Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crackstar
May 9, 2003

coiol posted:

Don't try to make moves at .25/.50. It's entirely unnecessary and you'll develop bad habits.

This seems like really horrible, over-generalized advice from someone who probably hasn't played these stakes in ages. You should adjust your play to the opponents you're playing against. The toughness of NL50 is also site dependent and much different now than in the past. I've been playing on UB for the last ~6 weeks that level, and there are generally 2-3 multi-tabling regulars running HUD and tracker at any table that I'm at, most of whom are 2+2ers. All of these guys are thinking players that are vulnerable to the complex moves that lose you money against donks.

I'm going to make a general comment also. I also think that people are too dogmatic about what constitutes "correct" play. They have rules that they have been successful with that they treat as law, and these rules may or may not actually be theoretically correct. "Never limp at 6-max" is a good example that you constantly see people spout as gospel. Somehow your bankroll will instantly explode and disapear if you start limping 22-55 UTG at a 6-max table. Obviously this is not the case, and as part of a balanced strategy would be fine. The problem is that such a balanced strategy is too hard for most people to figure out, so their solution is to raise everything they play. "Never min-raise, always make it 3.5x(or 3x or 4x)" is another one. Bill Chen argues that a different, position-dependent model using smaller raises is correct.

That said, I generally adhere to both of the above rules in the 6-max games that I play in. My point is just that whenever someone just comes out with "always do x" and nothing to back it up with, it's good to at least be skeptical and try to figure out why before you blindly incorporate it into your strategy. "Always 3-bet your playable hands" can be especially dangerous if you don't understand why you're doing it. There are a lot of different ways to win at poker, and playing someone else's strategy without understanding why probably isn't going to be one of them.

I'm not trying to stir up poo poo, just throwing that out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somewhat
Sep 11, 2001

there is poo over there!!!

crackstar posted:

This seems like really horrible, over-generalized advice from someone who probably hasn't played these stakes in ages.

Not really, beating the low limits is playing ABC poker, because generally, you're playing against people who don't know advanced theory, what "making moves" are, and advanced pot odds and whatnot. That advice is general, but it's general for a reason.

As for the hand that cricket joe played, he played it awful. There's no need to float somebody with T high, especially when he has so little money behind. You could make an argument for floating him there and making a move on the turn a) if you bet more and b) both of you were deeper. It looks like you were just getting bored. He's not calling with air after you raise him in a 3 way pot, and he's certainly beating ten high. No need to get involved there at all, just fold and wait for a better spot.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

crackstar posted:

:words:

He tells him to not make moves because the majority of NL50 players can't fold top pair or flush draws. You can just play solid poker and make money at that level by value betting the poo poo out of people.

Why would you not bet an ace on that board, but suddenly you are checkraising the turn which is another Ace? I'm not surprised someone would call there with a Jack or flush draw since it isn't a normal line for an Ace in a limped pot, since I think you'd be trying to take it down on the flop.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.

crackstar posted:

I'm going to make a general comment also. I also think that people are too dogmatic about what constitutes "correct" play. They have rules that they have been successful with that they treat as law, and these rules may or may not actually be theoretically correct.

I started off by playing SNG's and following a very tight and scripted playstyle that basically told me exactly what to do and when to do it. When I was playing lower stakes I'd rely a lot on what other people told me and look to others for advice, but now I tend to just think through things by myself. It may be better to start off with a simple plan that will definitely turn a profit (even if it's not the most profitable) and then develop your own style by branching out and seeing what works. There's some sort of general poker ability that basically develops with experience, but it may not be really intuitive, and I feel that it's better to start off playing tight and ending up in clear-cut situations then to mess around with marginal spots when you don't really know what you're doing. I really try to minimize variance where I can with my playstyle though.

I suppose I'll agree that is isn't necessarily horrible to openlimp once in a while in a 6-max game, and I will occasionally do it with some hands on a special table where I feel there's very little chance to take down the pot preflop, but T7s certainly isn't the hand to do it with.

crackstar
May 9, 2003

somewhat posted:

Not really, beating the low limits is playing ABC poker, because generally, you're playing against people who don't know advanced theory, what "making moves" are, and advanced pot odds and whatnot. That advice is general, but it's general for a reason.

