up a size, though my Japanese XL Kawada shirt fits better than a US large. At the same time a different Japanese XL shirt doesn't fit so well after a modest weight gain. So be wary.

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster
I have a RO&D shirt that's an XL, and fits me fine (6' fit 195).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WeaselWeaz posted:

If I'm buying a Japanese t-shirt, do I need to upsize? Like, is a Large the size of an American Large, or do I need an XL?

Pretty much. I bought the DANGER MUTA IN CAR shirt and an XL was about a US Large.

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've looked around at different puro DVD sites and I can't find the 7/16/06 El Dorado show. Have you, or anyone else in the thread, seen it anywhere?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/63083
THIS WEEK: A column that is the closest to FYAD as I'll ever get.

Gordy posted:

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've looked around at different puro DVD sites and I can't find the 7/16/06 El Dorado show. Have you, or anyone else in the thread, seen it anywhere?
I haven't looked for it, and to be honest El Dorado has kinda dropped off since Livedoor stopped backing it heavily. You'll be lucky to find it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

American Balloon is one scary young man.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (
American Balloon. :frogsiren:
I'm still not sure whether the interviewer was "Oh Jesus, the tits :gonk:" or "Oh Jesus, the tits :quagmire:" near the end of the interview.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

It'll take CIMA what, a month to recover from his hair vs. hair match?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Mighty Agrippa posted:

It'll take CIMA what, a month to recover from his hair vs. hair match?
I didn't think of it that way. And hell, Gamma would have needed a couple days at most.

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster

MassRayPer posted:

Pretty much. I bought the DANGER MUTA IN CAR shirt and an XL was about a US Large.

Backing this up. I have the DANGER MUTA IN CAR shirt as well as a Mutoh "You've Got To Fight To Your Life" (yes I spelled that correctly) shirt both in XL and they barely fit me.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Get it while it's loving hot:

20061202 - "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson vs. KENTA
http://www.sendspace.com/file/e93nm1

I actually didn't care too much for the match they had in September, I don't know why, it just seemed a bit off.

This match, however, is far, far better. I really liked it and I recommend it highly. Not quite as much as I liked KENTA vs. Marufuji from October, but it's one of the best matches of the very few I've seen from the calendar year 2006.

Even if I hate the new way Danielson applies the Cattle Mutilation, it's almost like it's a really complicated resthold now.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
That Malenko/Kobashi vs. Can-Am match is absolutely glorious. I don't understand why can-am or joe didn't make it big in north america. They are just so drat good.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
If KENTA vs AmDrag is indeed 'all that' I'll host a high-quality version of it :keke:

RheinholdMessner posted:

That Malenko/Kobashi vs. Can-Am match is absolutely glorious. I don't understand why can-am or joe didn't make it big in north america. They are just so drat good.
Joe just sorta vanished. Can-Ams had runs in both WWF and ECW, but not big ones, and after their peak so they weren't quite as awesome.

It's amazing that matches like this could get practically 'lost' in the sea of great things the promotion produced.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ditch posted:

If KENTA vs AmDrag is indeed 'all that' I'll host a high-quality version of it :keke:

I don't know if everyone likes it as much as I did. We did agree on last year's match of the year, the Kobashi/Shiosaki vs. Sasaki/Nakajima match, but this year I think my match of the year this year is the October KENTAfuji match.

I'm definitely going to watch that Can-Ams vs. Malenko/Kobashi match later today, but first I want to watch Kawada vs. Sasaki from 2000. I read Dean's write-up on it you linked to, and I'm intrigued.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I can't wait to post Kawada vs Sasaki later this month. So easy to love.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I distinctly heard the NOAH announcer say "ROH best bout" during AmDrag vs KENTA.

:argh: Sapolsky :argh:

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Ditch posted:

Please do. :)

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I don't know about you guys, but I love that camera angle that NOAH likes to use so much: The one where the camera is basically over one of the ring post, making the ring look more like a diamond than a square. I feel like it adds a whole new level of depth to the squared circle that you don't really get with just a side camera.

As an example, see the KENTA/Danielson ROH match posted earlier that had been given the NOAH treatment. That one overhead angle that's never used in any ROH video that I've seen in the past not only looks really loving nice, but it also gives a good overview of where the wrestlers are situated in the ring. Why don't we see it more often in American wrestling? Does NOAH have a patent on that diamond angle shot?

