Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I just watched the main event of the first NOAH show. Was Misawa legit knocked out by that Front Neck Lock?

Either way it ended up being a match with a very exciting finish and good booking, at least after that Front Neck Lock. I wasn't quite able to follow why Kobashi and Akiyama were able to gently caress up Misawa so early in the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
It was selling. Absurd selling given the CPR.

The point of the first two shows was to make Akiyama into someone who was a 100% threat to Kobashi and Misawa, as opposed to someone who could hang but was a step behind.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ditch posted:

It was selling. Absurd selling given the CPR.

That was really what was confusing me, I didn't know whether to laugh my rear end off or be concerned when the ref started doing chest compressions. I guess it's officially "laugh my rear end off" now. And it doesn't even need to be said, but drat Misawa is awesome for that.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (
Danielson's selling of KENTA's Go2Sleep is legendary, someone should make an animated gif from it. The match was pretty good but could have been so much more entertaining if it was held at Korakuen or even the Budoukan.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ditch posted:

The point of the first two shows was to make Akiyama into someone who was a 100% threat to Kobashi and Misawa, as opposed to someone who could hang but was a step behind.

About 10 years too late for that, huh.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Captain Charisma posted:

About 10 years too late for that, huh.
The match happened in 2000 and he debuted in 1992 :confused:

I mean, Misawa was a 9 year vet before he ever pinned Jumbo. Kawada was a 13 year vet before he pinned Misawa.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
Ok so when Misawa took off the mask for the first time the crowd went nuts chanting "MISAWA". But why would they know who he is or make a big deal out of it? He never did anything without the mask, did he?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

RheinholdMessner posted:

Ok so when Misawa took off the mask for the first time the crowd went nuts chanting "MISAWA". But why would they know who he is or make a big deal out of it? He never did anything without the mask, did he?

I'd like to know the answer to this myself.

Then again, didn't the rookie jobbers always work as ringside hands in addition to curtain jerking? They were always the ones that would get the Lariat from Hansen after the match when they'd try to break up post-match carnage or check on the loser of the match. Maybe people actually knew who they were a bit, in a "look at the cute rookie Misawa, maybe he'll be famous some day" way.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
He debuted without the mask and I'm guessing that people knew he was Tiger Mask, and cared for him by virtue of him being the heir to the important gimmick, or something. In the wake of Tenryu's departure weeks earlier, fans probably were expecting someone to step up and fill his shoes as #2 native. Tiger Mask unmasking to be his true self early in the first post-Tenryu tour would indicate who that was.

That's my best guess.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
thanks ditch. you're the best guy.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

From Green Destiny:

quote:

Mitsuharu Misawa became the 11th GHC Heavyweight Champion today, pinning his one time protege Naomichi Marufuji in the main event today. Misawa, who is the first wrestler in NOAH history to become champion for the third time, had vowed that this was perhaps his last title challenge and this showed in the drive and determination for victory he displayed. Today's record crowd of 16,800 willed on the NOAH president, who used an avalanche style version of the Emerald Frosion to gain victory. After the match, Takeshi Morishima entered the ring and declared his intention to challenge for the belt. Misawa accepted, predicting that the match would be a severe fight.

Kenta Kobashi made his return to Pro Wrestling NOAH after the 4th match, being met with a hero's reception from the crowd. Dressed in a suit, Kobashi said that he had been recovering gradually, and that he would return to the ring without fail.

SUWA announced after his loss in the 5th match that he would be retiring before the Spring of 2007, and that he hoped to make the most of his remaining time competing for NOAH.

