Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

rath posted:

Hand history didn't get written to file (:argh: Vista), but I need some input on this.

Playing .10/.20 NL, 10 handed. I pick up QQ in the SB with ~$22 and villain (no reads, new to the table) was on the button with ~$20.

Preflop: 3 limps, villain raises to ~$1.40, I reraise to ~$4.50, limpers fold, villain pauses for a good 5-10 seconds and then calls.

Flop comes 9-5-2 rainbow. I make a roughly pot sized bet (~$9.50) and our villain calls.

Turn is a 7 and I push my last $8, villain calls.

Villain showed KK and it holds up.

Would you play this hand differently? I'm still pretty new, but I can't see it being profitable to play hands like this scared that everyone at the table has AA or KK.

I didn't see your spoiler text, and you usually shouldn't mention results until a couple of people have critiqued your post.

First, I like that you reraised preflop but i dont think you really need to reraise that big. A raise to 3.50-4.00 should be enough despite some of the extra money from the limpers. Most people aren't going to call this reraise and when they do they usually have a decent enough hand.

On the flop, pushing here is kinda terrible. You'll obviously get smaller pocket pairs to fold (WHY?) but AA/KK or a made set are going to call you every day. You have to suspect him for a pocket pair or a big A and there are no flush draws out. So you really need to follow a WA/WB line.

There is 9.50 in the pot, you have 17.50 left. You want to bet enough on both the flop and turn as close to the pot size as possible. The way you played it, he has to call $8 to win approx $28.5. What does he call on the flop for a pot sized bet that he's going to fold on the turn for that small amount?

But because of the amount of money you have left, it is kind of hard to make pot sized bets, which is another reason to reraise smaller preflop. That way you can make bigger bets on the flop and turn where you can get all your money in evenly.

If you bet half the pot on the flop, you'll leave yourself enough money to bet half the pot on the turn if he calls. If he has AA/KK here, that's tough but you would have lost all your money anyways. But if he doesn't have AA/KK then you have made a ton of money from the smaller pocket pair.

Of course this is barring any read like, "he only cold calls with AA/KK/AK" which is usually the case when someone "just calls" here.

Edit: just read your spoiler; which would make a case for you betting smaller on the flop. There is no need to blow anyone out of the hand on the flop because they're either beating you or not and you want the people you are beating to put money into the pot.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 28, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision
$5 Turbo NL SnG

blinds at 100-200

Hero ~2400, villain ~3200.

Hero catches 10s, late position and raises to 600. Villain calls.

Flop comes 6 A 3 rainbow. Hero bets $400, Villain raises to $800, Hero calls.

King lands on the turn, Hero goes all in for $1000, Villain calls.

Villain shows KQ, no help for hero on the river

I suppose I should have pushed on the flop, but I was overthinking his ace

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

AR posted:

$5 Turbo NL SnG

blinds at 100-200

this hand is retarded and there is an SNG critique thread for this sort of thing.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

AR posted:

$5 Turbo NL SnG

blinds at 100-200

Preflop you raise to 600, and on the flop you bet 400? Everyone and their mom sees this as weakness and will raise you. Calling leaves you with 1000 which is obviously going in the pot anyways, so yes you should've pushed it in with a reraise. This will give him one last choice to fold if he doesn't have an ace, and if he did have an ace you were losing anyways so it doesn't matter! Keep an open mind about your bets and stack sizes, especially when the blinds are huge.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

Knightmare posted:

Preflop you raise to 600, and on the flop you bet 400? Everyone and their mom sees this as weakness and will raise you. Calling leaves you with 1000 which is obviously going in the pot anyways, so yes you should've pushed it in with a reraise. This will give him one last choice to fold if he doesn't have an ace, and if he did have an ace you were losing anyways so it doesn't matter! Keep an open mind about your bets and stack sizes, especially when the blinds are huge.

Thanks - seemed simple enough, I knew better but played extra weak.

edit: weak == stupid

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

blah_blah posted:

this hand is retarded and there is an SNG critique thread for this sort of thing.

yeah I'm a masochist give it to me.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

AR posted:

yeah I'm a masochist give it to me.

His comment wasn't for your benefit.

Malrick
Sep 29, 2006

Excelsior!
I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I keep seeming to lose hands like this one I lost this morning. The pot on the flop was .22, on the turn it was .88 and on the river it was 2.54. The Villain was playing a lot of hands so I thought it could have been anything after the flop. I thought it might be a pair of Kings or Jacks, he bet the pot I called. I bet the pot on the Turn, when he called I figured he got a flush and was beat. Any help is welcomed.

PokerStars Game #10164109559: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2007/05/29 - 09:55:37 (ET)
Table 'Gormeisa IV' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 2: Villain ($4.20 in chips)
Seat 3: seat 3 ($2.64 in chips)
Seat 4: seat 4 ($6.57 in chips)
Seat 5: seat 5 ($6.55 in chips)
Seat 7: seat 7 ($1.40 in chips)
Seat 8: Hero ($3.07 in chips)
Seat 9: seat 9 ($5.49 in chips)
seat 5 : posts small blind $0.01
seat 7: posts big blind $0.02
seat 1: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [T:c: T:d:]
Hero: calls $0.02
seat 9 : folds
Villain: calls $0.02
seat 3 : raises $0.02 to $0.04
seat 4 : calls $0.04
seat 5 : calls $0.03
seat 7: folds
Hero: calls $0.02
Villain: calls $0.02
*** FLOP *** [T:h: J:h: K:c:]
seat 5: checks
Hero: checks
Villain: bets $0.22
seat 3: calls $0.22
seat 4: folds
seat 5: folds
Hero: calls $0.22
*** TURN *** [T:h: J:h: K:c:] [8:h:]
Hero: bets $0.88
Villain: calls $0.88
seat 3: folds
*** RIVER *** [T:h: J:h: K:c: 8:h:] [7:h:]
Hero: checks
Villain: checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Hero: shows [T:c: T:d:] (three of a kind, Tens)
Villain: shows [Q:h: 9:s:] (a flush, Queen high)
Villain collected $2.54 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $2.64 | Rake $0.10
Board [T:h: J:h: K:c: 8:h: 7:h:]
Seat 2: Villain showed [Q:h: 9:s:] and won ($2.54) with a flush, Queen high
Seat 3: seat 3 folded on the Turn
Seat 4: seat 4 (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 5: seat 5 (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 7: seat 7 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: Hero showed [T:c: T:d:] and lost with three of a kind, Tens
Seat 9: seat 9 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ
its played fine and very standard

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Spechel EDD posted:

its played fine and very standard

You think preflop is standard?

You think the flop is standard?

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ

albedoa posted:

You think preflop is standard?

You think the flop is standard?

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, reading unconverted hands makes me miss so friggen much that I honest to god didnt realize that he limp-called utg and then check called flop. Yeah looking carefully now I'd raise pf. Lead out flop for 3/4s to psb. Turn I'd make a 3/4ths again and check/fold river.

god I must look like such a friggen donk saying that he played it fine and standard

Malrick
Sep 29, 2006

Excelsior!
Sorry the converter in the first post of the thread is down. Is there another converter for my future use?

Would this be a correct way to play that then. Raise 4xBB or .08, after the Flop bet the pot and if he just called on the turn make a probing bet to try and figure out what he had?

So I should be that aggressive even in early position? If I was acting in late or middle position with that had I probably would have raised 3 to 5 times the BB before the Flop. I tend to limp in unless I have AA, KK or AK in the early position. Should I generally be more aggressive in early position?

I am sorry for the donk questions but I have a hard time playing in early position right now.

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ

Malrick posted:

Sorry the converter in the first post of the thread is down. Is there another converter for my future use?

Would this be a correct way to play that then. Raise 4xBB or .08, after the Flop bet the pot and if he just called on the turn make a probing bet to try and figure out what he had?

So I should be that aggressive even in early position? If I was acting in late or middle position with that had I probably would have raised 3 to 5 times the BB before the Flop. I tend to limp in unless I have AA, KK or AK in the early position. Should I generally be more aggressive in early position?

I am sorry for the donk questions but I have a hard time playing in early position right now.

The converter just makes me miss a lot of the action because it doesnt highlight stuff that my brain doesnt see after a long day.

I would raise 77+ utg here (limp 22-66) just to build a pot and get some money in there for when you hit sets/overpairs/etc. I havent played fullring in forever so I dont know how aggro the players are in fullring and at 25nl. I imagine theyre pretty passive and you can most of the time take it down with a c-bet anyway.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Preflop is horrible. Raise Raise Raise 3x-4x is fine.

Preflop raise is better because if you limp, everyone else limps causing a huge family pot which is terrible for pocket tens. If you raise preflop and get reraised then there are some merits for folding at that point. At .01/.02 no one probably cares that you raised UTG since all they're really looking at is what they have and will probably reraise you with only hands that beat you.

Flop is terrible. Don't check a 2 flush connected board like this. And when someone bets here this is where you raise to like $2 $1.

Turn is terrible, hearts got there, 2 straight draws got there. Why are you betting out on the turn? You're essentially turning your hand into a bluff at this point.

RAISE PREFLOP.
PUT MORE MONEY IN ON THE FLOP.
PROFIT.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 30, 2007

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I think it is valid to simply call preflop if you're happy to just play the tens like a low pocket pair, and only go to town if your set hits. I'm not saying its what I'd do, but I think it is a valid approach to the hand.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?

AR posted:

$5 Turbo NL SnG

blinds at 100-200

Even though it is a little more than 10x the BB I just push here, raising and getting called when you have tens is tricky because it is pretty much going all in anyway if you bet and the guy raises you or even calls. So yeah use your fold equity and jaaaaam.

joboo002
Jul 21, 2002

Pocket Aces means you're banned.
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Something Awful)

CO ($31.45)
Button ($45.20)
SB ($8.90)
BB ($11.40)
UTG ($41.25)
UTG+1 ($20.50)
MP1 ($14.65)
Hero ($55.60)
MP3 ($21.65)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q :h:, Q :c:.
3 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, MP3 calls $0.75, 4 folds.

Flop: ($1.85) 6 :c:, 6 :h:, 7 :d: (2 players)
Hero bets $1, MP3 raises to $2, Hero calls $1.

Turn: ($5.85) 3 :h: (2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets $2.75, Hero calls $2.75.

River: ($11.35) K :s: (2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: $11.35

Villain seemed tighter than most, he hadn't shown down but one hand in the 50 or so I'd been at the table so far. Once he minraised me on the flop, I was pretty lost. Full Tilt players like to minraise, so I didn't put him squarely on a strong hand, but I certainly didn't rule it out. With how tight he'd been, I didn't really feel he had 45, 58 or 89, so I didn't feel bad about giving him a free card. From the turn on, I was just looking to show this hand down. In retrospect, it looks pretty weak, but I'm really not sure.

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ
Reads on villian would be really good in this spot so I can assign him some sort of range.

Preflop I'd raise to $1.
C-bet $1.50-$2.00 depending on the person and if hes a station. Wouldn't mind 3-betting him to $5. Theres lots of draws he can be raising trying to buy himself some free turn and river cards or trying to play a hand like 88.

Turn sucks since it completes the 45 straight. His bet seems really weak to me, as if its a stupid blocking bet by 78/7x/98 hands. If this was 6 max I'd value raise here. Check/call is really weak in my opinion but its full ring so it causes me to nit up like crazy and to nut peddle. If someone has a better line for the turn other than check call and re-evaluating river I'd love to hear it.

River I'd normally half-pot valuebet.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

joboo002 posted:

hand

Against an unknown who is noticably tight I would probably play it the same way as you. I don't mind this line but make a note of what he minraised you on the flop with after you call down.

After you figure that out, play accordingly.

Sometimes I just shove this flop though. He's calling anything from 88-JJ and maybe even 55 and obviously any 6. But given the way the hand plays out I'm guessing he has a 7 or TT/JJ.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

faarcyde posted:

use your fold equity and jaaaaam.

what the christ? why do you want your opponent to fold here? Having fold equity is why you jam JTo with 5BB, not why you jam TT with > 10BB.

joboo002
Jul 21, 2002

Pocket Aces means you're banned.
I really needed a better read on the guy, and I regret not 3-betting the flop. As gross as the turn and river seem, at least the logic I used to play them seems to be on line with better players than I.

