Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ambiient
Jan 21, 2004
I always puke in situations like this and I'm not sure if I'm being floated or if I'm just sunk. Raise more pf? Are situations like this just read dependent?

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcTNxcTFxcDCx8TExMDGwIjFxs3Mxcc%3d

ambiient fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 1, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffman
Feb 4, 2004
I AM A LIAR
One of the big hands from playing live 1-2 tonight:

Effective Stacks: $1800

Reads: Villain in this case is someone who I have played with frequently, is a tricky, laggy player, and has been playing like a maniac tonight. I caught him raising k/10 from the SB already tonight by limp/3-betting JJ from the button, and got paid off. I have been playing pretty tight tonight, picking up small pots here and there, and got looked up once leading out with my nut flush draw, betting at a blank card, then stacking another player on the river which completed the flush. I also showed down another limp/big pair combo for ~$900 earlier. Villain had commented me fastplaying the flush.

I am on the button, and villain is in the sb.

Two limpers to me, I raise to 20 with black offsuit A/K. Villain raises $80, I 3-bet to $200, villain calls.

Flop

Pot: $406

A :h: J :h: 8 :h:

Villain quickly bets $100, Hero raises to $250, villain calls

Turn: 2 :h:
$906

Villain bets $400, Hero raises to $1350.

E: VV after midnight the stacks get deep, and the max buyin changes from $500->$1000. The game plays higher than 1/2... a normal open raise is $25, plus a ton of straddling and restraddling goes on. 2-3k stacks are not uncommon at all.

duffman fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 3, 2007

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?

duffman posted:

One of the big hands from playing live 1-2 tonight:

Effective Stacks: $1800

Effective stacks are $1800 in a NL200 game? :confused:

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ
lol you really think youre ahead of him here? Even maniacs get hands you know. Any heart beats you and youre investing way way way way way way way way way more than you should there on the turn.

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?
http://www.pokerhand.org/?961765

Any thoughts?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

puschel posted:

Any thoughts?

Without reads shove every time. Even with reads it's pretty tough to fold here.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Fold preflop, get it in there.

duffman
Feb 4, 2004
I AM A LIAR

Spechel EDD posted:

lol you really think youre ahead of him here? Even maniacs get hands you know. Any heart beats you and youre investing way way way way way way way way way more than you should there on the turn.

Yeah I figured out that I was behind any heart, and of course I don't think I was ahead here. I didn't think the villian will be able to call.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Based on his line (weak lead on flop seems like he wants to see turn cheap) he probably has like red TT or 99; will he fold either of these to a shove? If the answer is no then this is soooo spewy.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I prefer calling turn/reasonable river bet if you don't think he has it. This is of course unless you think he'll fold like T:h: and below.

Psyduck
Oct 27, 2004
I WON $1,424,500 AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE

duffman posted:

2000bb hand

I really dislike the preflop 3-bet and I dislike the tiny flop raise even more because you're so deep. What exactly were you trying to do this hand? Were you trying to slowly build the pot so you can get all your chips in somewhere? This deep you should be trying to get to showdown against a tricky LAG player instead of putting in a ton of chips on this horrible board. Obviously you're bluffing the turn. I just really dislike how the hand was played out as a whole.

Preflop can go either way but with position and him being LAG, I much prefer calling. On the flop, I would make a raise to around $450 or so just instead of the tiny raise INVITING him in with the Kh. On the turn I would muck it very fast, a good player can easily be playing the Kh like this, with a fake blocking bet. If he somehow has the Qh or the Jh obviously you'll get him off it.

Also, this hand is very dependent on whether or not you can rebuy instantly to cover anyone else if you wanted to. Say the bluff gets called but there are still fish with 2-3k. Will you rebuy instantly so you can still play 2000bb pots?

Psyduck fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 3, 2007

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

puschel posted:

Any thoughts?

What are you afraid of? Not much. What will call your flop 3-bet or turn c/r? Probably any one pair ace or diamonds draw. Thats all there is to it. Fold pre too if you're not going to pump this hand. Fold it anyway.

duffman
Feb 4, 2004
I AM A LIAR

blah_blah posted:

Based on his line (weak lead on flop seems like he wants to see turn cheap) he probably has like red TT or 99; will he fold either of these to a shove? If the answer is no then this is soooo spewy.

Yes, we have played together over the past two years pretty frequently, and he can quickly fold red 10's or 9's here. I very, very rarely show down big bluffs, and I know that he cannot call me without the Kh or Qh.

Psyduck posted:

I really dislike the preflop 3-bet and I dislike the tiny flop raise even more because you're so deep. What exactly were you trying to do this hand? Were you trying to slowly build the pot so you can get all your chips in somewhere? This deep you should be trying to get to showdown against a tricky LAG player instead of putting in a ton of chips on this horrible board. Obviously you're bluffing the turn. I just really dislike how the hand was played out as a whole.

Preflop can go either way but with position and him being LAG, I much prefer calling. On the flop, I would make a raise to around $450 or so just instead of the tiny raise INVITING him in with the Kh. On the turn I would muck it very fast, a good player can easily be playing the Kh like this, with a fake blocking bet. If he somehow has the Qh or the Jh obviously you'll get him off it.

Also, this hand is very dependent on whether or not you can rebuy instantly to cover anyone else if you wanted to. Say the bluff gets called but there are still fish with 2-3k. Will you rebuy instantly so you can still play 2000bb pots?

3-betting this player really lets me narrow his range down, but I do call here much more than I 3-bet. Heart or not, he is usually potting the turn if I flatcall, and I expected a much smaller blocking bet or the less likely check on the turn with a smaller raise. In his mind I am never here without Kh (unless he is holding it), and with the 3-bet looks a lot like KxKh or AxKh with my table image (which is what I tried to reinforce with the small raise on the flop.) ... it is hard to translate the information that I have on this player to text without using a bunch of generic labels (and maybe makes the whole hand just read dependent).

I could immediately rebuy for 1k, and the table had a 3-4 huge donators in the game with 600-900, including the owner, who always throws around like 2 buy-ins an hour when he plays. I actually had a poker dream where he was a giant ATM machine.

Results:

Villain tanks and folds QhQs

ZackTheGreat
Jul 18, 2006
I need opinions on this hand. I got bluffed gud

Stakes .50/.50

I'm UTG with AhKh. BB is my friend who told me what he had after.

Hero $45(Ah Kh)
BB $50
------------
Hero opens for $3
BB Calls $3

*Flop*
Ks Jd 8s

BB Checks
Hero Bets $7
BB Calls

*Turn*
Ks Jd 8s (5c)

BB Checks
Hero Bets $10
BB Raises to $20
Hero Calls $10

*River*
Ks Jd 8s (5c) (Qs)

BB Goes All-in for approx. $20
Hero Folds

In retrospect I really feel I should have came over the top of his min raise. The 5c wasn't helping anyone. Once the Qs got there pretty much every range of cards I put him on got there. I really expected a check on the river from him after I just called his min raise. I don't know why I didn't come over the top of the min raise with two spades on the flop. Then the worst scare card came on the river.

I got bluffed hardcore :(

Edit: Oops. We play .50/.50 stakes not .50/$1

BB is a very LAG.

ZackTheGreat fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 5, 2007

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Don't post what he had and sweet jesus why would you fold for $15 in a $60 pot :psyduck:

You have TPTK less than 50BB deep, there is no reason to fold at any point.

ZackTheGreat
Jul 18, 2006
Sorry, stakes were only .50/.50

I just didn't think TPTK was any good at all on that board. I wasn't beating anything on the river for $20 except a bluff. The bet was $20, give or take a dollar. It was about 1/3 the pot.

ZackTheGreat fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 5, 2007

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
stars nl 10/20 HU vs "crablar". he is a 2p2er but i dont think hes very good. i guess he wins at nl 2k because he plays nl 2k and 5k but from his posts ive read he seems like a typical massive FPS spewy 2+2er.

i think this is more interesting than it appears on first glance because you have to consider not only the possibility that hes bluffing or vbetting a worse hand but..does he call with worse? AK he would 3bet here PF for SURE so basically we're relying on him to make a hero call with KJ/KQ, right?

Seat 4: CrAbLaR ($1910 in chips)
Seat 5: EC10 ($2735 in chips)
EC10 : posts small blind $10
CrAbLaR: posts big blind $20

EC10: K:d: 8:h:

RAISE EC10 to $60
CALL CrAbLaR, $40

Flop 7:c: 5:h: K:s: Pot $120

CHECK CrAbLaR
CHECK EC10

Turn 5:d: Pot $120

CHECK CrAbLaR
BET EC10 , $70
RAISE CrAbLaR, $152 to $222
CALL EC10 , $152

River 8:s: Pot $564

BET CrAbLaR, $444

call or shove

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

EC10 posted:

call or shove

At first I was sure that this was a clear call, now I think that your line may be just confusing enough with a shove on the end to induce a bad call.

crackstar
May 9, 2003

40 OZ posted:

At first I was sure that this was a clear call, now I think that your line may be just confusing enough with a shove on the end to induce a bad call.

This is pretty much exactly what my thought processon the hand was.

I have a hand, it may be retarded, but I wanted to run it by some other people to make sure I'm not losing it.

Villain in this hand is TAG, I think his stats were something like 16/12. I hadn't been 4 bet in a while and kind of froze up. I can't really 5-bet this can I? Can I call? Should I even be 3-betting this hand against a guy with these stats?

http://www.pokerhand.org/?970262

edit: Here are 2 missed combo draws. Both hands I elected not to bet the turn (treat the min bet as a check obviously) or the river. Since I didn't bet the turn on either, will a river bet be believable? Should I fire all 3 streets with these hands? Can't be arsed for reads right now, so assume none.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?970295

http://www.pokerhand.org/?970303

crackstar fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 5, 2007

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ
EC10: I prefer a shove in that spot because I doubt I'd be seeing anything beating you there. He might even pay you off light with KQs.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

EC10 posted:

stars nl 10/20 HU vs "crablar". he is a 2p2er but i dont think hes very good. i guess he wins at nl 2k because he plays nl 2k and 5k but from his posts ive read he seems like a typical massive FPS spewy 2+2er.

i think this is more interesting than it appears on first glance because you have to consider not only the possibility that hes bluffing or vbetting a worse hand but..does he call with worse? AK he would 3bet here PF for SURE so basically we're relying on him to make a hero call with KJ/KQ, right?

RAISE EC10 to $60
CALL CrAbLaR, $40

CHECK CrAbLaR
CHECK EC10

CHECK CrAbLaR
BET EC10 , $70
CALL EC10 , $152

BET CrAbLaR, $444

call or shove

What do you think he was doing on the flop? Waiting to CR your cbet?

I really think a shove here is good because you might get called by K7 who now is vbetting river hoping you call thinking that you two will split the pot. This shove is even better if he is willing to lay down trips here with a weak kicker. (Wouldn't trips 5s with a good kicker shove river instead of vbetting?)

Edit: Sorry, just realized how much of his stack was left on the river. Ignore my argument about him shoving a strong 5 hand.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 6, 2007

Loveboat
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax

Strong Sauce posted:

(Wouldn't trips 5s with a good kicker shove river instead of vbetting?)

So you're assuming he's the worst player in the world?

edit: And yes I saw your edit, it's not that it's too much for him to bet that's stupid.

Alan Greenspan
Jun 17, 2001

Here's the very first hand I played yesterday. I was dealt KK and immediately thought that's a bad omen for a first hand. Flop came OK, turn and river was horrible. No reads on the villain, first hand ever against him.

Because of my total lack of reads I couldn't justify calling the guy's river all-in. Later he turned out to call down basically everything. He could have had something like Q5 here.

At exactly 50% of my stack in the pot I didn't feel pot committed yet. 10 cents more and I probably would have called if only to see his cards.

My question is, what should I have done differently? I can't shake off the feeling that I was bluffed out of the pot.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Something Awful)

SB ($2.57)
BB ($1.42)
UTG ($1.67)
UTG+1 ($4.97)
MP1 ($3.17)
MP2 ($2.96)
MP3 ($1.97)
Hero ($1)
Button ($1.44)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K :c:, K :s:. Hero posts a blind of $0.02.
UTG calls $0.02, 4 folds, Hero (poster) raises to $0.1, Button calls $0.10, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.33) 4 :c:, J :h:, 5 :h: (3 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.2, Button folds, UTG calls $0.20.

Turn: ($0.73) A :s: (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.2, UTG calls $0.20.

River: ($1.13) 5 :d: (2 players)
UTG bets $1.17 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $2.30

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Loveboat posted:

So you're assuming he's the worst player in the world?

edit: And yes I saw your edit, it's not that it's too much for him to bet that's stupid.

I'm so glad you didn't even consider how much I thought he had left! If he has slightly above the current pot left how is it not an easy shove for him? Is he really folding trips with a stack thats just a little bit greater than the pot? The hand completely changes since they are deeper which is why my initial thinking about villain shoving trips is completely wrong.

This is assuming that villain even has trips, I still think its K7 that was trying to CR on the flop, finally got his CR on the turn and is now value betting what he thinks is the better two pair.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
i'm still not sure about the river shove/call in my hand. i think his calling range is just too tight (trips, 77, maybe K7 but an unlikely hand to be playing OOP in the first place, KQ?, KJ?).

i just called this time, and he showed 54o for trips.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
http://www.pokerhand.org/?975638

Just kind of a crappy spot. On the turn when he raises I am pretty sure he has a set. I don't think he is raising with AQ or KQ for value here. My decision was to just call and see if he would check through on river. My line is extremely weak, but like I said, just a poo poo spot.

Any thoughts?

crackstar
May 9, 2003

faarcyde posted:

Any thoughts?

Hate it. Your flop bet is weak as is your turn bet. I tend to bet a bit more on uncoordinated boards with a high card(~2/3 pot) than I do on uncoordinated low boards, since the few hands that call you (mostly queens) will call a larger bet. The turn puts a few more draws on the board, and again I would bet more, around 2/3-3/4 since you don't want him backing into a hand cheaply.

You're getting almost 3 to 1 on the river call and he has a queen/bluff at least 25%. If you don't 3-bet the turn (I think I would) you have to call here. A straight is unlikely, but it's possible he called the flop with a gutshot or backed into it with a random 8. A small 2 pair is more likely than a straight here, I think, but these two hands are not > 75% of his range. Bet/call on the turn looks like a pair below queens, which he might be trying to extract from with a queen. Another thing to think about is that if you play to induce a bluff, you have to call it. Your turn play screams "oh god don't bet again if you do I have to fold my 99" whether you realize it or not. Folding is a big spew in my opinion.

As for the hands I posted earlier, I think the AK hand is standard, and I'm not sure why it felt so weird at the time. I am curious though what kind of lines people take with those combo draws. Generally I bet at least one more street with each, but I'm curious what other people do. Responses?

Morphius22000
Oct 21, 2005

I make last longer bets because I love looking FABULOUS!
Combo draws come down to how your opponent plays a lot of the time imo. Obv I'm more inclined to raise a more passive player when I flop a big draw, then 2 (and maybe 3) barrel them. Also, your second combo draw has four more outs than the first one, and that enters into my thought processes too (I will bet the turn with these more often).

Basically, I like the first one because your raise on the flop gives you (essentially) a free turn card, although I may have raised him on the turn just because of the minbet, depending on whatever that bet has meant for that player in the past.

Second one, I may have bet a smaller amount on the flop, because you really WANT people calling here, don't you? You've got so many outs to hit, and if you get 2 or 3 people calling a 1.50 bet on the flop, that's more money for you to make when you hit your draw. I guess you could be worried about better hearts, but I want to hear other opinions on how that should factor into your decision. As played I would probably bet the turn, then c/f river if I'm called (or would that be wrong too, since in a limped pot it's very likely they have a draw or middle pair, and 3 barreling would be better?).

Arrg
Jul 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Answered, thanks Morphius.

Arrg fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 8, 2007

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

For future reference, there's a SNG/MTT thread for tournies. Raise preflop for sure. Raise flop. As played I can't really see folding turn or river because you are getting ridiculous odds, but you are beaten almost always.

EDIT: Guess the hand was answered/deleted before I posted.

Psyduck
Oct 27, 2004
I WON $1,424,500 AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE

EC10 posted:

RAISE EC10 to $60
CALL CrAbLaR, $40

CHECK CrAbLaR
CHECK EC10

CHECK CrAbLaR
BET EC10 , $70
CALL EC10 , $152

BET CrAbLaR, $444

call or shove

I really like the way you played this hand. River shove is pretty bad because it's hard for him to look you up with KT/KJ/KQ (KQ is most likely another hand he 3-bets pf with) and he will almost always pop you back with AK pf. If he has a 5 he's stacking you. If he has a boat he's stacking you. Same with 64 (OESD on the flop and turn and straight on the river). The ONLY worse hand that might call the river shove is K7. Two pair on this board when he's betting this hard doesn't mean much. At the same time, he will be bluffing/FPSing a fair amount so you obviously can't just fold.

Something else: I often will bet on this flop and fair amount and actually play a big pot with a hand like this against someone like Crablar. If he has KT/KJ/KQ and you call him down on the flop/turn, it will be extremely hard for him to value-shove the river.

Loveboat
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax

crackstar posted:

Your flop bet is weak as is your turn bet. I tend to bet a bit more on uncoordinated boards with a high card(~2/3 pot) than I do on uncoordinated low boards, since the few hands that call you (mostly queens) will call a larger bet.

This is so dumb I want to shoot myself.

crackstar
May 9, 2003

Loveboat posted:

This is so dumb I want to shoot myself.

Please enlighten me.

Also, please continue sniping other people's posts without contributing, it's really :waycool:

Loveboat
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax

crackstar posted:

Please enlighten me.

Sounds like you WANT him to call a BIG BET rather than a SMALLER one.

I capitalized the more important words for you.

Conversely, if you get the same result from a bigger bet as you do with a smaller one, the latter is preferable. If you're into varying your betsize at all rather than mashing the pot button (which I don't hate at all) you'll want to bet smaller on boards with one high card and two lower ones, especially if it's a king or ace. It's a tough board to continue on without the high card in your hand, as you said. That the hero happened to have AA this time is of NO importance at all.

I don't want to contribute or post here (frankly because everyone is clueless, and the fact that you idolize donkeys like gobboboy and JCarver supports that theory), but sometimes I can't help myself from reacting on ill advice.

Okay I'm out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

Loveboat posted:

Sounds like you WANT him to call a BIG BET rather than a SMALLER one.

I capitalized the more important words for you.

Conversely, if you get the same result from a bigger bet as you do with a smaller one, the latter is preferable. If you're into varying your betsize at all rather than mashing the pot button (which I don't hate at all) you'll want to bet smaller on boards with one high card and two lower ones, especially if it's a king or ace. It's a tough board to continue on without the high card in your hand, as you said. That the hero happened to have AA this time is of NO importance at all.

I don't want to contribute or post here (frankly because everyone is clueless, and the fact that you idolize donkeys like gobboboy and JCarver supports that theory), but sometimes I can't help myself from reacting on ill advice.

Okay I'm out.

Yes, please leave.

faarcyde fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 9, 2007

artard
Sep 11, 2001

Loveboat posted:

Okay I'm out.

sounds good you've never posted anything in this forum that wasn't worthless and/or a troll

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Loveboat posted:

Okay I'm out.

lol who is this guy

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Loveboat posted:

Okay I'm out.
Well good, then I've seen you make your last post here.

Scotsman
Jun 9, 2002

Loveboat posted:

Okay I'm out.

And you can stay out. Due to your post history, if you post in PITR again you'll be banned mmmmmk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

puschel posted:

Any thoughts?

What the hell else could you want? If you call with A6, the only way I'm winning that pot is with two pair. You hit your two pair, with a third card being a 3. What the hell else could you ask for?

I would have called without thinking about it.

• Locked thread