Furthermore, I'm slowly digging KENTA more and more, mainly thanks to the little Sonic the Hedgehog finger waving that he does when he's in a submission hold.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

I distinctly heard the NOAH announcer say "ROH best bout" during AmDrag vs KENTA.

:argh: Sapolsky :argh:

Well it could be worst and the phrase "You need to see him live to appreciate how big he is!" could have made it over to Japan.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/63326
THIS WEEK: More good matches to watch.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Kikkoman posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I love that camera angle that NOAH likes to use so much: The one where the camera is basically over one of the ring post, making the ring look more like a diamond than a square. I feel like it adds a whole new level of depth to the squared circle that you don't really get with just a side camera.

As an example, see the KENTA/Danielson ROH match posted earlier that had been given the NOAH treatment. That one overhead angle that's never used in any ROH video that I've seen in the past not only looks really loving nice, but it also gives a good overview of where the wrestlers are situated in the ring. Why don't we see it more often in American wrestling? Does NOAH have a patent on that diamond angle shot?

I love that angle. Especially when it's like a 6 man tag and guys are doing dives and there's something going on in the ring too. It's a more "live" shot.

I remember some Toryumon used a similar angle, but it was more like the Fire Pro camera angle then the NOAH one.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Okay, I just watched Furnas & Kroffat vs. Kobashi & Malenko. It was absolutely fantastic. Since I haven't really seen any of the Four Corners of Heaven tag matches yet (drat me wanting to watch all the crap Ditch posted in chronological order), I'd have to say that was one of the best tag matches I've ever seen, especially considering the time period it's from.

Most wrestlers today would be so much better if they had even 1/100 the creativity shown in that match. Young Kobashi really brought it, I wasn't expecting to be that good at such an early stage. I only barely remember Furnas & LaFon from their run in the WWF back when I was 12, so I was amazed at how good they were. Man, to think that almost nobody has probably even heard of that match.

Wikipedia says Joe Malenko is a registered pharmacist in Florida now. We need to send The Daryl Surat Documentary Crew down to wherever he lives and do a shoot interview with him or something.

I love how Kroffat busted out the Cattle Mutilation in the middle of that match and it was just another neat submission in that series, that was cool. There were tons of unique submissions in that match and the strikes were so clean and stiff and yet still felt kinda brawlish, in a good way.

I haven't had this much to say about a match in a long time, but then again it's been a while since I saw one that good.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
If you haven't seen Furnas & Kroffat vs Kobashi & Kikuchi from '92 yet, get ready to lose your poo poo. That one is exponentially better.

Good man for taking your time on the All Japan stuff. One of the rewards is that I only just posted the second Misawa/Kobashi vs Kawada/Taue tag. Sadly I'm waiting on a few more matches before I post the 6/9/95 climax.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ditch posted:

If you haven't seen Furnas & Kroffat vs Kobashi & Kikuchi from '92 yet, get ready to lose your poo poo. That one is exponentially better.

Good man for taking your time on the All Japan stuff. One of the rewards is that I only just posted the second Misawa/Kobashi vs Kawada/Taue tag. Sadly I'm waiting on a few more matches before I post the 6/9/95 climax.

The problem is that it's going to take me forever. Back in like April/May I watched from 1969 to about May 1990, so I didn't even get to the original Misawa/Tsuruta match. Now it's been so long that I feel like starting over from the beginning, partially because I added a bunch of matches in that space I've already seen and also because I want to watch The Saga of The Funks vs. Brody/Hansen/Snuka again. But I also here that there's Baba vs. Hansen from 2/4/82 that I don't have to add to that part of All Japan history.

I have watched some random matches that I've just felt like watching from outside that period, such as most of the Vader matches you posted and some of the Hansen/DiBiase or British Bulldogs tag matches I've gotten.

Right now my Pre-Split All Japan folder is looking huge to the max thanks to you Ditch, and thanks to other various internets. I'm rocking a directory that's 172 files, 18.7 GB, running time of 75 hours, 10 minutes, and 39 seconds. This next week is my final exams for this semester of college though, so perhaps I'll just try to watch an hour a day when I'm at home for the next month. That should get me through about half of it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Just ignore everything you didn't download from my site and that will help a lot :q: