Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ditch posted:

Kurt Angle. New Japan. February 18th.

I bet he faces Giant Bernard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
They aren't paying this much for him for that. It took them 7 matches before they ran Lesnar vs Bernard after all :)

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/64045
THIS WEEK: Angle in NJ.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
I've found that a good sign of match quality is if Kawada is wearing his big match false teeth.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Monster Ripper matches are hard to watch if Rhonda Singh is wearing a low cut top.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

RheinholdMessner posted:

I've found that a good sign of match quality is if Kawada is wearing his big match false teeth.
He lost his teeth at some unknown point in the '90s, and had a full set before then during most of the super-duper great run. I don't know that he's worn falsies at any time.

Giedroyc posted:

Monster Ripper matches are hard to watch if Rhonda Singh is wearing a low cut top.
:barf:

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Bison Kimura thinks she's got the costume contest sown up with her horns and matching helmet.

Until COWBOY "MANAMI" TOYOTA and Esther Moreno debut a startling new look.

*cough* I'll go back to lurking now...

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl

Ditch posted:

He lost his teeth at some unknown point in the '90s, and had a full set before then during most of the super-duper great run. I don't know that he's worn falsies at any time.

:barf:
he had teeth in your favourite match of all time, but I didn't think he had them in his draw with misawa from the carnival. I could be wrong.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
All I know is that when Kawada doesn't have the teeths and he puts on the stretch plum, and grimmaces, that's what my college roommate and I called 'the money shot'.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Green Destiny posted:

NOAH, 1/21/07 (NTV/G+)
Tokyo Nippon Budokan
15,500 Fans - Super No Vacancy

1. Kentaro Shiga, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Dakota beat Mohammed Yone, Taiji Ishimori & Atsushi Aoki (14:33) when Kanemaru used the Touch Out on Aoki.
2. Akitoshi Saito, Masao Inoue & Kishin Kawabata beat Tamon Honda, Junji Izumida & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi (14:42) when Inoue used a schoolboy on Izumida.
3. Akira Taue beat Makoto Hashi (9:11) with a cradle.
4. Doug Williams & Nigel McGuinness beat Yoshinari Ogawa & Shuhei Taniguchi (10:49) when Williams used the Chaos Theory on Taniguchi.
5. Takuma Sano beat Takashi Sugiura (15:02) via referee stop after a rolling savate kick to the face.
6. Jun Akiyama beat Go Shiosaki (11:55) with the Wrist-Clutch Exploder.
7. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Kotaro Suzuki & Ricky Marvin beat Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe (c) (26:26) when Suzuki used the Blue Destiny on Mark Briscoe to become the 6th champions.
8. Takeshi Rikio, Naomichi Marufuji & KENTA beat Yoshihiro Takayama, Minoru Suzuki & SUWA (16:52) when KENTA used the Go 2 Sleep on SUWA.
9. GHC Heavyweight Title: Mitsuharu Misawa (c) beat Takeshi Morishima (20:05) with a running elbow smash (1st defense).

Nothing out of the ordinary, but looks like a quite enjoyable show. Wish Briscoes could have held onto those belts for a bit longer.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I can just about guarantee it was a better match than Sugiura/Kanemaru vs Marvin/Kotaro would have been. That's good enough for me.

Also, Misawa :argh:

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Ditch posted:

I can just about guarantee it was a better match than Sugiura/Kanemaru vs Marvin/Kotaro would have been. That's good enough for me.

Also, Misawa :argh:

I'm not as familiar with NOAH as I am as the local stuff, but based on the discussions on the ROH thread... wasn't Morishima THEE guy?

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

TUS posted:

I'm not as familiar with NOAH as I am as the local stuff, but based on the discussions on the ROH thread... wasn't Morishima THEE guy?

He will be the guy in a year or two, but at the moment he's not quite there yet. Opinion seems to be divided about whether Misawa should hold the strap at the moment, but really, it's what the Japanese fans want, and if it leads him to taking on Kobashi when he comes back hten I'm all for it.

In short, wait until next year for Morishima to get his big win and become THE guy.

EDIT:
Okay just read this on the Green Destiny boards, posted by RD who some may know as the guy who runs and reports on the Green Destiny site.

quote:

Reports from Japan that Misawa was legit injured during the main event, on what I believe was a powerbomb on the outside. Misawa was unable to move after the finish and was rushed to hospital without the traditional champions interview or backstage interview. From the sound of things the main did not go to plan at all.

Some speculation that this could be a work instead, but that'd be pretty unprecidented for NOAH. Early reports suggest that the main was underwhelming and bothced-filled.

Raffles fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 21, 2007

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Raffles posted:

Nothing out of the ordinary, but looks like a quite enjoyable show. Wish Briscoes could have held onto those belts for a bit longer.

They always seemed like transitional champions to me. I mean I doubt if one of their opponents were injured that they would have gotten them at all.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Raffles posted:

He will be the guy in a year or two, but at the moment he's not quite there yet. Opinion seems to be divided about whether Misawa should hold the strap at the moment, but really, it's what the Japanese fans want, and if it leads him to taking on Kobashi when he comes back hten I'm all for it.

In short, wait until next year for Morishima to get his big win and become THE guy.
I really don't want to see another Misawa vs Kobashi match at this point. Misawa has forgotten how to work a smart match and he drat sure isn't up to a 30 minute heavyweight spotfest.

Morishima needs to go over Misawa, Kobashi or Akiyama before too long. I don't see any reason NOT to pull the trigger on him. What about him is "not quite there" after NOAH has put the belt on Yoshinari Ogawa, Rikio and Marufuji? Hell, Morishima is more 'there' than Akiyama at this point.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ditch posted:

I really don't want to see another Misawa vs Kobashi match at this point. Misawa has forgotten how to work a smart match and he drat sure isn't up to a 30 minute heavyweight spotfest.

Morishima needs to go over Misawa, Kobashi or Akiyama before too long. I don't see any reason NOT to pull the trigger on him. What about him is "not quite there" after NOAH has put the belt on Yoshinari Ogawa, Rikio and Marufuji? Hell, Morishima is more 'there' than Akiyama at this point.

Personally, I don't want him to get that final push yet because I don't want him to fail like Ogawa, Rikio and Marufuji did. I'd rather see a Misawa nostlagia run and a Kobashi rematch, becuase although it won't be straight out of 1996 it'll still be great spectacle.

For NOAH, they are giving the fans what they want. They want to see Misawa hold the belt one last time and I'm pretty sure that another Misawa/Kobashi match will do great business. I believe that NOAH are holding off on Morishima so they can rinse every last yen from Misawa before he totally breaks down.

As far as Morishima being 'not quite there' I just felt that booking wise they hadn't pushed him hard enough. Fair enough he's the got the tag belt, but personally I would have given him a bit more momentum going into his first GHC Title win than a 5 minute squash of Shiosaki (and it was a squash).

Talent-wise I think Morishima is loving great and probably one of the best workers NOAH has at the moment. And I agree they need to push him sooner rather than later. However, I don't see anything wrong with them holding off for a little bit longer, as long as they do give him a big rub eventually.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Business-wise I can see wanting to milk Misawa as much as possible, however it would have been nice to build up Morishima a bit more before his loss here. He gets a few wins and then bam, loss.

One last Misawa run ---> one last Kobashi run ---> Morishima would probably work out. I hope that's where they're going with it anyway, because besides those three I don't see any NOAH full-timers that should be holding the strap right now.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ditch posted:

Business-wise I can see wanting to milk Misawa as much as possible, however it would have been nice to build up Morishima a bit more before his loss here. He gets a few wins and then bam, loss.

One last Misawa run ---> one last Kobashi run ---> Morishima would probably work out. I hope that's where they're going with it anyway, because besides those three I don't see any NOAH full-timers that should be holding the strap right now.

I agree with you there. They really need to work on building some new, fresh upper-mid carders. I hope to god they know what they're doing with Shiosaki. I mean I know he's years off getting the title, but I hope they've got a plan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Would this even be the ONE LAST Kobashi run this time? It seems like coming back from his time off, even if it was spent with cancer it is still less wear and tear on him.

Add to that the fact he was having a darn good run before cancer seems to indicate he could have a real run with a belt before having a nostalgia trip a bit more down the road.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
He's a lot more broken down than he let on. Thus coming up with 79 ways to do chops. He can't handle two more substantial title runs, the last took a ton out of him.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
Is Taue still full-time? He might not be able to work super long epics anymore, but a title where that consists of him squashing Akiyama once a month would be fine by me.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Yeah he's still full-time. And he should be squashing Ogawa.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Chris Hero to NOAH! :aaa:

quote:

Foreigners Announced for "Navigate for Evolution '07" by RD - 26 Jan 2007
-Bison Smith (All shows)
-Doug Williams (All shows)
-Bobby Fish (All shows)
-Chris Hero (All shows)
http://noah.puroresufan.com/

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'm trying to think of what non-TNA non-Dragon Gate ROH guys would be a nice fit in NOAH after they've used Nigel, AmDrag, the Briscoes and now Hero. Um.... Davey?

