Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

I only like to play Heads up NL, but I only have a 30 dollar BR, and playing 5 dollar buy ins is quite a big risk obviously (there aren't any smaller buy ins on stars), any ideas what I can do? How much should my BR be to play these buy ins consistently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1154493

My question here is the turn against a consistent floater. Do you like my line, or do you prefer to lead turn? If you play the turn that way, do you like/dislike my river play?

pootyfulpooty
Jun 21, 2004

toybux posted:

My question here is the turn against a consistent floater. Do you like my line, or do you prefer to lead turn? If you play the turn that way, do you like/dislike my river play?

You played this just fine. If someone is floating you a lot, c/c turn is a lot better then b/f, since you will probably get a lot more value out of hands you are ahead of. Without the read that he is a consistent floater, you can either c/c or b/f, but I'd lean towards b/f in that case, as you don't have a spade and can charge one card flush draws and get value from smaller pairs. River play is good, unless you think he will try and bluff with a 1 pair/1 card flush draw hand on the river if checked to, which doesn't seem likely. Since the board paired, it will be difficult for him to raise your river bet with just a flush as well, but you will definitely get looked up by smaller queens and perhaps some small pocket pairs if he calls down light. Looks good.

pootyfulpooty fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 12, 2007

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
If it's a consistent floater, you're not going to punish him by check/calling, you punish him by betting the flop then check/raising some turns. That way he's not risking just the bet he's putting in to take the pot, he's risking having to make a decision for more chips than he really wanted to. I'm not saying do this every time, and probably not here either (if a blank hit, it'd be fine), but I don't see how c/cing turns is going to stop him from floating you and tell him to shut the gently caress up like checkraising some hands would.

Also, when I make these checkraises, I would be doing it with air fairly often, because if he's really floating you a lot you're not going to get called very much.

Basically you're just trying to win your fair share of the money back.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Chickan Raptor posted:

If it's a consistent floater, you're not going to punish him by check/calling, you punish him by betting the flop then check/raising some turns.

mixing c/c-ing turn with strong hands as well as c/r-ing with them makes hero more difficult to play against (especially if he leads river sometimes as here), since this is going to result in lots of awkward river situations for villain.

the point is to discourage floating because if villain folds on flop more often, hero wins money, and also results in fewer large pots oop; the exact mechanism that you use to do this isn't really as important.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but I think check/raising is more of a discouraging thing for them to deal with than being check/called and bet into. It's more of a personal playstyle thing I guess, but if I were floating people a lot, I would be a lot more willing to keep floating someone who just check/calls me than someone who check/raises me on the turn, because then when they check/raise me, I know I've got to deal with a possibly huge bet on the river if I call, whereas if they just check/call I at least get to see another card before they bet, if they do bet.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
I often would have check-raised the turn had it not come another spade, but as it was I don't think check-raising there is a great idea.

I think what you want to do there depends on how good the person is at floating. If someone will just call with air on the flop and bet almost any turn, then I'm happy to let them keep floating on the assumption that I can probably make better decisions than they can, and exploit their putting money into the pot with crap. In that situation, I think I like the check-call turn better, because I don't want to explicitly discourage floats. If opponent plays fairly well, then I do prefer a check-raise because I want him to float me less and putting pressure on him when he does is a good way to accomplish that. I don't really mind playing a big pot OOP against a bad floater, but I sure don't want to do it against a better player.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
No, I agree, I just meant sometimes. I don't think check raising in this spot is good either.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

Jabe posted:

I only like to play Heads up NL, but I only have a 30 dollar BR, and playing 5 dollar buy ins is quite a big risk obviously (there aren't any smaller buy ins on stars), any ideas what I can do? How much should my BR be to play these buy ins consistently?

Ok, I'll try this again and hopefully I won't be ignored this time around.

So I played some HU matches and I have about 100 dollars now winning 16 and losing 2 HU sng's at a 5.05 buy in. This means I'm finishing first place 88.24% of the time.

How much finishing percentage does an expert or very good HU player have in the long run?
Supposing I'm just a rungood donk, are HU games really profitable enough in the long run and could they be more profitable than ringgames or sngs?
For example, yesterday I was able to pull of 12 games in one hour for 60 bucks and today only 2 games because some people play too tight.
How hard are the 10 and 20 buy-ins in comparison to the 5 buy ins?

Thanks in advance

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Jabe posted:

Ok, I'll try this again and hopefully I won't be ignored this time around.

So I played some HU matches and I have about 100 dollars now winning 16 and losing 2 HU sng's at a 5.05 buy in. This means I'm finishing first place 88.24% of the time.

How much finishing percentage does an expert or very good HU player have in the long run?
Supposing I'm just a rungood donk, are HU games really profitable enough in the long run and could they be more profitable than ringgames or sngs?
For example, yesterday I was able to pull of 12 games in one hour for 60 bucks and today only 2 games because some people play too tight.
How hard are the 10 and 20 buy-ins in comparison to the 5 buy ins?

Thanks in advance

Winning more than 60% of your headsup matches is probably an unreasonable expectation, and even that would mean you're a pretty worldclass player.

HU sngs can be profitable, whether they're more or less profitable than ring or sngs depends on how good you are at each game. If you want to play more games start multitabling.

10 and 20 dollar husngs aren't appreciably harder than $5 buyins

edit: By any chance would you know this guy?

Xyven fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 15, 2007

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Little Joe? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Xyven posted:

Winning more than 60% of your headsup matches is probably an unreasonable expectation, and even that would mean you're a pretty worldclass player.

HU sngs can be profitable, whether they're more or less profitable than ring or sngs depends on how good you are at each game. If you want to play more games start multitabling.

10 and 20 dollar husngs aren't appreciably harder than $5 buyins

Also, :lol: sample size

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

toybux posted:

I don't like this unless he is consistently floating you with bad hands. If he just likes to call a lot of flops that he has hit, that turn card hit him pretty well in terms of what his calling range on the flop should be. I like c/c turn c/f river most of the time because most hands you beat are checking behind on the turn. Again this is hard to figure out without you defining what "consistent floater" means (floats with garbage, floats with draws/middle pair etc). Have any of the HH where you can show his floats?

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
NL50 FR

Preflop: Hero is two off the Button with 2:h:, 2:s:.
UTG calls $0.50, Hero raises $1.75, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, UTG folds.

Flop: ($8) 2:d:, 3:s:, 9:h:.
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $4, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls $4.

Turn: ($16) Q:h:.
Hero bets $7,60, CO goes all-in $64.45, Hero calls $47.15.

River: ($122.50) 3:h:.

Villain shows 9:d: 9:s:.

Looking back, I have no idea what I was thinking.

Morphius22000
Oct 21, 2005

I make last longer bets because I love looking FABULOUS!
Wh..Wh..Why do you have no idea what you were thinking? How is this a bad play at all?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Way to play results oriented poker there Azur. We all do it when we start, you just have to grow out of it. Hindsight is a 20/20 douche, but what exactly are you worried about here? If you are up against a bigger set, whoopity do it happens and it sucks, but it is rare so you suck it up and move on. The next time somebody does this to you, your set holds up against their dominated hand and you are happy.

At 50NL you are way more likely to be running into an overpair or 2 pair in this spot where you are ahead with your set (and a good ways ahead) with 1 card to come.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

If you were to ever fold a set, this could actually be a spot to do so. That being said, I think the hand could have been better played. Lead the flop and lead the turn. Checking the flop can lead to a lot of awkward situations and doesn't really allow you to get the money in fast enough, and checkraising the flop will cause a lot of people to fold 9s or 88 type hands.

Stryfe
Jun 20, 2006
Death is instant, Pain will end, glory is forever
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1182934
ahh, ftp microstakes at work..

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback

Azur posted:

NL50 FR

Preflop: Hero is two off the Button with 2:h:, 2:s:.
UTG calls $0.50, Hero raises $1.75, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, UTG folds.

Flop: ($8) 2:d:, 3:s:, 9:h:.
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $4, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls $4.

Turn: ($16) Q:h:.
Hero bets $7,60, CO goes all-in $64.45, Hero calls $47.15.

River: ($122.50) 3:h:.

Villain shows 9:d: 9:s:.

Looking back, I have no idea what I was thinking.

OK, my initial reply was me thinking that the CO was the PFR. Durrrrr....

I really, really like leading the flop here. A lot of people will interpret a lead at this pot as a c-bet to try to steal on a board that is unlikely to have hit anyone very hard. There are a decent % of people who will raise with air here, putting you on missed overcards or a midpair or maybe a weak nine that will fold to their pressure. Also, some people are nits with JJ/TT preflop, and will happily stack off on this board. Once you check the flop, and then wake up and put more money in on later streets, even SSNL donks get suspicious that you have flopped a monster. The % of the time you get raised by a worse made hand or draw, + the % of the time you get raised by air makes leading way more +EV than going for some weird slow play.

Stryfe posted:

I don't really like your flop bet. If you want to take a stab here, please oh please bet more than half the pot. Half pot there has very very little fold equity against a pretty wide range of hands, and with 3 other people in the pot you are going to get called most of the time.

toybux fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 17, 2007

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Stryfe posted:

congratulations on a badly played hand and posting in the wrong thread

Feb 9, 2007

by The Finn

blah_blah posted:

No no, YOU are the pride of PITR blah_blah :patriot:

Stryfe
Jun 20, 2006

blah_blah posted:

im not any good. thats why im posting here, i want you to tell me what i did wrong so i can improve. thanks for all the great helpful criticism youve given me mr. poker master

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Stryfe posted:

im not any good. thats why im posting here, i want you to tell me what i did wrong so i can improve. thanks for all the great helpful criticism youve given me mr. poker master

In blah_blah's defense don't post the hand and then make a joke, it makes it look like a brag and not a "Hey please critique my hand since I am not good at this". This is a 2 way street people.

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ

Stryfe posted:

PF is marginal but okay.
Flop is awful because youre leading a gutshot broadway where you only have 3 outs to improve to the nuts.
Rest is standard.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Stryfe posted:

this hand is a brag. it is difficult to misplay a hand too badly when you make the nuts and get all the money in. if you want to laugh at how bad the people you play with are, you can post in BBV.

If you wanted to make this a better post, you would

1) include relevant reads
2) ask for help/opinions on something specific (flop lead, or whether to lead turn or go for checkraise
3) not include results

what with keeping in the spirit of the No Limit Critique thread.

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ my bad, didnt notice that thread

ist fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 18, 2007

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

ist posted:

:words:

Wrong thead, post it in the MTT/SNG critique thread.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
What is the best thing to do with one's hand range when the majority of a full ring cash table will call/go broke on just about any 2 cards, thereby making the vast majority of the players unreadable.

I'm assuming I should just be waiting for pocket pairs and high ace hands before playing, raising all such preflop, and then only betting/checkraising if I hit?

I ask about this because I tried to play NL10 at Cake and my god it was horrible. Everyone's unreadable. I don't want to give up on this because I just know that's results-oriented tilty thinking and I think with some advice I can figure out what to do in this situation.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 20, 2007

reethaxor
Apr 26, 2002

Where's that fucking marble?

13/f/cali posted:

:words:
Step 1: Don't play full ring :)

If the table's aggressive, I go into nit mode. Wait for good hands, raise them hard preflop, value the poo poo out of them when they hit on reasonably safe boards, check raise a lot, etc.

If the table's loose and full of calling stations, I tend to limp behind with a lot of drawing hands, raising only with the best hands, and raising hard when I do. I raise most pocket pairs, but generally only in position and mostly for set value. Depending on the players I'll try to get more value out of top pair than I normally would, but it's tricky because you don't want to build a huge pot. Also, don't slowplay anything, ever.

These tables are frustrating to play at but still profitable because your implied odds, when you do hit, are HUGE.

reethaxor fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 20, 2007

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
That was pretty much what I thought I'd hear but I think I needed to hear it from someone else. I guess because I mainly play tournaments I tend to get impatient folding for 3 orbits and start to get habitually antsy worrying about new blind levels that are never going to happen.

edit: Second part of this post removed because on further thinking I decided it was a really stupid question that would not provoke thought or benefit anyone in the slightest.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 20, 2007

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

reethaxor posted:

If the table's aggressive, I go into nit mode. Wait for good hands, raise them hard preflop, value the poo poo out of them when they hit on reasonably safe boards, check raise a lot, etc.

If the table's loose and full of calling stations, I tend to limp behind with a lot of drawing hands, raising only with the best hands, and raising hard when I do. I raise most pocket pairs, but generally only in position and mostly for set value. Depending on the players I'll try to get more value out of top pair than I normally would, but it's tricky because you don't want to build a huge pot. Also, don't slowplay anything, ever.

These tables are frustrating to play at but still profitable because your implied odds, when you do hit, are HUGE.

Yeah i've been pretty successful at NL4 on Cake with this style, although it really makes you hate those borderline marginal hands like AJs or KQ which can cost alot of money if not played correctly (in my case too timid). And NL4 is a minefield.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

reethaxor posted:

Yeah a full ring table full of people going broke with nothing sounds totally unbeatable!

If a full ring game is good, play it.

reethaxor posted:

If people are going broke postflop with relatively weak hands then tightening up is a huge mistake. If they are crazy aggressive preflop then punish them pf with a wider range. If they are crazy postflop then prepare to get it in with one pair more often.

Stryfe
Jun 20, 2006
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1192963

What do you guys think about this hand? Everyone would of done something to that effect right?

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ
That minraise on the flop is pretty bad against two players.

Stryfe
Jun 20, 2006

Spechel EDD posted:

That minraise on the flop is pretty bad against two players.

I raised $2.10 out of my $4.70 stack? thats a minraise?

artard
Sep 11, 2001

Stryfe posted:

I raised $2.10 out of my $4.70 stack? thats a minraise?

minraise means "the minimum raise" and since the bet was $1.05, yes it was a minraise. If a 3-4x raise of the current bet is close to or over half your stack you should just push.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback

Stryfe posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1192963

What do you guys think about this hand? Everyone would of done something to that effect right?

With the stack sizes as they are, just push the flop. First, with a broadway board like that someone is very very likely to call your push. Second, with a board like that, a lot of turn cards could be bad for you, either in beating you or killing your action.

You'll get called more often than not if you push, and you won't be left in no mans land if a T/K/Q/J (or an A, which will kill action against most hands) hits on the turn.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Also fold preflop, with a 50BB stack you dont really want to be playing T9o, you simply can't make enough money the relatively few times you hit the flop hard.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcXDxsDDxs3HzcTExMzHxIjHxsHDw8c%3d

Did I play that right?
On one hand, I was thinking that if I bet at all he would fold (which he did) but do you think I could've extracted more chips by betting pre-flop?

Delysid
Jul 31, 2003

need another damn shooter

rock2much posted:

Did I play that right?
Hard to say as nobody has any way of knowing what you had! From your tone it sounds like you had something at least halfway decent preflop, in which case open limping from the small blind is awful. If you're folded to in the small blind you should almost always be raising or folding.

Also this is a thread for NL cash game hands. Tournament critique thread is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Delysid posted:

Hard to say as nobody has any way of knowing what you had! From your tone it sounds like you had something at least halfway decent preflop, in which case open limping from the small blind is awful. If you're folded to in the small blind you should almost always be raising or folding.

Also this is a thread for NL cash game hands. Tournament critique thread is here.

Oh gently caress I didnt notice that the webpage doesn't show my hold cards. Sorry about that (and being in the wrong thread -_-). I had Q9o.

• Locked thread