I'm just saying to make the move fit the opponent. Against one of the regs I play that plays 16/14/3, with 40% attempt to steal and 85% C-bet frequencies, I have to bluff raise and float post flop. Against a 40/5/0.5 station that would obviously be wrong. If I played ABC against everybody at UB NL50, I would be a loser (maybe a small winner). The moderate amount I would win from the bad players would be lost to the regs who know how to pick apart ABC. Oh btw if your opponent recognizes what you're doing as "making a move" then it probably isn't a good move.

somewhat posted:

As for the hand that cricket joe played, he played it awful. There's no need to float somebody with T high, especially when he has so little money behind.

I agree with what you guys said earlier about this hand; dump it, but if you must play it raise. T7s is part of my button steal range, but I'll rarely play it elsewhere unless I'm getting very good odds or a couple people have called a raiser. I guess I should have included that before, so people wouldn't think I was advocating the play in this hand. Post-flop is a bad move not because it's at NL50, just because it's a bad move. My post wasn't really about the play of this particular hand, it was about a general trend I've seen lately for people to make ridiculous statements about what you "must" do in order to win at poker.

coiol posted:

I feel that it's better to start off playing tight and ending up in clear-cut situations then to mess around with marginal spots when you don't really know what you're doing.

I agree with this completely, but I think a lot of the rote plays that work for more experienced players can get someone with less experience in a lot of trouble. A beginner is probably better off limping 22 UTG in 6-max than raising, getting a call, and facing a raise of his C-bet on a nondescript board. 3-betting light can also result in tough spots when you face aggression post-flop.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Playing with about 350 euros behind at 1/2PL, I cover both players involved in this hand. I am one off the button and a blind bet has been placed so it is 4 euro to call. 4 limpers to me, I limp with A6o, Button limps SB/BB all come along. Everyone comes along in a huge family pot.

Flop comes AQ6 all rainbow. Everyone checks over to me and I bet about 35 euros. I actually intended to bet about 30 or so but I misread the pot for having more chips. I feel that I have the best hand here and there's no point in checking and I might induce someone to raise me. Folds to the SB who reraises to 75. SB has not done too much out of line. I definitely have shown down pretty strong hands and although I could have easily been trying to steal the pot, I doubt he would have raised me with air here. Everyone else folds to the guy to my right, who IMMEDIATELY pots it to 200+. Hero???

I know right now I am ahead of one of them. I just don't believe any of them limped Aces/Queens even AQ in this situation is so unlikely that I put them holding these hands at 5-10%. Aces/Queens could have easily popped it a good amount and would want that to prevent everyone at the table from seeing a flop.

So what is the likelyhood that one of them holds the only hand that beats me? Given that I only believe one hand beats me, and two people have shown strength on this board, can I fold this since I have only put 35 euros into the pot? Essentially here I need to either fold or push but I don't know how often one of these players needs to have 66 in order for me to fold.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

crackstar posted:

A beginner is probably better off limping 22 UTG in 6-max than raising, getting a call, and facing a raise of his C-bet on a nondescript board.

Is this joke advice? Sounds like the easiest situation ever in poker.

crackstar
May 9, 2003

LuckySevens posted:

Is this joke advice? Sounds like the easiest situation ever in poker.

Ok, bad example. Substitute whatever tough situation you feel like then.

Doddery Meerkat
Aug 6, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Heres a micro hand, just want to check my reasoning.

Cake .10 /.2 NL

Important Stacks:

Bartonbud : 5.10
JCROY: 27.00
7TheMick: 2.10

I'm Bartonbud UTG with AKo and raise it to .80.
JCROY pops it to 5 bucks, TheMick calls his 2.10, blinds fold and it is back to me.

Hero : ?

JCroy seems pretty active but usually plays good hands and everyone sees me play good hands. No real read on Mick.

I figure someone has a decent pocket pair and the other one has some of my outs to that (most likely a bad ace IMO). Bad reasoning? Standard? I get lost with AK a lot.

Doddery Meerkat fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 20, 2007

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
It's cake.. I get it in without thinking twice about it.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

Doddery Meerkat posted:

Micro

At these stakes and with your short stack shove it in. Don't look at it as one of them having your outs because you think they hold a common card. Look at it as you have at least one person in the hand dominated and your likely coin flipping with the other player.

If someone has AA/KK that's just rough.

tightshirt
Aug 7, 2006

Scrubed posted:

At these stakes and with your short stack shove it in. Don't look at it as one of them having your outs because you think they hold a common card. Look at it as you have at least one person in the hand dominated and your likely coin flipping with the other player.

If someone has AA/KK that's just rough.

Much less of a coinflip if the other person has an A or K

quote:

As Kh 485483 35.42 859690 62.72 25581 1.87 0.363
8c Ad 260394 19.00 1084779 79.14 25581 1.87 0.199
6s 6c 599296 43.72 767779 56.01 3679 0.27 0.438
or

quote:

As Kh 496432 36.22 859735 62.72 14587 1.06 0.367
8c Kd 260394 19.00 1095773 79.94 14587 1.06 0.195
6s 6c 599341 43.72 767725 56.01 3688 0.27 0.438

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

tightshirt posted:

Much less of a coinflip if the other person has an A or K

I know the math is a bit different, but assuming equal stacks you are still flipping because your equity is right around 33%.

Doddery Meerkat
Aug 6, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

p0isonxfree posted:

I know the math is a bit different, but assuming equal stacks you are still flipping because your equity is right around 33%.

So even if I have a strong feeling one of my cards is taken I should still go for it?

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
My post from the bottom of last page has been forgotten. Any comments?

Kase Im Licht posted:

.25/.50. I've got $40, SB has $20, BB has $100. SB is an idiot, limping with all sorts of garbage, calling raises he shouldn't with mediocre hands and overvaluing any pair post flop. BB has made some questionable to slightly bad plays, but mostly has just had some good hands and hasn't had to do much. Don't really have much of a feel for him.

On button with A7. One caller, I call. SB minrases, BB calls, other guy calls, I call.

Flop: 7hJs7c - SB bets $1. BB calls, 1 fold, I call.

Turn: Kh - SB checks, BB bets $3, I raise to $7, they both call.

River: Ks - SB checks, BB bets $8, ...

Raise the flop? Bet more on turn? River?

full ring

Kase Im Licht fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 20, 2007

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Full ring or 6max?

6max I raise the flop because I raise almost any flop. :v:

Full ring I play flop and turn as played (maybe a slightly bigger raise, but that's mostly personal preference) and then fold the river. I might call the river if I was last to act. I don't bother raising the flop here because there's not much we're scared of that doesn't already have us beat.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
NL50

The PFR is pretty loose/bad. Villian is above average aggression postflop, but less so preflop.

Hero (BB): $68.50
Villian (UTG+1):$34.65
CO: $10
BTN: $105

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7:d: 7:s:

1 fold, Villian limps, 1 limp, CO raises to $2.50, Button calls, 1 fold, Hero calls, Villian calls.

Flop: 2:h: Q:h: 3:s: Pot: $10.75

Hero bets $7.50, Villian calls, 2 folds.

Turn: 2:h: Q:h: 3:s: 4:d: Pot: $25.75

Hero checks, Villian checks.

River: 2:h: Q:h: 3:s: 4:d: 8:c: Pot: $25.75

Hero checks, Villian bets $24.65 (all in), Hero...

I think preflop is pretty standard so I don't have any questions here.

On the flop, what do you guys think of the lead? Do you fire again on the turn? Now that we've gotten to the river this way, do we call or fold? I think the river is probably the street I am most sure about, though, so I am more interested in discussion of the flop and turn.

In the midst of a terminal downswing, I am trying to improve my play with some hands, and mid-small pairs are one of them. Any advice or criticism of this hand would be appreciated.

toybux fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 21, 2007

crackstar
May 9, 2003
Looks like a lot like a missed heart draw. If he's usually very aggro post-flop he would raise/bet somewhere on the flop or turn with a Q, though it's possible he's being tricky or scared of your donk-bet. Something with an 8 would probably check behind to see a showdown. I think a set is unlikely because he would bet/raise it with this board. I definitely would call the river expecting to see hearts a lot more than 1/3 of the time.

What were you thinking when you decided to bet the flop? I can think of good reasons both to bet (picking up the pot, protecting your hand since it's likely to be good) and check (somewhat coordinated flop with a high card in a 4-way pot, difficulty of playing 77 on the turn/river if overs fall), and I'm curious what pushed you one way or the other. I think once you've made the decision to play it aggressively, you should bet the turn also (unless you were betting solely to try to pick up the pot). If you were good on the flop, you're likely still good on this turn.

Loveboat
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
toybux:

I don't love the bet on the flop. I can't really see what you gain by having a weak made hand that can't stand a raise anywhere in your donkbet-range here.

Now, since we can pretty much remove AA/KK from your hand, it comes down to whether or not you play a good Q or a set/twopair the same way. And do you check the turn here with the good made hands? If you do, you don't have to call here now since you will have a good calling hand on the river here enough times. If you don't, your hand is pretty transparent, and you should fold and reevaluate your strategy. :)

You're not deep enough to bluff the turn here, by the way. You decided to bluff the flop for some reason, and got called. Give up.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Loveboat posted:

toybux:

I don't love the bet on the flop. I can't really see what you gain by having a weak made hand that can't stand a raise anywhere in your donkbet-range here.

Board is very dry and they don't need to fold very often for him to win bux. Also given stack sizes call pf is very -EV if he doesn't win some of the time that he doesn't flop sets.

Also if action goes toybux donks flop (putting CO ai) -> CO shoves -> villain folds, I am sure that toybux figures to be in a very +EV situation given a) overlay in pot b) CO's range.

crackstar
May 9, 2003

blah_blah posted:

Board is very dry and they don't need to fold very often for him to win bux. Also given stack sizes call pf is very -EV if he doesn't win some of the time that he doesn't flop sets.

I'm not sure this is the case here. All it takes is a pot-sized bet somewhere when he hits for him to break even if he plays just to hit a set. If it were heads up, I think you might be right. That said, I think occasionally making a move will definitely increase your expectation.

AmnesiaLab
Nov 9, 2004

Stark raving sane.

blah_blah posted:

What? He's got a 137BB stack and one of the callers has him covered, not to mention the other two in the pot. The 20BB stack is negligible, but there's a 69BB stack likely to be in the mix, too. There's more than enough behind for this to be reasonable. Even if you expect a flop push from the CO, he'll be short enough that it might not scare everyone off, and betting out the flop makes it far less likely he'll get involved.

That said, I'm all for taking down some pots without a set. This is a perfectly reasonable flop for a probe. I'd usually bet more like 6 if I thought about it, to potentially save some money and leave the pot v. stack left behind at a slightly more awkward level for the villain-- some people around this level really hate to overbet, so they'll try to make silly bets to get more in on two different streets, which is an alarm bell. I'm not saying it'll work often, but it makes things slightly rockier for the villain. Given the read, I doubt he has much of a problem overbetting. Honestly, though, I'd probably just see the CO had 7.50 left behind and bet that automatically if I was going to bet at all.

You can't fire this turn. He only has a PSB behind, so betting anything will lead to a push if he's going to play, and you'll be getting huge odds to call even when you're normally dead.

By the river, this positively reeks of a busted draw. He could have been playing A5 and you're wrecked, sure, but there's not much else here to be afraid of, unless he's clueless at the river. Pushing with a queen will only net him a call when he's beaten. He's either trying to buy it, or he's desperate to get paid. The way he played this, is looks like a clear bluff. If he was making a value bet, he wouldn't be pushing. You bet the flop and shut down after you got called. There's absolutely no reason for him to believe you'd call a push here unless he's got a read that large bets make you suspicious and you like to snap off bluffs.

You might run into the odd two pair (probably only Q8, really) or straight here on occasion, but not nearly enough to make this river a fold, in my opinion. You have have a read. Use it. He's trying to buy this one most of the time.

crackstar
May 9, 2003

AmnesiaLab posted:

I'd usually bet more like 6 if I thought about it, to potentially save some money and leave the pot v. stack left behind at a slightly more awkward level for the villain-- some people around this level really hate to overbet, so they'll try to make silly bets to get more in on two different streets, which is an alarm bell. I'm not saying it'll work often, but it makes things slightly rockier for the villain. Given the read, I doubt he has much of a problem overbetting. Honestly, though, I'd probably just see the CO had 7.50 left behind and bet that automatically if I was going to bet at all.

Is 6 the bet you would make if you had a Q, a set, or when semi-bluffing with 2 hearts or 45? The typical bet I would make with one of those hands on this flop would be between 3/4 and full pot. I don't usually vary my bet size according to what I hold, but according to how coordinated the flop is unless I have a specific reason to do otherwise. If you're adjusting do to the weird stack sizes in order to make the pot the size you want then that's fine, but betting different amounts with bluffs, semi bluffs and made hands is bad.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

AmnesiaLab posted:

What? He's got a 137BB stack and one of the callers has him covered

Didn't notice button, sorry. That makes the flop donk a lot shakier. Note that betting 7.50 on the flop is pretty strong since it precisely puts CO ai.

AmnesiaLab
Nov 9, 2004

Stark raving sane.

crackstar posted:

Is 6 the bet you would make if you had a Q, a set, or when semi-bluffing with 2 hearts or 45? The typical bet I would make with one of those hands on this flop would be between 3/4 and full pot. I don't usually vary my bet size according to what I hold, but according to how coordinated the flop is unless I have a specific reason to do otherwise. If you're adjusting do to the weird stack sizes in order to make the pot the size you want then that's fine, but betting different amounts with bluffs, semi bluffs and made hands is bad.

I would make the same bet with a wide variety of hands. It's not about what I'm holding; it's about the situation. This is a probe, not a continuation. This is a hand that you can't play without definition. Checking tells you nothing, and is highly likely to lead to the CO pushing for his remaining 7.50 anyway if it gets to him and no one has shown interest.

On the other hand, betting out limits everyone's range. The CO has no fold equity on any reasonable bet made here, so he'll generally get out of the way-- or, if he's as bad as advertised, push anyway with unpaired broadways or other weak holdings. Everyone else knows that, so they know you've got something. Their reaction is how you gauge your hand. Trying to make the pot an awkward size in relation to the probable stack sizes behind puts them in a trickier spot, letting you get a better feel for their reaction.

I prefer smaller probe sizes because it tells you more, in my experience. This is largely a bet for information. If they smoothcall a smallish bet, most of the time they're not very strong. If they raise it, you know to get out now (or see if they're willing to go all-in when you probe with something like a set). If they fold to bets like this frequently, it's easily exploitable. Etc, etc.

blah_blah posted:

Didn't notice button, sorry. That makes the flop donk a lot shakier. Note that betting 7.50 on the flop is pretty strong since it precisely puts CO ai.

I figured you'd missed something there.

As for probing the flop here, this is just a matter of whether you want to play the hand at all or whether you're just in it for set value. If you want to play for set value, fine. Check-fold. End of problem. If you're willing to play a mid pair without hitting the board or flopping an overpair, this is a good flop for it. A bet on the flop is required if you're going to play this hand. I'm not saying you have to play it; playing mid pairs always takes some post-flop acumen, and doing it out of position is trickier. If you're not comfortable doing it, don't. If you are comfortable doing it, you'd better be comfortable betting this flop, because otherwise you have no idea where you are which just aggrevates the fact that you're out of position.

Like I said, due to stack size and position, the CO is likely to push if it checks to him; there's only one guy behind, the pot is larger than his preflop stack was, and he has less than a PSB remaining. It's a good spot to take a shot. The button might know this and call light, particularly if the CO is a lousy player, as per the read. Overall, that doesn't necessarily narrow the button's range for you; he could have hit something. He could be drawing (as he'd be getting outstanding odds, paying 7.5 to see a pot of 18.25 to the river-- close to 2.5:1, when a heart draw is 1.8:1 to hit, and it anyone check-calls, it just makes his odds better and he still has position, likely to get a free card), and he may even just have a good ace and figure it's good enough against the CO's range. With the action in front, though, you've got little chance to improve and should let it go, when being more aggressive on the flop would give you the chance to take the initiative and change the entire line of the hand.

If you're just in it for some set mining, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you're looking to get some value out of this hand otherwise, you're going to have a hard time doing it if you don't bet this flop.

Edit: That said, given toybux's mention of his "terminal downswing", this certainly isn't the type of hand you want to dance with if your confidence is shaken. Keep it simple and setmine if you're downswinging; it's too tempting to go farther and farther if you're gradually tilting from a downswing. If you're not on an even keel with your game, then don't get involved.

AmnesiaLab fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 23, 2007

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

A couple of semibluffs:

History: This guy and I have tangled a couple of times before; I've gotten the better of him every time and he's probably a little frustrated.

Hand 1:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?930392

Hand 2 occurs maybe 5 hands later; I strongly suspect that he is 4betting me light. I think I have no FE on the flop based on prior events so I just call. Should I let him 3barrel me?

http://www.pokerhand.org/?930391

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 23, 2007

Loveboat
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax

blah_blah posted:

Should I let him 3barrel me?

Yes.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback

AmnesiaLab posted:

Edit: That said, given toybux's mention of his "terminal downswing", this certainly isn't the type of hand you want to dance with if your confidence is shaken. Keep it simple and setmine if you're downswinging; it's too tempting to go farther and farther if you're gradually tilting from a downswing. If you're not on an even keel with your game, then don't get involved.

My downswing is of the variety of "flop nuts, lose" or "flop 2nd nuts vs nuts" and not the omgtiltwhatamidoing variety. Amnesia's thinking is pretty close to my own here in terms of playing this hand. I called river, and villain had 9:h:6:h: and MHIG.

I think that leading into the PFR is something that most people should be doing more than they do.

souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR
http://www.pokerhand.org/?932724

no info on this guy

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

souLjah posted:

no info on this guy

I would go for it. He raised preflop, so my best guess is he has Ax, and thinks it's good with ATT33. Or, he could have JJ QQ or KK. You're only hurting if he has a T or a 3, and I wouldn't imagine those to be likely. It's possible he could have TT, but I think the odds are with you on this one.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

souLjah posted:

no info on this guy

Shove over their minraise and cry if they are retarded enough to have AT. TT/33 as Narky stated isn't likely, so you have to worry about AT/KT/A3/K3 type hands, which I don't think are that likely even on Cake.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Cactus Jack posted:

Shove over their minraise and cry if they are retarded enough to have AT. TT/33 as Narky stated isn't likely, so you have to worry about AT/KT/A3/K3 type hands, which I don't think are that likely even on Cake.

Don't stop him from bluffing here; I think without reads you gain more value from snapping off river bluffs than you lose from 99+ type hands. I think if he checks river you have to take him to valuetown.

Loveboat
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax

Cactus Jack posted:

Shoving is really, really, really, really bad here.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
If you shove, he's always calling with hands you beat and may fold some hands that would have bluffed into you on the river.

If you call, you lose the same when you're beat when he bets again, but you win more when he bets into you again on the river when he wouldn't have called.

Therefore, calling and trying to pick of a bluff is better.

souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR
Thanks for your input guys, I decided to call his raise and then value bet him on the river. The river became a blank and he pushed, I thought about it and only a few hands beat me there and I couldn't put him on them. I called and he flipped over KTo, gg cake! Then he left with my money

souLjah fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 24, 2007

Loveboat
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
I'm interested in hearing a few opinions about my line here.

HJ/villain is a LAG, had him on about 35/25/6 at the moment. He's not out-of-line post-flop though. Pretty decent player.

SB and BB are both pretty laggy too. I've played a lot with BB under a different name and know he's at least capable of squeezing.

I had a semi-tight image I'd assume. I'd been careful not to cross any lines this far; only 3-betting a few times without showing hands, and had not been crazy post-flop either.

I have ~150 BB and the villain covers me.

Preflop: Hero is dealt A:d: A:c:

Villain raises 4 BB, 1 fold, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: 4:h: 5:c: T:c: Pot: 12.5 BB

BB checks, Villain bets 10 BB, Hero raises to 33.5 BB, BB folds, Villain calls.

Turn: 4:h: 5:c: T:c: Q:s: Pot: 79.5 BB

Villain checks, Hero checks.

River: 4:h: 5:c: T:c: Q:s: 8:s: Pot: 79.5 BB

Villain checks, Hero bets 106 BB (all in), Villain calls.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?

Loveboat posted:

I'm interested in hearing a few opinions about my line here.

HJ/villain is a LAG, had him on about 35/25/6 at the moment. He's not out-of-line post-flop though. Pretty decent player.

SB and BB are both pretty laggy too. I've played a lot with BB under a different name and know he's at least capable of squeezing.

I had a semi-tight image I'd assume. I'd been careful not to cross any lines this far; only 3-betting a few times without showing hands, and had not been crazy post-flop either.

I have ~150 BB and the villain covers me.

Preflop: Hero is dealt A:d: A:c:

Villain raises 4 BB, 1 fold, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: 4:h: 5:c: T:c: Pot: 12.5 BB

BB checks, Villain bets 10 BB, Hero raises to 33.5 BB, BB folds, Villain calls.

Turn: 4:h: 5:c: T:c: Q:s: Pot: 79.5 BB

Villain checks, Hero checks.

River: 4:h: 5:c: T:c: Q:s: 8:s: Pot: 79.5 BB

Villain checks, Hero bets 106 BB (all in), Villain calls.

I don't have any advice but I would like to see results out of curiousity. 95 times out of a hundred I would say you are beat here.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

faarcyde posted:

I don't have any advice but I would like to see results out of curiousity. 95 times out of a hundred I would say you are beat here.

I'd say you're beat 80-85% of the time AFTER he calls, most likely by two pair that fears a straight, and only because he's described as in-line and decent. I wouldn't be too surprised by JJ, KK, AQ, or even ATs or JJ a few times. Can you tell us why you chose this line?

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?

albedoa posted:

I'd say you're beat 80-85% of the time AFTER he calls.

Yeah that is what I meant. I would bet the turn and check through on the river if I was in your spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ
Why do you give him a free card on the turn after repopping the flop?

• Locked thread