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster

Ditch posted:

I'm trying to think of what non-TNA non-Dragon Gate ROH guys would be a nice fit in NOAH after they've used Nigel, AmDrag, the Briscoes and now Hero. Um.... Davey?

How do you think NOAH fans would respond to Delirious?

JakBauer
Nov 13, 2003

BAH BAH BAH

Ditch posted:

Castagnoli would be a good fit too.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Chief Rebel Angel posted:

How do you think NOAH fans would respond to Delirious?
A lot of his comedy comes from the occasional audible English word/phrase. His goofiness strikes me as more American, where someone like Ebessan is more adaptable.

JakBauer posted:

Castagnoli would be a good fit too.
I'm guessing that if his visa is causing him to be unable to go to WWE, Japan is right out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Bobby Dempsey is the next Vader.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Speaking of that isn't it time to bail on the students already I mean really :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Speaking of that isn't it time to bail on the students already I mean really :colbert:

The Dempseys seem to have potential and Pelle might turn out alright, but for the most part yeah they need to dump them.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/64407

This week: My take on the first Angle booking. Plus a link to my views on ROH in Japan and the waning years of Misawa.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Speaking of Misawa, I saw that someone reputable is selling a Misawa vs Kawada feud comp. 14 discs, spans 17 years and has 39 matches. It's $56, but I'm definitely considering getting it, especially after reading your articles on the feud, Ditch. Think it's a worthy investment?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I already have so much of it online in good video quality, and I have little doubt that more will be vidcapped this year. Patience!

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.
Is your Misawa-Kawada feud history in some of the Puro Pulses? I'm interested in reading about their full history, so that I understand some of the matches more.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

thatguyclint posted:

Is your Misawa-Kawada feud history in some of the Puro Pulses? I'm interested in reading about their full history, so that I understand some of the matches more.
Go back a page, starting at Jan 11 and the "best match ever" column. Then I have a post with lots more All Japan match pimping/backstories.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
From my limited understanding of Japanese language and culture, I've been able to piece together this as the beginning and motivation for their feud:

Someone left Misawa's cake out in the rain, and he just couldn't take it, because it took so long to make, and he'll never have that recipe again. Oh no.

He blamed Kawada when he found some loose teeth sitting by the remains of his beloved dessert. Kawada said he didn't know poo poo about any cakes, but Misawa didn't believe him. Kawada was offended by these allegations, and Misawa was very torn up about the cake. Things escalated pretty quickly from there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RheinholdMessner posted:

From my limited understanding of Japanese language and culture, I've been able to piece together this as the beginning and motivation for their feud:

Someone left Misawa's cake out in the rain, and he just couldn't take it, because it took so long to make, and he'll never have that recipe again. Oh no.

He blamed Kawada when he found some loose teeth sitting by the remains of his beloved dessert. Kawada said he didn't know poo poo about any cakes, but Misawa didn't believe him. Kawada was offended by these allegations, and Misawa was very torn up about the cake. Things escalated pretty quickly from there.

Dude this is Japan.

The feud is based on the fact that Misawa is trying to prevent Kawada from getting all the jewel shards so that Misawa can then assemble all the Dragon Ballz. To stop that Kawada turned Misawa into a little kid who had to solve crimes or some poo poo, which is why he was Tiger Mask for awhile to cover up the fact he was only 8. Then there's some tentacles and incest and you have the recipe for pretty much any AJPW feud.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
They're feuding because Misawa caught Kawada tapping into the spirit force of the ghost world for his power, upsetting the great Tiger in the sky :eng101:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

They're feuding because Misawa caught Kawada tapping into the spirit force of the ghost world for his power, upsetting the great Tiger in the sky :eng101:

Can you confirm or deny the rumor that Misawa and Kawada are actually giant robots made up of several smaller robots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ditch posted:

I already have so much of it online in good video quality, and I have little doubt that more will be vidcapped this year. Patience!

Yeah I was about to buy a WON MOTY comp when I realized most are up on your sites :shobon: