Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

Yeah arrg, I hate to put on the hate, but you deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrg
Jul 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Ouch, I guess I do deserve that. I know I'm not the best but I thought I was slowly getting better.

I'll be more careful about which hands I post from now on.

Pizzlefish
Jun 8, 2005

Arrg posted:

Ouch, I guess I do deserve that. I know I'm not the best but I thought I was slowly getting better.

I'll be more careful about which hands I post from now on.

The problem isn't that you aren't the best (I suck horribly too), it's just that you dont seem to be making much improvement. You are constantly overvalueing hands and chasing a good preflop starting hand all the way without much improvement. No matter what advice we give you, you make the same mistakes every other post.

You keep doing weird things as well, like saying "This is what you call pot committed" before acting first. You can't be pot committed unless there is a bet in front of you. You could have checked and had him check behind you. And you keep minraiseing. You should almost never minraise.

It can't be said enough: Read a book. Harrington or Phil Gordon's books, or whatever.

And crop off everything after ****SHOWDOWN**** so we can give you our reads on what is going on in the hand without being skewed by the results.

Pizzlefish fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 25, 2007

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Pizzlefish posted:

And crop off everything after ****SHOWDOWN**** so we can give you our reads on what is going on in the hand without being skewed by the results.

I'd take it one step further and crop off everything after the decision in the hand you are unsure on. Seeing how the villain reacts to a bet or raise can often skew discussion as well.

Arrg
Jul 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I have almost finished HoH1 and my SnG/Donkament play has improved considerably. I guess I have trouble translating some of the lessons in there over to ring play though.

I'll make a concious effort not to chase good PF hands all the way anymore. I'll also keep an eye on my miniraising.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Arrg posted:

I have almost finished HoH1 and my SnG/Donkament play has improved considerably. I guess I have trouble translating some of the lessons in there over to ring play though.

I'll make a concious effort not to chase good PF hands all the way anymore. I'll also keep an eye on my miniraising.

Your minraising isn't going to chase out drawy hands out of the pot, and generally with raises preflop you're trying to build a pot for your good hands. QT isn't really a hand you're trying to build a pot for. Minraises do nothing except give someone good pot odds to call, and often times people will see that as a very weak blocking bet and often come over the top of you.

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Little Joe? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Knightmare posted:

Your minraising isn't going to chase out drawy hands out of the pot, and generally with raises preflop you're trying to build a pot for your good hands. QT isn't really a hand you're trying to build a pot for. Minraises do nothing except give someone good pot odds to call, and often times people will see that as a very weak blocking bet and often come over the top of you.

Every time you get the urge to minraise, punch yourself in the balls.

Hard.

There's the odd time that a minraise is acceptable, but I'm sure you can deal with an occasional ball punch.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
What if I minraise just to be an rear end in a top hat, I do that sometimes

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

What if I minraise just to be an rear end in a top hat, I do that sometimes

Totally acceptable :)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
On a related note, if people are multitabling or otherwise not paying attention, betting a large but completely irregular amount into them with one or more streets to go is usually a good way to get a call since people will assume you are all-in when they see that you bet "$147.83" into a $200 pot or something.

But it's also fun to just do it to be a jerk!

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

On a related note, if people are multitabling or otherwise not paying attention, betting a large but completely irregular amount into them with one or more streets to go is usually a good way to get a call since people will assume you are all-in when they see that you bet "$147.83" into a $200 pot or something.

But it's also fun to just do it to be a jerk!

People at Cake tournaments do that poo poo all the time and it throws me off more than it should. I started off playing at Truepoker and there's no typing bets, only multiples of the BB. That kinda engrained it into me that an irregular bet size meant someone is all in. I still catch myself loving that up every once in a while.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

ultimatemike posted:

Every time you get the urge to minraise, punch yourself in the balls.

Hard.

There's the odd time that a minraise is acceptable, but I'm sure you can deal with an occasional ball punch.

I will minraise if I have a good read on someone and I know they will try to punish me for it. (ex. Stefan_Prodan) If you KNOW someone will come over the top, a minraise may be ok to induce it and then 3bet trap like some sort of metagame check/raise but this is a pretty rare occurence for the few times you have a good read on someone.

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Knightmare posted:

I will minraise if I have a good read on someone and I know they will try to punish me for it. (ex. Stefan_Prodan) If you KNOW someone will come over the top, a minraise may be ok to induce it and then 3bet trap like some sort of metagame check/raise but this is a pretty rare occurence for the few times you have a good read on someone.

Like I said, there's odd times where it's appropriate.

I just think that since he's starting out, it's probably best not to do it at all. He's better off worrying about position, starting hands and proper bet sizing first before he starts trying to figure out spots where a minraise is slightly more +EV.

Basically a strict rule to go by until he understands enough theory to know why minraising is usually a bad idea, and what makes an appropriate spot to do it.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

ultimatemike posted:

Basically a strict rule to go by until he understands enough theory to know why minraising is usually a bad idea, and what makes an appropriate spot to do it.

I pretty much only minraise boards where the flop is paired, usually on the turn. It's exploitable but oh so profitable. I also sometimes minraise big draws as a free card play. I haven't found that minraising sets or other big hands is a good line.

Arrg
Jul 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Well, Torcida had been a very agressive player, buying several pots and having to rebuy chips once in the 57 hands I was at the table. I started with $2 and had worked my way up. My biggest question is was my betting/rasing correct @ the turn.

(Oh god please don't yell at me again!)

PokerStars Game #9616351794: Hold'em No Limit ($0.02/$0.05) - 2007/04/26 - 12:16:26 (ET)
Table 'Pariana III' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: Arrgy ($3.27 in chips)
Seat 2: mm02 ($3.32 in chips)
Seat 3: chambeee ($6 in chips)
Seat 4: introv ($16.96 in chips)
Seat 5: kroepy ($5.57 in chips)
Seat 6: jabbyjay ($9.68 in chips)
Seat 7: roboface ($5.86 in chips)
Seat 8: Max Messer ($5.46 in chips)
Seat 9: Torcida69 ($4.94 in chips)
mm02: posts small blind $0.02
chambeee: posts big blind $0.05
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Arrgy [Ac Td]
introv: calls $0.05
kroepy: folds
jabbyjay: folds
roboface: folds
Max Messer: calls $0.05
Torcida69: raises $0.05 to $0.10
Arrgy: calls $0.10
mm02: folds
chambeee: calls $0.05
introv: calls $0.05
Max Messer: calls $0.05
*** FLOP *** [2d Kd 4d]
chambeee: bets $0.10
introv: folds
Max Messer: folds
Torcida69: calls $0.10
Arrgy: raises $0.40 to $0.50
chambeee: folds
Torcida69: calls $0.40
*** TURN *** [2d Kd 4d] [Jd]
Torcida69: checks
Arrgy: bets $0.75
Torcida69: raises $0.75 to $1.50
Arrgy: raises $1.17 to $2.67 and is all-in
Torcida69: calls $1.17
*** RIVER *** [2d Kd 4d Jd] [4c]***

Pizzlefish
Jun 8, 2005

Arrg posted:

Well, Torcida had been a very agressive player, buying several pots and having to rebuy chips once in the 57 hands I was at the table. I started with $2 and had worked my way up. My biggest question is was my betting/rasing correct @ the turn.

My take on this hand: He pretty much is saying he has at least one high diamond with that flop call. On the turn, when a card comes out that helps the opponents projected hand, with your chip stack you can either push and try to take the pot down or check and let the opponent make the first move. Betting half the pot sets yourself up for a reraise that can be anything, real or bluff, and pretty much makes you push. I would have pushed and let him make the decision since some people take overbets as a sign of weakness. if he has the ace or queen you are getting called no matter what.

Your reraise was automatic, since that was going in on the river no matter what.

Something tells me (probably the minraises) he played that hand shittily and caught a boat on the river.

Ohh, and preflop, i would have reraised to isolate the aggressive guy if you had a tightish table image. Your starting hand is moderately weak and people aren't going to believe many bluffs if you dont show strength preflop. Personally, I am not a fan of preflop limping because im fairly weak at postflop play so I like to limit my opponents. By raising, you get the chance to isolate the aggressive guy and make him think you have a good starting hand, effectively disguising your A/10 off (If you are loose imaged, then forget that since nobody will believe you anyway)

Pizzlefish fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 26, 2007

Arrg
Jul 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I almost always end up with a tight table image. I play maybe 15-20% of my hands and usually raise when I have something good. Depending on posotion of course.

lolercoasterrr
Mar 27, 2006

lololololololololllllll
NL 200
Hero has about ~190 dealer position, villain covers, no reads
Dealt to Hero: Ad Jh

SB Posts SB 1.00
player2 BB 2.00
player3 Folds
Villain Raises 8.00
Player 5 Calls 8.00
hero Calls 8.00
SB Calls 7.00
BB Folds
Flop: 6h Th Ah
SB Checks
Villain Bets 20.00
Player 5 Folds
hero Calls 20.00
SB Folds
Turn: Jd
VillainChecks
hero Bets 60.00
VillainAll In 243.30
hero All In 94.00

Called flop to re-evaluate on turn... when turn came up all my monies went in

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Nevermind, misread.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Sherminator posted:

Called flop to re-evaluate on turn... when turn came up all my monies went in
this hand is fine.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
In the AJo hand I might fold preflop because I don't really enjoy playing AJo multiway, but postflop is fine.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
oh yeah.. pxf is right. it's a fold PF.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Arrg posted:

How aggressive is he on the turn and river? If he is not stupid aggressive you're probably not going to see a worser hand here. If he is calling your flop raise he is probably not doing this without a diamond. Maybe AA/AK with the A:d:. If he really is that crazy then you might be good here but in most cases I don't make this move unless I know 1) he is really aggressive and 2) I hold at least the Q of that suit.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.
Super weird hand I just played on Cake. PFR is a multitabler who doesn't seem spectacular. Mediocre I'd say. The flop checkraiser is an unknown but I'm thinking he's fairly decent since I haven't noticed anything stupid in about 30 hands.

10-handed 5/10.

One fold, limp in front of me, I limp 44, one fold, PFR pops it to 40, two calls, both blinds call, guy in front calls, I call (Cake Poker :hurr: ).

Family pot, 8 players take a look at 542 rainbow with 320 in the pot.

Checked to me, I check it through, PFR bets 275, folded to BB who shoves 900 total. Raiser and I both have 1400.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

coiol posted:

Super weird hand I just played on Cake. PFR is a multitabler who doesn't seem spectacular. Mediocre I'd say. The flop checkraiser is an unknown but I'm thinking he's fairly decent since I haven't noticed anything stupid in about 30 hands.

10-handed 5/10.

One fold, limp in front of me, I limp 44, one fold, PFR pops it to 40, two calls, both blinds call, guy in front calls, I call (Cake Poker :hurr: ).

Checked to me, I check it through, PFR bets 275, folded to BB who shoves 900 total. Raiser and I both have 1400.

You're only behind A/3 and 55. One of these players figures to have an overpair here I would think and since this is cake possibly both of them or even stupid hands with just the ace drawing to the inside straight.

Smooth calling is pointless since anyone who calls 900 isn't going to balk at calling off the extra 500 on your shove. Shove away and hope it's not 55.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

coiol posted:

10-handed 5/10.

Let me put it this way... I'd pay a grand to be in your situation.

Psyduck
Oct 27, 2004
I WON $1,424,500 AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE

coiol posted:

10-handed 5/10.

How do you not get it in here? You beat all overpairs, all two pairs, all pairs + draws, etc.

I couldn't fold 222 on this flop here either, although that's probably a fold. This is why you don't play full ring.

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Psyduck posted:

How do you not get it in here? You beat all overpairs, all two pairs, all pairs + draws, etc.

I couldn't fold 222 on this flop here either, although that's probably a fold. This is why you don't play full ring.

At Cake I'm sure this is A5 some measurable amount of time. I wouldn't think twice about getting it in. If he has 55 so be it, just river quads. Even if he flopped the straight you're not in THAT bad shape.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I'm not worried about PFR. It's the BB that scares me, check-pushing on an 8-way raised pot with total rags on the board. I figure that 54 and 43 are less likely because I'm holding 44, 55 and 22 are a coin flip, and I'm behind A3. If it's only 55/22/A3 I have to fold, right? Maybe I'm giving BB too much credit.