NOAH "Great Voyage '06", 12/10/06 (NTV/G+ Live)
Tokyo Nippon Budokan
16,800 Fans - Super No Vacancy

1. Tamon Honda, Junji Izumida & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi beat Kentaro Shiga, Kishin Kawabata & Mitsuo Momota (14:13) when Izumida used a schoolboy on Momota.
2. Masao Inoue & Daisuke Ikeda beat Yoshinari Ogawa & Ricky Marvin (12:16) when Ikeda used a brainbuster on Marvin.
3. Takeshi Morishima beat Go Shiosaki (4:45) with a backdrop.
4. Jun Akiyama & Makoto Hashi beat Akitoshi Saito & Shuhei Taniguchi (15:56) when Hashi pinned Taniguchi after Akiyama used the Exploder.
5. Akira Taue, Mushiking Terry, Taiji Ishimori & Atsushi Aoki beat SUWA, TARU, Shuji Kondo & "brother" YASSHI (15:02) when Taue used the Ore Ga Taue on SUWA.
6. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Takashi Sugiura & Yoshinobu Kanemaru (c) beat NOSAWA & MAZADA (26:06) when Kanemaru used the Touch Out on NOSAWA. (1st defense)
7. Takeshi Rikio, Mohammed Yone & KENTA beat Yoshihiro Takayama, Minoru Suzuki & Takuma Sano (22:44) when Rikio used the Muso on Sano.
8. GHC Heavyweight Title: Mitsuharu Misawa beat Naomichi Marufuji (c) (25:32) with an avalanche-style Emerald Frosion to become the 11th champion.

Didn't even give him an chance. I understand a one last nostalgia run for Misawa, but now was not the right time.

Also Go didn't even last five minutes with Morishima. So much for proving himself.

And to top it all off SUWA's retiring. Today is a sad day indeed.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Raffles posted:

From Green Destiny:

Didn't even give him an chance. I understand a one last nostalgia run for Misawa, but now was not the right time.

Also Go didn't even last five minutes with Morishima. So much for proving himself.

And to top it all off SUWA's retiring. Today is a sad day indeed.

For real, that is one of the dumbest things I've seen in quite a while. When they signed that Misawa/Marufuji match, I thought it was a sign that Misawa was finally going to put one of those young lions over and finally start trying to build the next generation.

I guess the real attendance figure for the October Marufuji/KENTA main event really was as dire as The Meltz indicated, and Misawa decided that Marufuji wasn't ready to keep the belt or something.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'm guessing that this is one last title win for Misawa, where it wasn't clear that he was through with titles in '03.

NJ also had a big show, and Tanahashi retained over Nakamura so we'll get Tanahashi vs Kea (ick) and probably Nakamura vs Kawada.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I love Marufuji, but this won't be the last chance to make him a star. Misawa is broken down right now, if they waited much longer for his final title run it'd be a complete embarassment. Right now he can at least help pick up the gates as they wait for Kobashi to come back and transition the belt onto Morishima next year.

If they want Marufuji to be a big star in the company, there will be more chances in the future.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Raffles posted:

It was to set Morishima up for a title shot vs Misawa at the 1/21/07 Budokan :unsmith:

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ditch posted:

I'm guessing that this is one last title win for Misawa, where it wasn't clear that he was through with titles in '03.

NJ also had a big show, and Tanahashi retained over Nakamura so we'll get Tanahashi vs Kea (ick) and probably Nakamura vs Kawada.

For some reason Nakamura/Kawada is my most anticipated match at the moment. I hope they confirm it soon so the joyous countdown really begins. I can't believe that I'm looking forward to this Tokyo Dome show so much.

Also that NJ show looks so much more appealing to me than NOAH's. Times are a changing.

Edit: But why did he have to squash Go, a future top guy? Why not someone like Ogawa or Honda?

Raffles fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 11, 2006

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Raffles posted:

Edit: But why did he have to squash Go, a future top guy? Why not someone like Ogawa or Honda?
Well that's the more sensible route but eh, nobody will remember Go getting squashed at this point. I mean, 3 years ago Takayama beat Morishima in about the same amount of time at a Budokan show.

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster
So, if 6-1-93 is the "lesser" of the matches with that quartet, I can't wait to view the other two.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
TOKYO SPORTS AWARDS~!