Results:
He had 22 (I guess he put me on AK LOL). In retrospect I probably coaxed a bet out of him on the turn I wouldn't have gotten playing it differently, but I still think that 3-betting the flop will make me more in the long run against a fairly tight player's range.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
I was playing in a freeroll on Fulltilt, and the follow hand happened:
(Note, I am WinningHands, which I know is a dumb name. Also the converter in the OP doesn't work, and a brief google search doesn't help)

quote:

Full Tilt Poker Game #2557677720: $100 Freeroll (19404116), Table 70 - 80/160 - No Limit Hold'em - 7:01:55 ET - 2007/06/01
Seat 1: ohitalman (30), is sitting out
Seat 2: pierdes (2,835), is sitting out
Seat 3: Statistics1 (25), is sitting out
Seat 4: TStripes (31,865)
Seat 5: WinningHands (22,715)
Seat 6: gregnizzle (80), is sitting out
Seat 7: AndyRoss77 (17,125)
Seat 8: bioponic (180), is sitting out
Seat 9: pokerartistmac (410), is sitting out
bioponic posts the small blind of 80
pokerartistmac posts the big blind of 160
The button is in seat #7
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to WinningHands [Qc Qs]
ohitalman folds
pierdes folds
Statistics1 folds
TStripes calls 160
AndyRoss77: hate em
WinningHands raises to 800
gregnizzle folds
AndyRoss77 folds
bioponic folds
pokerartistmac folds
TStripes calls 640
*** FLOP *** [6c Qh 2c]
TStripes checks
WinningHands checks
*** TURN *** [6c Qh 2c] [9d]
TStripes checks
WinningHands bets 800
TStripes calls 800
*** RIVER *** [6c Qh 2c 9d] [Jh]
TStripes bets 30,265, and is all in
WinningHands calls 21,115, and is all in
Uncalled bet of 9,150 returned to TStripes
*** SHOW DOWN ***
TStripes shows [Ts 8s] (a straight, Queen high)
TStripes: dirty
WinningHands mucks
TStripes wins the pot (45,670) with a straight, Queen high
WinningHands stands up
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 45,670 | Rake 0
Board: [6c Qh 2c 9d Jh]
Seat 1: ohitalman didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: pierdes didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: Statistics1 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: TStripes showed [Ts 8s] and won (45,670) with a straight, Queen high
Seat 5: WinningHands mucked [Qc Qs] - three of a kind, Queens
Seat 6: gregnizzle didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: AndyRoss77 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: bioponic (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 9: pokerartistmac (big blind) folded before the Flop

When the flop came up 6Q2, I didn't want to scare off any action by opening with a monster bet, and when the turn came up, I threw out a bet of 5BB to see where I stood.

I'm something of a novice online, was slow playing the set of queens on a low/rainbow flop and turn a rookie mistake, or was he an idiot for staying until the end with a gutshot?

I'm guessing it was the first one, and that 800 chips just wasn't enough to get him to fold.

Lilosh fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 1, 2007

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
wrong thread

There is pretty much no reason ever to slowplay in a freeroll.

Also, your turn bet wasn't to "see where you stood". You had the nuts. It was to gogogogo get money in pot.

Makeo
Aug 5, 2003
sorry the converter didn't like the format.

I've just moved up and am interested in peoples thoughts. I know it isn't a tricky or interesting hand but can see it coming up again.

Villain is TAG.

Thanks

***** Hand 636332013 *****
0.25/0.50 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - Saturday, 2 June 2007 8:48:57 AM
Table TH 375 (Real /Cash Game )
Seat 1: shadowce (64.00)
Seat 2: xilax (107.45)
Seat 3: siraya (67.47)
Seat 4: Makeo99 (48.00)
Seat 5: Haifi (30.39)
Seat 6: N_Nygard (49.35)
Seat 7: w4ld3 (10.00)
Seat 8: Od20 (140.88)
Seat 9: fasanab (92.00)
Seat 10: kedrissos (96.35)
Haifi post SB 0.25
N_Nygard post BB 0.50
** Deal **
shadowce [N/A, N/A]
xilax [N/A, N/A]
siraya [N/A, N/A]
Makeo99 [Qc, Kc]
Haifi [N/A, N/A]
N_Nygard [N/A, N/A]
w4ld3 [N/A, N/A]
Od20 [N/A, N/A]
fasanab [N/A, N/A]
kedrissos [N/A, N/A]
*** Bet Round 1 ***
w4ld3 Fold
Od20 Call 0.50
fasanab Fold
kedrissos Raise to 1.00
shadowce Call 1.00
xilax Fold
siraya Fold
Makeo99 Call 1.00
Haifi Fold
N_Nygard Fold
Od20 Call 1.00
*** Flop(Board): *** : [8c, Ks, 7c]
*** Bet Round 2 ***
Od20 Check
kedrissos Bet 3.00
shadowce Fold
Makeo99 Raise to 10.50
Od20 Fold
kedrissos Raise to 20.00
Makeo99 All-in 47.00
kedrissos Call 47.00
*** Turn(Board): *** : [8c, Ks, 7c, 2d]
*** River(Board): *** : [8c, Ks, 7c, 2d, Qh]
*** Showdown *** : Rake: 3.00 Total Pot: 95.75

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Little Joe? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Makeo posted:

I've just moved up and am interested in peoples thoughts. I know it isn't a tricky or interesting hand but can see it coming up again.

Villain is TAG.

Thanks

Top pair + 2nd nut flush draw means 3-bet all in is standard. You're most likely a coinflip or a little worse if he calls.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Makeo posted:

Villain is TAG.

Thanks

I 3-bet jam this hand every day. Very standard. The only thing that has you completely crushed is a set of 8s, 7s or deck-forbidding pocket kings. Even against those hands you still have a decent amount of outs.

Against an overpair (AA) you are pretty even (AA is slightly favored) while even against 2 pair you are the slight favorite.

Edit: Sorry the two pair was 8s and 7s. You're behind K8

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 2, 2007

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Yeah, looks completely standard.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

This is a hand I played awhile back that I thought was pretty interesting. Live 1/2, stacks 200BB effective, 7 or 8 handed, can't remember.

Folded around to CO (very, very bad player) who opens to 5x, button calls, SB (pretty tight, occasionally plays hands weird) calls, I call with 76 of spades.

Flop is Kc 6h 5c. SB checks, I check, CO bets $15 or something, everyone calls.

Turn is the 6d, SB donks out $60, I call (?), CO calls, button folds.

River is the 9d, SB checks, I bet $110 or something, CO folds, SB raises all in, I fold my hand faceup.

e: unfortunately I'm not 100% sure that the river was the 9 (e.g., completing the 5-9 straight) but it definitely didn't complete the flush.

Give another answer if the river is the Td, I guess (might be the same).

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 2, 2007

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

blah_blah posted:

This is a hand I played awhile back that I thought was pretty interesting. Live 1/2, stacks 200BB effective, 7 or 8 handed, can't remember.

Folded around to CO (very, very bad player) who opens to 5x, button calls, SB (pretty tight, occasionally plays hands weird) calls, I call with 76 of spades.

Flop is Kc 6h 5c. SB checks, I check, CO bets $15 or something, everyone calls.

Turn is the 6d, SB donks out $60, I call (?), CO calls, button folds.

River is the 9d, SB checks, I bet $110 or something, CO folds, SB raises all in, I fold my hand faceup.

e: unfortunately I'm not 100% sure that the river was the 9 (e.g., completing the 5-9 straight) but it definitely didn't complete the flush.

Give another answer if the river is the Td, I guess (might be the same).

I like checking on the river mainly because there is no value in betting against 2 players especially when it is obvious by the turn that someone in the hand has a 6. You know you have a 6 so what are the other 2 calling with? One probably has a better 6 and the other one probably has the K. I don't know what you mean by "playing hands weird" but I assume that means that he sometimes doesn't show up with a 6 here? Still I like checking the best over any other action.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Well, CO never ever has a 6, and SB can definitely have a 6, but could have air, or a big king, or some sort of weird boat. Checking behind trips seems really nitty.

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ

Strong Sauce posted:

I like checking on the river mainly because there is no value in betting against 2 players especially when it is obvious by the turn that someone in the hand has a 6. You know you have a 6 so what are the other 2 calling with? One probably has a better 6 and the other one probably has the K. I don't know what you mean by "playing hands weird" but I assume that means that he sometimes doesn't show up with a 6 here? Still I like checking the best over any other action.

Serious? This is live. People will go crazy and make so many calls with just a King.

