Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
In case you haven't seen the link, here's a bunch o' NOAH matches: http://theditch.com/chron.html

NOAH saves its very best for the Budokan, and while main events aren't guaranteed awesomeness the shows are reliably good. Plus they don't sell out most of the time so if you're willing to sit about 2/3rds of the way up you can probably get some cheap last-minute tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gus Sawchuk posted:

I'm currently in Japan and I want to go to a puro show, but it seems like the only one I will be able to fit into my schedule would be the 7/15 NOAH show at Budokan. This is apparently the final show of the tour. I'm not really familiar with NOAH besides the old AJPW guys, but would this show be worth seeing? Do you think there will be some pretty big, worthwhile matches?

NOAH has some pretty awesome juniors(KENTA, Marufuji et al). Their upper card I'm not too keen on but it'd still be a pretty bitching show no matter who is on the card.

Also ROH really likes working with these guys if that means anything.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
what's the story with Hansen's blindness? Was it a degenerative thing, or is there a cool story to it?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Nothing cool, his eyes just suck and his opponents paid the price.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

How do puro guys come up with the weirdass names for their finishers? Do they huff pints of raw ether and wait for the muse, or is there some kind of random word sequencer they used to call a knee to the head a Shining Wizard?

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
I don't know, but I AM TAUE is the best move name possible

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

RheinholdMessner posted:

I don't know, but I AM TAUE is the best move name possible

I'm partial to Magic Killer and Iconoclasm, myself.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CombineThresher posted:

I'm partial to Magic Killer and Iconoclasm, myself.

Sternness Dust rulz all

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The whole element of the English language being so prevelent in Japan has effects that are hard to explain, or even comprehend. I think we can just chalk things up to 'they think random English words sound cool together'.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
'Air raid crash' is still my favourite move name.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://theditch.biz/matsuihansen.avi

Whatever happened to that boy

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So what exactly as changed in Japan that makes a junior holding the top belt so difficult? Fujinami was the man in NJPW for so long and started out as a junior and was around that weight for most of his big run.

Obviously there's a 40 lb difference between him and Marufuji, but Liger is 210 and has never had any major drawing power at the top of the card either. Is Fujinami just an exception due to the fact he's Fujinami? Or is he just at that line where it becomes acceptable for a guy to hold the heavyweight belt and be a draw?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Takada: 6'0"
Fujinami: 6'0"
Liger: 5'7"

Fujinami had the frame to be a natural heavyweight once he matured. Liger at his biggest is just short of heavyweight in weight and just too short in height. He doesn't have the stature.

And Marufuji's title defenses only did a legit half-house in terms of sales. Liger would have done better than that in the mid-90s, but he would never have come close to packing the dome.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Even at 5'7 Liger has always looked to me like he's 5'0. He's just so stocky. His arms look so disproportional.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Takada: 6'0"
Fujinami: 6'0"
Liger: 5'7"

Fujinami had the frame to be a natural heavyweight once he matured. Liger at his biggest is just short of heavyweight in weight and just too short in height. He doesn't have the stature.

And Marufuji's title defenses only did a legit half-house in terms of sales. Liger would have done better than that in the mid-90s, but he would never have come close to packing the dome.

I thought the Misawa defense actually did pretty well? The KENTA defense had such an uninspiring card that it was almost destined to fail. (Not that Marufuji would be responsible for a gate when faced with Misawa, but it'd still be a single bad gate with a terrible card his reign is judged on.)

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 31, 2007

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
Yet in America Eddie, Benoit and Rey have all been champion in the last few years. Weird.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Eddie overcame his size with charisma in a way that can't really happen in Japan. Benoit was champ for a few months and never will be again. Rey gets treated like a jobber when he has the belt. None are quite comparable with Fujinami and Takada in becoming among the top draws in the nation's history.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
Not comparable at all really. I just thought it was funny as America is usually seen as being very size-ist, whereas smaller guys have a better chance in Japan. Didn't Misawa start out as a junior as well?

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster

Ditch posted:

I think we can just chalk things up to 'they think random English words sound cool together'.

This is mostly correct. The Japanese sometimes redefine English words to mean what they think they should mean and make them their own in a bizarre way. Sometimes they just get it wrong and don't know any better (Keiji Mutoh's t-shirt that says "You've Got To Fight To Your Life" is a perfect example).

But for the most part you summed it up quite well.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Misawa was a junior as well, but like many others was only a few pounds short of heavyweight status. I was watching a Takada vs Cobra junior title match last night and they both could have easily passed for heavies. Compare to, say, Liger vs Tiger Mask 4, where both are shorter and smaller-framed.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
So I was thinking about the use of Engrish in the context of puro, and a random phrase popped into my head. To my knowledge it hasn't been used before:

"HE IS VERY FIGHTING!"

Sorta in the mold of the Survival Tobita t-shirt with lines like "He is very die hard". And I sorta stumbled onto an explanation for how a phrase like this comes to be.

Take someone who's very ornery, like a Shinya Makabe, always starting feuds and being pissed off. I can see him having a "He is very fighting!" shirt. And it would come about because someone would take the phrase "he is fighting" and attempt to add emphasis. A grammatical way would be "He fights a lot" or "he is fighting a lot". But that would sound lame and English grammar can be hard to understand, whereas 'very' sounds cool and if you aren't thrown off by the grammar it means pretty much the same thing.

So... there ya go.

Bonus extra-awesome option: HE IS VERY MUCH FIGHTING!!

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster

Ditch posted:

"HE IS VERY FIGHTING!"

This is awesome and your description for its creation is highly likely.

Having said that I would buy that shirt in a heartbeat.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Chief Rebel Angel posted:

This is awesome and your description for its creation is highly likely.

Having said that I would buy that shirt in a heartbeat.

That reminds me, if Hisakatsu Oya ever made a MAN OF MEN shirt, I will hunt it down if it kills/bankrupts me. That phrase cracked me up.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
For the benefit of those of you without a DVDVR account... HUSTLE!

http://theditch.biz/purobin/takadawtf.avi
Takada: Ken Masters mark

http://theditch.biz/purobin/Kawadasings.avi
Always a classic

http://theditch.biz/purobin/kawadawtf5-9-07.avi
"Nanto ka na" or however you'd spell it, means "_____ is like".

http://theditch.biz/purobin/YinlingTraining.avi
This is just precious

http://theditch.biz/purobin/Motormouthtajiri.avi
Tajiri: fastest tongue in the east

http://theditch.biz/purobin/AnjohWeeeeee.avi
I really have no idea.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ditch posted:

For the benefit of those of you without a DVDVR account... HUSTLE!

http://theditch.biz/purobin/takadawtf.avi
Takada: Ken Masters mark

I'd rather see Taka: Chris Masters mark

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/68195
Hey it's a column! And I'm mostly bitching about crappy booking! There's a shock.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/68195
Hey it's a column! And I'm mostly bitching about crappy booking! There's a shock.

Didn't Joe recently announce he's going on a tour of Japan soon? TNA to NOAH talent exchange, rumors of Misawa vs Joe in ROH that can no longer happen... Joe challenging for the GHC title as a random outsider?

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
What's the story with Kawada and NOAH? When they need to bring in a big challenger for Misawa, is it completely impossible that they could get him?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

MassRayPer posted:

Didn't Joe recently announce he's going on a tour of Japan soon? TNA to NOAH talent exchange, rumors of Misawa vs Joe in ROH that can no longer happen... Joe challenging for the GHC title as a random outsider?
When has there been TNA to NOAH? It's all about NOAH/ROH. Also Joe isn't over in Japan at all.

RheinholdMessner posted:

What's the story with Kawada and NOAH? When they need to bring in a big challenger for Misawa, is it completely impossible that they could get him?
Kawada cut a post-match promo during the big live broadcast of the 7/18/05 dome show, talking about wanting a rematch. The promo and content weren't okayed by NOAH and there was a big fight when Kawada got backstage. NTV and one of NOAH's main office workers have nixed Kawada from NOAH forever pretty much.

Even though it would solve their attendance problems indefinitely I mean I know they aren't thinking clearly but they CAN'T be this stupid :psyduck:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

When has there been TNA to NOAH? It's all about NOAH/ROH. Also Joe isn't over in Japan at all.

Kawada cut a post-match promo during the big live broadcast of the 7/18/05 dome show, talking about wanting a rematch. The promo and content weren't okayed by NOAH and there was a big fight when Kawada got backstage. NTV and one of NOAH's main office workers have nixed Kawada from NOAH forever pretty much.

Even though it would solve their attendance problems indefinitely I mean I know they aren't thinking clearly but they CAN'T be this stupid :psyduck:

I thought the whole NOAH/TNA relationship that was announced several weeks ago was that NOAH was going to use TNA talent? And given they gave Bison Smith a GHC title shot, why do you assume NOAH is working in reality here with regard to who is over?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Everyone can work with TNA, but that doesn't mean it's actually happening.

Bison has been with the company for years and has earned the respect of the NOAH fans, even if he isn't exactly Vader. Joe was unimpressive in Zero-One five years ago and nobody watches TNA or ROH in Japan; it would be monumentally stupid to book Joe vs Misawa for Budokan Hall unless Joe first had several tours under his belt. Mind you I think Japan missed the Joe boat big time and are foolish for doing so, but imagine if say WWE were to book Cena vs Kawada for Summerslam. That would be bad business. Same if NOAH suddenly thrust Joe into the spotlight.

NOAH makes mistakes, just not those kind of mistakes.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
asking for a rematch is the tamest shoot possible. I know rematches are unheard of in NOAH, but kawada losing and saying "give me another shot coach" is probably the best thing possible. Sometimes I don't understand Japan.

Gus Sawchuk
Jul 13, 2001
Does you guys know anything about the Ultimo Dragon 20th Anniversary show that's going to be at Korakuen next month? I have a chance to go, but I was wondering what to expect from a show like this.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
i'd say to expect a lot of hurracanranas

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

RheinholdMessner posted:

asking for a rematch is the tamest shoot possible. I know rematches are unheard of in NOAH, but kawada losing and saying "give me another shot coach" is probably the best thing possible. Sometimes I don't understand Japan.
I really think it was more about doing it on the prime-time live feed without permission. And there might have been a between-the-lines implication that Kawada wanted his win back.

Gus Sawchuk posted:

Does you guys know anything about the Ultimo Dragon 20th Anniversary show that's going to be at Korakuen next month? I have a chance to go, but I was wondering what to expect from a show like this.
Lots and lots of mediocrity. The Ultimo shows since the split that formed Dragon Gate have produced one memorable match... Minoru Suzuki vs Mecha Mummy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
NOAH's current shittyness is made all the more sad by how good the 4/28 Budokan show was. The GHC tag title match and NOAH vs DG 6 man were both excellent. The title scene is just such poo poo right now though that it is uglying up any good there is.

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!

MassRayPer posted:

... and NOAH vs DG 6 man were both excellent.

Man, I first saw that match over a month ago and I've re-watched it about 3 times since then. Every time CIMA and Marufuji were in the ring together the crowd was buzzing and I was sitting on the edge of my seat.

When they pull the trigger on the one on one match between those two I will be so happy.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
So I'm watching a match from DDT and all of the sudden I see a wrestler with a Star of David on his mask and shirt with the name SUPER JEW. Can someone explain this, because I'm starting to believe that DDT may be the best promotion in wrestling right now.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That would be Super Uchu Power, who was a DDT regular years ago and is pretty much out of wrestling besides the recent appearance. He was a crappy ex-fighter given a gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster

TheDuelies posted:

Man, I first saw that match over a month ago and I've re-watched it about 3 times since then. Every time CIMA and Marufuji were in the ring together the crowd was buzzing and I was sitting on the edge of my seat.

Good stuff in that match, for sure.