MVP - Minoru Suzuki
Match of the year - KENTA vs. Naomichi Marufuji 10/29 Budokan Hall
Tag Team of the year - Voodoo Murderers
Most Outstanding - Naomichi Marufuji
Fighting Spirit - Hiroshi Tanahashi
Best Technical - CIMA
Rookie of the Year - Razor Ramon H.G.
Comeback of the Year - Yoshihiro Takayama

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/63406
THIS WEEK: More bitching.

HwoodNG posted:

So, if 6-1-93 is the "lesser" of the matches with that quartet, I can't wait to view the other two.
There were eight :eng101:

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Ditch posted:

There were eight :eng101:

Shows what I know. Will we be seeing all eight?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

HwoodNG posted:

Shows what I know. Will we be seeing all eight?
If I can get 'em up. It's actually nine by the way. I'm hosting four right now, I've got one ready to go, I've got one or two that I'm confident will get capped and put online within a reasonable amount of time, and the last two might fall through the cracks for a while.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
New Jr. Heavyweight Champ in NOAH

quote:

SEM, 12/23/06 (G+)
Tokyo Differ Ariake
1,300 Fans

1. Taiji Ishimori beat Ippei Ota (9:23) via pinfall.
2. Kotaro Suzuki beat Atsushi Aoki (12:11) with a modified Tombstone Piledriver.
3. SUWA beat Tsutomu Hirayanagi (7:20) with the FFF.
4. Yoshinobu Kanemaru beat Ebesan Hansen (4:47) with the Deep Impact.
5. Mohammed Yone beat Ricky Marvin (10:23) with a Muscle Buster.
6. Takeshi Rikio beat Shuhei Taniguchi (11:37) with the Muso.
7. Naomichi Marufuji beat Go Shiosaki (15:25) with a modified reverse cross armbreaker.
8. Takeshi Morishima vs. KENTA went to a draw (20:00) when the time limit expired.
9. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title: Tatsuhito Takaiwa beat Takashi Sugiura (22:31) with the Takaiwa Driver to become the 12th champion.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Captain Charisma posted:

New Jr. Heavyweight Champ in NOAH

Marufuji vs. Shiosaki is the match I want to see most on that card. I guess I could probably stand to see Takaiwa win the belt too, I've always liked him.

"Ebesan Hansen" makes me hope he was doing a Western Lariat gimmick.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Ebestan was born last year on some Ebessan-booked show. He plays it pretty straight, and that makes it work.

Takaiwa now has as many GHC junior title wins as KENTA and Marufuji combined :aaa:

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Why did Sasaki wrestle 3 times on 1/4/01?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
He vacated the IWGP title and they did a 1-night tourney.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Briscoes vs Sugiura/Kanemaru for the GHC junior tag belts on 1/7. Just FYI.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
loving aces, I love that they finally seem to have decided to put those belts to use again.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Boco_T posted:

Marufuji vs. Shiosaki is the match I want to see most on that card. I guess I could probably stand to see Takaiwa win the belt too, I've always liked him.

"Ebesan Hansen" makes me hope he was doing a Western Lariat gimmick.

I actually have the match where Ebestan Hansen was born, and he plays it to the hilt, just like his Flair impersonation.

Had he been in the states for Final Battle, I would have enjoyed Nigel facing Joe's replacement; Samoa Joebessan.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/63645
This week: Big in '06, to-be-Big in '07 guessing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Any predictions on the number paid will be for the Tokyo Dome show?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
10-20 thousand. Including discounted "emergency" tickets.

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

How long until the the M2K name is used again? I'll say 2008.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

HwoodNG posted:

How long until the the M2K name is used again? I'll say 2008.
Well it was FINAL M2K, so I'd hope that would be decisive. I bet they don't do more than one-off reunions in the future.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/fight/other/photo/200612/10/a07/p09.html
:aaa:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ditch posted:

JESUS CHRIST :gonk:

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster

Ditch posted:

Hello new wallpaper!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Ditch posted:

What's up with this one, it just gives me some SQL error ... The URL seems to be correct though, when I go to Inside Pulse it gives me the same result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
IP sucks rear end and I'm moving the bulk of my work after issue 100.