I'd be calling this river and only folding with a super read on him having a better 6/straight/boat

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

blah_blah posted:

Well, CO never ever has a 6, and SB can definitely have a 6, but could have air, or a big king, or some sort of weird boat. Checking behind trips seems really nitty.

I agree though that CO probably doesn't have a 6 here.

I was basing my post off your read of the SB, which is "tight but plays hands weird". Obviously a big K is in his range but I think that has to shrink considerably if he's not tricky because the standard line is to bet the big K on the flop with two clubs on board or at the very least c/R when CO bets and button calls. I can't imagine a lot of people slowplaying a big K here.

I just noticed that he also leads into 3 people and not just 2 on the board. Has he ever done this with a big draw or bluff? How often do you expect this tight player to lead without a decent hand?

I guess betting on the river is sort of read dependent and board dependent but I don't think checking trips with a weak kicker is that particularly nitty given the board, your position, and that you only beat 3 hands that have a 6 in it. If the board read something like AK66Q, I will bet like you did and call shoves expecting to chop at worst and stacking against AK/AQ/KQ.

Spechel EDD posted:

Serious? This is live. People will go crazy and make so many calls with just a King.

I'd be calling this river and only folding with a super read on him having a better 6/straight/boat

Seriously! I don't think people calling here with a K are _that_ crazy but given the action and against 2 other players who still show interest after the turn, checking is good, especially with your kicker and the amount of money left behind.

Most of this post I wrote before I even bothered to calculate the pot odds and after I have I think you have to call. The amount you have left to call against the amount in the pot makes this a call getting almost 3.5:1. Pot is $290 on the river, you both have $315 left. You bet $110, he jams for $315, you have to call $205 to win $715. I think now you do have to call. Which again is why I like checking here because when SB jams here you're probably getting the very worst of it.

Not UNIX
Mar 29, 2005
It was stupid speculation when the WSJ reported it, and it's stupid speculation now. It's never going to happen.
Can't find a hand converter for Poker.com so doing this manually

I'm pretty new to this, and this seemed like an unusual situation. I'm curious as to whether or not I handled it well.

$0.02/$0.04 Texas Hold'em (No Limit)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q :h:, A :s:.
UTG raises to $0.34, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.34, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.74) 7 :h:, Q :s:, 8 :s:
UTG bets $1.54, Hero calls $1.54.

Turn: ($3.82) Q :d:
UTG all in for $3.42, Hero calls $3.42.

River: ($10.66) 4 :h:
(no action)

Salt Peanuts
Feb 14, 2005
The idea for this title first cropped up when I was lying drunk in a field in Innsbruck, Austria in 1971.
I've got yet another super-micro-limit (.02/.04)!

Preflop:

Folded to villain ($2.30) in MP who calls .04, LP Calls .04, Hero ($1.71) on the button raises to 2.5x (it was supposed to be 3x, but the program posted .10) with K :h: K :d:, blinds fold to villain who calls .06 along with LP.

Flop: 7 :s: K :s: 6 :d:

Villain bets $.65, LP folds, Hero raises to $1.00, villain calls $.35

Turn: 4 :h:

Villain bets 1.20 and is all-in, Hero calls .61 and is all-in

River: J :d:

Now, I realize this is a train wreck of a loving hand; I should have raised significantly more pre-flop, and I should have pushed all-in on the flop. There was no read on the villain, so I was thinking maybe a set or flush draw on the flop.

Salt Peanuts fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 3, 2007

Pizzlefish
Jun 8, 2005
/\/\ Yeah, that's what I think too. You should have pushed on the flop since you were only sitting on 61 cents more than you bet. The pot odds would have been 1.5 - 1 or so, possibly (not likely at these stakes) chasing out drawing hands but leaving in a set, and you are going to be tossing it in on the turn anyway, even if a scare card hits.

Not UNIX posted:

I'm pretty new to this, and this seemed like an unusual situation. I'm curious as to whether or not I handled it well.

UTG raises to $0.34, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.34, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.74) 7 :h:, Q :s:, 8 :s:
UTG bets $1.54, Hero calls $1.54.

Turn: ($3.82) Q :d:
UTG all in for $3.42, Hero calls $3.42.

River: ($10.66) 4 :h:
(no action)

Assuming he is an average player, you handled it fine. He bet twice pot, which is strange and probably indicates he isnt as strong as he wants to be. Just calling allows flush draws (a very likely hand) a free card, so you could have reraised him all in to protect your hand. Against someone this bet heavy, though, calling is a good play since he will most likely bet out at any card on the turn and you can decide what to do from there.

The turn is an instacall.

Pizzlefish fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 3, 2007

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Salt Peanuts posted:

I've got yet another super-micro-limit (.02/.04)!

Preflop:

Folded to villain ($2.30) in MP who calls .04, LP Calls .04, Hero ($1.71) on the button raises to 2.5x (it was supposed to be 3x, but the program posted .10) with K :h: K :d:, blinds fold to villain who calls .06 along with LP.

Flop: 7 :s: K :s: 6 :d:

Villain bets $.65, LP folds, Hero raises to $1.00, villain calls $.35

Turn: 4 :h:

Villain bets 1.20 and is all-in, Hero calls .61 and is all-in

River: J :d:

Now, I realize this is a train wreck of a loving hand; I should have raised significantly more pre-flop, and I should have pushed all-in on the flop. There was no read on the villain, so I was thinking maybe a set or flush draw on the flop.

You should be raising to closer to 5x preflop with two limpers, also rebuy so you have a full stack before the hand starts, you want to be sitting with at least $3.5 at any time.

You screwed up the action on the flop since you can't raise for less than his bet. Anyway you have two options, shove over his flop bet or call and let him shove the turn. Unless this guy has a habit of making retarded bluffs into preflop raisers then I prefer shoving the flop since he's never folding after he leads twice the pot into both of you.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

Seriously! I don't think people calling here with a K are _that_ crazy but given the action and against 2 other players who still show interest after the turn, checking is good, especially with your kicker and the amount of money left behind.

Most of this post I wrote before I even bothered to calculate the pot odds and after I have I think you have to call. The amount you have left to call against the amount in the pot makes this a call getting almost 3.5:1. Pot is $290 on the river, you both have $315 left. You bet $110, he jams for $315, you have to call $205 to win $715. I think now you do have to call. Which again is why I like checking here because when SB jams here you're probably getting the very worst of it.

After I folded faceup SB showed A6cc in disbelief. He must have been tilted pretty bad because I stacked him twice later with fairly marginal holdings. It just seems so bizarre for SB to check river here with a hand this strong after donking out the turn.

Do you think that if SB pots the river I should check fold? I think the answer here is 'yes', but I still think that if he checks to me I have to bet given how bad CO is .

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Not UNIX posted:

Unless you've got a good read on UTG I fold this preflop. 8.5xBB preflop with AQo seems like a lot 7 handed. I don't really play micro though, so maybe this kind of raise is normal. The flop and turn are fine. I would reraise the flop for information and to prevent the flush draw except that the bet is so large compared to his stack there's pretty much no point. The turn plays itself, obviously.

edit: on the KK hand how the hell did you raise 0.35 over 0.65? Is that just how it is at poker.com? That's almost like a home game. "Oh yeah? Well I call your 100 and raise to 105!"

odiv fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 4, 2007

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

odiv posted:

Is that just how it is at poker.com?

No, he messed up the action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

blah_blah posted:

After I folded faceup SB showed A6cc in disbelief. He must have been tilted pretty bad because I stacked him twice later with fairly marginal holdings. It just seems so bizarre for SB to check river here with a hand this strong after donking out the turn.

Do you think that if SB pots the river I should check fold? I think the answer here is 'yes', but I still think that if he checks to me I have to bet given how bad CO is .
Ignoring the stack sizes, His play is pretty standard and your play is pretty standard after he c/R you on the river. In fact his hand pretty much allows him to c/R because he is expecting you to almost bet here 100% of the time with a 6 and you have a 6 almost 100% of the time because of your position and your relative lack of caring about what the person in front of you or behind you has.

Also when you say check/fold to the pot bet on the river, I think you mean just "fold" since he will be first to act. I would agree with calling a pot bet on the river except if you label this guy as tight, he is not really bluffing here against two people is he? I suppose I would eventually talk myself into calling but I'm probably going to not like doing it and even hate it more if the CO raises.

I don't understand why you have to bet if checked just because the CO is bad. That doesn't change SBs hand who is really the only one you're worried about at this point.

• Locked thread