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

coiol posted:

Maybe I'm giving BB too much credit.

I really think so.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

coiol posted:

If it's only 55/22/A3 I have to fold, right?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much credit. The only thing that has you crushed is 55. This is never a fold unless you saw the guys hole cards in a live game.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
Yeah what everyone else has said. For future reference hands where you flopped 2nd set (or 2nd nuts, or whatever) for 100 BB's on cake shouldn't even really be posted. Sucks if you lost to a flopped straight or whatever, just chalk it up to a standard cooler.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I folded, PFR called with 33 and beat BB's 76 when a 6 fell :pwn:

I only posted it because this is the first time I can recall ever check/folding a set on the flop in maybe 300k hands. I still think it's the right move if the players are competent, but I could be wrong if the math works out otherwise.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?

coiol posted:

I folded, PFR called with 33 and beat BB's 76 when a 6 fell :pwn:

I only posted it because this is the first time I can recall ever check/folding a set on the flop in maybe 300k hands. I still think it's the right move if the players are competent, but I could be wrong if the math works out otherwise.

Call, if you are facing some dumb straight you have outs. Also, don't play full ring.

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

boom boom boom let me hear you say bale BALE
http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcXGxcTFxcbNwMTExMTNwYjFx8bGzcY%3d

I had 77. Comments? I'm pretty sure raising the flop is a must looking back at the hand.

simple
Apr 11, 2007

Biggy_ posted:

I had 77. Comments? I'm pretty sure raising the flop is a must looking back at the hand.

or fold, raiser is saying he got a piece of the flop (draw to flush or straight?), re-raise may not chase him off...

Delysid
Jul 31, 2003

need another damn shooter

simple posted:

or fold, raiser is saying he got a piece of the flop (draw to flush or straight?), re-raise may not chase him off...

:confused: Am I reading this right? You fold overpairs to half pot bets on flops like that because you're scared of draws?

I'm raising about pot size on that flop. You're not going to chase out flush draws at these stakes but that's not the point, the idea is to extract money from the flush draw for the 60-65% of the time when they miss (and under the assumption that you're not going to be paying them off in a big way when it does hit whereas they'll put in a ton of money with their 4-flush). By raising significantly you're forcing someone with a draw or overcards to make a mistake by calling. You're only behind a set or a straight, which wouldn't make much sense with the flop action (they'll usually go for a c/r since you raised preflop and act last on the flop, so you pretty much always c-bet here). This flop is a must raise situation.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?

Biggy_ posted:

Bet more on turn. With that board, it is pretty obvious he is drawing and you should be making him pay while trying to keep him in the hand. If he raises the turn, then it will be fairly obvious he has a set / some kind of stupid straight. There are so many cards that are dangerous for you on the river, its not a bad idea to try and take down the pot right then if at all possible.

simple
Apr 11, 2007

Delysid posted:

:confused: Am I reading this right? You fold overpairs to half pot bets on flops like that because you're scared of draws?

I'm raising about pot size on that flop. You're not going to chase out flush draws at these stakes but that's not the point, the idea is to extract money from the flush draw for the 60-65% of the time when they miss (and under the assumption that you're not going to be paying them off in a big way when it does hit whereas they'll put in a ton of money with their 4-flush). By raising significantly you're forcing someone with a draw or overcards to make a mistake by calling. You're only behind a set or a straight, which wouldn't make much sense with the flop action (they'll usually go for a c/r since you raised preflop and act last on the flop, so you pretty much always c-bet here). This flop is a must raise situation.

I wouldn't use the word "scared" but I am just considering the possibility... so a re-raise is mandatory because (1) the flop does not have any overcards to the pair of 7's (2) the raise does not indicate trips or a straight. Assume the 7's are the best hand and bet accordingly, only if they checked and then re-raised a bet would you fold... makes sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

simple, have you ever played online poker or NL cash at a casino before? Your advice is so bad that I have to wonder.

I don't like a flop raise here. He can be trying to b/3b with a big draw or a big hand and your hand can't really stand that much heat nor do you want to inflate the pot. I'd like a raise on the flop more if you had something like 54 or A5 or 44. As played the turn 3 is about the best card in the deck for you and you have to pot the turn.

• Locked thread